Pathfinder / QX4 Reliability (Post your mileage)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

How often do you change your engine oil & filter? If you're changing it any sooner than 5k miles, you are wasting your money using any synthetic engine oil. The difference between conventional and synthetic oil boils down to which one lasts longer in relation to cost, not which one is "better". A conventional oil will match a synthetic's wear rate without a problem up to 5k miles in most any engine today in my opinion; in fact, see this thread on Bob Is The Oil Guy. It catalogs a particular 2010 F150's owner's used oil analyses between Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil Super 5000. The MS5K clearly matches or betters the wear rates of PU at slightly shorter oil change intervals. Why pay more if you're not going to use the innate benefits of synthetic oil - primarily the ability to extend your oil change interval to 7.5k miles or more, and secondly better cold weather performance?

You need to overfill your transmission. See this thread on NPORA for details.

zach7685
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4
2001.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold
2005 VW beetle Convertible
2001.1 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I go 6K on full synthetic and have a K&N oil filter I got for free in now.

Arrow
Car: 1990 240SX SE - SOLD
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - SOLD
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - corner carver
1998 Pathfinder

Hello Everyone! Just wanted to post up my mileage / problems / repairs...

1998 Pathfinder SE Manual Trans 4WD =D
2nd owner - bought it at 165,000 miles
Currently has 176,000 miles
Previous owner replaced the sparkplugs, distributor (looks like the entire thing was replaced not just the cap and rotor)

I replaced the clutch at 171,000 miles - it wasn't slipping but I had a noise (found out after reassembling everything that it was my pilot bushing - the one thing I didn't replace because my puller couldn't extract the old one ::fail:: )

The bushings in the rear are mostly shot - Got replacement lower trailing arms to put in it but have to try again since I couldn't get the rear bolts out without cutting them (and I haven't bought new bolts yet) - but oddly enough I got the huts off no problem (little problem) - just couldn't get the bolt to slide out!

The valve cover gaskets are leaking a bit

The rear main seal was leaking a very little bit (but couldn't get the housing off when I did the clutch w/o dropping the oil pan which would require dropping the front Diff - which I didn't want to do at the time in a parking lot)

The transfer case rear main seal seems to be leaking some too - so that's next on my list to fix once I get the trailing arms replaced.

I need to check / replace / install the in-cabin bin filters

Aside from that, it runs strong and aside from gas mileage being 16 city 20ish hwy and having the side steps rust out (still have them on though and you can still stand on them, but I'll be removing them shortly) it's running strong! In fact, I am currently waiting for a set of General Grabber AT2's to get in so I can get some fresh tires on my pathy!

linarema
Car: 2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE (4x4)

2006 Pathfinder LE. 109K. Regular maintenance - NO PROBLEMS! Love this SUV!

kjildad
Car: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder Silver

69000 miles in 17 months on my 2011 Pathfinder Silver. Nothing more than schedule maintenance, oil changes, etc. I put 89000 on a 2008 Altima before turning it in on trade in 2011. I am already planning my next purchase for 2013--Altima or a new Pathfinder

emodkobra
Car: 2001 Infinity Qx4

Im on my second QX4 i have owned! best damn truck ever!
253k and engine running smooth!!

cant complain, except the things i have to change.
one question thou, i am needing to change my suspension... its the original..

what brand you would say is good? KNB..Monroe.. anything else?
and a good website to order?

thanks for the help qx4's!!!

Kobra

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Welcome to NICO!

I'm quite happy with KYB struts and shocks. I went with KYB Excel-G struts and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. I used Raybestos strut mounts. I purchased them from RockAuto with a 5% discount code for $377.67 shipped to my door.

MuddyR50
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

I just picked up my truck on September 5/12 with 289,xxx km just rolled past 295,000km today. 98 Pathfinder 5 speed. I'm actually not sure if it's le or se.
Original motor, tranny was rebuilt 50,000kms ago according to the service records.
Runs great already did some light mudding with it and it was great. My first import doesn't look like it will be my last.

ansarim786
Car: 1999 INFINITI QX4 4WD

Have a 99 QX4. Bought brand new in NJ. Driven by 2 only - wife and I. Well taken care of. Just crossed 200K and passed NJ inspection - no issues except lose gas cap. Bit of rust around the hood and front passenger wheel well. Otherwise, all works. Love my QX4.

