Nissan USA ever going to Fix AA?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:00 am
Yep, there's a version 910 that was just issued. You should be able to update it yourself via your home WiFi, that's all a dealer will do if you bring it there.
I will have to do this update this weekend then, unless my father is using it to go anywhere. What are the specifics other than the AA fix on this update?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:06 am
What are the specifics other than the AA fix on this update?
It would be nice if they gave us specifics, but they don't. :facepalm2

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:soap:
For the technical among us, all these AV problems really piss me off because they're all a result of colleges not teaching IT students proper interrupt handling. If they all required one course making students create a blinking LED in assembly language on a simple-minded PIC or AVR using a timer IRQ and an output IRQ, none of this crap would happen. Students would understand how to use a double-buffer and when to use global IRQ disables to avoid overlapping or overwriting data. But noooooo. We'll just send some poor processor off in the weeds in high-level code, then try to figure out later what we did wrong. With 5 or 6 modules operating concurrently in a typical AV, of course that won't be easy.

Aaaargh! :crazy:

Bored2001
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue

Wasn't able to update as of last night

=(

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's out, but I don't know if it's out for all models yet. I haven't seen any official bulletin, but new stuff is all rolling in with 910 installed. There may not be a bulletin, it may just "show up" since it's something customers can self-update.

datechboss101

I just checked this weekend, and 810 is the latest according to the headunit.

howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

So I just had my AV system replaced. Brought in my 2018 Rogue Hybrid in for my final "free service/repair etc before 36 months hit and because the AV system rebooted a few times and I lost all my settings again (was pissed) and I also mentioned the Android Auto audio cut out.

The service notes say:

E: Confirmed customer concerns, with AV unit issues rebooting and found software was up to date at 0810 version found tech line case to result in a replacement AV unit.

F: Customer states intermittently when listening to Android Auto it will cut out then back on. - See Repair Line E

Anyways just picked up my Rogue today and the Entertainment system is now running 0910 now.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

howie411 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:17 pm
Anyways just picked up my Rogue today and the Entertainment system is now running 0910 now.
Yep, everything new is coming through with 0910. I'm frankly puzzled why it isn't in the database for self-update yet.

datechboss101

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:06 pm
howie411 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:17 pm
Yep, everything new is coming through with 0910. I'm frankly puzzled why it isn't in the database for self-update yet.
Any idea when Nissan would make this a self-update? If not, I would need to take the Rogue to a different Nissan dealer after sour relations with the close-by one.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:08 pm
VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:06 pm
Any idea when Nissan would make this a self-update? If not, I would need to take the Rogue to a different Nissan dealer after sour relations with the close-by one.
We can't do it at the dealership either, until it gets into the database. For OTA models, the only updates we have are the same as what's available to you. Please don't waste your time thinking a trip to the dealer will accomplish anything. When you go to the dealer with an OTA car, all they can do is connect to the dealer WiFi and go through the same update screens you'd use for yourself.

datechboss101

Any ETA on when Nissan will push the update? My 19 is still showing version 0810 and we will be using the Rogue for a week starting from this Saturday and my phone will be the main source for music for the entire trip.

datechboss101

Still on 0810 after multiple tries and attempts to get 0910. New issue for the 0810: Same audio issue from Spotify is now coming through Samsung Music Player; found this while we took the POS Rogue to Port Canaveral with the family (the 19 Rogue is never meant to be a family vehicle in our household).

Vstar-- Any ideas on when this will be pushed out or is this still a dealer thing?

tsumeone
Car: n/a

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:11 am
We can't do it at the dealership either, until it gets into the database. For OTA models, the only updates we have are the same as what's available to you. Please don't waste your time thinking a trip to the dealer will accomplish anything. When you go to the dealer with an OTA car, all they can do is connect to the dealer WiFi and go through the same update screens you'd use for yourself.
That seems incorrect, because the below TSB for the Rogue clearly shows steps the dealer can take to get the lastest update from ASIST and install it via USB.

NTB21-029
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/ ... 6-0001.pdf

Someone on the Google forum thread for Nissan Android Auto issues said the dealership updated their unit and fixed their Android Auto problems. This was the TSB printed on their receipt: NTB21-029

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

tsumeone wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:08 pm
the below TSB for the Rogue clearly shows steps the dealer can take to get the lastest update from ASIST and install it via USB.
Please note that the bulletin only applies to certain head units with 810 firmware, p/n's 25915-8FM0C or 2591A-8FM0C. It is not a global fix, other p/n's are excluded. See page 4 of the bulletin.

tsumeone

Yes, however that exact ASIST process (including the part where it says "Select the check box next to the IVI002 infotainment software update") applies to all of the other cars that have the Android Auto problem (Sentra, Altima, etc). If you look at the less restrictive TSBs for those cars, they too specifically say "IVI002”. My point was that dealerships DO indeed have the ability to download software outside the OTA process. And I'm willing to bet that exact process would work even if the model number of the stereo weren't an exact match, since the same process with that same update name applies to wildly different cars. The update is probably less specific than it's being made out to be.

