Pathfinder / QX4 Reliability (Post your mileage)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Steelersfan745
Car: 1997 QX4
2001 QX4
2013 Leaf SL

Just picked up a 2nd QX4. 2001 with 228K in great shape mechanically with no major issues to report.

Wrierblock20
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder 2WD

1998 Nissan Pathfinder V6 210,000 Miles
Bought it at 190,000 few years ago

Replaced - Fuel Injector #2 / Dizzy / Plug Wires / Spark Plugs / Fuel Filter / AC Compressor / Condenser / Dryer
Things that were replaced before me - Radiator / Waterpump

It has never left me stranded so thats a +

NycQX4
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

2002 QX4 - officially 130k, hoping to get 150k. My speedometer didn’t work for a year and half due strut housing rusting. Runs strong but have couple of CLE (high idle [507], knock sensor [328], intake valve [022]). Spend about 500 a year in repairs the last 4 years, otherwise no major issues expect for 2 self inflicted issues:
1) Not doing the strut housing recall. My passenger side housing was completely rusted. I was surprised that the wheels didn’t come off. This caused the speedometer to not work and cause my brakes to fail, which required an complete brake overhaul. The mechanic somehow never noticed the big hole when he’s servicing the brakes. After I went to a second mechanic because the first one couldn’t fix the brake leak. He pointed me to the big gap. Had Infiniti do the recall along with the airbag recall and brake and speedometer is working fine now.

2) Had check engine on the EVAP canister for like 5 years. Finally changed the EVAP canister and that fixed the EVAP CLE.

Slice of Life
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 - Silver

Picked up my second QX4 back in June. It’s an 02 with 123k miles; it’s been a California car it’s entire life and the previous owner had the good sense to get the entire under carriage treated to prevent any rust/corrosion. The engine runs like a top, haven’t had to do a thing to it except change the oil. I just bought 2 new resonators as mine are currently leaking along with all new filters (cabin, intake, fuel, and transmission). Excited to see how far I can push this bad boy! Shooting for at least 300k.

So far so good!

brightstar
Car: 2001 QX4
338,000 miles and counting !!

Hi Guys, I just saw this when I was cruising threw the posts ,
I own a 2001 QX4 , bought it back in 2004 , it had 76K when I got it now has
334,000 miles
Original engine and transmission
Just brakes, shocks, battery or 2, and the alternator.
I just had a massive leak out the back of the engine , dripping down by bellhousing.

NoMoMonty
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4

Bought a 2003 QX4 about one year ago with only 92k or so and after 15,000 miles I've only done oil changes and shocks and struts. Also new spark plugs and fuel filter since they were original. I'm the second owner and (I think) it just sat in a garage in Newport Beach for 15 years. I have been driving this car pretty hard over the last year, frequently driving over the mountains between Bakersfield and San Diego and over the holiday I drove to Florida and back. I'm blown away by how smooth and solid this vehicle feels after all these years. Merging and passing on crowded LA freeways is no problem at all. It's a joy to drive compared to my last car, a (very slow) Montero Sport.

The only real issues I have:

Infrequent hard start, engine sometimes turns over slowly but always starts. There is also some fairly harsh vibration and rough idle while stopped but only if its in Drive and not moving.

Suspension getting a lil creaky. Occasional popping noise from the front end when pulling into a lot. Also getting a startling "side hop" movement from the rear when I hit a bump while turning.

The Bose stereo is garbage. At least the radio almost always works (although the antenna will not go up and down I think the motor still works)

Front washer fluid not coming out but the rear one works fine...wondering if they share a motor? Possibly just a blockage?

All in all I like it more than any other car I've owned I think. I love the retro-Japan styling and nimble handling. Really hoping to keep it for a long time.

ddenis1972
Car: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder SL

2015 Nissan Pathfinder SL RWD. bought it new. ~65k miles at the moment.
* Automatic back door needs to be calibrated often. It would start closing as soon as it finished opening. It stopped opening altogether a couple of times. no sound, nothing. I wiggled the cables at the fuse box a couple of times, and took fuse off, then it started working again. a couple of weeks ago it quit for good. I just downloaded the service manuals so will start troubleshooting this week (EE here).
* at 62k miles the cooling fans started making noise (both failed). replaced the whole assembly. did the work myself so only paid for the parts ($230 for fan assembly).

a9p
Car: 2002 Pathfinder LE RWD

Just got a 2002 Pathfinder LE 2WD 6 months ago, with 273k miles on it.

The Carfax report only lists fuel filter and spark plugs replacement in 09, I also replaced the fuel filter and an ignition coil. Seems like the dealer did some repairs too, the battery and the belts looked new. P0430 and P0420 are on, likely because of the catalytic converter. Front suspension needs some work too.