Rogue Three
Car: 2012 FWD Rogue SL
2014 Dodge Durango R/T

We have an 06 Pathfinder with 71k miles. I perform the scheduled maintenance, as required. So far I have had to do the following:

1. Replace the steering column bearings.
2. Replace the ECN.
3. Replace the catalytic converter.
4. Replace the transmission and radiator.
5. Replace the timing chain.

Can you say lemon?

dsweete
Car: Infiniti QX 4

I have a 2003 Platinum Edition QX 4. I have put on one set of tires, brakes and new exhaust. Currently the only issues are the running board undercarriage rotting in the middle and the intelli cruise not working. The vehicle as 240,000KMs and has really had no issues given this is driven year round and is mint other than the two problems above. I have a new cruise control distance sensor ready to install which I got for free and now looking for the running board undercarriage at a reasonable price.

Given the original purchase price and the kms this has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned. The previous vehicles: Jeeps (3), Toyota, Subaru have paled in comparison to this vehicle. I just wish they would make them again!

lugerhead
Car: QX4

I have a 1998 QX4 with 194K. Had it since 04 and had 123K miles at the time we got it with a fresh timing belt and major service. Other than regular service parts, belts, brakes, shocks, etc I have replaced the fan/alternator belt idler pulley, valve cover gaskets and two license plate light bulbs. I'm a retired mechanic and this vehicle has amazed me on reliability. Just did another major service last week, flushed all fluids, timing belt, water pump,thermostat,tune up, crank and cam seals. I do have a question on the starter. Being a mechanic for a overnight shipping company for 26 years we used some starters, and this one just sounds the same day in and day out. Just how long will a Nissan starter last? We use the Q for beach trips and there are two parks where we go that we drive out on the beach. Bad place for a starter to give up, plus it's 200 miles from home. Should I be getting nervous?

tmoehl
Car: 1987, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004 (2) Nissan Pathfinders, 1988 Nissan 300ZX SS, 1972 240z, 1980 280zx, 1985 300zx turbo

I've had/have 5 Pathfinders:
'87 XE 156K
'92 XE 236K
'03 LE 138K
'02 LE 166K
recent purchase:
'04 LE 29K

RC_51
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Hello all, first time poster..

No specific question....just a brief history of my service record.

2002 QX4 with 125,000 miles. Just had the 105K major service done this past weekend (a little late, but I had all of the major services included in this particular one performed at earlier dates with the exception of the spark plugs). Vehicle inspection turned out OK with a few areas of concern:

-Oil Cooler Leak (dealer estimate $170)
-Oil Drip @ Valve Covers
-Coolant Drip @ Crossover pipe (dealer estimate is $1200 to fix this and Oil Drip).

Anyone experienced these problems?

Won't be having the dealer perform these services. In fact, won't be returning to the dealer at all after the fiasco this weekend when they stripped two wheel studs and didn't tell me. I just happened to notice two missing lug nuts this morning when I was getting a squirrel out from underneath my car. Overpriced and shadiness will kill a business relationship every time.. :nono:

Previous History performed on vehicle in no particular order:

-Replaced Upper/Lower trailing arms and Rear Shocks (115k)
-Trans/Brake/Powersteering Flushes (101k/87k/109k)
-Fuel Induction Service (109k)
-Throttle Body cleaned 2x (96k/125k)
-Replaced Passenger Side Solenoid Valve Timing Control (89k)
-02 Sensors replaced.
-Both Matsushita HID ballasts replaced (what a PITA! DO NOT let dealer do this). (120k)
-Changed Philips HID bulbs once.
-Replaced in-cabin air filter
-Replaced Center Console lid (leather was cracking all over)
-Replaced Bose 6-disc changer after it stopped reading cds.
-Need to patch up leather tear near the driver's seat controls

I've been happy with the vehicle with the exception of a few minor things. The gas mileage is dog crap and my running boards have been rendered useless due to the rust underneath. The boards don't pose a threat to me b/c I know not to use them but those few times someone steps on them without a warning I've got to hold my breath and hope for the best. Lastly, I've been through 5 batteries the past 6 years. All have been replaced for free from the dealer, but it's getting a bit ridiculous. The dealer has insisted that I've just been the recipient of some bad batteries and luck (you don't say :bs: ) and that they have recently switched to Interstate batteries which will hopefully alleviate the problem. We'll see how long this one lasts that I received over the weekend. I wanted the dealer to isolate the problem while my extended warranty was still valid but they could not find any issues with my electrical system.

