Pathfinder / QX4 Reliability (Post your mileage)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
JINGRAM30
Car: 2001 pathfinder

I just bought a 2001 LE 2X4 3.5L Pathfinder. 175000 miles I had an XTERRA for 8 years with no problems.
However, my pathfinder won't start. I replaced the idle air control valve and had the ECM rebuilt. All that installed and it still won't start. Diagnostic shows nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Does the security indicator light flash after a failed start?

Welcome to NICO.

Jsinn
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

I purchased my '98 Pathy 11/2012 had 150k on it. Its now 8/2013 I have 167k on it. I had no idea about the strut recall, when I bought it, but it looks as though mine has been repaired (there is a big metal plate bolted behind the drivers side strut). Since Ive gotten it Ive swapped all fluids to synthetic, added a magnefine filter to the trans, new tires, new brakes, new windshield. I also recently coated the underside with chassis saver. There isnt much wrong with my Pathy aside from bushings being worn out. Im slowly replacing all bushings, springs, shocks, and struts. Cant wait till I have no more creaking and clanking from the suspension. I love my Pathy so far, but I wish more companies made stuff for the R50, and while Im wishing, I wish the R50 wasnt a unibody.

Jsinn
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

Here's a good tidbit for high mileage Pathfinders. I thought I needed a new valve cover gasket. It smelled of burning oil, and even smoked from under the hood sometimes. It all seemed to be coming from the passenger side valve cover, so I checked it out. I found that every single one of the screws holding the cover on was backed out pretty far. I screwed them down to german torque specs and no more oil smell or burning. Something to check out if you're Pathfinder has high mileage on it.

racerken
Car: Silver 2005 Pathfinder LE, Silver 2014 Outback 3.6R

2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4:
Outer Tie Rod Ends (left and right) within 3 months of each other.

do you think I should swap the inners (they seem OK...)?

E36M3

1997 QX4: 189,402
2001 QX4: 206,284

Both in excellent running condition.

BlueBMW
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE

Recently purchased a 2001 Pathfinder LE from the dealer I work at.

Its at 214,000 miles and seems to need very little right now. Slight oil leak on one valve cover, lower oil pan leak, belt squeak, floaty rear end, warped front rotors... and that's basically it. Seems like its been well maintained.

abnrjd
Car: 2004 nissan path (LE)

I wish I didn't have problems with my 2004 LE Platinum Pathfinder but I do and did! First off I don't do any FOUR WHELLING!!! or drive it into the ground or like a dam fool! but here's the problem(s) I have and had:
Death Sway - repaired with poly eurathane inserts
Pre muffler and intermediate exhaust pipe - replaced
catalytic convertors - replaced
struts, ball joints, sway bar end links, transfer case, transmission oil cooler, wheel bearings, shift lock solenoid, vent control swirl valve.
I consider myself a fairly experienced mechanic doing most of the repairs myself. however I am beginning to get that "FORD" feeling! I seem to spend more time under my beloved SUV than in it. I always wanted a Pathfinder in the body style I have and prefer foreign vehicles over American (another story) but I am coming to my whits end with this vehicle. I have 193K + miles on it and it has never left me stranded anywhere.

racerken
Car: Silver 2005 Pathfinder LE, Silver 2014 Outback 3.6R

abnrjd wrote:I wish I didn't have problems with my 2004 LE Platinum Pathfinder but I do and did! First off I don't do any FOUR WHELLING!!! or drive it into the ground or like a dam fool! but here's the problem(s) I have and had:
Death Sway - repaired with poly eurathane inserts
Pre muffler and intermediate exhaust pipe - replaced
catalytic convertors - replaced
struts, ball joints, sway bar end links, transfer case, transmission oil cooler, wheel bearings, shift lock solenoid, vent control swirl valve.
I consider myself a fairly experienced mechanic doing most of the repairs myself. however I am beginning to get that "FORD" feeling! I seem to spend more time under my beloved SUV than in it. I always wanted a Pathfinder in the body style I have and prefer foreign vehicles over American (another story) but I am coming to my whits end with this vehicle. I have 193K + miles on it and it has never left me stranded anywhere.
Hi abnrjd, which bushings did you replace? I had a 96/R50 path where i had this problem but not in my current 05/R51. Also, at which mileage did all these suspension parts fail? Did they fail or did you just replace out of being OCD, i.e., replace before you're stranded.
I live in Detroit (not literally - in the burbs...) where everyone has an F-150 which is the multi-purpose sports car, sedan, truck, station wagon.... this guy at work just spent 2k on doing what you just listed. If you don't fall asleep underneath you car, your wallet will... I personally can afford to send my car to a mechanic at any time but to me, working on my cars is great therapy. Plus, I know every rumble, bump, pinch, jerk squeal in my car.

