General Brake Pads & Rotors Discussion

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Mysticrhythm wrote:Quick question guys...I have a 2008 Rogue that I've never had to replace the brake pads on. Sitting right over 124k now and in the last couple months my brakes have started to squeak when I come to a stop...nothing grinding or earsplitting, just a definite high pitched squeak. I'm a total car noob so in doing some brief research I'm shocked to see that it looks like I should have had to replace the pads long before now. My question is this...since the mileage is as high as it is are my rotors likely going to need replacing too? What about calipers? There is no shuddering at all when I brake.

My husband is probably going to insist he do the work himself, he's by no means an expert but he's good at researching and figuring stuff out (hell I'm sure I could do it with the right tools, vids make it look pretty simple and frankly I'd love to have a go at them myself but I know he'll insist he do them lol) but I'm afraid he'll try to do the least possible to save money and just replace the pads only when much more might need to be done. Any advice appreciated :)
welcome aboard! thank you for posting your question in the correct thread.

regarding your post: congrats on making it that far on OEM/stock pads. thats a first!
i know you said your brakes dont "shake" (bad rotors), but i will tell you this: at your mileage, i would replace the rotors & pads for sure. i would inspect the calipers inside-out. there is no reason to be cheap now, and replace the pads only, and then have to go BACK in and do the rotors within a few months anyway. time is money.

ezb57e

Welcome to the forum! The fact that your brakes lasted so long says that you were easy on them, that and the fact that there is no pulsation increases the likelihood that the rotors won't need replacement. That said, you can't say for sure until you have a look and ideally measure their thickness and run-out. If you live in an area of snow and/or rust, the rotors may show issues with contact that could indicate their replacement. Replacing the pads only is a option if all looks well. There are factory bulletins for vehicles that call for pad replacement without and rotor resurfacing or replacement, so it can be done with good results. It can be a fairly easy job, take a look and have at it!
Good luck.

Mysticrhythm
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Thanks guys! I do tend to go easy on the brakes like slowly braking long before lights etc and the majority of my driving is highway. I live in south Texas so no rust or snow here...is measuring the only way to know if rotors need to be replaced? I will probably want to just replace them as suggested but my husband will probably need to be shown why I'd want to replace them. Also regarding the calipers, is checking the seal the only thing to look for when inspecting those? I haven't done much research on those yet...
Thanks for the input guys!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Mysticrhythm wrote:Thanks guys! I do tend to go easy on the brakes like slowly braking long before lights etc and the majority of my driving is highway. I live in south Texas so no rust or snow here...is measuring the only way to know if rotors need to be replaced? I will probably want to just replace them as suggested but my husband will probably need to be shown why I'd want to replace them. Also regarding the calipers, is checking the seal the only thing to look for when inspecting those? I haven't done much research on those yet...
Thanks for the input guys!
here is a PSA video i made:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E__S7SFKJEM[/youtube]

here is a video i made teaching you how to rebuild calipers:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJlBG-HbFCw[/youtube]

here is a full brake job video that i made:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMMyS6igo1Y[/youtube]

Mysticrhythm

Thanks so much Imstricken! Those vids will be a huge help. Saw your vid yesterday for replacing the spark plugs as well which I'll be doing this weekend. :dblthumb:

Mysticrhythm

Oh my goodness...finally had a minute to watch the PSA video and I had no idea. We were thinking of putting off the brake job until after the holidays but now I'm going to do them ASAP. This is the car that my 3 year old daughter and I use everyday. Thanks so much.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Mysticrhythm wrote:Oh my goodness...finally had a minute to watch the PSA video and I had no idea. We were thinking of putting off the brake job until after the holidays but now I'm going to do them ASAP. This is the car that my 3 year old daughter and I use everyday. Thanks so much.
that why i congratulated you when i heard how far you have driven, without having to even change your pads! lol
but in all seriousness, brakes are to be inspected at a minimum of once a year. its like taking your children to the DR once year for check-up.

re-read this thread from the beginning, and you will read about the horror people have faced. many had no idea why or what caused their brakes to fail early. they just got a bill stating brake parts needed to be replaced. Nissan refuses to acknowledge the brake problem with this car: failing caliper seals(inside square-cut & boot), warping rotors, pad wear.

