Nissan Sentra reliability (Please sign up if you're new)

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

In the fall of 2005, I started conducting my own reliability research, with the aim of reporting more detailed and more easily compared information than is currently available. While over 18,000 cars have been enrolled in the panel, far more are needed. So I am very grateful that the owner of this forum has seen the value of this research and agreed to help out.

I haven't started collecting data on any year of the Sentra yet, because not enough are signed up.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, anyone who helps provide the reliability data will have free access to the results. The first results have been released for a few models (not including any Nissans or Infinitis). Updated results will be posted quarterly.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Comments and questions very welcome.
Modified by mkaresh at 10:01 AM 9/19/2007

streeteg

my alternator just went on my Daily D so I am kinda pissed right now.

Help any?

mkaresh

Might help others.

To be helpful for this research, you've got to sign up and participate.

mkaresh

A number of model years are almost halfway to the minimum now. I'd like to get started with the Sentra, just need more participants.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

hunter151

I registered with both of my sentras.

mkaresh

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Now over halfway with the 2001, and nearly halfway with other years. Oddly, though, there are nearly three times as many Versas as Sentras enrolled, and the Versa was just introduced last year. Where are the Sentra owners?

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

I just bought my '07 Sentra in July. I am 98% happy with it. I wish I had gone with the Versa (I have a thing for hatches) but I decided on something larger. The only major complaints I have is 1. the shifter is notchy and indirect into 1st and 2nd gear and the clutch pedal is TOO high and 2. the stock suspension sucks. Obviously with the release of full suspension kits (I hope) I can aleviate the problem with #2 (LOL). I don't know about the shifter problem, anyone else with a 6 speed have the same issue?

mkaresh

Are any aftermarket short-throw kits available? I have one in my Mazda. Don't know if they do much to reduce notchiness, but they can take the slop out.

jbarbaresi
Car: 2007 NISSAN SENTRA SE-R SPEC V

nissantech i also have the same problem with the notchy shift between 1st and 2nd. see forum below for thread.

zerothread/279952

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

jbarbaresi wrote:nissantech i also have the same problem with the notchy shift between 1st and 2nd. see forum below for thread.

zerothread/279952

I don't get it. A few others have the same issue. I can't figure out what the hell is causing it. I have taken the whole console apart searching and watching the levers move with each shift.

jbarbaresi
Car: 2007 NISSAN SENTRA SE-R SPEC V

i don't know, i wish i had some good input but unfortunately i don't know very much about mechanical type issues. at least i'm not the only one having the problem. i guess it's not anything that's going to be fixed any time soon either if people with prior generations remember the same problem. anyways, let me know if you guys pin point it and figure something out. also keep me updated on that nismo crap.

mkaresh

nissantech06 wrote:

I don't get it. A few others have the same issue. I can't figure out what the hell is causing it. I have taken the whole console apart searching and watching the levers move with each shift.
I think the problem has to be inside the gearbox. I've installed a short-throw shifter in my Mazda, and there's just not that much to the shifter assembly itself.

playerskills101
Car: 1995 Nissan Sentra Xe

ive been through 2 nissan sentra's1995 sentra xe1997 sentra gxe4 motors2 trans 6 heads 4 alternators3 starters but i love my car wouldnt give it up for the worldmy cars in the shop now loli just bought a 95 put a motor in it then 2 weeks later i cracked the head then i put it in the shop and got a new head put on so when i got it out this last time not even 10 min after i left the shop smoke started pouring out of the exhuast like it was on fire it didnt do that before i put the head on hell when it was leaking water in the head it ran just fine but ive spent 4 grand on this car in 2 months and havent been able to drive it what do yall think

mkaresh

Those are fairly old cars. But still, clearly not the best luck.

B13_VE
Car: 1991 B13 Classic Se-R Neo VVL Powered

They are pretty reliable if you take care of them...

