Nissan Connect System Randomly Reboots on New 2018 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

Just a heads up, I dropped my Rogue off for an oil change yesterday and mentioned the rebooting again. (3rd time I've had the dealership look at it) Got a call from them yesterday afternoon saying they had a case open with Nissan and were told to replace the head unit. I'll see what the notes say when I actually get the pick up the car. On a side note they gave me a brand new Nissan Kick to drive (85 miles on it). The acceleration is much better than my Rogue. :)

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

howie411 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 am
Just a heads up, I dropped my Rogue off for an oil change yesterday and mentioned the rebooting again. (3rd time I've had the dealership look at it) Got a call from them yesterday afternoon saying they had a case open with Nissan and were told to replace the head unit. I'll see what the notes say when I actually get the pick up the car. On a side note they gave me a brand new Nissan Kick to drive (85 miles on it). The acceleration is much better than my Rogue. :)
At this rate, if it happens again, you are better off filing for lemon law, since its the 3rd time that they are replacing the head unit.

Ah, the Kicks as your loaner. Living with that car is one heck of a nightmare for me. I am a big guy, and that car ain't easy to drive. The steering wheel touches my knees (its a flat-bottom) and to adjust the seat takes time, but then when I have to lower the seat, I have to move the seat front. Its very irritating. I have my seat all the down and all the back in both the Rogue and the MDX and not a single darn issue. And that Kicks is super slow (I can totally achieve the same MPGs in the Rogue), even the acceleration. Our Kicks is nothing but problems, but then it was Made in Mexico and it was the first model year, and sat in the dealer lot from July 2018 to December 2018.

howie411

datechboss101 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:21 pm
howie411 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 am
At this rate, if it happens again, you are better off filing for lemon law, since its the 3rd time that they are replacing the head unit.

Ah, the Kicks as your loaner. Living with that car is one heck of a nightmare for me. I am a big guy, and that car ain't easy to drive. The steering wheel touches my knees (its a flat-bottom) and to adjust the seat takes time, but then when I have to lower the seat, I have to move the seat front. Its very irritating. I have my seat all the down and all the back in both the Rogue and the MDX and not a single darn issue. And that Kicks is super slow (I can totally achieve the same MPGs in the Rogue), even the acceleration. Our Kicks is nothing but problems, but then it was Made in Mexico and it was the first model year, and sat in the dealer lot from July 2018 to December 2018.
Ha, oddly enough I enjoyed the few days with the Kicks, even though it was the base model. Also the NAV system screen was much nicer then my Rogue (though didn't support Android Auto).

Anyways got my Rogue back today. Here is what the notes said:

Customer States Audio Unit Intermittently Reboots.
Intermittently The Volume will Lock up.

Found Code #B1309-11 Found Belletin #17-111C
No Update Available
Replace Nav/Audio Unit for Correction

Part # 25915-8FMOC - Control Assy

On a side note since its a new head unit I think I got 3 free months of Sirius again. Will see how it goes.

howie411

well so much for a new head unit. Got in my Rogue at lunch today and the system rebooted about 10 times and wiped out all the pre-sets I did yesterday. Might be time to give Nissan Corporate a call.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

howie411 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:51 am
well so much for a new head unit. Got in my Rogue at lunch today and the system rebooted about 10 times and wiped out all the pre-sets I did yesterday. Might be time to give Nissan Corporate a call.
Corporate Nissan is a slap on the face. You are better off getting a lemon law lawyer at this point. Nissan won't care about its owners, as its really shown. I'd be surprised if they actually listened to their customers. Plus, your Rogue is still under the 3 years/36k mile warranty (unless you are over 36k miles).

