Nissan / Infiniti EXTENDED warranty information

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
RasBigz
Car: 2015 Nissan Altima

Great info to know!!! I got a new 2015 (just turned 1 year owned). Trying to make sure it is in mint condition.

66Cad

Hi Folks,
Just wanted to take a minute and comment on Courtney Metema (see below). I just bought a 2015 Q60S with 1,059 miles on it. Infiniti's qualifications for the warranty indicated that it would fall under a used car plan because it was over 6 mos. old. I had a dealer quote me $1999, 8yr. $100 deductible (got his contact info from this thread) under their New car plan. Courtney spent 3 days going back and forth with me, phone and email trying to figure how the car could fall under the New car plan.

Courtney finally called her Infiniti rep and was able to get me covered under the New car plan because the mileage was so low on the car.

Not for the $1999 I was quoted by the other dealer. She sold it to me for $1479.

Bottom line, she ROCKS! She spent a lot of time with me on this. Her service to me was stellar! I can't say enough positive about her. Don't waste your time with others, just call her! :chuckle:

Courtney Mutema
EliteProtectionPlan.com
1-866-374-3412
1-480-941-4481 (fax)

PoMansVan
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

I generally don't buy EWs for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, but I reluctantly bought one for my recently acquired "certified pre-owned" 2016 Nissan Quest SV that had 32K miles on the ticker. This van was previously a rental. The CPO status gives it 7yrs/70K total of powertrain only coverage. The super-mega dealer chain I bought the Quest from deals with EW contracts through "The Mechanic" which is backed by "The Warranty Group". For 5yrs/70K miles of additional bumper/bumper coverage with zero deductible provided you use any of the service departments within this dealer group. $100 outside the dealerships. They originally came at me with a figure that was right around $3000. The lowest they would go was $2100 and I took it, but I'm somewhat sick about it. LOL. Regardless, I'm covered for 5yrs/ ~102K miles.

ssmrico
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37S

good info im looking into getting one for my 11 m37 has about 92k right now

PoMansVan

I messed up on my numbers above and it was too late to edit! The CPO status of my 2016 Quest gives it 7yrs100K mile power-train only coverage. My ~$2100 extended warranty is 5yrs/75K miles bumper/bumper coverage from the date I purchased it.

Whindy
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q60 Convertible

I bought a warranty from my credit union. It was about 1/2 of what the dealer was offering. It turned out they were the exact same warranty backed by Mercury Insurance. It's critical to read the fine print to see what you are getting.

DaytonDennis
Car: 2016 Rogue SV

PoMansVan wrote:I generally don't buy EWs for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, but I reluctantly bought one for my recently acquired "certified pre-owned" 2016 Nissan Quest SV that had 32K miles on the ticker. This van was previously a rental. The CPO status gives it 7yrs/70K total of powertrain only coverage. The super-mega dealer chain I bought the Quest from deals with EW contracts through "The Mechanic" which is backed by "The Warranty Group". For 5yrs/70K miles of additional bumper/bumper coverage with zero deductible provided you use any of the service departments within this dealer group. $100 outside the dealerships. They originally came at me with a figure that was right around $3000. The lowest they would go was $2100 and I took it, but I'm somewhat sick about it. LOL. Regardless, I'm covered for 5yrs/ ~102K miles.
I don't think that's a bad deal for the mileage. I just purchased my Rogue in December 2016. At the "closing table" the finance guy quickly pressured me to buy a warranty extending the factory warranty to 10 year, 100,000 miles. He started at $4,000, I said no. 10 minutes later, he offered it for $3,000. I said no. 10 minutes later he said he'd give it to me for $2000. I said, can I take it home and read it over more closely. He said no, it's now or never. I was wary as he original asked (and obviously would have took) DOUBLE what he would have settled for. The 100k isn't so attractive, as I don't drive that much. The 10 year I would have been interested in but not without looking at the contract more closely. I would like to have taken it, but why it was "now or never" pissed me off - you would have screwed me for double the price, what else am I missing? Oh well, maybe when the 36 months is nearing the end and my mileage is still fairly low I may try somewhere. I am a little confused by who you bought yours through. Was it through "the Mechanic", the Warranty group" or through the place you bought it from?

mrnightsky
Car: 2013 M37x

For anyone who had purchased the Infiniti Elite Protection from Courtney (or remotely), how much did you have to pay for the IEPP inspection at your local dealership? What did you tell them you wanted done? Just say you want the IEPP inspection? Used car inspection?
If you happen to be in the Houston area, where did you go?

Thanks in advance!