I love this car and the fact it still runs great after all these miles, but I've recently started having problems. When the weather is hot, when I accelerate, the car runs loudly and clearly is not as powerful as normally. Very sluggish. I'll describe it in a more appropriate place, maybe the Forum users will be able to hint at what's wrong!

Frank01pathfinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

I bought an 01 pathfinder 2 years ago with 205k miles on it. I did some work to it initially changed fluids, fuel filter, new tires and front brakes. She's at 234k right now and running great. I love this car. Hoping to keep it around for a long time.

When I first bought it, it barely passed smog. I could smell oil when I drove it. Since then I have run Lucas oil stabilizer with every oil change. I no longer smell oil burning and it passed smog recently no problems.

I plan on replacing the rear main seal and keeping her going strong.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Bought my 2002 Pathfinder SE 4WD with 174K miles on it. Excellent condition. One previous owner. The resell dealer had replaced all the brakes, repacked the hub bearings, and repaired/repainted minor rear end body damage. I immediately drained and replaced all oils from the differentials, transfer case, transmission, brake system and motor. Looks and rides great. I now have over 220K miles on it and it preforms better than new. Replaced the hub flanges with Warn free running manual locking hubs to free up the front end differential and drive axles from being turned by the front wheels when driving in 2WD mode. This gave me an extra 2 MPG and made the steering more responsive. Replaced the ignition coils with WeaponX Performance EFX coils which gave me another 1 MPG average increase and a stronger acceleration punch when moving from a stop or merging into freeway traffic. Normal worn out things (shocks, struts, coils springs, ball joints, suspension bushings, sway bar links) at this high mileage have now been replaced. I have little doubt my Pathfinder will see another 100K miles without any major repairs.

palmdizzo
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

2003 Nissan Pathfinder 243,000 KMS , i am having a hard time sourcing a rear hydraulic brake hose for my 2003 Pathfinder. the only ones i can find have one port on the little block end of the hose.the part that i need has 2 ports on the block. bothe rear brake lines screw into the little block

iam trying to attached a photot but it wont let me

any help i would appreciate

cheers

Logangriffin
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5

Hello, I just wanted to share this with all you pathy lovers out there. I own a 2004 pathfinder with the 3.5l. I have only repaired my throttle butterfly screws within the plenum, and put new plugs and coils. But I currently have 298,000 miles on it with the original engine. Aside of the normal maintenance, this car has never given me any kind of other troubles or left me stranded. I wish I had an opportunity to buy one brand new, because i :wtf2: would do it n a heartbeat.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Logangriffin wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57 am
I wish I had an opportunity to buy one brand new
I keep saying the same thing to anyone that will listen, including the dealership.
The best Pathfinders are the 2002-3-4's. It's been downhill ever since.
Like you, If there was a brand new 2003 QX-4 or Pathfinder available, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.
I travel to Florida every year for part of the winter, and on my next trip I'll be looking around for a low mileage unit, if they exist.
Maybe I'll get lucky.

PreachTheWord
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE

159k miles, used, abused, and abandoned. The engine was always good and it runs like a top. Look forward to putting miles on it.

Frank01pathfinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

Frank01pathfinder wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:01 pm
I bought an 01 pathfinder 2 years ago with 205k miles on it. I did some work to it initially changed fluids, fuel filter, new tires and front brakes. She's at 234k right now and running great. I love this car. Hoping to keep it around for a long time.

When I first bought it, it barely passed smog. I could smell oil when I drove it. Since then I have run Lucas oil stabilizer with every oil change. I no longer smell oil burning and it passed smog recently no problems.

I plan on replacing the rear main seal and keeping her going strong.
Ok had rear main seal changed now at 244k miles runs great.

509.Pepe

Hey guys I’m kind of new here I have a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder se and my automatic door locks aren’t working but my windows and sunroof are working is there anything I can do?

palmdizzo

while driving home my lifters started making all kinds of loud noises and its hard to keep at idle as it wants to stall out....

is this the oil pump fail? i have no codes and my oil light is not on
2003 pathfinder 3.5L
255,000 kms

pathfinder123$
Car: 1996 Nissan Pathfinder

1996 nissan pathfinder 130k
runs greats, built to last
check it out
https://youtu.be/o60bxKXSBAc

The Grand Pooh-Bah
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4

2001.5 Q]X4 with 165k miles
Just Did the following
KYB Rear Shocks
Air Lift Rear Air Bags
Draw-Tite Class III Hitch
OEM Rear Control Arm Bushings
New Sway Bar
4 x 245-65R17 Copper Discovery A/T
4 x Ultra Maverick 235 Wheels
Valve Cover Gasket Project
Fuel, Cabin, Oil and Air Filters

Hungry01
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Just got my dad’s 2004 Pathfinder LE that has been sitting since the pandemic, and planning to restore it back to decent shape as a daily until the chip shortage has calmed down, so I can buy a newer car later on.

