Pathfinder / QX4 Reliability (Post your mileage)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
fastpathy35
Car: 2003 pathfinder se k&n intake, ram air set up, electric fan conversion, flowmaster super 40 dual exh

i have a 2003 nissan pathfinder. only oil changes. bought it with 34k miles and it now has 120k miles. the only problem i had was the valve covers have that problem and it causes more oil to go through the pcv line, well my idle was too low and no one could figure it out. nissan claimed my ecu and throttle body was bad and they were going to charge me 1600 to fix it. i took it home and saw that they left my intake loose so i took it off and when i did i saw carbon build up in the throttle body keeping air from getting in at idle. i paid $15 for an allen pack and used a brillo pad...i will never take anything to a dealer again. but other than that, no problems what so ever. other than my passenger side headlight burns out often.

steadylight
Car: 2001 Infinity QX4

I have a similar problem with what seems to be a noisy transfer case. It makes a rattling noise that sounds like it could be a chain. The noise lessens when the vehicle is warmed up. It is loudest when accelerating, and reduces to practically no noise while coasting while slowing down. This only started about a month ago and it seems to be getting worse. My wife is noticing it and asking me about getting it repaired. I will let you know what I find out as I check into it.

Natedogg1701
Car: 2003 Pathfinder SE

I have an 03 pathfinder, bought it 14 months ago with 53500 on it, now it just turned 70000. this truk runs amazing, its balzy, and very torquey. only issue with the vehicle isnt a problem, its actually a design flaw ide consider it. A 3 spd w/overdrive tranny coupled with a rear end that has 4.36 gears! this completely explain the less than desiablr gas milleage. however other than that i love this truk, only major repair...well choice repair, was my valve cover gaskets, at which time i replaced the spark plugs with NGK's and the pcv valve. when i said choice repair i meant kuz i hit a telephone pole with it after 3 months and did 8000$ in damage to it, lucky me it wasnt totaled. check out the before and after pics of the accident. cost of repair was so high because the shop had to go to nissan for EVERYTHING, cudnt find anything used, yah for me. both fenders, the hood, bumper, grill, driver side headlight, rear rim and tire(bkuz it hopped a curb) passenger side running board, and driverside tie rod and control arm.so besides tires and a rear window...which the sound system blew out lol....ive done nothing major to the truk. i plan on lifting it and doing a few more lil modds to it, the truk is deff worth it, the VG35DE motors are good for 500,000 miles if u ntake care of them, ive seen em.

before

after

guttz03
Car: 1997 Pathfinder

Hey,

I have a 1997 Pathfinder, with 142k miles on it. I got it a month ago and I am amazed how well it drives. I used to have the same year Grand Cherokee with ~90k miles and it's not even close in terms of quality and mechanical condition.

EmpressChe
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder

I have a 1999 Pathfinder. I bought it in 2005 at 120,000 kms on it. I'm at 194,000 now with no major problems.I have replaced the struts, and the muffler flange rusted out, so I had a pipe put in and welded. Works great now.Just basic maintenance, oil, plugs, wires.I had the brakes redone because of warping.That's it to date.Love my pathy!

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Two years later...

Finally did the first actual "repair" on my '03 Pathy. Had to swap out the DTRL control assembly when my driver-side low beam stopped working and I eliminated every other possible cause. Lights worked fine after this was replaced. The part was $200 from courtesyparts.com (including UPS brokerage fees), compared to $300+ from local dealerships.

Other than that, it's been routine maintenance and touch-up paint jobs. Pretty happy with the purchase so far. Bought it in Nov '07 with 112,000 km, now it has 163,000km.

SpartanAir
Car: 1992 Nissan President Sovereign, 1990 Nissan Pathfinder XE

Just bought myself a 1990 Pathfinder for the winter. Bought it for a song, very well maintained, very clean, babied, always synthetic oil changes.

Get this:

510,000 km, or 317,000 miles ON THE ORIGINAL ENGINE.

Still running strong, and purrs like a kitten. I love my new pathfinder!!!

t_b0ne3
Car: 2002 Infinti QX4 4wd My first Nissan was a 1985 720 4wd P/U. My other ride is a 2005 FXDWGI

I have a 2001 QX4 I had to replace the sway arm links this month but other than that no issues for the past 45K miles currently approaching 91K miles I got it with just under 46K.

natlyn
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

I've got a 2002 Infiniti QX4 with about 98K on it. Silver/tan interior. I've had it for almost 3 years. Only regular maintenance done so far. I love the car. I hope to keep it for a very long time. I do need to replace a shock though. I would buy another Infiniti vehicle again (used- let someone else take the hit on depreciation).

Slaxl
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD

Don't know if you guys are still using this thread but anyhoot

2001 Pathfinder SE 3.5 - 164,000+ miles - only thing i have changed has been an engine mount and the O2 sensor.

Aside from that - no problems - regular maintenance, oils, fluids, brakes, tires, bulbs.