Nissan has a history of leaving the Rogue out of TSBs that otherwise should apply to it. There are a handful of TSBs for major issues with my 2014 Rogue that were issued years after the same TSB was issued for the Altima which used identical parts or nearly identical parts for things like the stereo and CVT. Not going to speculate as to why, just saying it happened and is probably happening again with this AA issue on the MY19 rogue.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I never said we didn't, only that there was no global upgrade to 910. Only heaven knows how many USB updates we did on the '14~'15 Alties when they came out, there were 4 different revs with 4 different sticks. It's very common.

tsumeone

I'm just 95% certain that you could take any 2019 Rogue that supports Android Auto and follow that same ASIST process to update it, regardless of the submodel being slightly different. Since the update name is the same for so many different Nissan models and model years, it would seem to be a generic update package. Nissan's TSB for this appears to be unnecessarily specific (and I understand there are many reasons why this might be the case, including minimizing paying out for warranty work they think is unnecessary) but when they drag their feet addressing a big problem like the AA issue for seemly no reason it drives customer dissatisfaction. Clearly they have the updated software because people are getting replacement stereos with it starting many months ago. They say the Rogue supports OTA. So what's the hold up?

I am somewhat familiar with these problems and processes, as Nissan did not address the problem of the 2014 Rogues nav unit being bricked by map update SD cards until my Rogue was out of warranty. Some generous soul uploaded the the D407 update files to the internet and I did the whole update myself. It was not rocket science and I didn't even need to use their special flash drive. Now my radio runs an even newer software D554 that was never released in NA (every software update package for the LCN2 radios were global and included all the files necessary for every region).

I assume it's similar with the 2019s, and hopefully some of these new right to repair laws will force companies like Nissan to make these updates accessible to customers since they can't seem to figure out how to do it OTA. Rant over.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I have no idea what makes you think Nissan would drag their feet. The fact is, there are a minimum 5 different modules inside a modern radio, and on a Nissan they come from a minimum 3 different manufacturers. They all have their own proprietary firmware and all need to talk to one another and monitor each other's functions. So sorting out firmware issues isn't some guy in a tee shirt staring at a debugging screen. One thing I'll assure you, don't plug the wrong thumb drive for your part number into your radio. You'll be sorry, probably to the tune of $800~$2300.

tsumeone

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:47 pm
I have no idea what makes you think Nissan would drag their feet.
Well, aside from the past experience with Nissan I mentioned in my prior post:
  • These units are all made by BOSCH
  • They all run essentially the same software
  • Nissan has been aware of the problem for over a year
  • Almost every other model using the same/similar radio got a TSB specifically mentioning android auto almost a year ago
  • All of those models have also gotten an OTA
  • The Rogue still does not have a TSB specifically mentioning android auto issues and still no OTA, despite using the same base software with the same problems
VStar650CL wrote:
The fact is, there are a minimum 5 different modules inside a modern radio, and on a Nissan they come from a minimum 3 different manufacturers. They all have their own proprietary firmware and all need to talk to one another and monitor each other's functions. So sorting out firmware issues isn't some guy in a tee shirt staring at a debugging screen.
You're correct, but you must also realize that BOSCH makes all of these radios. There are likely some changes under the hood (different bluetooth radio, different FM receiver, etc) between part numbers. However, it is exceedingly unlikely that BOSCH makes a special software build for each of these. It is significantly more likely that their software updates include the required drivers/firmware to speak to all of those different module variations. Easier for them to do it that way, really no reason to think it would be otherwise. The fact that the software update in ASIST has the same number for all of these different models and years really points to this being the case.
VStar650CL wrote:
One thing I'll assure you, don't plug the wrong thumb drive for your part number into your radio. You'll be sorry, probably to the tune of $800~$2300.
Just want to point out the D407 software I put on my 2014 Rogue was performed with files ripped from a flash drive meant for a Nissan Xterra, and the D554 files were meant for a European Qasqai. Both worked flawlessly. Your premise isn't wrong (of course you would be in big trouble if you tried to install 2019 Rogue software on a 2014 Rogue with an entirely different stereo OS), but I bet those 4 different flash drives you mentioned earlier for the single model year Altima are really not as different as you think.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

tsumeone wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:06 pm
You're correct, but you must also realize that BOSCH makes all of these radios.
Yes, and Nissan doesn't. Nor do they write the firmware. So tell me exactly, you're ragging on Nissan why?

Oh, yah... maybe I just haven't complained about Bosch enough different times in enough different places. :facepalm:

tsumeone

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:48 pm
So tell me exactly, you're ragging on Nissan why?
Because the updated software exists so it would appear BOSCH did their part. Otherwise people would not be receiving replacement stereos with 0910 installed or occasionally getting a dealership that is willing to run the process to get the update in ASIST and coming back with 0910.

It's Nissan's job to roll the software out. If there is a problem with rolling it out, the onus is on Nissan to (at the very least) communicate that there is a problem and what they're doing about it. Since this is a fairly severe issue and it's been over a year now, it's the least they can do.

Nissan did a piss-poor job with the update for my 2014 Rogue, so I definitely feel justified in calling them out for doing the same thing to 2019 Rogue owners when I see history repeating itself. This is nothing against you or the dealerships or anything like that, I know it's not any of your faults. The issue is complacency and possibly even ineptitude at a higher level within Nissan North America.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:facepalm:

Return to “Rogue Forum”