abnrjd
Car: 2004 nissan path (LE)

I replaced the rear upper and lower trailing arm bushings, which did away with the death sway. now I have rattling in the front end, not sure if its the strut mounts or the wheel bearings. I don't have big stupid rims on it just the original 17 inch factory rims. I was wondering if at some point and time you basically have to replace either the strut mounts or the inner wheel bearings. I also replaced the sway bar end links also to include the front sway bar bushings.

mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

We've updated our reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2013 Pathfinder: 26, low
2008 Pathfinder: 22, low, very small sample size
2007 Pathfinder: 32, low, very small sample size
2006 Pathfinder: 77, moderate, small sample size
2005 Pathfinder: 72, moderate, small sample size
2003 Pathfinder: 55, low, small sample size
2002 Pathfinder: 55, low, small sample size
2001 Pathfinder: 44, low, small sample size
2000 Pathfinder: 54, low, small sample size
1998 Pathfinder: 73, low, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in November and February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help:

Nissan Pathfinder reliability ratings and comparisons

Nicholasrgraham
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE 4x4

I have an 01 pathfinder SE with 340xxxkm and still runs like a top. Minor problems in the past 2 years were;
Starter
Front Brake Rotors
Consistent Oil Changes
Dash Lights

Great truck.

lomac
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder

1999.5 Pathfinder SE (I think? lol)
386,xxx

Just replaced the rear shocks, valve cover gaskets and the #4 injector. Also did some regular maintenance at the same time by replacing the cap/rotor, plugs and wires. Fluid changes on the whole vehicle are up next, as are replacing the motorized antenna and putting in a new QX4 steering wheel (the one that came stock with the car has all the covering flaking off).

All in all, it's been good so far. Definitely a much different drive than the lowered cars I'm used to.

jaybirdjtski
Car: 1999 Pathfinder XE 4 WD

1999 Pathfinder XE 4wd with manual transmission:

77,000 miles.

Just replaced the entire clutch and resurfaced the flywheel. Bought this truck about 4-5 years ago with 39k miles. Driver was a little old lady who lived in the mountains and obviously didn't know how to drive with a manual tranny! Probably didn't use the hand brake when starting out on a hill. The throw out bearing was making noise and in the process of replacing the clutch assembly burn marks were found on the flywheel. The advice from my mechanic, a real mechanic and not a parts-replacer, was to resurface the original as the new OEM are inferior to the ones made 14 years ago. What a surprise!! NOT.............

Randy K
Car: 2002 QX4

2002 QX4 4WD, 195k. 2 brake jobs since I got it at 114k. First one turned everything, 2nd just pads. Replaced power antenna, exhaust resonator, both side low beams, flushed trans, flushed both diff's, coolant and regular synthetic oil changes. Had to replace the tube crossing the firewall containing coolant because of a pinhole leak and less than a yr later the radiator for same thing. Replaced console lid, and looking for a drivers leather lower seat to replace. Just chased down abs problem that appeared to be just a bad connection at the actuator. Need to do 2 O2's and a valve position sensor. And the bose cd doesn't work right anymore. That being said would buy another one if they still made it. Still get compliments on how good looking the truck is.

03R50
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE
1998 Pathfinder SE
1988 Bronco (Project stage)
1993 Civic Sir Genuine RHD(imported from Japan)
2000 Civic Cx (CTR look alike)
1993 Civic Si (Turbo Project)

Hey all, I'm new to Nico, but it's a great forum. I'm a big fan of Nissan Pathfinders, especially the R50's. The first one I had was a 98 SE 4x4, which I purchased from a customer of mine. It needed a trans and he didn't want to fix it, so I purchased it from him for $650. and spent an additional $600. dollars for a junkyard Trans and Transfer Case. The mileage was 129k when I swapped out the trans and T/case. Before I purchased it from him, I replaced the rear trailing arms (Death Wobble), O2 sensor bank 1 Sensor 2, Altenator, mid exhaust muffler, and replaced the middle coolant hose that's squeezed in deep on the VG33 motors. I just put 03 LE rims/tires and 03 LE running boards on it. Its just about to hit 140k miles. I gave it to my father since all that work was recently done, because I found a great deal on a 03 LE blk/blk with all mode 4wd with 149k miles on it. I am the 2nd owner, the original owner works with my cousin at the army base. He drives a round trip of 3hrs a day to work, so it's all highway miles. I did all the mantience that he lacked on doing. The car is in really good shape and I hope have it for years to come. The VQ35DE has way more pep than the VG33 motor. They bought do drive very smooth though. The 03 LE is more comfortable to drive personally, due to everything being powered, compared to the 98. I will keep everyone posted on the fixes. Enjoy all.