Love it - would recommend a Pathfinder to anyone looking for a wonderful SUV.

Hopefully i can buy a newer maybe '04 LE.

Pat Connelly

Jujst signed up after googling for some info on my Infiniti. My story:2nd owner of 1997 QX4. Purchased at 50K miles. Now have 216,012 (but who's counting?) and it's still hanging in there. I do all the work on it myself. Most recently: replaced ball joints after noticing a shudder in turns on the highway at speeds over 45 MPH. Replaced U-joints on both driveshafts after hearing knocking at slow speeds and inspecting drivetrain to discover both rear U-joints completely SHOT. Replaced front joints while I had the driveshafts off. If you do this yourself, be SURE to mark the U-joints with paint! (Or your wife's nail polish; just don't tell her...) I put one of the U-joints on 180 degrees out and had to troubleshoot for 2 days before getting THAT vibration squared away!Biggest job: leaky water pump @200,000 miles. While I was in there I decided to replace timing belt, thermostat, and camshaft seal, since I had to dig that deep to fix the water pump. The old timing belt was in incredible shape. I could barely tell the new one from the one I replaced! Same with the camshaft seal. When installing camshaft seal, I got the soft rubber lip of the seal over the steel housing and did not know it until the engine was put back together and it started leaking oil. So I had to go back, take everthying apart again, and put a new seal in. Not fun.

nich4807
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Le

2001 pathfinder le 94000 miles 2nd owner. 1. replaced rear seatbelt 2. replaced valve timing sensor 3. currently working on codes p0160 and p0420 4. Bose cd changer failed

islandbud
Car: 3 Pathfinder's and 2 Hardbody's

I have a 92 and 95 Pathfinder's both SE automatic 4x4.

The 92 i bought 2yrs ago had 158,xxx miles, fixxer upperI changed the brake master cylI changed the trannyand changed the rear rotor and calipers. A/C still cold. power win,doors etc still work. Motor runs strong!

The 95 had 155,xxx miles on it and was given to me by my brother as my wedding present 4 yrs ago. it sat for about 3yrs when he found it . bad trannyMy brother changed the tranny.we changed the timing belt.did all the necc fluid changes( actually he couldnt wait to try and start it, damn thing started right up after adding some fuel)

the 92 now has 167,xxx miles and the 95 has about 215,xxx miles. These things run so good. i just bought my wife a 08 path LE V-8( cannot wait till this 1 mine) she drove the 95 for three yrs , then i bought the 92 she drove a little over a year and now she has the 08 pathfinder. all the nissans i own, were bought second hand. I was going to buy a brand new pathfinder for the wife, but THAT '08 LE V-8 was screaming PICK ME PICK ME. it was less than a yr old and its loaded for under 27k secondhand from the dealer. had about 30kmiles . these LE pathy's run upwards of 40k. The history i have with nissan trucks spoke for 08 too. I love my nissan's

parislynn1122
Car: 1997 Infiniti Qx4

Any probs ever with it shutting off when stopped? I have a 97 Qx4 and the last few months it has been shutting off randomly when stopped at light or idle in driveway. My mechanic was stumped for a while because it didn't throw any codes for forever! However not after not passing smog for the first time they're thinkin my cat.conv. or O2 sensor... I am a girl and at a loss of which way to go... seeking help and answers!

Pianodemon
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I bought my 1998 Pathfinder LE 4x4 used in 2002 with 25K miles on on her. Here I am 8 years later and she's approaching 195K miles.

Never had any engine issues, but a fair amount of other things.

I've had to have the exhaust system done twice (about 5 years in between the two time - I'm blaming the lousy winter weather here in Northern NJ for that), had to have the front tie rods replaced, shocks/struts, steering issue corrected, and the catalytic converters done. The sunroof crapped out and I had that replaced over the summer, along with custom step bars, as the running boards were shot.

Other than that, it's just beenthe usual stuff. Oil changes, brake jobs, new tires, etc.

Unfortunately, with twins arriving in July, it's going to be time to trade her in or sell her in order to get something a little more family safe, though it's going to break my heart to see her go. She's taken me to Canada a couple of times, countless trips to Vermont, down to the Florida Keys, and North Carolina several times with nary a hiccup.

If I wasn't married and expecting kids, I'd buy another Pathfinder in a heartbeat.

