Nissan Sentra reliability (Please sign up if you're new)

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

We have updated results for the Sentra to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 48

2007: 51

2002: 67

2001: 116

The 2002 is better than average, the others are about average. Decent sample size for the 2008, very small sample sizes for the others--additional participants very much needed.

A big thanks to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information. Especially need more 2009s.

Nissan Sentra reliability comparisons

clutch101

I have a 2005 Sentra and over the 2 years I’ve owned it, the right rear window has fallen down, the clip that holds the trunk lock has rusted out, the right front plastic wheel well has cracked and broken and the windshield washer fluid tank has sprung a leak. So far the engine and transmission have been sound, it gets good gas mileage and has emissions, so I think I’ll keep it for a while longer.

slowhonduh93
Car: 2002 Nissan Spec V and 2004 Mazda3 S

Registered both my vehicles. 02 Spec V and 04 Mazda3 S.

mkaresh

Thanks, I appreciate it.

We have updated results for the Sentra to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 37

2007: 25

2001: 107

The 2001 is about average, the others are now better than average. Decent sample size for the 2008, very small sample sizes for the others--additional participants very much needed.

A big thanks to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information.

b13boy!
Car: 1993 nissan sentra

im new to nico but already loving it i am a proud owner of a 93 xe sentra 5 speed i love it i am having problems getting the coolant to circulate it started over heating so we changed the thermostate when i bought it it needed a head gasket so we fixed that and i replaced the thermostate and now its not wanting to circulate it seems to be getting on the left side of the block but not on the right the hose coming out of the front on the right side going to the bottom of the radiator is staying ice cold we have made sure nothings blocked its all clear and its still not getting there and the temp gauge keeps pegging anyone have any suggestions?

nissanlover23
Car: 1989 240sx and 2003 nissan sentra ser spec v

i hate my 2003 sentra ser spec v everytime i fix something else breaks. it only has 64000 miles on it and i have replaced the cat, both cam and crank sensors, the maf, the header and the throttle body. It makes a ticking noise when you get around 2000-2500 rpms and it has been going on for a year now and i cant figure it out. It keeps poping codes for the cam sensor even tho i have replaced it twice and know it is sputtering when you hit the gas. I just cant figure this car out it is one headache after another. any suggestions will help and please dont give me any crap like i should have gotten a different car.

mkaresh

We have updated results for the Sentra to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 37

2007: 14

2002: 42

2001: 111

The 2001 is about average, the others are better than average. Decent sample size for the 2008, very small sample sizes for the others--additional participants very much needed.

A big thanks to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information.

mkaresh

Just enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants in mid-April.

Car reliability research

TwistedRoads
Car: sentra/maxima

:dblthumb: 2001 sentra, 210,000.00 miles bought new from dealer. 2 recalls when new ECU computer, 4 new wheels trouble with the lug holes spliting open, all other is regular matainance mostly .4 sets front brakes pads ,1 set rear brake shoes, 1 battery, 4 sets of tires, 1 altenator last week, 2 sets of belts, I lowered it @ 100k eibach prolines and kyb gr2s. have used full syntetic oil and gear oil since 1st scheduled changes. and a k&n air filter this car has been great 38+ gas mileage, except in winter when we go to full snow tires love my sentra!

JaiKool
Car: Nissan Sentra 2001 GXE

I love My Car Nissan Sentra 2001 GXE. :dblthumb:

sentrababy
Car: 2008 Nissan Sentra

I enrolled my 2008 Sentra :)

charsiukitty
Car: 1997 Platinum Gold (KN4) Sentra GXE 1.6, *Possible Future Nissan project here*

copperdog wrote:I have a 97 sentra and its constantly costing money. Im on my second alternator fourth starter, new ignition, new keys cut (you know the special straight from the factory 80 dollar ones. DId I mention the major oil leaks and power steering leak. I live in Canada and the gasline I think has just froze for the third time. The seatbelts in the back wont retract and the front visors wont stay up. I would drive it over a cliff but first it would have to start ha. Maybe I should push it over a cliff. Oh I almost forgot the rotors all warped and the trunk and gas door wire mechanism wont work. The radio digital display hasnt worked for eight years. If you see a used Sentra for sale run away screaming and kiss the first pinto you see cause its gotta be more reliable than this piece of junk.
I have one as well ('97, GXE, 1.6l, 100K+ miles) and I'll admit, while EVERYTHING about the car costs a considerable amount of quid (new radiator was a big one), they're reliable as hell. I just did some electrical work on it and she runs awesome. I'll have to get the engine overhauled later but I'll agree with that other user that said: "If you take care of them, they'll last forever". So far she's ran 100K+ and with the care I give to her, she'll continue to run another 100K.