Mysticrhythm

Children are supposed to go see a doctor once a year?? Lol jk of course. I know I've neglected my car and I'm going to change that because I need to make this car last as long as possible, as safely as possible. I feel extremely lucky to have had no problems at all with my Rogue (knock on wood)...had the same luck with my 99 Toyota truck that I drove for almost 10 years. I think that made me a bit complacent because my last two vehicles have been so hassle free.
Your videos are amazing Imstricken and I feel pretty confident I'll be able to replace at least the pads and rotors myself. The only thing I'm worried about are those dang bolts because we don't have an impact wrench, only a torque wrench, and those bolts haven't been touched since it was at the factory lol. Is it highly unlikely I'll get those bolts off without an impact wrench, even with my husband's help? I hate to buy a tool right now with the cost already what it is, especially if I find any bad calipers.

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

can you just use the "baster" system to remove brake fluid from just the reservoir every few weeks rather than bleed the brake system or no?

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Why would you need to remove brake fluid every few weeks? Keep the fluid level between the min and the max marks and you should be fine. Or am I missing something?

kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

engineer20 wrote:can you just use the "baster" system to remove brake fluid from just the reservoir every few weeks rather than bleed the brake system or no?
Rogue Jarhead wrote:Why would you need to remove brake fluid every few weeks? Keep the fluid level between the min and the max marks and you should be fine. Or am I missing something?
He's probably asking about sucking out the fluid from the reservoir and topping it off with new fluid then repeat over time. This is not going to work since the fluid do not cycle back to the master cylinder reservoir so all you will be replacing are just the new fluid you just topped off from last time and dirty fluid will remain downstream in your brake lines. You are probably thinking about how the power steering reservoir work. You can do that method with power steering reservoir since the fluid cycles back to the reservoir.

Rogue Jarhead

If he needs to change out his fluid a Motive power bleeder works very well. A turkey batter will take fluid out of the resivoir but that's only good if you overfill it, that wont work to change the fluid.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

bleeding the brakes is very simple. Just use the 2 man method, one pumps the brake peddle when another opens the bleeder. Youtube has thousands of videos on how to do this.
The only thing you need to be careful is the bleeder valves breaking if they are rusted.

clev
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Just replaced front and rear pads with ceramics; Act905 rear and Act1338 front. The brakes have been squeaking a little and I checked on here a couple of weeks ago. The few posts that I read stated that the brakes job should be performed at 60k, but I should have checked my maintenance guide. Even though the car has 69000, the fronts looked really good, not even close to half worn and the rears had a little more than half remaining. I had the pads and was already into it so I changed them all. The braking is definitely improved and there is no noise. The calipers and pistons were in good shape so I just cleaned and oiled the piston rubber. Rotors were in great shape but I still pulled them and used a vibrating sander to knock off the edge and remove any glaze caused by braking. All in all, everything went well, but I was REALLY surprised to see brake shoes and pads on the rear; my service manual did not mention brake shoes. I checked my maintenance guide and all I could find was to 'check' brakes, fluid, and hoses. Does anyone actually know the interval for a brake job? Also, I was looking for when to replace shocks and could find nothing. Anyone know?
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

philipa_240sx wrote:
lakota55 wrote:Was just wondering if anyone replaced the front and or back brake pads yet and at what odometer reading, also was the driving mostly city, highway or mix of both....
It will be very difficult to compare brake wear or 'estimate' how long your brakes would last by comparing to others. There is more to consider than just the type of driving (ie city or highway), it also depends on your driving habits. ie. Drivers who make abrupt stops or drive aggressively will wear out brakes faster.

Generally as a rule of thumb, brakes will last between 40,000-60,000mi. I average 50,000mi (80,000km). I have 18,000mi (30,000km) on the Rogue now and the brake wear has been very good.

A few suggestions:

1) Have the brakes dissassembled, cleaned and lubed at least once per year (twice is better, esp if you live in areas with snow). Rear disc brakes (and not just Nissan's) are prone to siezing up as they trap alot of the dirt, salt, etc thrown up by the front wheels. Once siezed, the brake pads will not move freely resulting in irregular wear.

2) Brake sooner and more gently. Leave more space in front of you in stop and go traffic and try to use the brakes less.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

[/quote]philipa_240sx: Was just wondering if anyone replaced the front and or back brake pads yet and at what odometer reading, also was the driving mostly city, highway or mix of both...It will be very difficult to compare brake wear or 'estimate' how long your brakes would last by comparing to others. There is more to consider than just the type of driving (ie city or highway), it also depends on your driving habits. ie. Drivers who make abrupt stops or drive aggressively will wear out brakes faster.