And I am starting to think that this more than a head unit issue, as its more likely a complicated electrical issue too.

howie411

So just as an update I met with a rep directly from Nissan the other day. While the issue of course didn't happen when he was in the car with me on a test drive, he seemed to think the issue was due to either my "after market USB cable, or my aftermarket charger which is plugged into the armrest power outlet. Both are made by very reputable brands, so I highly doubt that is the issue, but I agreed to go for a week or two with neither plugged into to see if it happens again.

howie411

Ok latest update. Rogue back in the shop and this time they are replacing the Telematics System. Not sure what that has to do with anything but will see. This is now the 4th time its been in the shop.

CBF87

aloyr wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:57 am
I am posting this because I was able to fix the repeated radio reboots in the 2018 Nissan Rogue I drive, and this thread is the closest thing I've found to my issue on the web. Maybe this will help the next guy...
While inconvenient, this beats arguing with Nissan and having your HU replaced, as there is most likely nothing wrong with it.

Ah, before I forget: to those that said that the map is unrelated to the rest of the unit: this is incorrect. Everything is connected inside the car, and a corrupt map data file can indeed cause the whole system to panic and to end up rebooting in an attempt to fix itself.

I hope this helps the next guy.

-A
Book Marking This!!! Great Post!!!

I'll bet this was my problem all along. As I pointed out on my Rogue, as long as I stayed WEST of a specific area, my radio worked fine. The minute I went EAST of a specific point on my long commute, the radio went crazy.

jmothersbaugh
Car: Nissan Rogue Hybrid

I recently wanted to update my map software as I noted that it had an update available. I live in South Carolina and so I downloaded the North Carolina/South Carolina updated map. As soon as this was installed, my system would reboot every 50 seconds or so losing any settings and time that was set up in the system. After searching the internet I found this forum and saw that someone had the same problem as I did after downloading the same exact NC/SC map. I was going to take the car to the dealer to reset the system to see if it could be made to work again but found the website where you could actually download the map to a USB drive and install it yourself. Here is the link for Windows machines: https://apps.nissan.navshop.com/en_gb/pctoolwin.html

Instead of downloading each individual map, there is an option at the end which will allow you to download the entire map at once. You need about a 32 GB memory stick as the download is about 19 gb of info. I let it download overnight and plugged it into the car the next day. I uploaded the large file and everything went back to working fine. No more rebooting!!

For some info, you need to put the memory stick into the Nissan first to have some type of initialization take place. Then you put it into your Windows machine and it will download the info to the memory stick.

Good Luck! This worked for me and hopefully it will solve your problems as well. The maps ended up being the culprit in messing the whole system up.

Jeff

howie411

aloyr wrote:
I am posting this because I was able to fix the repeated radio reboots in the 2018 Nissan Rogue I drive, and this thread is the closest thing I've found to my issue on the web. Maybe this will help the next guy...

The issue in my Rogue had to do with the radio rebooting frequently. Sometimes it wouldnt happen until I started driving, sometimes it would happen right after I turned the car on.

My case was the same as the situation described by @teeshot. I had done an update to the NC/SC map, and after that the reboots begun. It seems that TomTom messed up the stand-alone map update file for at least the NC/SC region. I'm not sure about the other regions.

There is no way to undo that update from the car. There is no point downloading all other updates either... yeah, I tried that too.

The way to fix this is as follows:
- grab a 16GB usb stick or bigger (some 16GB sticks won't work because they are actually 14.2GB and the update you will need is 14.7GB, so I used a 32GB stick)
- plug the usb stick into your Rogue's USB port (the same one used for carplay / android auto), and go to information -> system updates -> map updates -> copy date to usb (or something like that, I'm doing this from memory)
- remove the stick from the Rogue when told to do so and go to your computer
- download Nissan's map update tool for PC or Mac, install it, and launch it
- plug the usb stick into your computer
- navigate to the map update tab that will contain the single consolidated download package (as opposed to the per-region downloads), and download that - this will take you a while
- once that is done, eject the stick from your computer and go to your car
- start the car, do not drive (as that will trigger the reboot issue), and make sure that the radio will not start the reboot cycle while parked. if it does, try to hold down the power button until it shuts down, and restart the car, making sure that the radio won't auto-reboot.
- once the radio is stable while parked, plug in the usb stick and go to the same place in the settings: info -> system updates -> map updates -> install map data from usb stick. this will take a while as well. do not turn your car off nor drive it while this is going on.
- once the process is done, restart your car for good measure, and hopefully your problem will be fixed like mine was.

