General Brake Pads & Rotors Discussion

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Scooter71
Car: 09 Rogue SL AWD Fully Loaded

Sorry brother, I know this must be ruff for you and all. That would kill me for sure.

protomok
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 S FWD

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to change all of the brake pads and rotors on my 2009 Rogue S. First off thanks so much for all the info on this site! The videos, explanations, FAQs, etc. are super helpful, especially for noobs like me :)

Anyway I had a couple questions:

1) I was watching the "FRONT BRAKE PAD, ROTOR & CALIPER REPLACEMENT" video in the "CHATROOM: Brakes" page. In the video at 19:26 he says that as per the FSM that the Torque is 84 and a half pounds, but when I opened the FSM, on page BR-40 the torque specification is "84.4 (8.6, 62)". In another page of the FSM (GI-5) they describe that the torque units are "N m (kg m , ft lb)" meaning that I think the torque should be 62 feet pounds. Could anyone confirm if I'm understanding this OK?

2) I bought some "Kleen-flo EZE Slide Brake Lubricant" (http://www.kleenflo.com/products/331.html). It is a synthetic brake lube, which according to the label can be used for "sliding caliper pins, calipers, pad-caliper contact points, shoe contact points, anchor pins, self adjusters and metal slides of brake pads".

I was hoping I could use this lube for both the sliding pin bolts and the backs of the pads, but the FSM is saying I should use a "rubber grease" for the sliding pin bolts and a "copper based grease" for the pads. Can I just use synthetic lube for everything? Maybe I'm over analyzing this?

Thanks

lne937s
Car: 2012 Nissan Juke SL AWD

protomok wrote:Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to change all of the brake pads and rotors on my 2009 Rogue S. First off thanks so much for all the info on this site! The videos, explanations, FAQs, etc. are super helpful, especially for noobs like me :)

Anyway I had a couple questions:

1) I was watching the "FRONT BRAKE PAD, ROTOR & CALIPER REPLACEMENT" video in the "CHATROOM: Brakes" page. In the video at 19:26 he says that as per the FSM that the Torque is 84 and a half pounds, but when I opened the FSM, on page BR-40 the torque specification is "84.4 (8.6, 62)". In another page of the FSM (GI-5) they describe that the torque units are "N m (kg m , ft lb)" meaning that I think the torque should be 62 feet pounds. Could anyone confirm if I'm understanding this OK?

2) I bought some "Kleen-flo EZE Slide Brake Lubricant" (http://www.kleenflo.com/products/331.html). It is a synthetic brake lube, which according to the label can be used for "sliding caliper pins, calipers, pad-caliper contact points, shoe contact points, anchor pins, self adjusters and metal slides of brake pads".

I was hoping I could use this lube for both the sliding pin bolts and the backs of the pads, but the FSM is saying I should use a "rubber grease" for the sliding pin bolts and a "copper based grease" for the pads. Can I just use synthetic lube for everything? Maybe I'm over analyzing this?

Thanks
It looks like it should be 62 ft lb. After a search, this mentions up to 58 ft lb.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan ... rvice.html

However, I would not worry about a ft lb or two. I remember a torque wrench demo at the Tokyo show-- if you have a torque wrench that is accurate to the ft lb, then you are using some pretty high end tools. Accurate to a tenth of a ft lb isn't seen much outside of laboratories.

Regarding the grease, in the link it says "silicone-based" so it should be fine (rubber-safe). "Synthetic" is basically meaningless here (all silicone-based oils are synthetic), but it could have been an issue if it was carbon-based synthetic grease, as carbon-based oils are less thermally stable and can degrade rubber. Copper would be good for part of the back of the pads (you don't need more than a ketchup packet's worth) if you make sure it does not get near anything rubber (including where the piston in the caliper presses up against the pad), but it is not necessary IMHO.

protomok

Thanks lne937s, I ended up using 60 ft-lb.

Well, I finished installing the driver side and passenger side rear pads and rotors. Lol, one of my pads was worn down right to the metal! Now its time to find a nice country road to bed the brakes :)

A couple comments from the experience...

