Pathfinder / QX4 Reliability (Post your mileage)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

owned my 99.5 for 2years as of this month, purchased with 58000kms, now has 104000kms.

-changed ignition and distributor cap (previous owner did a shotty remote starter installation)-new center muffler pipe and end pipe-small oil leak and burns some oil (conventional)-recently switched to semisynthetic-Expensive to maintain 4WD system but it works flawlessly-ran with nearly no coolant and a cracked rad cap for a while and didnt cause problems whatsoever (thank goodness)-timing belt and water pump to be changed in another 50000kms, going to put a huge dent in my bank account!

no major issues, its an expensive car to maintain, but if you spend lots on preventative maintenance, its very nice to you. I hope this lasts me years to come.

chickenknob
Car: 1993 180sx SR20DET, 2002 S2000

I got the hand me down from my brother its a

98 QX4 with 171,XXX miles and i replaced plugs for the second time and just serviced the trans. it just developed a crazy idle it will go dead at a stop and go up and down on the highway.

rumjungle
Car: First half 2001 Infiniti QX4

I have a 2001 QX4 - bought new 6/2000, I don't know the engine size, but it's 240 hsp and 4wd. The driver seat motor went out in 2 years, but was replaced under warranty, CD changer went out about a year ago and I ignore it partly because we're an iPod family, and partly I've been meaning to replace the whole stereo with a stereo/navigation/dvd system. Replaced ignition coils summer of 2006 with 90,000 on it, and had weird problem with headlights going off one or both and got that fixed this summer, they had to replace something in steering column I think. All in all, not much money spent on repairs for how much driving I do. And I use it like a truck, not a car. Always hauling a lot of stuff around, sometimes the back seat is down for months. Have 110,000 on it now and no real problems. Still looks great inside and out in spite of being misused by me.

By the way, any suggestions out there for a replacement stereo with nav/dvd, xm, bluetooth & iPod connect and backup camera? Price is not a big factor. I was going to buy a new SUV, and for what I save in just a few months by not making payments on a new one, I figure I can upgrade this one with all the stuff the new ones have.

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Bought an '03 Pathfinder (Chilkoot) in Nov '07, with 69,000mi on it. Now have 74k on it. Previous owner had it periodically taken it into Nissan for routine maintenance. I drive it in a northern Canadian city with frequent trips to rural areas. I replaced my '95 Chevy Lumina with a Pathfinder, mostly for easier winter driving and hauling around large quantities of sports equipment.

There have been no major mechanical issues with the vehicle. 1.5 quarts of oil was burned after 3k on dino oil. A bit high compared to the other vehicles in my family I do maintenance on. Switched to semi-synthetic and I'll be watching the levels this time around, topping off as necessary. Might make the move to full synthetic depending on how well it likes the semi-synthetic.

There is some minor rusting in both rear wheel wells, which might have been aggravated by all the salt that Canadian cities put on roads during the winter. I'll take care of it once it's warm enough outside for some sanding/priming/painting. In the meanwhile, I've just been controlling the rust with WD40. Paint on the hood also seems to chip easily.

Winters tend to easily freeze windows shut, and/or power windows aren't powerful enough. The Bose 6CD changer skips frequently when it's cold out as well.

Mileage in the winter has been around 15-16mpg with 60/40 city/hwy driving. Hoping it'll get up around 17-18mpg in the summer. A gas guzzler, but not overly bad when compared to other vehicles in it's class.

Power is impressive with the 3.5L. More than enough passing power and handles hills well. Towing the contents of my apartment in a moving trailer wasn't difficult at all. I'll be anxious to see how it handles steep mountain roads during vacation this summer.

With all-mode 4WD, the "auto" setting doesn't seem to improve traction much during winter on snowy roads. Left it in 4Hi most of the time for city driving and haven't had much trouble.

It came with a trailer hitch, but no trailer lights connector. Installing a connector wasn't difficult; but removing and reattaching the plastic covers that run along either side of the cargo area revealed cheap, plastic snaps that can be easily fatigued and broken. Rumours of the extra electrical load trailer lights add burning out the brake lights fuse were greatly exaggerated, and all went well.

Even though it's probably premature, I'll be doing full maintenance on the vehicle (plugs, fluids, filters) this summer. It's just nice to have a baseline point for maintenance tasks when you buy a used vehicle. Hopefully it might bump up the MPG a few points, too.

