Nissan response to wind noise problem

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

I have roof rails and wind noise is minimal at high speeds. The only real road noise problem is when rain, slush or gravel is being flung into the rear wheel wells.

I have a sun roof, and occasionally have it craked open in the rear on the highway, and still have not had excess noise created by the rails,

janemackey
Car: infiniti ex

Hi, OK, my daughter's car has roof rails but not the cross rails that has been discussed as a potential problem for the noise. Her tires are 17 inch and say "Continental 4X4 contact" so that doesn't sound like the same Dunlop tires referred to earlier. We still will try to rotate them to see if that works. She is getting a recorder so she can use it to record the noise for future reference. We'll keep working on it! Thanks again, Jane

mcci
Car: Rogue

I hope you keep bringing up this problem and maybe Nissan will get their head out of the sand. We bought our Rogue in March 2008 and the first time we were on the highway going over 75 mph we heard the howling noise. We took it into the dealership. They were not responsive and claimed they had never heard of this problem. I spoke with someone from Nissan who said the same thing. When I pointed out the posts I was finding about the problem, they stated they were not officical Nissan information and would not be considered. I asked for a person higher up and the only response I got was that I should deal with the dealership. To say I am frustrated is an understatement! I have taken the roof racks off as suggested and the sound slightly improved but when it is windy it is horrible. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER NISSAN! I thought they would stand behind their product but apparently, I was wrong!

philipa_240sx

janemackey wrote:"Continental 4X4 contact"
I am not impressed with the Continentals. Since road noise (esp at the rear) is easily transmitted into the cabin, the tires could be a culprit.

Noise is a difficult thing to quantify. I do get some wind noise in my Rogue, and crosswinds are noticeable as a slight howl from the door area. As for sound level, it's equivalent to the radio played at a low volume level (Volume level 3-5 as indicated on the radio display). I never find the noise intrusive as it does not occur constantly.

us66rogue
Car: 2009 Rogue

I had the same wind noise but not as loud. I assumed it was wind whistling through the drain tube for the sunroof. I do not have the cross bars on the roof rails.

janemackey

Don't think it is the drain tube as we don't have a sunroof. Still waiting on the Nissan person to contact us again...........Jane

anchises868
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

us66rogue wrote:I had the same wind noise but not as loud. I assumed it was wind whistling through the drain tube for the sunroof. I do not have the cross bars on the roof rails.
That's okay, I don't have roof rails, cross rails, or a sunroof. I have a plain old base model Rogue S. But I still have the howling wind noise. I've just gotten used to it, I guess.

mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

I drove my Rogue today and didn't notice any extra wind noise.

I have an SL with a moonroof deflector.

rogueboy

Its only rarely that it happens (at least here in Texas).

It must be windy or gusty, and the wind must be coming in at an angle, more of a cross wind.

I heard it a little this morning, its pretty windy here. Its a howl, sounds like a ghost!

I am convinced its the crossbars, which is why a lot of owners don't here it. Its rare enough that it doesn't bother me at all.

janemackey

Can't be crossbars on our car as we don't have them. I do agree it has to be gusty wind, but where we live - that is every day!......still no news.....jane

rogueboy

Hmm you hear it with no crossbars? Interesting. If it really bothered me I would be tempted to take the cross bars off and see if it changes. I have no sunroof.

Anyhow, I was hearing it yesterday, but it was not bad. I captured it on my BlackBerry, and like the nerd I am put it on YouTube for all to see/hear.

It's most audible at around 40 seconds. And again, this was mild, sometimes it really howls.

It really sounds like its coming from the upper left (roof area) of the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcEmcvquXm0

philipa_240sx

Perhaps those that live in the midwest/plains states get this more then I do. I only hear a bit of howling on heavy crosswinds (>40mph) and those kinds of winds are not frequent where I live. During normal driving on calmer days, it's just a rushing wind noise that's barely inaudible.

dankaiser
Car: 2008 Rogue S

I have a standard 2008 Rogue S with no roof rails and no sunroof and I get the howling wind noise when my speed is about 80 or when my speed is less and there is a headwind. Sounds like it's coming from the area near the driver's sideview mirror. Quite annoying.

D a n

JacintoRogue

I, too, have experienced the howling wind noise on my '08 Rogue S. It is most definitely not a tire hum, and it is not coming from the windshield. It is coming from the passenger-side front door (all around the door seal). The noise only happens when the car is traveling at 70 mph or more AND if there is a strong cross wind. The sound is not typical and does not happen with our other vehicles. Under normal traveling speeds and on other roads the car has no remarkable wind noise. I'll be taking it in for this issue, the rattling seat-back latch on the right-side rear seat back, and the defective fuel gauge that no longer indicates a full tank (one bar short of full all the time after a fill up).

janemackey

Hi.....I still have no news to report, as the Nissan technician from Dallas who was supposed to visit us and drive the car to experience the noise hasn't done that yet. We do have his contact number and plan to set that appointment up, but now I am waiting until Spring and the heavy winds hit to make sure there is something to hear.

On a windless day (which we get very few) there is no noise. But somehow with the proper cross current and going over 75 the screech is unbearable. With so many having the same problem, I can't help but think it is a design problem somehow.

Everyone needs to call the Nissan Company and complain and be sure and get a case number so when you go to the dealer, you can supply them with that......just further documentation. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with something new for the door seals or side mirrors.