-> Getting the rotors off the hub was an absolute nightmare! Both of my rotors were seized to the hubs. So I picked up two 5/16" bolts along with a couple washers and nuts and slowly tightened each of the nuts to create pressure on the rotor. By really tightening those bolts combined with pretty much attacking the rotors with a hammer I was able to get the rotors off each of the hubs. Here's a youtube video with a good description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs.
-> On my Rogue the two nuts connected to the caliper bracket were actually 17mm...not 19mm as mentioned in one of the video...maybe front and rear nut sizes are different, I dunno.
-> For fellow Canadians - I got my parts locally here in Ontario from a place called Benson Auto but the exact parts are sooo much cheaper in USA! I think for future car parts I'll be buying from RockAuto.com, shipping to a border city like Ogdensburg and picking them up in USA...the price difference is unbelievable.

Also one last question. The rubber boot in the Calipers looked a little strange. I'm not sure if I have the same issue ImStricken had, I included a picture below, could anyone confirm if my exterior boot is OK or do I need to replace my calipers? The exterior boots in both calipers looks pretty much the same.

Thanks,
Mark

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

protomok wrote:Also one last question. The rubber boot in the Calipers looked a little strange. I'm not sure if I have the same issue ImStricken had, I included a picture below, could anyone confirm if my exterior boot is OK or do I need to replace my calipers? The exterior boots in both calipers looks pretty much the same.

thats exactly what i had. watch my video and you will see. that caliper needs to be replaced ASAP. if you pinched that boot between the pad & piston, it will tear and leak fluid. and it will ingest filth into the lines.

scroll too 7:50
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMMyS6igo1Y[/youtube]

Konstantin
Car: ROUGE

Hello,

Now the time to change brake pads . Which brake pads to Choose? Original one or some aftermarket ?

For example

Akebono ACT905 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C1LLNC/ref ... 9B2OCXQYFL

Genuine Nissan D4060-JA00J Disc Brake Pad Kit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFE ... T1Z4IZ7ZLP

Thanks for advice

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Konstantin wrote:Hello,

Now the time to change brake pads . Which brake pads to Choose? Original one or some aftermarket ?

For example

Akebono ACT905 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C1LLNC/ref ... 9B2OCXQYFL

Genuine Nissan D4060-JA00J Disc Brake Pad Kit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFE ... T1Z4IZ7ZLP

Thanks for advice
i merged your thread with an already open thread. please use the search function next time

i'd avoid OEM products when it comes to rogue brakes. go with akibono. akibono is nissan's upgraded equipment.

Konstantin
Car: ROUGE

Thank you. Sorry I miss this post :)

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

So at only 20k miles ny brakes are pulsating... The dealer says I need to replace all rotors and pads... At the dealer it will cost a whopping $1300!!!! I laughed when she told me that... I'm sure it came off rude but I couldn't control myself... anyway...

What are some good aftermarket rotors and pads that some of you have used on the rogue and how much? Thanks

Loungelurker
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

You are not the first Rogue owner to mention the brakes this early on. This seems pretty early to need to replace them. And let me guess.... natural wear and tear so it isn't covered under any warranty. grrr.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront wrote:So at only 20k miles ny brakes are pulsating... The dealer says I need to replace all rotors and pads... At the dealer it will cost a whopping $1300!!!! I laughed when she told me that... I'm sure it came off rude but I couldn't control myself... anyway...

What are some good aftermarket rotors and pads that some of you have used on the rogue and how much? Thanks
welcome to the club. and wait till you find your 2 front calipers f-ed up as well. i merged your thread with an already open one. read the prior few pages.

you can go to any auto zone or pepboys (etc) and get cheap parts that will last just as long. you dont need OEM stuff. frankly i'd avoid OEM brake parts for the rogue.

lgeetx1
Car: 2010 Nissan Rouge

Glad to hear it's not just my problem. I have a 2010 Nissan Rouge and I'm at 52K miles. I've had the dealer replace my rotors 3 times. Most recently, at around 47K, the dealer put on my third set of rotors (with NO NEW pads). The squeal has never stopped. The pulsating mellowed out, but was never elimated. Now it will be on on my dime for the replacements parts, or replace the Rouge. I couldn't keep fighting them the third time around. I ran out of umph since we had an ice storm in Dallas and I needed to get home w/foot surgery schedule the following week. So then foot surgery put me out a few months so I couldn't get back to the dealer in a timely manner to address this. They gave me a verbal that the third set of rotors would last me 5,000 miles. I'm about there.

So - with this said, can someone send me the make and model for the pads and rotors I should buy (or the link to the old post). I gather I should not buy Nissan parts; but Akebono. Is this correct???