Overall, I'm very happy with the vehicle. I'll be watching out for some of the common problems... O2 sensors and timing belts, mostly, from what I've heard from other Pathy owners.

landl
Car: 1997 QX-4

Purchased a 1997 QX4 w/ 175K. First experience with one and after 2 mo. we're in love with it. Minor exhaust leak which I expect to fix soon. Rust spot here and there and the temp/compass not working but lots of luxury and AWD are a real plus for us here in CO.

stukieqx4
Car: 2000 qx4

2000 QX4 3.3105000 milesreplaced O2 and EVAP sensor@105000 , cd changer @60000, exhaust @ 102000, new tires @95000, new main crank pulley after rubber came out between two parts @ 98000? Squeaky windows fixed by myself after Madison WI dealership failed to fix.....Great truck buying boat, so we'll see how it works as tow truck!owned 92 pathfinder sold at 120000. 3.0 -5 spd, lost reverse @110000 broken pin. another great truck.

jplondon
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I have a 2001 QX4 with all the options, Nav, Tow Pkg, heated seats front and rear, and a lot of the problems I’ve have over the years I had forgotten about until reading this thread.

I am the second owner bought it with 37K miles on it and I am a mechanic so I didn’t worry about what I was getting into although I knew I was going to have issues having owned a I30 previously.

I have a subscription to ALL DATA for all my cars which is a big help. Anyway here is my laundry list so far but I don’t remember the exact mileage for these issues but the truck is at 83K now. I bought it in 2003.

Drivers side cam position sensor (replaced myself very easy)Drivers power seat (repaired myself not very easy but doable)Evaporator canister bypass valve (repaired semi difficult)Exhaust pipe over rear axel (repaired myself with inner sleeve and two clamps may last a couple of years but best solution for this is welding)Mass air flow sensor (cleaned it with control cleaner)I recently had to replace no 2 coil took about 8 hours to figure out, 10 minutes to actually replace, good luck trying that with any of the other 5 coils. Just to clarify sometimes if you have a miss that is not constant you get a DTC of 1320 the scanner wont always tell you which cylinder to I just kept clearing and checking till it finally was able to pin it down, I was either that or replace all at around $90 a pop.That thing with the windows in the winter being slow, I have that.Replace rotors one time around 74KRear brakes no problem yet.Don't remember when it started but I have a very noisy transfer case which I will try to tackle this summer.Everything on the bottom of this truck gets so rusty. I forgot to mention the first time I went down there to change the oil, the plastic cover that you have to remove to change the filter, half the screw were broken off and I havnt gotten around to drilling and re-tapping those out either.

TOPATHFINDER
Car: Pathfinder

I have 2001 Pathfinder and I hate that loud squeaking noise, engine starts to vibrate.

My brother has 99 QX4, many many problems at 160K. He's going to sell it.

rosiesc
Car: QX4 2001/ 70K

My 01 QX4 ( purchased used, now 70k) has been great, only 2 minor problems. The cd system has never worked- tried everythingn and a few months ago I replaced the battery, the LB headlights, then she also started to leak oil and power steering fluid. I lived outside the US and my local Nissan dealer quoted me $3000 to check the leaks... needless to say I am waiting til I get her back here. Other than that its been a great vehicle.

hearse83
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

I bought my 1998 Infiniti QX4 last year for only $2500, but it runs perfect. It has never been in an accident and to my knowledge, the former owners who were family friends had never had to have any major maintenance on it.

It is currently at 210,373 km and runs just perfect with not a single leak.

I should include-champaign gold w/ tan leather interior-fully loaded except CD changer

This truck was USED too. It was used at these people's lake house for pulling a boat and driving off road. So the body has a little wear on it, but the engine and drivetrain keep humming along with no problems, and it's especially good in the snow. Apparently they had always had it serviced at the perscribed intervals at the dealership they bought it from.

mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

A result was recently posted for the 2001--the repair rate appears to be about average, maybe a bit better. The sample size was small, so the reuslt is asterisked.

I'd like to get rid of that asterisk and include more model years. Need the help of more people here to do this...

Vehicle reliability research

saurus

i have a 99.5 XE bought at 76k as 2nd owner.

currently has 120k

since i have owned it i have had the following issues:

rear O2 sensor went at about 95k - cheapsway bars replaced at 110k - cheapnew exhaust system including 2 pipes, manifold, rear section/tail pipe, at 120k - $750

everything else no problems.

emjay2001
Car: 2001 QX4 Infiniti

New here, just signed up.

I have a 2001 QX4 that we bought new in April 2001. It has been an excellent vehicle for us. We had the sensor issue posted earlier, but that is about it. So far just regular maintenance. A bit of rust is starting to show up now. I just love, love, love my QX4. I am from Ontario and we have quite a bit of snow and it has done great. We are looking to put a trailer hitch on it for a bike rake. So I am off to search the forums.