Anyone experienced the oil/coolant leaks that I've got to take care of?
Last edited by RC_51 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Welcome to NICO!

See this thread for oil cooler O-ring replacement. It's very easy, definitely do it yourself. Also tighten the valve cover bolts to see if the leak goes away, the bolts can work themselves loose sometimes. Not sure about the coolant drip at the crossover pipe, can you provide a picture?

RC_51
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the problematic area. If the dealer snapped photos of the services they recommended I'm pretty sure they'd go out of business. :) When I take it in next I'll see if I can't take a few as I have yet to get underneath and inspect.

According to the service advisor I'm not losing a lot of coolant. In fact, there wasn't a leak present but a small amount of dried coolant was present somewhere on the crossover pipe that connects the two heads (I think?). Perhaps it was a spill when from the last time they added coolant (but not knowing where the crossover pipe is this theory doesn't seem very plausible).

Preliminary research suggests that I might be experiencing the same problem as this guy:
coolant-leak-01-pathfinder-t549729.html

and

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/ ... ipe-50599/

The OP on the latter describes his frustration with the "stealership" in that they said they needed to pull the tranny to access the pipe and seal it up. 5 hours of labor for some silicone! We'll see what my family's mechanic of 30 years says when I take it in next time.

Thanks for the advice on the oil cooler O-Ring.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Ooh, that sounds terrible if that's truly what it is. I sure hope that's not it, and I hope mine never leaks, heh! Is the leak coming from the rear engine area? There is a water control valve there (basically a second thermostat which opens at 210 degrees F if I recall correctly) which could be a potential leak spot.

Could you start a new thread if you wish to discuss this, or any other potential problems? We don't want to clog up this thread. :)

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

I've got a 2001.0 Pathfinder with 220,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance, I've had to do:

Clutch, at about 130,000 miles.

Both cam advance sensors in hope of making making codes P1110/P1135 go away. This was unsuccessful. I
believe that the root cause is that the oil pressure is down a bit, and is insufficient to actuate the cam advance
until about 2500 RPM. I can keep these codes away most of the time by running 10W40 oil and not accelerating
hard between 1500 and 2500 RPM

Rear upper trailing link bushings, three times, first two times with Nissan bushings, third time with 4x4parts.com
urethane.

Rear lower trailing link bushings, once with 4x4parts.com urethane.

Rear bump stops.

Mass air flow sensor.

A couple of O2 sensors, first on warrantee.

Thermostat.

All in all not bad for the mileage.

Chuck

00pathyse
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Sedan

About 110 000 miles on our 2000 SE. Runs as good as the day we got it about 7 years ago. Moved all over the country and she's done plenty of towing without issues.

Other than regular maintenance items we've had to replace one O2 sensor, the fan speed switch in the dash and a cracked front coil. Had the housing corrosion recall done this month so should be good for another 7! Really happy with this SUV.

zin1904
Car: 07 G35 Coupe/01 Pathfinder 4WD

Just picked up 2001 Pathfinder 4WD @ 97K. Took it to the shop and they said the only thing really wrong with it are the tires are really bad and used up except for 1 and the 2 belts have multiple cracks. Not to bad for purchasing an 11 year old truck. After reading some reviews and other forums, it seems I've picked a great truck. I'm hoping to keep this vehicle for a long time as my daily so that my G35 could remain my project/garaged/special evening car. My only gripe about this truck so far are the electronic components(i.e. radio "err2", fuel/speedo lights out, and other illumination problems with the AC controls) but all replaceable easy fixes.

I'll post on here again once I hit the 130-200K marker and talk about my experiences.

THatfield
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4

2003 Infiniti QX4

Bought with 69,000 miles

Now has 73,000 miles :shifter:

Intermittent SES Lamp because of a Fuel Filler Neck Sensor (can't remember the exact name)

I need to change some fluids and the oil. Sunday funday! :biggrin:

(edited to include the int. SES)
Last edited by THatfield on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

Hmmm, looks like I didn't have a record of this thread and haven't posted any survey results to it in a long time.