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

lgeetx1 wrote:Glad to hear it's not just my problem. I have a 2010 Nissan Rouge and I'm at 52K miles. I've had the dealer replace my rotors 3 times. Most recently, at around 47K, the dealer put on my third set of rotors (with NO NEW pads). The squeal has never stopped. The pulsating mellowed out, but was never elimated. Now it will be on on my dime for the replacements parts, or replace the Rouge. I couldn't keep fighting them the third time around. I ran out of umph since we had an ice storm in Dallas and I needed to get home w/foot surgery schedule the following week. So then foot surgery put me out a few months so I couldn't get back to the dealer in a timely manner to address this. They gave me a verbal that the third set of rotors would last me 5,000 miles. I'm about there.

So - with this said, can someone send me the make and model for the pads and rotors I should buy (or the link to the old post). I gather I should not buy Nissan parts; but Akebono. Is this correct???
wait till you discover your calipers are F-ed up. thats about $120/each. there are 4 of them.

i'd just buy anything at your local store, thats cheap.

protomok

lgeetx1 wrote:Glad to hear it's not just my problem. I have a 2010 Nissan Rouge and I'm at 52K miles. I've had the dealer replace my rotors 3 times. Most recently, at around 47K, the dealer put on my third set of rotors (with NO NEW pads). The squeal has never stopped. The pulsating mellowed out, but was never elimated. Now it will be on on my dime for the replacements parts, or replace the Rouge. I couldn't keep fighting them the third time around. I ran out of umph since we had an ice storm in Dallas and I needed to get home w/foot surgery schedule the following week. So then foot surgery put me out a few months so I couldn't get back to the dealer in a timely manner to address this. They gave me a verbal that the third set of rotors would last me 5,000 miles. I'm about there.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend getting the OEM brake parts, it's a ripoff IMO. Nissan quoted me $800 for the parts and $1050 for parts plus installation so I just got aftermarket parts and did the install myself for less than half the price :)

I went with AC Delco pads and Raybestos rotors, pretty much just went with what the parts guy recommended. I've only installed the rear pads/rotors so far as the front brakes still have some life in them. So far so good, but it's only been a couple weeks so far so too early to tell! Here's some links to the parts on RockAuto:

ACDelco Front Pads: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1443164
ACDelco Rear Pads: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1443164
Raybestos Pads: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,1896 - I can't remember the exact part number.

I thought I had the same problem as ImStricken with the calipers but poking around with a screwdriver I found no fluid, so I just used the screwdriver to re adjust the rubber boots and didn't need to buy calipers :)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

protomok wrote:I thought I had the same problem as ImStricken with the calipers but poking around with a screwdriver I found no fluid, so I just used the screwdriver to re adjust the rubber boots and didn't need to buy calipers :)
as long as yours dont look like this:

denrama

Ok. I still have original brakes on my 2008 Rogue. They asked me to replace 4 months ago, but I have postponed it. Originally they quoted around 650$ and I got scared. What IS the correct price to replace? They told me that have to replace it entirely not some layer(I am not sure what that is...)

Help is appreciated.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

It's all about the details, without details we can't help you and we have no way of knowing what parts need to be replaced on your car.

Normally brake pads should be the only parts to replace, relatively cheap, but you may also need to replace your calipers and rotors - only your mechanic/service tech can tell you what needs replacing. Ignoring the problem is a very bad idea.

For $650 I recommend taking it for a second opinion, some of the shops that specialize in brakes will do a free ispection, then you'll know if you do in fact have to replace more than just the pads. $650 may be a great price, or it may not be, depends on what work they will be performing. How many miles on your Rogue?

denrama

I have around 75,000 on it. I guess he was referring to calipers and rotors as well. Sorry! can't provide much details so I don't know much.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

pads, rotors, calipers, fluid? everyone has a different definition of having their "brakes" changed.

for 650 at the dealer, i can pretty much tell you they are only doing all of your pads. (and maybe rotors).

denrama

They are doing pads and replacing rotors.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

denrama wrote:They are doing pads and replacing rotors.
i bet they will increase the price, when they start the job because OEM/stock calipers are known to fail. they will find one or two failed calipers and the price will increase exponentially. into the $1000+ category. just be forewarned.

i have replaced all 4 calipers on my 2008 rogue with roughly 70k. the front ones at 50k, and just did both rear last week.