Mary Jo

P.S. I have about 95K on it.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Signed up a year and a half ago, and never thought to write anything in this thread, until now.Bought my 2002 Pathfinder in late 2003, with 43,000Kms on it. I now have 186,000 Kms. Best vehicle I've ever owned, bar none. I'm not very kind to it, but it never complains. I have my own handyman/renovation business, and this truck is my work vehicle.I haul pretty much anything and everything.Switched to synthetic oil after I bought it, and it still goes from oil change to oil change with no loss. The engine still purrs like it was new. No loss of power.Other than routine maintenance, I can't think of any problems I've had, except for the O2 sensors. Right now the heat shields around my exhaust are rattling a bit, but I don't consider that an issue. Also, the CD player stopped working years ago, but who cares. I have my Ipod.As far as rust, I've oil sprayed this truck every year since I bought it, and there is no rust anywhere. The underside is still black. (This is a must if you live up here.)I plan to keep this truck for a long time. Compared to all the North American crap I've owned in the past, the Pathfinder is the best.

pathfinder9035
Car: 2001 Nissan pathfinder

hello everyone. my pathfinder currently had 104000 miles and now its running great. i just recently had to replace the number two coil pack because i forgot to plug it in that probably when i changed the sparkers so it was misfiring so thats probably what caused the coil to go bad i hope. i had to replace rear resonator last october but thats about it. ses came on again wth p0174 might have to replace cat or maf sensor in the near future. the engine though still smooth and full power. definitely planning to run this vehicle until it dies. goal is 300000 miles.

Presscott707
Car: 1999 Maxima 5spd

i just got a 1999 QX4 and it runs great and i love it already.

txmunger
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

I have a 1999 QX4. I purchased it used in 2000 with about 18,000 miles on it. It needed a new A/C compressor right away due to rattling. It was covered under warranty. Brakes, tires, oil changes, Timing belt, water pump, hoses, belts, rear shocks, and radio antenna. All replaced preventatively by myself except the antenna. It was just broken. Recently had to change the fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor, and plug wires. I now have 101,600 miles. This vehicle has only stranded me once when the fuel pump needed replacement. I'd buy another one if I could. Oh yea, needs another A/C compressor due to clutch noise.

dandiver
Car: 2002 QX4

My first post - I have a 2002 QX4 with -0- problems up until today with 71,000 miles. Because of this site, I just diagonosied a bad a/c fan moduel and will be able to quickly replace it for about $140.00. From this site I learned that dealers are charging between 700 and 1000 do do what I estimate will take about 30 minutes. I love this site!

Only routene maintenaine in 71,000 miles. Just added a new set of tires and still have the originasl brakes......

DanO

spiceman
Car: 03 Pathfinder

03 Pathfinder, purchased as a demo February 04.88,000 miles.

Very reliable except for the melting of the fuel vapor switch, and the fuel vapor cannister cracked.

Luckily this was covered under an extended warranty. Of course the dealer didn't discover that the cannister was cracked until we told them that replacing the switch did not correct the engine light problem. Would have cost almost $1k without the warranty- of course that includes extra labor as they did not catch the problem with the cannister the first time in.

Besides these fuel vapor/emissions problems, it's been maintenance, and replacement of the front brakes.

uniquem
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

Wow! Where do I start. 1998 QX4. Bought almost 4 years ago with 97,000 miles and had the timing belt, front seals, t-stat, hoses & water pump maintenance done at that time by the dealer. Now has 145,500 miles

-disassembled and cleaned turn signal switch (lights not working properly)-removed running boards (rusted through and dealer wanted $1800!!!)-replaced all tune up items and fluids-removed the removable roof rack bars (for better mpg?)-disassembled and cleaned A/C-heater blower (had to 'smack' it every time to get it to start working)-replaced stereo & speakers - added an amp & sub-replaced shocks/struts - KYB-replaced front brakes, rotors, grease seals, o-rings & repacked wheel bearings-replaced gas cap-replaced fuel filler tube (dealer recall)-replaced evap charcoal canister and vent control valve-replaced power steering pump (O'Reilly), high pressure PS hose, PS belt, A/C belt, alt belt, A/C idler pulley, alt idler pulley, harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley and flushed PS system-replaced muffler and rear silencer (removed heat shields) - Autozone

I guess that's 'kinda normal' stuff. I dunno. I do all of my own maintenance (except timing belt and recall item) and I buy OEM parts online (unless otherwise noted) so it's not too terribly expensive. My goal is to sell it before it needs another timing belt. I can't see sinking another $1000 into it at the dealer and I'm too chicken to do the timing belt.