Mine Neo-VVl swapped holds up well as long as its taken care of...

nissan_4_life
Car: 2006 nissan sentra 1.8s

just registered my 06 sentra

copperdog
Car: nissan sentra

I have a 97 sentra and its constantly costing money. Im on my second alternator fourth starter, new ignition, new keys cut (you know the special straight from the factory 80 dollar ones. DId I mention the major oil leaks and power steering leak. I live in Canada and the gasline I think has just froze for the third time. The seatbelts in the back wont retract and the front visors wont stay up. I would drive it over a cliff but first it would have to start ha. Maybe I should push it over a cliff. Oh I almost forgot the rotors all warped and the trunk and gas door wire mechanism wont work. The radio digital display hasnt worked for eight years. If you see a used Sentra for sale run away screaming and kiss the first pinto you see cause its gotta be more reliable than this piece of junk.

copperdog

I believe they are hitchhiking

copperdog

mkaresh wrote:Thanks, I appreciate it.

Now over halfway with the 2001, and nearly halfway with other years. Oddly, though, there are nearly three times as many Versas as Sentras enrolled, and the Versa was just introduced last year. Where are the Sentra owners?
I believe they are hitchiking

livinloud98
Car: 2007 sentra S

i had the cv boot torn and started leaking oil within the first month of owning my 07

manuelism
Car: 1987 Nissan Sunny (rz-1)

i have a sentra sunnny, and its not very reliable

Djstudda
Car: Nissan Sentra Se-R Spec-V

Hi i'm new. I have a Blue 2003 Nissan Sentra Se-R Spec- V.

2nd Runner
Car: 2002 G20 Sport

New to the board, I have a 2002 SE-R. No probs at all just the ECU recall that left me stranded in Rocky Point, Mexico But other than that the sucker is buullet proof.

Jaylyons1
Car: 04 Subaru WRX STi / 96 Nissan Sentra GXE

Just bought myself a 96 Sentra for commuting for $3900. It has just under 49k miles. will probably do a bit of work to it just because I dont see myself owning a car and not doing something... Will update on how reliable it is!

PAG20
Car: 96 G20

Hey All,

I'm new to this board. I owned a new 94 Sentra from 94-97. I never had any trouble with it. Based on that experience and other Nissan / Datsun experience (70's B210, 82 Sentra wagon, 87 pickup, and 2000 Maxima) I just purchased a very clean 96 G20 with 109,000 miles.

I'm a little alarmed at some of the posts on this thread, but then I've noticed that people with negative experiences are more likely to post than people with positive experiences. That little quirk of human nature is probably going to create a false negative impression of Nissan reliability.

Hopefully my experience with this G20 will be as good as all of my past experience. The only problem I ever had with all of my prior Nissan products was the B210 dropped a valve seat while the engine was off. I pulled the head and had a new seat installed and we were good to go.

I'm looking forward to learning all I can about this new G20.

Ted

Nissmoser
Car: 96 nissan 200sx se-r

Hi am am new to the forum. I have 96 200sx se-r. It has been a toy for a long time. At one point and time it ran 8.80's in the 1/8th. Now it is just my DD.

LostCauseSPECV
Car: 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V

Hello I am new to the board I have a 04 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V that I bought in 04. So far not so happy with it I have been threw two tranny's and that ECU recall now I am getting ready to rip it apart and start reconstruction on it. I have lots of plans just need a little help with the process.

polanderson
Car: Nissan Sentra

i have a 1990 nissan sentra and for almost 18 yrs, it served my family well but right now, it's starting to wear down..

lopomatic_static

My first car was a 1992 Nissan Sentra 2 door which I purchased in 2003 with about 104k miles for only $800 bucks. I wish I would have kept that car, to be honest. She was clean, ran smooth, and was hella fun to take off-roading.

My second and current car is a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, purchased with about 27k miles, back in 2004. It now has 108k miles on it, and leaks oil. Obviously, I care very little for cars and machines in general. But I would say for the 4 years of poor driving, speeding, road-trips, and curb hops, this car has done me well. I came on this board to see why my car is leaking oil. I have never once done any kind of under-the-hood cleaning. Nor have I had it taken in for any of the numerous safety recalls for the 02, 03 sentras.

Reliable? I would say so. My only major problems, besides my own ignorance, have been the battery cable coming loose due to it not being properly secured/fastened. Also, tires for this car are not cheap, and now my oil leaks.

I think Nissan Sentras are great cars if treated well (my First Sentra being a good example of that).

Modified by lopomatic_static at 11:51 PM 5/31/2008

mkaresh

Is it burning oil, or simply leaking oil?

If it's leaking oil, that's a seal or a gasket, and maintenance couldn't have prevented it.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”