PoMansVan

DaytonDennis wrote:........ Oh well, maybe when the 36 months is nearing the end and my mileage is still fairly low I may try somewhere. I am a little confused by who you bought yours through. Was it through "the Mechanic", the Warranty group" or through the place you bought it from?
Dennis, sorry I missed your post! The aftermarket warranty I purchased was one of the preferred companies/ contracts this dealer chain likes to work with. I can use any one of their dozens of local dealerships for service should I need to.

I think you were wise in declining the package your dealer was trying to sell you. These packages typically get more expensive to buy as the vehicle ages, but I guess you'd expect that. My used 2016 Quest was IMO at the perfect point to by an EW given it already had mileage in the low 30K range.

If you do decide you want an EW down the road, I'd keep researching these boards and buy a genuine Nissan warranty online to use at your local dealerships. Aftermarket warranties are good too, just make sure the shops you use like to work with them.

nickn2015

I just purchased a Nissan warranty through Santa Rosa Jim Bone Nissan. Very big discount compared to where I bought the car.

84 month 100K $100 deductible $1755
Dealer cost is about $2400 and the retail cost is around $4400. I looked at the cost books where I bought the car and this is what I saw.

Jim Bone Nissan sells these on line and they sell a lot of them to smart shoppers.

austinb5y

Q451990 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:56 pm
I think to some extent it depends on the car. The extended warranty on my first Q paid for 3 transmissions, a fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, an ignition switch, and a ton of other stuff. On the wife's G they made some of that money back. If I were buying a Maxima or Q40, I'd probably take my chances. With a car like a Q50 that appears to be very glitchy, I'd be more likely to spend the cash.
Looking to purchase a 2015 Q40 with 23k miles - The original basic warranty expires at 60k or October 2018 (14 months), and the Factory Powertrain will expire October 2020 or 70k miles (38 months).

Dealer offered me a 48k 4 year extended service warranty for $2495

Seems high to me, considering its only giving me an additional 34 months of basic and 10 months of powertrain.

Anyone here have experience with these warranties? My previous vehicles have all been high-mileage Lexus, Honda, and Chevy vehicles so I've typically had a particular mechanic for each. Warranties are new territory for me. $200 deductible I believe so it sounds to be more like an insurance policy

Appreciate any and all insight - Thanks!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Any warranty is an insurance policy - the only difference is who pays for it. And the one you mentioned sounds high.

I'm a fan of extended warranties for expensive-to-fix cars. But only the ones you buy on the open market (not through a dealer) and only the ones that begin AFTER the factory warranty expires.

Check out the original post in this thread, and shop around. Let us know what you come up with!

Carlyle
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 sedan

I've got a used Infiniti with a warranty the dealer was pushing,with GWC.When I got home and looked on Internet,I went into shock reading the reviews.Seems I am stuck with it and probably will not ever try to use it.Considering things seem to go from bad to worse for their clients.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Ugh. That sucks. I'd say, 'buyer beware." Don;t ever pay for something you're not 100% comfortable with.

If you'll give us some more info on the policy and the coverage, maybe we can help out.

MartinJansen
Car: 2015 Nissan Pathfiner Platinum
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2006 Infiniti G35x

Does any dealer besides Jim Bone Santa Rosa Nissan push these Extended Warranties as aggressively to out-of-market customers? I just picked up a 2015 Pathfinder Platinum w/35k miles near Philly (Pretty sweet ride btw) but was not happy with the finance guy's final offer ($1,800 for 7/100 "b2b" coverage - to match the CPO power train coverage, w/$50 deductible)... Anyway, having prior experience buying an Extended Warranty from an out-of-state dealer for my Subaru I'd figured I'd check the same for Nissan... But the only place that keeps coming up is Santa Rosa and the reviews (especially in re customer service/call backs) are minimal and mixed... Please advise if there are any other known and viable options out there???

Here are some Jim Bone Santa Rosa Nissan Extended Warranty quotes a/o 8/7/17... they have numerous plans though to review:

"Pre-Owned" EW offers = Cars outside of Original Warranty (Over 36K miles, or over 3 years old) AND EW coverage starts from the date of purchase of EW plan:

4yr/48k miles - $1,915 ($0 deductible) / $1,555 ($100 deductible)
5yr/60k miles - $2,115 ($0) / $1,715 ($100)
6yr/80k miles - $2,485 ($0) / $1,815 ($100)

"New Car" EW offers = Cars still under Original Warranty, and EW coverage starts from the in-service date of vehicle (So, your CPO car can still be considered "new" for the purposes of buying EW coverage if it still under the Original Warranty):

7yr/100k miles - $2,475 ($0 deductible) / $1,955 ($100 deductible)
7yr/120k miles - $2,825 ($0)
8yr/120k miles - $3,135 ($0) / $2,485 ($100)

**Catch** In a video tutorial the dealership states that Nissan Corp mandates your car must get inspected at a local Nissan dealer prior to the purchase of an Extended Warranty (if the EW is not purchased at the same time of the car itself) and that such inspection costs an average of $120.

