NISMO Edition Leaf Race Car?

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

"Purpose-Built Prototype Wraps Production Nissan LEAF Components and Technology in a Dramatic Ready-To-Go-Racing Carbon Fiber Body"

Read more: http://www.nissanleafforum.com/leaf-RC.html

Actually looks pretty good :bigthumb:

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Now that is a hybrid I would drive!!!

Razi
Car: Moo

LOL
I actually saw a regular Leaf today in the parking lot.
It looks so funny I almost bursted out laughing!

It'd be cool to see that race car in action.

dre1507
Car: Some boring Lexus that's currently at home with a smashed mouth (crashed).

Awesome.

zacmil
Car: 1989 240sx
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

It actually looks pretty cool. I still wouldn't buy one unless it was stupid cheap.

Also, it bugs me when they call an EV a "zero emissions vehicle".

prominentalex
Car: 1993 240sx

That actually looks pretty cool.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

zacmil wrote:It actually looks pretty cool. I still wouldn't buy one unless it was stupid cheap.

I doubt it would be cheap. It certainly looks nice, but if you read the fine print, it's range under "racing" conditions is maybe 20 minutes. The article also neglected to mention the length of time needed to recharge.I imagine it's many hours. Autocross seems to be it's only logical application, because on a big track, it'll only be able to be driven maybe two 15-20 minute track sessions per day but only if you do the first session early enough. Doesn't sound much of bargain to me.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Ah, but all they need is a pole with a metal brush on the top and electrified mesh above the racecourse.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Encryptshun wrote:Ah, but all they need is a pole with a metal brush on the top and electrified mesh above the racecourse.

I love that idea!! :bigthumb:

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

I see many, many birds' deaths in the future of racing.

*ZZzzzzzzaaaapppppppp*

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Or life-size TCR sets. That would be awesome.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

^YES!

The last National Autoshow I went to, there were 90% hybrid or electric race cars. Is that the new fad now?

LEMHEAD16
Car: '12 Genesis Coupe
'95 QofDOOM
'56 Chevy pick up

how long would the race be? 3 laps and then a 24 hour recharge cycle.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You can fast charge a leaf in 20 minutes or so. Old paradigms are old.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

If they could rig it up for quick battery swaps during pit stops they could make it work. I've heard the battery packs are designed to work on like a 30 min quick charge. Set up a race series and limit them to 2 or 3 battery packs and you'd get some pretty good racing, plus possibly get some very useful technology/experience out it.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

That is also one of the talked-about systems to make EVs more flexible. Instead of charging your battery, just pull into a "gas" station and do a battery swap.

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

It's not a race car cause it's not built for racing. The article consisted of nothing but specs and speculation, not a single mention of any series or association this vehicle is built for. It's a nifty vehicle, but with the vehicle being built under no particular rule set (meaning it wont pass ANY scrutineering), your chances of seeing this on any grid are slim to none.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

flohtingPoint wrote:It's not a race car cause it's not built for racing. The article consisted of nothing but specs and speculation, not a single mention of any series or association this vehicle is built for. It's a nifty vehicle, but with the vehicle being built under no particular rule set (meaning it wont pass ANY scrutineering), your chances of seeing this on any grid are slim to none.
I imagine Nissan could establish their own "sanctioned" series with their own rules to generate some interest. Clearly at this point in development, neither NASA or SCCA would be interested. But I still like the bumper car overhead grid with brushes. Heck, you could convert a big empty warehouse/manufacturing plant into a smog- free indoor racing circuit.

flohtingPoint

Bubba1 wrote:
flohtingPoint wrote:It's not a race car cause it's not built for racing. The article consisted of nothing but specs and speculation, not a single mention of any series or association this vehicle is built for. It's a nifty vehicle, but with the vehicle being built under no particular rule set (meaning it wont pass ANY scrutineering), your chances of seeing this on any grid are slim to none.
I imagine Nissan could establish their own "sanctioned" series with their own rules to generate some interest. Clearly at this point in development, neither NASA or SCCA would be interested. But I still like the bumper car overhead grid with brushes. Heck, you could convert a big empty warehouse/manufacturing plant into a smog- free indoor racing circuit.

How many Nissan Works teams can you name? I'm drawing a blank right now. They may have one or two in Japanese series, but they dont have anything in America or in FIA motorsports. Nissan's focus hasn't been on racing in many years. There are folks that use Nissan cars (like in GT1), but they're privateers. If we were talking about Mazda, I'd not put it past them. Mazda has had a focus on many levels of racing and done a lot. Nissan? Not so much unfortunately.

NASA and SCCA would be interested if it could be done in an affordable fashion (not likely) and if you could have widespread usage of the car (again, not likely). Your downtime should you stuff the car or break anything would be massive due to complete lack of parts accessibility (no parts cars sitting in junkyards with the same components/body panels due to it being a non-mass produced vehicle).

Now, pardon the pun, but if this is Nissan turning a new "leaf" and the dawn of them showing interest in racing again, I'll gladly eat my words and welcome Nissan back to the field.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

They are now in F1 with support for the Red Bull cars. Maybe Nissan will jump back into real sponsorships?

flohtingPoint

audtatious wrote:They are now in F1 with support for the Red Bull cars. Maybe Nissan will jump back into real sponsorships?
Infiniti is, and that's a big "kinda." They're mainly just a name on a car more than "providing support". Red Bull use Renault motors, so it's a lateral move of trying to get more appeal for Intiniti in Europe (they were even trying to have the motors rebranded to Infiniti, same Renault motors, different badge). Basically, they're "in" F1 as much as Burger King was "in" F1 last year with a decal on the Sauber car. Infiniti isn't building better cars because of it, nor is the Red Bull team any faster/slower. Infiniti is not going to keep Vettel there, nor are they going to move Mark Webber for a better driver at the end of 2011. It's a move in the right direction, most definitely, but far from any form of real commitment aside from a few sheckles.

The sponsorships is not the thing, anyone can be a sponsor with some money. Developing Works productions and being a motor source is where we all should want Nissan to be. With serious backing, a Japanese based outfit can make a huge difference, it's been proven time and time again. Honda won several F1 championships as a motor source for McLaren. Toyota, Subaru and Mitsu won WRC Championships (plural for each outfit). Mazda has had the most successful motorsports outfit from top to bottom of the whole island with massive support from the Amateur to Le Mans range. Nissan has always been that black sheep. They'll dip their foot in something for a second and then pull back and go "Nah, I'm good," like that kid that only tries out for sports teams back in HS to say he "played basketball" and "played football". They've produced a few vehicles that have turned into winners in the lower ranks of Motorsports from time to time, but not at the hands of Nissan themselves, almost always it's been a privateer team. It'd be great to see them back in the fold, maybe even do something with the GTR they spent so much money developing and add some credibility to the vehicle/name. Heck, it'd be great to see them even caring enough to bring back their contingency money back to the SCCA :naughty: !

Sunny201

lol nice

audtatious

They did run it at Goodwood

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3kveQVqEnU[/youtube]

Return to “Leaf Forum”