03 pathy
Car: 03 pathfinder/02 altima

what about the ones with burning oil. i have to add about 2 qt between oil changes

jjp53
Car: 2008 Frontier... HATE IT

Hi all. My experience with the Nissan 4.0 liter has not been favorable. I bought a 2008 Frontier crew cab SE 4X4. It had 50000 miles at the time of purchase. I have owned it 6 weeks its been in the shop for 12 days and counting. It went in for a loss of power. The dealer replaced the cats and O2 sensors on the right hand side. I picked it up and didnt make it home before the service engine light was on again. Replaced the other 2 O2 sensors. Picked it up on friday evening, drove it over the weekend. I used it for some light towing and hauling (under 1000 pounds) used 10 quarts of oil on around 700 miles of driving. took it back to the shop this morning (Monday) Getting an Engine now. This truck has 53000 miles on it has had the clutch replaced, 2 of 4 catalytic converters, all four oxygen sensors, and soon the engine replaced. And I'm not sure what other repairs before I bought it. Selling my Chevy and buying this thing is the BIGGEST misake i have ever made. My 2001 silverado had 214000 miles, ran perfect; no oil use. I abused that truck and it kept comming back for more. The only complaint I had about my Silverado is the 14 mpg fuel mileage. By the way I have a Nice looking black 08 Frontier SE 4X4 crew cab for sale. It will soon have a new engine. for $18000 you could be the proud owner of this 6 speed truck

ro_linder916
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

I just bought a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder and im in luv wit it. This by far is the most smoove ride I have rode in for a SUV of this size.

I will soon be adding upgrades and some wheels to it.

grewal
Car: 2001 INFINITI QX4

Hey guys i'm newly registered to the site although i've sourced the forums for lots of information with simple mods installs and repairs on my QX4.

I've got a 2001 QX4 with a Clarion VX409 Head unit. Had to modify the wiring harness i purchased from future shop as it was made to take the speaker outs directly instead of allowing me to use the rca outs so that i can use the stock Bose speakers and amps. In the rear i'm running two JL 10w0v2 in a JL audio box driven by an Infinity 1600a mono amp. I also had to modify a single din dash kit to fit my Double Din DVD deck. Mods in the near future include the tweeter mod, interior LED mods, and maybe the HID fog light mod.

The truck has 360K kilometers on it but still runs great although i'm starting to notice that it sometime stalls when its cold out and i put it into gear without allowing it to warm for a few minutes.

Common problems that are unresolved with my QX4 are the driver seat only moving back and forth when the motor is tapped on with a hammer. Service engine light is constantly on due to O2 sensor which i refuse to replace again. Rattling noise from under the body has been corrected by removing the remaining heat shield that was just bouncing around.

If any one has answers to my remaining issues and help would be much appreciated.

Amrit

ekurtz
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I have a 2001 QX4 with +275,000 miles on it. I bought it in February 01 with 16 miles on it. Still has every original part in the engine, except two O2 sensors. At 265,000 miles I had to replace the universal joints for $675.00, including labor. I think that it's just getting broken in good...

D13_R50
Car: 2006 Nissan Xterra OR
2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Bought my '04 Pathfinder in the summer of '08. About 90000 km, now about 107000 km.
in the time period ive owned it, i've already replaced a fan clutch, muffler, evap control vent, and evap canister.

lets just say im not all that impressed.

Daemeon2
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4

I got a 1997 QX4. I bought it in late Aug-2000. It has been the toughest and best vehicle I have ever owned. When I bought it, I had everything fixed and all preventive maintainence done then. ($2900.00 worth.) It only had 86,000 miles on it. I was the 3/rd owner. I am beyond paranoid insanely curious over this truck. Dang, it costs me tons to keep this thing a-going.

In may of 2003-4.., I re-did everything on it again and rebuilt/replaced 90% of all suspension components/parts. I didnt care if it needed it or not.., I wanted it done.
New tires and alignment. Had everything re-gold plated. All blacked out parts re-blacked.
Costs for all = $4000.00-$5000.00 over a one year period.

2010 - vibration and shaking issues..., I'm still working on that....I'm planning on replacing every bushing and every joint I can find in it.

Current Mileage = 193,764. Still runs like new and everything still works like new. (Minus the factory radio and factory power antennae..., they ticked me off and had to go...)
It drives a round trip Mon thru Sun 50 miles a day.

Would I own another one ? Wait a minute.., don't ask that...lol
When this one dies..., It definetly will be my last one (foreign made vehicle) ever.

l8taz,
Daemeon2

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Densetsu wrote:Two years later...

Finally did the first actual "repair" on my '03 Pathy. Had to swap out the DTRL control assembly when my driver-side low beam stopped working and I eliminated every other possible cause. Lights worked fine after this was replaced. The part was $200 from courtesyparts.com (including UPS brokerage fees), compared to $300+ from local dealerships.

Other than that, it's been routine maintenance and touch-up paint jobs. Pretty happy with the purchase so far. Bought it in Nov '07 with 112,000 km, now it has 163,000km.
I guess this is the final entry for this Pathy...

Totalled her last month with about 176,000km. A few weeks before that, a section of the exhaust pipe rusted completely through, making for some fun noises. Chopped it out, put in a new short section, clamped it on. Fix cost $15 and an hour with jacks an an angle grinder.