While inconvenient, this beats arguing with Nissan and having your HU replaced, as there is most likely nothing wrong with it.

Ah, before I forget: to those that said that the map is unrelated to the rest of the unit: this is incorrect. Everything is connected inside the car, and a corrupt map data file can indeed cause the whole system to panic and to end up rebooting in an attempt to fix itself.

-A

Do you know what map version it is? Because according my my Rogue its using 2017.04 which Nissan swears is the latest version even though it shows 2018.6 available, but that won't install.

flstc28690
Car: 2019 Rogue SV AWD

aloyr wrote:

The issue in my Rogue had to do with the radio rebooting frequently. Sometimes it wouldnt happen until I started driving, sometimes it would happen right after I turned the car on.

My case was the same as the situation described by @teeshot. I had done an update to the NC/SC map, and after that the reboots begun. It seems that TomTom messed up the stand-alone map update file for at least the NC/SC region. I'm not sure about the other regions.

There is no way to undo that update from the car. There is no point downloading all other updates either... yeah, I tried that too.

The way to fix this is as follows:
- grab a 16GB usb stick or bigger (some 16GB sticks won't work because they are actually 14.2GB and the update you will need is 14.7GB, so I used a 32GB stick)
- plug the usb stick into your Rogue's USB port (the same one used for carplay / android auto), and go to information -> system updates -> map updates -> copy date to usb (or something like that, I'm doing this from memory)
- remove the stick from the Rogue when told to do so and go to your computer
- download Nissan's map update tool for PC or Mac, install it, and launch it
- plug the usb stick into your computer
- navigate to the map update tab that will contain the single consolidated download package (as opposed to the per-region downloads), and download that - this will take you a while
- once that is done, eject the stick from your computer and go to your car
- start the car, do not drive (as that will trigger the reboot issue), and make sure that the radio will not start the reboot cycle while parked. if it does, try to hold down the power button until it shuts down, and restart the car, making sure that the radio won't auto-reboot.
- once the radio is stable while parked, plug in the usb stick and go to the same place in the settings: info -> system updates -> map updates -> install map data from usb stick. this will take a while as well. do not turn your car off nor drive it while this is going on.
- once the process is done, restart your car for good measure, and hopefully your problem will be fixed like mine was.

-A
Thanks for posting this!
Me and my wife just purchased a new 2019 Rogue Friday and after updating the NC/SC map, an endless reboot started. Long story short, this suggestion fixed our issue.

Carlsbad
Car: Infiniti QX4 2003

Having this problem too in my 2018 Rogue SL Factory Certified. We'll see what the dealer says monday.

desilimit
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue

Thanks a lot for above detailed solution aloyr. Followed below steps and it fixed the constant reboot issue on my Nissan Rogue
1. Saved (copied) map data from my car into a USB pen drive
2. Installed the Nissan Map Update tool on my PC, plugged in the pen drive, and updated the Map (this 14 GB update took more than half hour)
3. Plugged the pen drive back into the car, and selected the option to "Update map from USB drive". Took about 15 minutes, and issue is Fixed :dblthumb: !!

ncowner

I also have a 2018 Rogue SV and it has been happening ever since I bought the car brand new for the past 2.5 years. It just reboots every once in a while for a couple of minutes, but it does not happen very often so I have just been dealing with it.
Another weird thing is that sometimes when I have my phone connected over bluetooth, the audio stops playing in the car, but if I look at my phone it is still going...
Another thing is that sometimes the touch screen stops working so I can't press anything. Usually after I turn the car off for 10 minutes and start it back up, it works.
When it was still in warranty I asked the dealer about it, they said they have heard about issues with the headunit before and said I can bring it in for diagnostic, but I didn't bother, because it is impossible to schedule an appointment with them. For some reason they refuse to do any work on Saturdays even though they are open and they refuse to do any work after 4pm even though they are open until 8pm.
I am not gonna miss work and lose money just to go to the dealer and tell me that there is nothing wrong with it.
I have had so many problems with this car and with the dealer that I am never buying Nissan again after my lease is up in March.