Oh, and I'm about to replace the right rear O2 sensor (Autozone).

Wkz1gg0a
Car: 99.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE limited edition

Well I have a 99.5 nissan pathfinder se limited with about 105k. This car has taken a beaten bought brand new by my parents went thru a number of fender benders. I have changed everything except the transmission. Problems that the truck currently has is my doorlock actuators on both front doors are shot. She still runs like new Currently have A pioneer Deh-p2900mp deck4 6.5 pioneer TSG1642R G-Seriesand a pairt of MA audio MAEZ tweeters

casio79
Car: 97qx4, 07cx7,

Hi I got a 97 qx4 with 135000km, I had the timing belt, water pump, seals and gaskets done @ the dealer. last year I replace the shocks to kyb and outer cv boots. Just recently I had to replace the upper heater hose and Yesterday I had to replace the bypass hose ( that was a pain) cuz It was leaking and I changed the upper and lower rad hose so I wouln't have to worry about it later on. next I have to do my brake pads.

maikan
Car: Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot 1999 VG33E 4wd

Hello everyone Just signed in.I drive a 1999 chilkoot pathfinder. I am living in Quebec city and you can believe me this car played in a lot of snow.This truck is pretty reliable as far as i'm concerned.

Of course i have a sensor who passed out years ago but the dealer told us it was going to be very expensive to repair so we let it that way.

The tranny blew at about 260 000 Km but we did a lot of towing and I hear the path miss a tranny radiator and that is quite common.

The water pump died at about 220 000 and we change the timing belt too.

The exhaust was rusty and we change it too as well as rear suspension but afterwards we didn't see a lot of change.

Now at about 290 000 Km (180 000 Mi) rust is coming out of the rear panel and the chrome bumpers.

This was a work truck; we carry loads of woods well over the limits of the towing capacity, we cross snow banks higher than the hoods, and when the snow was not packed we can still go on with snow coming on top of the hood.

This truck never refuse to start, by +40 C or by -40 C, and this is real numbers. Great truck with a lot of torque who miss a little power and ABSOLUTELY MISS A REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL.

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

2002 QX4 AWD bought new. Now at about 67K miles. No failure and nothing replaced whatsoever except oil and filter change. I even skipped major maintenance.

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

update, bought my qx4 in feb '06 with 58,000 kms, it now has 123,000 kms and the only MAJOR repair ive done was a distributor cap and starter due to a botched remote starter install from previous owner.

Aside from that its regular stuff, and preventative maintenance....oil, filters, brakes, tires, bulbs, thats it. this thing rocks

oh and its got a 5 star crash rating and i get roughly 16-19 MPG

Nismo92Pathy
Car: 92 Nissan Pathfinder XE, 89 Mazda Rx7 GTUs

Well Here goes mine.

1992 Nissan Pathfinder Xe5spd 4x4

I've had her over a year 3rd owner 187xxx milesMaintinace according to Record bookTIming Chain Replaced by Nissan @ 110xxx milesregular Preventative maintinance at reccommended intervalsClutch replaced at 98xxx miles

Recent Repairs:All Struts replaced (left rear Snapped at Bolt hole)All Fluids changed (transmission, Differencials, Transfer case)flushed cooling system.Alignment Due to lift with torsen bars in front (lots o negative camber lol)

Love this Pathy, Bought it for my wife and it has never let us downits even had to pull start my rotary a couple times

rodguitar
Car: 98 Nissan Pathy

Did you ever correct shutter while shifting into into overdrive?? I have that too...

Pully on crank for A/C and Alt seperated at rubber for me too..

Replaced O2 sensors at 117,000 and had to do again cause check engine light came on a month later.. tech said it was because i used after market part.. Opt for OEM!!

korbeano89
Car: 1997 infiniti QX4

iv had my qx4 for a year know and bought it with 160,000 miles on it and now iv got 185,000 on it and haven't had a problem to date, i just take really good care about maintaining it, its flawless

knock on wood

plowjockey
Car: 1998 Pathfinder XE

1998 Pathfinder XE 5 speed 1st owner.

135,000 miles

Everything is original except headlamps, struts, shocks, tires, LF brake caliper and tune up parts.

Once, I was stupid enough to consider trading it on a used Ford F250 with a V10 engine, until the salesman quipped, "yea, those Nissan will run forever".

Nuff said.

Mischi
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

2001 QX4. Second owner. 126,000 miles, I bought it at 48,000. Replaced O2 sensor twice, shocks, struts most lamps. I just drove it from Philly to Orlando with no issues. A/C all the way at about 80mph. I'll never sell it and you can't make me.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”