denrama

This is exactly what they did

The rear brakes are almost worn to metal

Installed D3206 - 8H70JNW : brake brake rotors - [email protected] = 123.34
Installed DD06M - 8H38JNW : brake pad RR - VA - 1 @61.67

Front brakes

Front brakes are almost to metal

Installed DA06M - Je00JNW : brake pad FR - VA [email protected]
Installed DO206 - Jg00JNW : brake rotor - VAL [email protected] = 123.34

Total part - 350
Labor - 421.93

lulimet
Car: 2010 Rogue

$700 for pads and rotors for all 4 corners sounds about right.

ezb57e

The original rotors couldn't be resurfaced? They fact that they went so long tells me they were gently used.
Unless the pad went metal to metal, its unlikely the rotors weren't salvageable.
I'm out here in dry California, but I could count the number of calipers I've seen that needed replacing in the last ten years on one hand, and have a couple fingers left over.
YMMV

ithinksgreen

I had the rear brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced on my 2010 rogue which has 38K miles on it. the dealer told me if you dont do it soon will need to replace rotors. they charged me 229+tax

isn't it too early for brakes to wear out considering I handle my car gently?

P.S: they told me need to replace the front pads on next oil change that is in another 3000 miles

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

how's the transmission been on your rogue? I have heard bad things about them so I'd like to hear about it and whether or not it's reliable. Are you still on your original transmission? CVT?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

engineer20 wrote:how's the transmission been on your rogue? I have heard bad things about them so I'd like to hear about it and whether or not it's reliable. Are you still on your original transmission? CVT?
this is NOT the place to ask about the transmission. i thought i explained to you how forums work, on the thread you created.
what you just did is the equivalence of walking in on a conversation about baking apple pies, and asking does anyone know how to unclog a toilet.

i will say it again: USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, FIND THREADS RELATED TO TRANSMISSIONS, REFINE IT EVEN FURTHER BY SCANNING TO SEE A THREAD TITLED APPROPRIATELY REGARDING YOUR SPECIFIC CONCERN, AND GO POST IN THERE.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

Loungelurker wrote:You are not the first Rogue owner to mention the brakes this early on. This seems pretty early to need to replace them. And let me guess.... natural wear and tear so it isn't covered under any warranty. grrr.
For what it's worth (and I think I've mentioned this in another thread), the first generation Nissan Rogue used the same brake system as the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V sedan, which has a lower curb weight, a much lower gross weight, a lower center of gravity and is only available in FWD. All of these play into a brake system that was perfectly fine for the Sentra, but is completely inadequate for the Rogue. I suggest you get cryo-treated Centric rotors and the matching ceramic Centric pads. They bed in by themselves, and will give you a better lifespan over the factory parts.

You should also consider bleeding your brake system with Valvoline Synthetic 3 and 4, which after a lot of experimentation, has shown the best performance vs. life that I've come across. Avoid Prestone Synthetic 3 brake fluid like the plague; that garbage will eat your hoses and will need to be changed within 6 months. When/if you bleed your brakes, you ABSOLUTELY MUST disconnect the negative battery cable first or your ABS system will interfere with the bleeding process and you'll have spongy brakes. Religiously follow the bleeding procedure in the FSM and don't take any shortcuts.

ezb57e

Every month I work on dozens of Rogues, of all years, and I don't see any unusual wear or lifespan issues.
Brakes are like a bar of soap, if you use them they'll wear.

Mysticrhythm
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Quick question guys...I have a 2008 Rogue that I've never had to replace the brake pads on. Sitting right over 124k now and in the last couple months my brakes have started to squeak when I come to a stop...nothing grinding or earsplitting, just a definite high pitched squeak. I'm a total car noob so in doing some brief research I'm shocked to see that it looks like I should have had to replace the pads long before now. My question is this...since the mileage is as high as it is are my rotors likely going to need replacing too? What about calipers? There is no shuddering at all when I brake.

My husband is probably going to insist he do the work himself, he's by no means an expert but he's good at researching and figuring stuff out (hell I'm sure I could do it with the right tools, vids make it look pretty simple and frankly I'd love to have a go at them myself but I know he'll insist he do them lol) but I'm afraid he'll try to do the least possible to save money and just replace the pads only when much more might need to be done. Any advice appreciated :)

Return to “Rogue Forum”