174,080 miles so far
- cats been previously replaced at 100k

- Repairs so far
- New Battery/Alternator
- New Exhaust System
- Swirl Solenoid
- AC Blower Fan

Next Mods:
- New Trailing/Control Arms (Front/Rear)
- New Shocks/Struts
- New Sway Bar Links
- Brakes

So far the engine is still good as new, and the rust doesn’t look too bad underneath. I hope with these repairs, that it will get me thru until the upcoming spring. Plan to get everything good to go by winter!

donald
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 (RIP, 2011)
2010 Pathfinder LE

donald wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 pm
My 2001 Q just hit 256xxx miles.
I've had it since about 2011 which was at 126xxx miles.

My reverse gear just gave out, so my miles are going to stop here :(
aaaaaAAAND I'm back! :thewave:

2010 Nissan Pathfinder LE, 144210 miles :)

Granted, I still miss my 2001 Qx4. :boohoo: Upgrading that rig was easy with all the support and existing work done by other owners.
I'm finding out the R51 doesn't have as much "easy"/budget friendly upgrades. So far, IMO, it's a situation of either "keep it stock" or "pour some serious $$ into it" (serious compared to what was available for the R50).

Nonetheless, cheers! Hope to chat with some of you gear heads soon. :cheers:
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Legend11
Car: My Car: 2001.0 Infiniti QX4
Dad's Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4

Picked up our QX4 07/2014 around 125k. Currently has almost 189k. Has burned oil since we bought it (about 1qt every 400-700 miles) and still going so can't complain too much.

brightstar
Car: 2001 QX4
338,000 miles and counting !!

At present June 2022
My 2001 QX4 is at 337,897 miles
I cant say enough about this rig
ORIGINAL ENGINE , HEADS , TRANSMISSION (AUTO) , AND FRONT AND REAR DIFFERENTIALS AND TRANSFER CASE !!!
2 radiators
1 Alternator (PITA)
Plugs at 150K, 250K, 320K
Coil packs at 320K
Original Calipers (driver side now leaking) the reason I am on the forum
Front brake pads about every 75K
Front rotors at about 200K
I run KYB gas a justs ( best I have found) offer a little load carrying ability
just CHANGE YOUR FLUIDS !!!!
ENGINE 3500 miles
Trans/transfer case /differentials ANNUALLY !!!
SHE WILL THANK YOU FOR IT

AS_The_Crow_Flys
Car: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder

So not really a high mileage situation but still pretty good to be honest.

2007 with 120k on it. So far shocks were replaced twice, springs replaced once. Replaced front sway bar bushings (they were bulging out).

Other items replaced around 85k miles
Timing chain guides, water pump (because they were there already), radiator, replaced all fluids except brake fluid.

around 90k, the spring wire thing in the steering wheel broke. (this was a fiasco, I replaced it, and it snapped emediately. Gave up and paid the shop to do it).

spark plugs and valve cover gaskets replaced around 90k.

Semi regular oil changes - need to get better and more organized with this and other fluids.

Replaced one coil (others are all original).

I think there has been one oil change.

Wife bought it new.

I like to complain about it, but the for a vehicle that is 15 years old its honestly in pretty good shape.

jonnom130
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 sedan

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE going on 341,000 miles original engine and transmission still strong. Reluctantly purchased at 220k 9 years ago, turns out it was the best vehicle purchase I ever made. I’m
Sure I’m gonna miss a few things but I’ll list below the repairs and services

Starter and a/c resistor around 220k
Lower trailing arms around 230k
Rear oxygen sensors 235k
Rear catalytic converters 236k and hollowed out primary cats due to clog
Valve assembly solenoid 246k
Valve covers, gaskets and rear main seal 275k
Alternator 301k
Lower trailing arm bushings (replaced rubber bushings with polyurethane) 305k
Radiator and hoses 320k
Camshaft position sensor 327k
5 coil packs
3 sets of brakes
2 sets of plugs
All fluids changed several times
Only recall I’ve had to address was the Takata airbags
Attachments
7414F45A-AEBC-4553-80AF-C5F0A84F6E36.jpeg

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

IMG_0203 - Copy.JPG
185,000 , miles here. V8, 4x4

TopGun4570
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

97 pathfinder, 205,000 kms. I love my baby!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”