Jane Mackey

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

dankaiser wrote:I have a standard 2008 Rogue S with no roof rails and no sunroof and I get the howling wind noise when my speed is about 80 or when my speed is less and there is a headwind. Sounds like it's coming from the area near the driver's sideview mirror. Quite annoying.
This is exactly what we experience with our 2008 SL AWD (with roof rails, cross bars and sunroof). I think we can rule out the roof rails/cross bars based on this thread and the fact that the howling isn't consistently there to begin with. It's definitely there with the right cross/head wind.

mattymac1
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

My wife noticed this wind issue when driving over 65 MPH. Of course it wouldn't make the noise when I was in the car. Finally when I was driving it I heard it myself. It sounded like it was coming from the lower passenger side corner of the windshield. When I inspected that area, I noticed that some of the plastic faring that is surrounding the lower corner of the windshield was not fastened completely tight. I fiddled with it until I was satisfied that it would not come loose, and I haven't heard the noise since. This was about 2 or 3 months ago. Check out your plastic "faring" for yourself and maybe it will solve your issues. Hope this helps anybody out there.

ClauBerg
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009

I have the same problem with my brand new Nissan Rogue 2009

Check my video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRqz2QOF1n8

mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

ClauBerg wrote:I have the same problem with my brand new Nissan Rogue 2009

Wow that's bad. I don't have that with mine.

takeshi

That's exactly it. Doesn't always show up at the same speed. Seems to depend on the cross wind.

RO-G
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

i have wind noise problem on my 09 Rogue but only when i hit speeds of 115km/hr and there is a crosswind. i dont' have that severe wind noise problem you're experiencing. have it checked at your dealership.

janemackey

Hi all,

I haven't posted in awhile....here is the latest on our dealings with Nissan corp.

After having the car in 6 times to figure out the SEVERE wind noise, which makes it unbearable to drive, we requested Nissan to buy our car back under the lemon law.

They did not, we think because one of the dealers (the one we purchased from) and took the car to the very day we bought it (as we discovered the noise driving home!) is losing its dealership, is in a transition stage and didn't properly record the first 3 times we took the car in.

Our lemon law doesn't kick in until we can document 4 times. We have now done our third at a different dealer, one recommended to us by Nissan. Also, a Nissan engineer drove the car, listened to the noise, discussed with the service dept what was to be done, then drove with my daughter to show her it was fixed. The minute they got out on the interstate, the noise kicked in and he heard for himself the HORRIBLE noise.

He knew we would be returning it immediately. We also requested our file from Nissan after they rejected the first lemon law claim, and they said they would definitely send it right to us but it has been over a month and we haven't received anything. I do have my own documentation. We will soon be taking it in again as the noise is STILL unbearable. The car is not fit to drive with our continual wind.

I hope everyone who has a problem will follow through with the Nissan Corp. You need to get a file number and just start in. This problem will not go away until enough people decide they won't accept such a major flaw.

Jane Mackey

It is definitely a flaw in the car, and I'm distressed to hear it is also a problem with the 2009 cars as well. Mine is 2008. Perhaps living in the mid-west states that experience almost continual wind is causing the majority of the headache, but nevertheless, it is a problem that needs to be corrected somehow.

We will try to return the car and I will let you know what happens.

J Mackey

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

Yep. Exactly what mine used to do.

Still does every once in awhile, but it's increasingly rare and not nearly as obnoxious anymore. It's reduced significantly since I replaced the Dunlops with Bridgestone Turanzas. (Actually, the whole ride is quieter now.)

Still, it's ridiculous that a car company would just blow this off. Their attitude will certainly play into my decision on what kind of car I buy after this one.

Mainiac
Car: - '08 Rogue SL AWD
+ '11 Rogue SL awd

After listening to that video, it sounds to me like the noise you get when you blow across a soda bottle, just a different pitch.

I think I followed that the people with the noise do NOT have the crossbars on the roof, maybe the screw holes where the crossbars mount are open, i.e. they do NOT have the plastic plugs in them?

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

It's strange that there is such varying degrees of the problem, so I suspect it's an install problem with the rails or perhaps a defect in manufacturing. I say this because most Rogue owners don't have this problem, some have a mild or occaisonal problem, and some have it very extreme like the example on the Youtube video, that was crazy. Me, I have heard the noise a few times under a strong cross wind, but it wasn't sustained and nothing that got me excited because this was an EXTREME cross wind that I wouldn't say is normal. If the car made this sound under normal conditions then I'd be angry.

janemackey

Unfortunately, in our part of the midwest the extreme crosswinds are pretty much normal, each and every day. I can count on one hand the days we have each year with no wind.

We own an Infiniti, a Jeep, a Ford Mustang, a Nissan Truck, and have owned a Cadillac CTS, Suburbans etc and NO car has ever had wind noise at all, much less the "screaming" howl experienced with this Rogue.

I do not believe this noise is acceptable under any circumstances and I will keep on until we get this resolved.

Oh, and i checked. It isn't a problem with the holes in the rails, but thanks for the suggestion. I am certainly open to anything.

Jane Mackey

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

can you ask them to take the rails off and see what happens?

takeshi

The noise in the clip is definitely NOT from the cross bars (nor the vicinity of the roof at all).

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

I couldn't decipher any directionality from the video clip. I've had the noise 2-3 times and I have rails (not cross bars). My impression was all Rogues had at minimum the lengthwise rails, but I guess Dan Kaiser's comment suggests otherwise?

The noise I've heard in my car is exactly the same and it certainly sounds like its in the roof area.

RiverRogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I have no crossbars, but do have the lugage racks. No wind noise at all.

But when I add the yakima racks, at 45-50mph, the thing howls like a cat in heat.

Add a kayak to the racks and the howling is minimal.

Remove the yak and yakima rack and its back to being quite.

Return to “Rogue Forum”