03R50
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE
1998 Pathfinder SE
1988 Bronco (Project stage)
1993 Civic Sir Genuine RHD(imported from Japan)
2000 Civic Cx (CTR look alike)
1993 Civic Si (Turbo Project)

Hey all, I'm new to Nico, but it's a great forum. I'm a big fan of Nissan Pathfinders, especially the R50's. The first one I had was a 98 SE 4x4, which I purchased from a customer of mine. It needed a trans and he didn't want to fix it, so I purchased it from him for $650. and spent an additional $600. dollars for a junkyard Trans and Transfer Case. The mileage was 129k when I swapped out the trans and T/case. Before I purchased it from him, I replaced the rear trailing arms (Death Wobble), O2 sensor bank 1 Sensor 2, Altenator, mid exhaust muffler, and replaced the middle coolant hose that's squeezed in deep on the VG33 motors. I just put 03 LE rims/tires and 03 LE running boards on it. Its just about to hit 140k miles. I gave it to my father since all that work was recently done.

I found a great deal on a 03 LE - Blk/Blk with all mode 4wd with 149k miles on it. I am the 2nd owner, the original owner works with my cousin at the army base. He drives a round trip of 3hrs a day to work, so it's all highway miles. I did all the mantience that he lacked on doing. OEM spark plugs, Fr/Rr diff service, Trans Filter/Fluid, Transfer Case flush, Front Rotors/Pads, Repacked Front Bearings, Fuel Filter, Rear Coil Springs, 2x OEM Bridgestone Tires, Walker Muffler, Walker Resonator Dr/side, and Filter. The car is in really good shape inside and out. After all that work, it drives like a new car. I hope have it for years to come.

The VQ35DE has way more pep than the VG33 motor. They both do drive very smooth though. The 03 LE is more comfortable to drive personally, due to everything being powered, compared to the 98. I will keep everyone posted on the fixes. Enjoy all. (Sorry if this posts twice, IPad is acting up)

Mark Mellott
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I just replaced my 1991 Pathfinder XE (manual trans) 4WD for a 2002 Pathfinder SE (auto trans) 4WD. I had the '91 since it was born. It was totaled twice but just with major body damage and then fully restored each time. I bought all the major parts on-line (hood, fenders, wheel well, front end body parts, etc.) and put it back together myself. Otherwise, in was not worth what a dealer or garage shop would charge. After 270,000 miles on the original engine, it still ran very well until some kid ran a red light and totaled me again. Nobody hurt but my '91 saw its last wrench. Insurance paid me off a couple grand which paid 40% of the cost on my new/used '02. It is extreamly clean, like it had only been driven on Sundays (so to speak). 180,000 miles of Sunday driving but it is in great shape. Replaced the struts, shocks, O2 sensors, all of the oils, and the spark plugs. It get 22mpg on the highway and I think I'll get another 180,000 miles out of it.

jheller
Car: 02 pathmaker

02 path 3.5 auto 4x4 190,000 drive like a grandma onroad ready to roll it offroad. That being said, no major problems. Replaced stock battery in 2011 160,000 - starter in 2013 175,000. 2" AC lift and polyurethane bushings at 130,000. To the book maintenance with 100% Lucas in front and rear diffs. 10w40 Mobil synthetic. Stock Bose radio is crap and speakers would cut in and out, replaced stereo with aftermarket and still speaker problem so replaced speakers and ran new wires, problem solved. No timing belt it's got the chain, gave it a little tension when I got it at 120,000 about ready to check again at 200,000. Deep water (2-3 feet) will send an O2 check engine and sometimes stall the motor but i still get out. To lazy and to expensive to right now(knock on wood) Stock oil cooler leaks, again to lazy for maybe a quart a month if that. Clear coat is flaking off but I will probly just rattle can it flat black. Tiger Stripe camo would be cool. Gotta say I love this rig. Stay off the high revs and you will go far. forgot the sparklers always gotta do the sparklers
fist bump to the vq35 :mike :mike

Tacticalsaint
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

152,000 2nd owner. Working on replacing suspension parts at this time, valve covers are leaking pretty good now ( cant wait to get in to that) looks pretty difficult on the drivers side all the hoses and wires and all. After all that a fresh timing belt and we should be good for another 100k.

Mudfinder37
Car: 98 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4X4

I swapped a 99 mustang gt for a 98 pathfinder se 4x4 so I can get out to my deer stand. It had 177, 000 miles on it and I'm hoping for many more. Its a little rough and needs some tlc but I'm enjoying it so far.

gcjazz12
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

QX4 just hit 209k - love this thing - want to go for 300k!

