Nissan / Infiniti EXTENDED warranty information

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Meegan
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37X

Thank you AZhitman.

I just got a call from Carchex. This is what they quoted me:

Product Name: 2013 N Titanium
Coverage Term: 84 months / 100,000 miles
Deductible: $100.00
Waiting Period: 30 days & 1000 miles
Expiration Date: 6/26/2022
or Expiration Odometer: miles
PRICING SUMMARY
Retail Price: $2,419.00
Sales Tax: $220.30
Your Service Plan Price $2,539.30
Monthly Payments As Low As: $141.08

Everyday Low Price: $2,977.00
1st Time Buyer Pricing: $2,539.30

The plus side of my conversation with Carchex is that he totally EXPLAINED the warranty benefits and explained that my 6yr/100k warranty with the M37x does not cover quite a few items, whereas the extended warranty will. The lights are on and now I'm home!

Right now I believe I am better with the Infiniti Elite Protection plan, as it is 8yr/120k, no deductible and $2,329. I'm hoping I hear from Courtney at eliteprotectionplan.com in AZ. I will call her Monday to see if she can beat my dealerships offer.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Either way, you're on the right road! :)

silberma
Car: 2015 70QL

Personally I would not buy an extended warranty for an Infinity. The car is very reliable and repair costs are reasonable. On the other hand if you bought a BMW or Mercedes that are not as reliable and repair costs are astronomical that would be a different story. Many people that drive BMW and Mercedes recognize this fact and choose to lease their cars.

mchan1
Car: 2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

Hi.

I'm new on the forum.

My past experience with Nissan's extended warranty:

Back then in 2005, bought used 2005 Altima S with 20001 miles on it with remaining 3yr/36000miles coverage.
What's the difference between used vs CPO (certified preowned)?
Nissan finance manager said "The warranty!"
So I bought an extended comprehensive warranty to make it the Full 3yr/36000miles coverage.
I knew I did the right thing as I inspected the car and suspected that it may had issues as it was originally bought from auction from... a rental car company which I found out later was Enterprise as it had the company's business card and information Still in the glove compartment!

In 1 of the first 3 years of ownership, repairs ~$>2500, most of which was covered by the warranty with a small $100 deductible each time. THAT warranty paid for itself as the warranty price I paid ~<$2000.
The mechanic informed me, before making the repairs, that the car was previously in an accident and showed me the rear which was damaged but pulled back to working order and the rubber seal around the rear window was badly repaired as well as the driver's side rear panel by the gas cap... things which I've suspected when and after I bought the "used" car.

Near the end of the 3rd year, I bought Another extended warranty for another 3yr/36000miles extended coverage ~<$2000. Thank goodness I did because during the next 3 years after that, the car had repair issues totaling ~>$2500 as well. The 2d warranty paid for itself AGAIN :)

That's up to year 7 for the covered warranty work.
In years 8-10+, wear and tear items drove up the cost such as new brake sets and tires for all 4 tires as well as a new a/c pump unit.
The catalytic converter was also breaking down but found out that it was covered under Nissan's 10 yr warranty under the CA emissions standard so got that replaced under warranty! Otherwise, the Nissan dealership said that it would've cost !>$3,000!!
My 2005 Altima S was a rust bucket and it was slowly dying.
It could've lasted another few years, provided that I wanted to pay for an entirely suspension/shock system as it needed it, considering the age and rust damage underneath.
It was time to trade it in for a newer car.

Now I drive a newer 2014 Altima 2.5 SL showroom model which had 89 miles, bought at a relatively decent price.
I also bought Nissan's extended warranty which cost ~<$2000 which extended the "bumper to bumper" basic warranty to a "comprehensive" warranty to 7 yrs/82,000 miles as I intend to keep This car for 10+yrs as well ;)

I knew how the old Altima aged and how the components may fail as cars are mechanical and metalized components subject to wear and tear and other mechanical breakdowns.
Did I mention that I drove almost full crosscountry in the US.... during the winter time? That old car got me back home safely and that's how it should be!
I don't abuse my car but treat them well... I take care of it and it takes care of me!