Combined with the light module listed above, that makes it two repair jobs over 2.5 years, from 112,000km to 176,000km. One cost $200, the other $15. One of the cheapest vehicles I've driven. Might be why I'm in the market for another R50.

infiniti97qx4
Car: qx4

I had i lot of troubles at beginining with my upgraded version qx4 from 1992 pathfinder.etting on my nervs

first thing s first my 1992 path was very reliable truck made 360 000 km with original engine and transsmission.
secret was mobile one syntetic engine oil and ATF mobile one in transsmission.problem why i had to sell it was rust.

now with this state of art qx4 it much better.common problem rust on the rear door even after two years repair was done.
code p 0443 code p1447 was getting on my nervs.E-test pass every time ,performance same but engin light on all time.
after replacing evap sensor on charcoal canister code p443 was gone for good butr other one still was there.
Truck was taking almost 20lit. on 100 km.I was so close to sell it .Changed spark plugs,all belts ,distrib.,rotor,new brakes,rotors,shoes,fluids and still no improvement.20 lit/per 100 km.
until i have found over net to find location of my charcoal canister and replace it due to falling a part charccoal inside the box.best $160 ever spent.Lines were pluged got to blow them off and clean pressure valve and regulator valve as vel as evap valve.
Also cleaned MAP sensor (those 2 platinum wires using alcohol and cotton sticks not brake cleaner or similar solution due to advise from other ppl) and put everything together as well chand ge position of the distributor to 8 deg before top dead center,.

AND VOILA NOW LAST TEST WAS SHOWING 9.5 L PER 100 KM ON EXPRESSWAY UNDER NORMAL DRIVING CONDITION TEM OUTSIDE 23 DEG c
AND NOT RUNNING A/C IN TOWN USING A/C 13.8

IDLE SPEED WAS GREAT STEADY TRANSSMISSION QUITE AND FUEL ECONOMY BETTER THAN HYBRID,i WILL NEVER NEVER EVER SELL THIS TRUCK.
uSE THIS SECRET AND MAKE YOURS GOOD TOO.

BY THE WAY I MADE TAIL PIPE STRAIGHT NOT BENDED USING STAINLESS STEEL TIP.ALSO CHANGE TIRE SIZE TO MATCH BETTER SPEDO
NOW IS DIFERENCE +- 4 KM AT AVARAGE SPEED OG 110 KM PER HOUR.

QX4 FOREVER,SAME ENGINE AS PATHFINDER LE 1998 3.3 L ABOUT 190 HORSES WITH THIS STTINGS.

CHEERS :woot: :wavey: :dblthumb: :dblthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

rick14h
Car: 2001 QX4

I have (had) a 2001 QX4. Sadly, I hit a deer and totaled it 2 days ago. I had 247,700 miles on it and loved every minute. I bought it with 79000 on it in '05. Would love to have another. BTW, they hold their value quite well- insurance paid $9600.

ReKleiner88
Car: 2000 Pathfinder SE

2000 Pathfinder SE bought it with 57,000 in March of 07 now has 95,000

Since I bought it I had the A/C compressor go
The Main pulley for the belts replaced
Lower ball joints just got fixed along with new rotors and pads

Next week I'm taking it in for the gas neck recall.

But other than that, it's been running like a champ.

iPath
Car: 04 SE

bought my 04 pathfinder in april with 47xxx miles on it, since then put 1500 on. So far no problems! Let's hope it stays that way

Binkley
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4

My 2003 QX4 currently has just over 114,000 miles on it. It drives great, and I just went on a long trip and got an impressive 23 mpg (highway driving, 93 octane gas, speed ~67mph with cruise on, temperature control on "auto", tires inflated with about 40 psi, K&N air filter)

Meaks

My 2002 pathfinder LE had a birthday on this past weekend's road trip!

Apart from regular wear & tear on a 8 yr old vehicle, it's really been a good investment. So much so that I'm thinking of picking up a 2002 chilkoot as a 4x4 fixer-upper side project.

Viking97Q
Car: 1997 Infinity QX4

I bought this 97 QX4 a year ago (2009) with 152,000 and went through all of the fluids. It had a rusted out rear muffler, so $200 for that. Thankfully the previous owner had put in a new starter and front drive shafts, perhaps more. 2 Oil changes so far and no issues other than a cracked windshield one morning while defrosting in the winter. Found a small impact below the viewable area later...wish I had seen that and had it filled!

I love this truck, and at 6'7" I am still amazed that the Germans and Japanese make vehicles I fit in, but the Americans refuse to cater to my demographic. Oh well! :wtf2:

Time to lift it a little...anyone want to trade rims/tires? I have stock 16" machined 3-spokes w/Hankook 245/70R16.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”