EDIT: Oh another thing is that the navigation doesn't even provide correct directions. I tried using it a few times and sometimes it would just keep having me drive in a circle.... So ever since then I have just been using my iPhone for directions. Nissan is a POS car and their customer service is terrible.

DaRogue1
Car: ???

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=289765

I was so frustrated with the whole rebooting thing. It was so random and irritating. I did exactly what ilyor suggested on updating /resetting the map. like he suggested, I had updated my NC/SC map via internet. Thank you. So far it seems to have solved the issue. I am so very happy to have found this site.

donrid
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL

Aloyr, thank you for taking the time to share this valuable information. You have saved me (and I'm sure many others) hours of frustration and trips to the dealer. Thanks!!!!

firebirdude
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum Blue/Black

Thank you for the walkthrough. We just purchased a 2021 Rogue Platinum and the Connect software is garbage. I have to admit I've seen worse (Subaru), but it's a brand new car and the head unit locks up at least once a week. If it gets out of control or starts actually rebooting by itself, I'll give this a try.

howie411

So my Rogue was doing great for the last 2 years after they replaced the NAV system. Then last week I updated the Maps to the latest 2020 maps. The first ride after the new maps installed the system flipped out and rebooted 3-4 times, then fully wiped out all my settings, and customization and as well as stations I set. Though maybe it was a 1 time deal, but today the system randomly rebooted while driving somewhere.

I just don't understand how their maps can totally break the system......

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

howie411 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:56 pm
That's not new, corrupt GPS data can definitely send units off in the weeds. We've even heard of instances where units reboot only at a certain geographic location. There are about seven different interconnected modules inside a Bosch Navi, and a malfunction in pretty much any of them can cause reboots. I don't recall if your '18 has an SD card or WiFi downloadable, but one thing you can try in either case is disconnecting the battery to force the unit to come up cold and re-read the data from scratch. If it's a WiFi type, try reloading the whole local map. If it's an SD, turn it back in as defective and try a different one. The last thing to try would be a factory data wipe from the service menu.

howie411

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:34 pm
howie411 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:56 pm
That's not new, corrupt GPS data can definitely send units off in the weeds. We've even heard of instances where units reboot only at a certain geographic location. There are about seven different interconnected modules inside a Bosch Navi, and a malfunction in pretty much any of them can cause reboots. I don't recall if your '18 has an SD card or WiFi downloadable, but one thing you can try in either case is disconnecting the battery to force the unit to come up cold and re-read the data from scratch. If it's a WiFi type, try reloading the whole local map. If it's an SD, turn it back in as defective and try a different one. The last thing to try would be a factory data wipe from the service menu.
I started this thread in 2018, so I was basically just saying it was resolved for the longest time then it came back. The 2018 model uses downloadable maps. Regardless its pretty ridiculous their system crashes due to a map update

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

howie411 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:07 am
Regardless its pretty ridiculous their system crashes due to a map update
Nissan is hardly the only brand with radios that misbehave from GPS or other forms of data corruption. It's an industry-wide problem caused by too much different firmware and hardware integrated into the same box. The more features people ask for, the worse it's likely to get.

howie411

Ok I swear, Nissan Infotainment center is a POS. Just replaced last week, for some reason came preloaded with 2018 maps. Did a full map reset to the 2020.10 this morning. Sure enough when I got into my Rogue after turning it off / back on after the update, the system rebooted 10 times and wiped all my settings.

Return to “Rogue Forum”