Now I have a luxurious 2.5 SL trim of a car, compared to the old 2.5 S trim, to enjoy for the next 10+yrs!
For me, I paid a little more for my safety and peace of mind ;)

itpromike

So I just got a brand new Q50 - I was going to go used but I really just wanted a new car and the dealership was having a fire sale of sorts to make room for the new models their expecting in the next month or so (got it for almost 10K off msrp and 7k off invoice). Anyhow, I didn't get the warranty or the maintenance plan but I have been questioning that decision... then lo and behold I stumbled upon this thread. Then I kept reading other threads and forums on this topic and there seems to be a mixed bag of opinions (this is the internet, what else is new? lol); so I wanted to get the take of folks on this particular thread.

Now from my understanding an extended warranty from the dealer covers the same things as the manufacturers warranty but just for a longer period of time, however the dealer one runs concurrently so I'd be double paying for a warranty - correct?

Are there any exceptions to this? What I mean is are some infiniti dealers warranties different or are they by and large the same in that you'd be paying for double coverage if you get the warranty and they cover the same things as manufacturers warranty?

Also what do you guys think about the maintenance plans to cover oil changes as well as the 5k 15k 30k and 60k checkups etc...?

I just don't want to spend money I don't have to - and that goes both ways; I don't want to pay for work on the car if I could have avoided it with a warranty OR I don't want to pay for a warranty if it's pointless.

Any guidance or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

C2T2_Emmons
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37 Journey sedan

I just got a quote from CarChex along with a sample coverage agreement.

Unlike what was posted earlier in this thread, CarChex states in their agreement under the Provisions that "This AGREEMENT is not an insurance policy."

I also noted that it seems like a significant burden on the buyer of the service contract to "prove" that they did all the required maintenance, oil changes, etc. or CarChex will not cover the repairs.

Anyone have experience actually filing a claim and having it covered by CarChex?

Thanks!

Chris

Adverse Effects
Car: 1987 Nissan Navara 2WD 2.4L Z24
Base Standard Cab Pickup 2-Door styleside
5 speed manual

C2T2_Emmons wrote:I also noted that it seems like a significant burden on the buyer of the service contract to "prove" that they did all the required maintenance, oil changes, etc. or CarChex will not cover the repairs.
Chris
and even then after you have proven all of that they will just find a diffrent reason not to cover you on the problems

C2T2_Emmons
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37 Journey sedan

A co-worker made a pretty good suggestion to me this morning. I'm going to take the amount I would be willing to finance a service contract for - about $100 a month - and for the next 2-years I am going to auto-transfer it from the checking into a savings account on payday. That $2,400 will then become my emergency car fund. If I never need a major repair - I got a nice chunk of change for something fun!

Best,

Chris

:mike

janus287

Agree with post above. Just self-insure.

First, I won't knock anyone who wants an extended warranty (lots of people like them for "peace of mind"), but I will say that based purely on financial expectations, you will come out well ahead over your lifetime if you never buy extended warranties and you just take the premium and set it aside to pay for repairs. Extended warranties are just a very expensive and inconvenient way of "prepaying" for possible repairs.

Longer reasoning is as follows:
  • For any form of insurance, the pricing is as follows: Premium = Expected Claims + expenses + commission + risk margin + profit margin. That means your premium is less than your expected claims.
  • This doesn't mean you should never buy insurance. According to financial experts, it makes sense to buy insurance for catastophic events that are low probability. These are events where the possible claim is 100's or 1000's times the premium. For these types of things, if makes sense to buy insurance even if expected claim is smaller than premium, because you get the benefit of pooling of risks for catastrophic claims would change you life. You could not possibly "self insure" these things. E.g. buy life insurance, fire insurance, disability.
  • but for events that are neither catastrophic nor unlikely, it makes no sense to buy insurance for this, as even in the worst case, you claim might be only 4 or 5 times your premium (and in the most likely case, your claim will be much less than your premium). For things like this, you would rather be the insurer than the customer. So just self insure and don't buy coverage. Sure for the odd policy, you would have been better off buying the warranty. But over your lifetime, if you never buy extended warranties, then you will come out way ahead.
Extended warranties are sold on promise of "peace of mind". But what you are really doing is prepaying for repairs but with added margin for commissions, expenses, and insurer's profit margin, plus with possible hassle of getting repairs approved under warranty (difficulty depends on which company you go with).

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

The cost of Extended Warranties aren't worth the money 85% of the times when it comes to Japanese cars, within the first 5 years or 100k miles of ownership.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I think to some extent it depends on the car. The extended warranty on my first Q paid for 3 transmissions, a fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, an ignition switch, and a ton of other stuff. On the wife's G they made some of that money back. If I were buying a Maxima or Q40, I'd probably take my chances. With a car like a Q50 that appears to be very glitchy, I'd be more likely to spend the cash.

mrnightsky
Car: 2013 M37x

I see that the original post was made all the way back in 2005 so that's been over 10 years ago.