primera speed
Car: nissan primera

hi. i'm new. i own a nissan sentra super saloon(b14) and a nissan primera (p11) how do i participate in the reliability survey?

primera speed
Car: nissan primera

okay...repairs..well honestly, since i had my sentra i'v changed an alternator. that's it! i have had it for 3years now. i installed a k&n filter and it works really well.

mkaresh

We have updated results for the Sentra to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 29

2007: 13

2006: 18

2004: 39

2002: 58

2001: 92

The 2001 is about average, the others are better than average. Decent sample size for the 2008, very small sample sizes for the others--additional participants very much needed.

A big thank you, once again, to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

RShores228
Car: 93' sentra se-r

Hello- reliability issues.. truly awesome! i bought a 93 sentra se-r brand new when i graduated HS. it now has 245,000miles and still running hard and fast! i nicknamed it my "red rocket" cuz its been all that and more! i have literally drove the hell out of this car and it just continues to surprise me. i've raced an M3 doing 140mph and gave him everything he could handle and more on my STOCK ride. Once when i was on a road trip i literally drove on the interstate 115mph the whole way and i stopped to get some gas i went 120 miles and i only used 2 gallons of gas!! =-O of course that wasnt very often i achieved that fete but still it was worth mentioning. i still average a good 40mpg+ doing 80mph all day long! =-) i love the sr20 motor! this thing is bulletproof! the only things that i have replaced (due to wear out) starter and like mostly everyone did the 5th gear pop out deal. ive had 2 tranny's put in it. here is what is the best part. it went out again about 80k miles ago. so i figured id just run this thing in 4th gear the rest of the way until it blew something up then i'd replace it with a SRVE with B15 tranny ;-) but much to my surprise, this car just keeps on chugging! high rpm's and everything still running this thing like a bat out of hell! haha about a year ago i started doing some preventative maintance and upgrades to the thing. new struts, bigger brakes, cold air intake, new headers, exhaust, new cv's joints (boot was starting to crack) the only other thing im gonna have to do is replace the headliner. had a big hail storm here and softball size hail stone hit right beside where the sunroof is and when i got it fixed i didnt notice in time that it was leaking and thus now my headliner needs replaced cuz it has gotten wet and is now rotting. soo thatll have to be fixed. but other than that, this thing is a great car. i love it and im probly just gonna redo the whole car with body kit, whole new interior, and get it ready for when the motor does finally go from my excessive abuse! haha then just give it to my 16yr old nephew and let him enjoy it. these cars are truly a fun ride! ive so truly enjoyed having this car the past 18yrs. with my job its just used as a commute car now, but it makes the commute a great one when i hit the passing lanes! :biggrin: So for me the reliability is an A+++ good times!

JBlaze23
Car: 2003 SE-R Spec V

Man where to start, the idiot I bought the car from murdered the clutch, in my 03 SE-R Spec V, but ive babied her back to health or some slight abuse, South Florida drivers are krazy, to bad for them I grew up in Miami.. muahahaha, but ive slid out in the snow in wyoming and did a lil E-Driftin until I hit a curb and bent the control arm so far the the wheel barely turned. But yet again got her fixed and shes been doing good up until I got the dreaded engine knock, im sure its from doing triple digits on a constant basis.. yes even through school zones.. ah j/k but other than that the car has been a dream. Not let me down yet, even took out a honda egg, crossfire, and held it weight with an audi 2.0T, not to mention im a krazy driver and will do some nutz stuff to win.. yes including drivin on the median, and oncomming traffic.. like I said, I learned to drive/race in turbo S-13. But Spec V's are an all around great and fun car, my son's taking this one off my hands and it will def b a treat.. Working to saveup the money for the vq35 swap.. Did I mention my son is only 7 months old.. Yea im in it for the long run.. Never getting rid of this car..

mkaresh

We have updated results for the Sentra to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 30, better than average

2007: 59, about average

2006: 15, better than average

2005: 64, about average

2004: 54, better than average

2002: 79, about average

2001: 60, better than average

Decent sample size for the 2008, small and even very small sample sizes for the others--this likely explains the inconsistency from year to year--additional participants very much needed.