So upon review, my dealers final offer perhaps wasn't all that bad... however... seeing that we drive a lot and tend to keep cars in excess of 100k miles I was hoping to find a longer term coverage plan.... If you know of any alternatives besides Santa Rosa to compare please so advise.

Thanks!

MartinJansen
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2006 Infiniti G35x

***The above quoted Ext. Warranty rates are for Pathfinder's only a/o the date posted***

MartinJansen
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2006 Infiniti G35x

***Also... those prices are for a "pre-owned" Pathfinder with upto 40k miles, the prices go up if it has more than 40k miles at the time of EW purchase***

tablerocker
Car: 2014 Nissan Maxima SV

This is a great topic and of a lot of interest to me. The 2014 Maxima I just bought has 50K miles on it, is a CPO car so I have about 3.5 years/50,000 miles of major powertrain coverage...so I am pretty comfortable with that. However, I do have some interest in getting the Security+Plus extended warranty as it covers a lot of things that COULD get very expensive. My luck with EWs has been hit and miss over the years, I had a '83 Camaro that I'd bought a EW for and it saved me thousands because that car was such a POS. I didn't buy on for my '99 Volvo S80 T6, and after about 70,000 miles that thing killed me with repair costs...I literally spent close to seven grand keeping that thing running...and SO wished I'd have bought the EW.
Decisions, decisions.

MartinJansen
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2006 Infiniti G35x

I'd reccomend signing up at the Jim Bone Santa Rosa Nissan website --- NissanExtendedWarranties . Com or something like that --- so you can see all the prices they offer...

After much investigation, and a follow up email they sent me offering a $200 discount on any plan over $1,000, I decided to go with them for my 2015 Pathfinder... I got the 6yr/80,000m w$100 deductible Pre-Owned SecuirtyPlus Gold Plan for $1,615 ($1,815 - $200) ... I also used the 0% financing option for 18 months ... after I submitted the info online a few days later I received a UPS package with some docs to sign Ashley also told me that since I just bought my car as a CPO I could used the dealer provided CPO checklist and did not have to get the extra inspection otherwise required.

Not easy, but bottom line is that it's insurance... it's a just in case thing and I know I feel better having the coverage and am comfortable that this was a good deal --- relative to other actual options.

MartinJansen
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2006 Infiniti G35x

So to close the circle, all went well with Jim Bone Nissan and my extended warranty (VSC) purchase... I live in NY and found the process to be straight forward and organized... Ashley was really great... Definitely saved a few hundred $'s too... I called my local dealer to ensure the VSC was in the Nissan system and all was in good order.

whizkidtn
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (AWD), Premium package

The wife and I did something similar. When we bought the Rogue new, being our first CVT transmission based car, I opted for the 10yr/120K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty from the dealer for $1.3K ($100 deductible). I don't normally buy such things but this being a newly redesigned vehicle for Nissan with their own CVT design, I felt it was good insurance. I normally drive the wheels off our cars and keep them for years and thus maintain the heck out of them.

ookami
Car: 240sx

Subscribe, Like and comment, starting something new, get with us on the journey to success, its going to be fun and I hope everyone is prepared for whats to come this year #ookami !!!!!!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/iS1YYD1IDAo[/youtube]

ookami
Car: 240sx

Subscribe, Like and comment, starting something new, get with us on the journey to success, its going to be fun and I hope everyone is prepared for whats to come this year #ookami !!!!!!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/iS1YYD1IDAo[/youtube]

Kboakye87
Car: 2011 Infiniti m37x

[quote=mrnightsky post_id=6743304 time=1495813462 user_id=260115]
For anyone who had purchased the Infiniti Elite Protection from Courtney (or remotely), how much did you have to pay for the IEPP inspection at your local dealership? What did you tell them you wanted done? Just say you want the IEPP inspection? Used car inspection?
If you happen to be in the Houston area, where did you go?