Our current reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 47, about average

2007: 43, better than average

2006: 44, better than average

2005: 39, better than average

Sample sizes remain small, even very small, for all but the 2005. This probably explains much of the variation from year to year.

We'll have further updates in February and May. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved!

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Nissan Pathfinder reliability ratings and comparisons

K03sport
Car: 04 Pathfinder. My first Nissan was a '72 Datsun 510 Wagon.

58,472 mile update,,,

just got done with a 3300 mile trip and all is well. for those wanting to know, we averaged 19-20mpg the entire trip while going 70-75 mph (GPS indicated) a majority of the time using 89 octane.

The trip included stints on OH-35 E, I-40 E, I-77 S, I-10/I-12 W , I-20 W & E, I-30 E, I-65 N, I-71Nand I-75 N. Lots of varied terrain, some slow downs through major cities, with the only major hiccup on I-12 when we were doing 30mph w/ less than 100 ft visibility thanks to one of the most recent winter storms.

My only concern during the trip was the slight indication of burning some oil. I added a quart to put the oil back into the hashed part of the dipstick during our stop in FL.

In all fairness though, the oil has been in the truck for over 12 months and had approx 4400mi on it when I added the quart. Yes, I know, it is time for an oil change, so that will be happening this week.

Nothing major to report. Had front brakes done 2 months ago (50K miles and 8 years isn't too bad for the OE stuff), replaced center and rear exhaust sections due to rust-through at the 8 yr point, new battery at the 7 yr point, trans fluid and diff oil at 35k. That reminds me, I need to change the t-case fluid; still has the OE fluid in it.

Feel free to ask any questions. :bigthumb:
Last edited by K03sport on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

tlrsgto
Car: 1997 nissan pathfinder se
*fully loaded R50
Bose package
31" khumo m/t

my 97 pathy best thing ever most reliable truck ever on the road I mean woods truck/daily driver only thing that has ever been replace is front passenger cv axle control arms x2 oil sending unit and harmonic balance.
I have had the most trouble out of my control arms and my harmonic balance.

iPath
Car: 04 SE

2004, 65,000 miles. Only problems (basically negligible) have been squeaky belts and exhaust resonator rust through.

donald
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 (RIP, 2011)
2010 Pathfinder LE

Hmph - I thought I already posted in here :P

2001 Qx4
purchased: 01/2011 - 124xxx miles (199xxx km)
01/13 odo reading - 190xxx miles (305xxx km) - too much commuting to work :(

Issues
Just that darned transmission flare when fluids are cooled down

Updates/maintenance/modifications
WARN manual-lock hubs
KYB Excel-G struts
KYB Gas-A-Just shocks
OME "medium" duty springs all around
Moving over to Amsoil fluids (motor oil, tranny/transfer case, differential gear oil) in a few months (by my sibling's encouragement :p)

jd-hm
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4
2004 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab

at 166342 miles my engine gave up on me, tune ups and all the routine maintenance you could think of where done in an excellent timing fashion, driving 3 hours straight then all of a sudden the oil preassure warning light came on not 5 seconds went by when a knocking sound came from under the engine, stopped the car popped the hood, check the oil and smoke came from the dip stick tube, towed back home, drained the oil and gold metal shavings were discovered, a rod had gone bad after an oil pump feilure, according to a mechanic but guess what I'm willing to buy a used engine imported from japan by jdmengines with less than 60k miles and have it installed all for 1400 dlrs because that's how much I loove this qx4 and that was the one and only time it failed

hotdawwgman
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Just picked my 99.5 up yesterday. It has 160,579 miles on it and it drives great for the age and miles!

skiski329
Car: Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5

2000 pathy crossed 150,000 miles last week!

KellyBoston
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL

2001 Infiniti QX4

I purchased a 2001 QX4 back in Sept. it had 140k on it, but it was super clean and loaded, black on black, and I picked it up for $3800. I just turned over 150k tonight!! I love this SUV so far!!

I do have a few minor issues: check engine light is on due to o2 sensors? The exhaust is newer, and it rattles against the rear axle at Interstate speeds, or so I was told by a technician. Occasionally wen I go to start it...it just clicks without turning over. I simply turn the key back, and it usually starts second time. I assume these are mostly common issues due to age and mileage??

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”