Do you guys still think that it's better to get a 3rd party warranty instead of getting the Elite Platinum Protection from Infiniti?

I recently purchased a 2013 M37x with approximately 15k miles on the car and got a quote from Courtney and thought that the pricing she gave me was kind of high.
Mine is not a CPO and was purchased from a Hyundai dealership so I'll have to pay for the preowned inspection prior to getting the EPP from Infiniti that adds to the cost.

Thoughts??

$0 Ded
36mo/48k=$​8​00
48mo/48k=$​9​60
48mo/60k=$​12​00
60mo/60k=$1​3​00
60mo/70k=$1​8​60
72mo/82k=$2​5​30
84mo/100k=$​31​90
96mo/100k=$3​9​00

$100 Ded
36mo/48k=$​7​50
48mo/48k=$​9​00
48mo/60k=$​10​70
60mo/60k=$​12​10
60mo/70k=$1​5​60
72mo/82k=$​21​10
84mo/100k=$2​5​60
96mo/100k=$​31​20

seldomseen

Go with the Infiniti/Nissan product. 3rd Party Extended Service Contracts are really "hit or miss". In addition, ask for a copy of the service contract to understand what you're paying for and what you can expect in terms of repairs. Importantly, be prepared to have basic extended service repairs denied for absurd reasons. :yesnod

S13_G35
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx LE 5MT
2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT

I'm in the same boat I just purchased a 2004 Infiniti g35 sedan with 87k miles sold as is no warranty. I'm trying to find a trust worthy 3rd party extended warranty. Or maybe I can get one through Infiniti even tho I bought it from a Chevy dealer

Altim8M37
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 RWD

I went with Carchex for my '12 M37. It had 26k miles at time of purchase and was NOT cpo.

My father has a Venza that had a computer issue that was under warranty just before I bought my car. It was a relatively minor fix but would have cost him $2,600 out of pocket should it have not been under warranty. That was a Toyota that was 2 years newer than my car. Can't imagine how much it would be to replace the touchscreen in my M....

With the amount of electronics in the higher end cars, it made sense to me to protect my investment, especially when I could pay for it interest free for 2 years. One claim will probably pay for itself.

Altim8M37
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 RWD

For the record, Carchex is A+ with the BBB and has very few complaints. You can cancel at anytime and get a prorated refund. I did massive amounts of homework on them. So if you are wanting an EW, I'd recommend them, if only for their transparency and customer service. They are very much up front and ensure (at least for me) that I reviewed every fine detail before agreeing. Also, I did not have to submit to an inspection. Just have to clear 30 days and 1,000 miles before filing a claim.

One thing that I did notice between them and some other companies is that you pay a single deductible per visit, not per issue. Others I saw charged a deductible per issue to be fixed, even if they were addressed in a single visit to the dealer/shop. With Carchex, it's one payment deductible to cover all problems that are fixed.

retho78
Car: 2009 Infiniti M35 RWD

I have carchex warranty for my qx56 and so far they have been great. The qx56 did have some minor repairs for which they covered and after I paid $100 deductible.

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit

Another satisfied customer of Infiniti Elite and Courtney of Scottsdale of Arizona. Just purchased the 36mo/36k/$0 deductible from her for my 2012 M56S with 33,5xx miles.

mrnightsky

Would you mind telling me what kind of prices she quoted you?
Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance!

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

I tell you she was a whopping 55% below what my local dealer quoted me. Further, my dealer did not want to offer a $0 deductible; whereas Courtney did.

I would highly recommend contacting her for a quote; you will be glad you did. :dblthumb:

mrnightsky

SmoovC wrote:I tell you she was a whopping 55% below what my local dealer quoted me. Further, my dealer did not want to offer a $0 deductible; whereas Courtney did.

I would highly recommend contacting her for a quote; you will be glad you did. :dblthumb:
I did get a quote from her. I posted it a few posts above you.
I just wanted to see if the prices she gave me are comparable to yours because I thought her quote seemed high.
Mine is 2013 M37x (with tech package if that matters) with only 15500 miles when I asked for the quote (a little over 16k miles now).