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

I told them I'd like a full multi point inspection for the Infiniti elite warranty. They didn't know what I was talking about so I had to tell them that I was getting a warranty from an out of state Infiniti dealership and in order to be covered, I would need a full inspection. I forwarded them the checklist that Courtney sent me and they used that. Cost me $148. Glad there's multiple dealerships in MA as they all had different prices.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

It's just a personal thing but I do no EWs at all, I don't even use the OEM new car ones. I have maintained my own cars for 40+ years and the only time I felt uncomfortable enough to get an EW was on my first electronically controlled car which I had some misgiving about back in '90 ish. I got heavily ripped on the warranty I picked, it overlaid the factory one its' entire duration and by the time I realized it I lost $250 in getting it rolled back and refund. But ONLY just a month before the Orange County CA bankruptcy fiasco which in turn took out the warranty insurance company. I considered the $250 loss as a good thing then as several dealerships around here got clipped by that bankruptcy to the tune of millions of dollars of unpaid for performed warranty work. After that I considered it a sign and learned the electronics as well to not need one at all.

Some day I will get burned but not yet............

Whindy
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q60 Convertible

A lot of people think that extended warranties are not worth it. I have a Q60 convertible. List of top itself has a nine separate motors. It's really cool to look at when I open and closes but the cheapest motor of the nine is $1,350.

I bought a warranty from my credit union that is backed by Mercury Insurance. It was half the price of the dealer warranty and I wasn't sure how it would work out. On my G37 Convertible one of those motors went out on the top. That motor was $5,400 and the dealer said it was on indefinite backorder. Mercury warranty people went out and found the motor sitting on a shelf at a dealership. I thought that was great service! Not only did they find the motor they were able to negotiate a lower price for it from the dealer. My car got fixed and they forgot to charge me the $100 deductible. When I mentioned this to the warranty people they said there's no deductible on your policy. I was truly blown away by their service. I can take my car anywhere. BTW, I will never again let a dealership work on my convertible top. They don't have anybody that knows how to work on them. If I have a problem with the top I take my car to a place that does nothing but convertible tops. I have a lot more confidence in their ability to fix it right the first time at a reasonable cost. Even though the warranty covers it I don't like working with people that try to rip you off.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

'They don't have anybody that knows how to work on them.'

That pretty much fits everywhere now. I have worked on my own for over 40 years and practically everything works and at 100%. Entirely possible that that motor could have simply been 'rebuilt' with no parts added, I've done it hundreds of times and on every type of motor that can fit on a car. Most need no parts or a simple one made up off the cuff and I do that all the time too. Just repaired a $150 Ford window regulator using a simple small NPT pipe fitting cut and ground to proper shape, it replaces cheap plastic ferrules the OEM (JAGUAR no less!) uses that break easy as spit and then they quit breaking entirely.

Dealerships have reduced wages and as a necessary followup the service manuals are often now a series of yes/no flowcharts and you change parts only, they forbid any thinking on the fly as it does not sell more parts. At least Nissan still seems to hold up better there, the Ford service manuals are like 1st grade d!ck and Jane readers now.

howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

So I'm considering getting an extended warranty for my new 2018 Nissan Rogue Hybrid. I only will keep the car for 5-6 years so I don't need something really long.

Here are the 2 I'm trying to decide between:

Nissan Security + Gold - 60 months / 75k miles - $935 w/ $100 deductible (at Jim Bone Nissan)

or Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance which is $40.90 per 6 months (So $409 for 5 years) w/ a $250 deductible.

Supposedly the Geico insurance covers every part of the car.

Any suggestions?

AZhitman
Administrator

Typically, I like to read the entire policy before buying... Even though I wrote this article a while back, my opinion (and suggestions) have changed drastically since then.

Truth be told, your Rogue (or any newer 'economy' car for that matter) will get 100k without major repairs. Maintenance is key, but unless you're buying something cutting-edge (or high-hp, prone to abuse-related failures), it's very unlikely you'll ever need the coverage. PLUS, your powertrain warranty will still be in place.

$935 in a good-performing mutual fund is $1350+ in 5 years. Set that $935 aside (and don't forget the $100 deductible) and pay out-of-pocket if it need something. Insurance policies are simply Vegas-style wagers, and the House always wins.

Dicemoney6
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45 *sold*
2003 Infiniti M45 *Sold*
2012 Infiniti M56

AZhitman wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:51 pm
Typically, I like to read the entire policy before buying... Even though I wrote this article a while back, my opinion (and suggestions) have changed drastically since then.

Truth be told, your Rogue (or any newer 'economy' car for that matter) will get 100k without major repairs. Maintenance is key, but unless you're buying something cutting-edge (or high-hp, prone to abuse-related failures), it's very unlikely you'll ever need the coverage. PLUS, your powertrain warranty will still be in place.

$935 in a good-performing mutual fund is $1350+ in 5 years. Set that $935 aside (and don't forget the $100 deductible) and pay out-of-pocket if it need something. Insurance policies are simply Vegas-style wagers, and the House always wins.
Is there any company you recommend for extended warranty over Infiniti Elite or if that is not an option. 2012 M56s?

Return to “General Chat”