BrianG
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

2001 Pathfinder LE 4X4 Auto tran 148k miles
Regular Mobil One Full Synthetic Oil and Transmission fluid changes (annually) installed a K & N Air Filter. Tire rotations and alignments, belts and pulleys after 110k

Replaced the cam sensor (twice) on the right bank
Coil packs and plugs on #1 (twice), 2, 3, 5 and 6. Not looking forward to changing #4 when it finally goes.
Clock on the dash no longer functions - I've looked for it online and have seen prices ranging from $125-$200..yikes. I found two in the junk yard, plugged them in and nothing.
Half of the lights in the heater controls are out.
Replaced the back shocks
In the process of changing both CV axles (boot tears), rotors and pads
I'll get after the front struts when the weather and garage aren't so cold. 27deg today

It's been a great truck and I've very protective and proud of it. I'll keep it until the wheels fall off...BTW, it's paid for...

mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

We've updated our reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through September 30, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2013 Pathfinder: 71, high
2008 Pathfinder: 26, low, small sample size
2007 Pathfinder: 27, low, very small sample size
2006 Pathfinder: 73, moderate, very small sample size
2005 Pathfinder: 69, moderate, small sample size
2003 Pathfinder: 47, low, small sample size
2002 Pathfinder: 71, low, small sample size
2001 Pathfinder: 56, low, small sample size
2000 Pathfinder: 66, low, small sample size

We'll have further updates later this month and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Nissan Pathfinder reliability ratings and comparisons

J WALL
Car: 1997 INFINITI QX4 2001 BMW Z3

HI, THIS IS MY FIRST POST. I HAVE A 1997 INFINITI QX4, GREAT RIDE, AND VERY DEPENDABLE. I AM THE SECOND OWNER PURCHASED VEHICLE IN DEC. 2002 WITH 93,00 MILES. JUST RETURNED FROM SHOP AFTER ALMOST 2 WEEKS OF TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY IT STALLED OUT WHILE DRIVING AND NOT STARTING REGULARLY, THEY FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM A FAULTY ECCS RELAY. QX4 NOW HAS 153,000 MILES I HAVE REPLACED TIMING BELT,WATER PUMP, STRUTS, BRAKES, STARTER (TWICE), ALTERNATOR, REAR SHOCKS, CV BOOTS, BELTS AND HOSES, HARMONIC BALANCER, SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE STERIO UNIT WHICH I FIXED, OTHER THAN THAT JUST REGULAR MAINTENANCE. I PLAN TO KEEP THIS VEHICLE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. I AM NOW RETIRED BUT STILL DO MAINTENANCE ON MY WIFE'S 4-PLEX AND USE THE QX4 TO HAUL MY TOOLS AND PARTS. I ENJOY READING ALL THE POST ON THE NICO CLUB FORUMS, THANKS AND GOOD DAY.

J WALL
Car: 1997 INFINITI QX4 2001 BMW Z3

parislynn1122 wrote:Any probs ever with it shutting off when stopped? I have a 97 Qx4 and the last few months it has been shutting off randomly when stopped at light or idle in driveway. My mechanic was stumped for a while because it didn't throw any codes for forever! However not after not passing smog for the first time they're thinkin my cat.conv. or O2 sensor... I am a girl and at a loss of which way to go... seeking help and answers!
SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD WITH MY 97 QX4. MACHANIC FINALLY FOUND FAULTY ECCS FUEL RELAY. I HAD READ A POST ON THE NICO FORUM WITH SIMULAR SYMPTOMS THAT STATED HE TAPPED ON THE RELAY WHILE VEHICLE WAS RUNNING WHICH CAUSED IT TO SPUTTER. HE REPLACED IT WITH DEFROST RELAY TO TEST AND THE PROBLEM SEEMED TO BE CURRED. GOOD LUCK, HOPE THIS HELPED.

Drexellake

1998 - 215,321 and going strong. Everything still works, and runs and rides smooth.

Pathy11
Car: black 2011 pathfinder LE silver edition

I had a 2000 qx4 ...until it was wrecked(totalled) in my driveway a couple of weeks ago by a runaway minivan. :wtf2:
Anyway it had 140 k mile
I did ... brakes 2 times
Regular oil changes
muffler
tires
timing chain with waterpump
radio antenna worked but made a noise when going up or down (never got around to fixing it
brake line broke
1 front light bulb burnt
and because we have harsh winters up here in Canada, I had to repaint it
This is everything I did to it in 14 years ... I believe it was very good to me
I did have a burnt oil smell on start up but never got around to fixing it
:dblthumb:

Countryhb
Car: 02 Pathfinder SE

02 Pathfinder SE 215k miles and running strong.
Rebuilt tranny
o2 sensor
Timing sensor
Struts
Need rear shocks

adamt314
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 3.5L

2002 SE 4wd with 180k. Mostly highway miles. Most recent repair was repairing the ball joints as they were shot. Slight oil leak was recently fixed as well.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”