SmoovC

Yes, I see the pricing you posted. Sorry, I skimmed by it earlier. To be honest, I am not sure why you are shopping for an extended warranty when you are well within the Factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Let's just say that your in service date is 1/1/2104; then you have Factory bumper to bumper until 1/1/2018; or 60k miles. The Elite warranty starts the day you purchase it; and the mileage allowance will be added to what is currently on your odometer. So in reality at this point, you will be spending $800 for what is essentially the Factory warranty coverage. Of course, that is assuming you drive 15k miles a year. Best case is that you don't, and you will garner an extra year on a 36/48 extended warranty.

It made more sense to me to wait until just prior to expiration of the Factory bumper to bumper, and then buy the warranty. This effectively made my coverage extend past the Factory expiration of 4/8/2016 to a date of 1/26/2019; and mileage of 69,xxxk. I suppose I could have waited a month or two and got that extra couple month's coverage, but it was on my mind now.

S13_G35
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx LE 5MT
2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT

Then its settled on payday i'll go with Carchex

Wcaban1206
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

Hey Guys, I just bought a 2006 M45 with 116,XXX miles on it. Does anyone know if Infiniti or a 3rd party would offer an warranty / extended service contract on this bad boy? :ohno:

seldomseen

Wcaban1206 wrote:Hey Guys, I just bought a 2006 M45 with 116,XXX miles on it. Does anyone know if Infiniti or a 3rd party would offer an warranty / extended service contract on this bad boy? :ohno:
Save your money, as no reputable company will warranty a 10 year old car with nearly 120k miles. The 2006 M45 is a fairly reliable vehicle, just stay on top of the common issues that affects the M45 and you should be in good shape. :yesnod

MIKE80
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35X

My 2008 M35X that I just bought has 84,000 miles. I bought Allstate Premier Care (3/ 36,000) ($100 deductible per visit). Also, their tire and wheel including cosmetic damage repairs(5/60,000) (0 deductible/ $800 paid lifetime for cosmetics).

I paid $3000 for both. I figure I can recoup $800 getting the wheels refinished at some point. Also, having an issue with the Navigation which could end up being pricey. Premier Care is an exclusion type, so if it's not on the exclusion list, it's covered.

seldomseen

Failing electronics will likely be a problem on your late model M, if you keep your M for 3+ years. Issues such as failing ballasts, navigation, key ignition system, power door locks, you easily break even on the cost you paid. And if your M has the oil consumption problem, and destroys your engine -- you'll definitely be happy if your extended warranty covers a replacement! :yesnod

Bocatrip

I had used the Infiniti Elite 3 times on both my 04 G35 Coupe and 06 G35 sedan with great luck. Both my cars had low mileage at the time of purchasing the warranties so they were reasonable. Currently I have no warranty on my 06 G35 Sedan (04 G35 Coupe sold). I am looking to purchase a new 2017 QX50 and definitely be purchasing the Infiniti Elite before the factory 4YR 40,000 mile bumper to bumper runs out.

DaytonDennis
Car: 2016 Rogue SV

Interesting thread as I would consider an EW at the end of my 36 months. The finance guy at the dealer was really pushing their EW. for the 10yr/100k he first offered it at "39" I said 39 dollars? Sure! No, of course not, but I said no thanks. Five minutes later he offered it again for $2900. No thanks. Five minutes later he said "what about $1900? You know your warranty is only good for 3yr/36k" I replied, gosh, you sure don't seem to have much faith in the vehicle your selling me. I thought $1900 wasn't outrageous for 10yr, but I'd never priced an EW before. Besides, I figure anything major will hopefully go wrong in the first 3yrs if it is to fail. After my original warranty is ending, I'll probably price an extended warranty and hopefully get a decent rate. The kicker for me is that I just don't drive that much as my last vehicle I had for 8 years and only 28k mileage. Never had been in the shop except for the courtesy oil changes the first 2 years. Plus the Nitro came with a lifetime engine/drive train warranty.

manish07mannix
Car: Ford ranger

I totally agree with good warranty not just cars even if you get warranty on parts you buy...
I recently purchased "
2003 Infiniti Q45
Strut with tie rods-
Front, Base, LH " from agradepart.comand got a warranty of 60 days i purchased a used as there is no more new available, am also looking for left Door new one, please suggest, i spoke to some of the junkyardparts.us but they could not find a new one,i got few pictures from them looks pretty okay, i will wait for a week if not buy it from them.

Best,
Webdeveloper
Manish Sharma
digicrew.in

Return to “General Chat”