Generally as a rule of thumb, brakes will last between 40,000-60,000mi. I average 50,000mi (80,000km). I have 18,000mi (30,000km) on the Rogue now and the brake wear has been very good.

A few suggestions:

1) Have the brakes dissassembled, cleaned and lubed at least once per year (twice is better, esp if you live in areas with snow). Rear disc brakes (and not just Nissan's) are prone to siezing up as they trap alot of the dirt, salt, etc thrown up by the front wheels. Once siezed, the brake pads will not move freely resulting in irregular wear.

2) Brake sooner and more gently. Leave more space in front of you in stop and go traffic and try to use the brakes less.[/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would also suggest using Sport Mode when descending a hill (instead of riding or over-using the brakes). It raises the gear ratio about 25% and works pretty good for engine braking. I have 52k miles on my 2013 Rogue S and have about 40% pad material remaining on the original brakes.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Juicer
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I have owned my 2008 Rogue since new and once i had my first brake job Done by the dealership i have been replacing rotors and brakes every year.
I had read on this site that it is due to the oversize tires and undersized braking system I have 172000 km on the vehicle i replaced brakes and rotor last year the 3rd set in July and now it needs to be done again. Very frustrating today i am going to try turning the rotors and go from there its cheaper than buying new rotors again.On the bright side this is the only problem I've had so if the rotors have heat spots then onto the 4th set of rotors.yes i have tried ceramic brake pads with the same results (replacing rotors)

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I just serviced my brakes this past weekend. Good thing I did too, one of my rear caliper pins was stuck. There was an amazing amount of dirt and rust and crap all around the rear calipers. I wash my car a lot so I was surprised, in the winter I go to car washes.

Make sure you check your braking system or a mechanic does. And if you do it yourself get NEW HARDWARE for the brakes. It will make your life much easier and the brakes will work much better and be safer.

The other thing is to use the correct lube, you want to use siliconewith the Rogue's brakes because one of the caliper pins has a little rubber boot and anything other than silicone will make that rubber swell and the pin will not move.

After removing the rust buildup, installing new hardware and new silicone everything moves nicely!

Stay Safe

jokerstone
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

In the spirit of not creating a new thread...is there a thread on brakes for 2014+ rogues? Just wanted to know what you all think is the best brand / bang for buck rotor and pad for a 2015 ?
Thanks!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

When I did my brakes & rotors recently, I was not looking for best bang for the buck.

I wanted the best of the best, and supposedly the theory is oem was usually the best.

So I bought oem Nissan Advantage parts.

Only found complete sets for the front.

They work great and get the job done but the rotors look like s*** with rust covering the middle inner area and inside the plate area or whatever you call it. Thank god my new wheels on standby will cover them.

Fortunately, I could not find oem rear Nissan rotors on eBay or Amazon. So I paired oem rear brakes with EBC rotors which work great with no rust since the middle part is painted black.

Oem Nissan brakes last long, but don’t get Nissan front rotors online from the popular selling sites.

They will look horrible after the rust kicks in.

If your not into looks, ignore this post.

Also if you get oem rear brakes, make sure you get the backing plates or you have to use your old ones.

It’s no big deal, you will just have to clean them throughly before reusing them. :woot:

jokerstone

Akebono makes thr nissan oem brake pads right?

I have a 2015 rogue awd getting brakes done shortly, picked up some powerstop stuff from rockauto. I'm estimating they will last a year based on the price lol.

When these go I am looking for the closest to OEM's as possible. Rockauto sells akebono pads but they sell "nissan" rotors are these legit? Some say only for made in Korea rogues.....

Thoughts or recommend dations?

Rogue Jarhead

I’ve just installed my first sets of akebono pads over the course of the last few weeks and I must say I’m impressed. Besides being made in the USA I didn’t have to grind any metal off the sides or ears to make them fit indeed they fit perfectly and the hardware that came with them was excellent. So count me as an akebono customer from now on.

Bosch quietcast rotors seem to be a good bet also. I have yet to buy any that say made in China on the box.

jokerstone

How much clearance do you have between these aftermarket rotors and pads and steel wheels (winter rims) . After putting these aftermarket power stop rotors on today, there isnt much and I'm wondering whether it's a rim issue or rotor pad?

Return to “Rogue Forum”