A big thanks to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Chris2.0SR
Car: 2010 Nissan Sentra SR Metallic Blue

I have a 2010 Sentra 2.0SR. Right as I hit 1,000 miles on the odometer, the fusebox attached to the battery shorted out and fried itself and the ECM. Apparently this happened to quite a few cars at the same time, as they had all come through the dealership's service department around that time with the same problems, according to the service manager.

mkaresh

We have updated results for the Sentra to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2008: 31, better than average

2007: 70, about average

2006: 16, better than average

2005: 33, better than average

2004: 80, about average

2002: 81, better than average

2001: 59, better than average

Decent sample size for the 2008, small and even very small sample sizes for the others--additional participants very much needed.

A big thank you, once again, to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Nissan Sentra reliability ratings and comparisons

lime
Car: 2001 NISSAN Sentra GXE, 1.8L,5spd

Hi.
I just bought a 2001 Nissan Sentra and hope it's not as bad as it sounds in these forums. 259K and everything checked in at the prepurchase inspection.
I look forward to updating my reliability-experience with it on a monthly basis.
185/65/14, is this the right size of tire for a 2001 Nissan Sentra?

Cheers.

tasha33
Car: Nissan Sentra 2006 Special Edition

I have a Nissan Sentra 2006 Special Edition, I am currently having issues with my Rockford Fosgate radio. The display flickers and sometimes it will go dead, I am not able to use any of the buttons except the volume works. If someone could give me some advice on what radio model will be compatiable with the 6 CD disk changer and the sub, I would greatly aprreciate it!!!! Thank you in advance. :)

93sentra_B13
Car: 1993 Nissan Sentra B13

I'm new here also. Car is a 1993 Sentra base. I'm not the original owner, but the only major work done on it that I know of is the recall for the struts (front? rear? I can't recall) way back...

Other than that, just the basic maintenance on brakes and such I think. Sadly she's rusting a bit. Does anybody know how to repair rust? heh..

1995nissan200sxlvr
Car: 1995 Nissan 200sx SE

I have a 95 200sx se. and the only problems so far that i have had outta it is the cv joints. :/ and still waiting to get the thing refixed. got new cv joints like 1 month ago and the one on passenger side decides to get a tear in it. heck ill be suprised if i dont have to buy ANOTHER cv joint :( dont wantto but o well. ( the car is super low. lower than any other 200sx's i have seen!

mkaresh

We have updated results for the Sentra to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since last April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2008: 16, better than average

2007: 60, about average

2006: 16, no repairs reported, 11 cars

2005: 35, better than average

2004: 67, better than average

2002: 141, about average

2001: 61, better than average

Decent sample size for the 2008, small and even very small sample sizes for the others, which likely explains inconsistencies--additional participants very much needed.

A big thanks to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help provide this information:

TrimDude
Car: 2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0

1986.5 Nissan Hardbody Single Cab 2WD, 5 speed, VG30i, PW, PDL, Tilt, Cruise and all sorts of other factory options.

2009 Sentra 2.0 FE+
Good overall, some brake noise in the morning, some valvetrain noise and a couple of rattles. Not too much to get my panties in a bunch about though. Overall a good little car.
:biggrin:

mkaresh

We have updated our car reliabilty stats for the Sentra to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2008: 41, better than average

2007: 56, about average

2006: 19, beter than average

2005: 36, better than average

2004: 88, about average

2002: 130, about average

2001: 105, about average

Decent sample size for the 2008, small and even very small sample sizes for the others--additional participants very much needed.

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh

We have updated our car reliability stats for the Sentra to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

2008: 26, better than average

2007: 28, better than average

2005: 18, better than average

2004: 64, better than average

2002: 95, about average

2001: 129, about average

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh

We have updated our reliability stats for the Sentra (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through December 31, 2011.

2008: 33, better than average

2007: 51, better than average

2006: 17, better than average

2001: 119, about average

Small and even very small sample sizes for all of these years.

A big thanks once again to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

mkaresh

We have updated our reliability stats for the Sentra to include owner experiences through June 30, 2012.

2008: 35, better than average

2007: 67, about average

2001: 97, about average

Small and even very small sample sizes for all of these years, so these stats are not precise.

We'll have further updates in November and February. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”