NICO-nauts of Japan Unite!

Including Japan, Australia, Canada, and others.
Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

nismojunkie wrote:im trying to go to the tokyo auto salon. how many nico people will be there? the only ting i have to worry about is if my interview for MSG duty is on date of the trip.
I'm there on Saturday and Sunday. Well, maybe Sunday. Gonna depend on how much I see on Saturday.

Grant, what time and where do you want to go this weekend. Fridays are best for me as I have to work Saturday nights. Want to meet up at Daikoku?

yokota180sx
Car: 1997 Stagea RS4, r34 front

i might be able to friday let me see what going on. i might bring the bike or something.

nismojunkie

i signed up for the trip today. but nothing is for sure yet. i think its a Marine Corpe order to change stuff at the last minute, lol.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

yokota180sx wrote:i might be able to friday let me see what going on. i might bring the bike or something.
Hey, Grant. We still on for tonight? I should be leaving here right at 8pm tonight, so that should get me down there, depending on traffic, at between 8:45-9:30.

If you can, call me between 12:15-1:30 or between 6:45-7:10 Those are my breaks between classes.

Kestrel

Too bad I only found the board now. I am back in germany since October, have been in Kyuushuu for a year.The number of sports cars is amazing! And the best part is, that my local (!) German license is valid in Japan with a translation (as is vice versa true for the japanese licenses in Germany) ^^A bit strange to drive on the wrong side of the road at first, but apart from that, it was really relaxed. No cash for a good car though ^^U

hoobuttacrew

I have a couple more semesters left of school but im looking at relocating to Japan. Any websites or tips for amercans relocating to japan? What are the better areas as far as getting a decent apartment for a decent amount of money. What is needed to get a drivers license/own a vehicle there? thanks for the help.

-HBC

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

http://www.gaijinpot.com/

^some basic info

I'm going to living in the tokyo metro area (chiba prefecture) for a year starting next september, hope to meet up with some nissan nuts while im there

barcode
Car: 2003 350Z Track (totaled)

hey, im in okinawa for the next two years, i cant leave base over night yet, but in 90 days, i should get a gold card and be able to stay off base over night, i wanna see what okinawa has to offer as far as driving, prolly wont be able to get a car while im here, but you never know, some one lemme know something about oki

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If you want to keep that gold card stay away from the car and bike scene. PMO is gay as richard simmons in a tutu and commands yank em at the slightest transgression.

barcode

i guess i will take your word for it, once i get the gold card i sure dont wanna lose it, my unit seems pretty laid back, alot of people underage drink and the only time they get NJP is when the OIC finds out, but most of the NCOs dont mind, its pretty cool here

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

They give the units way too much discretion and as a result some places are chilled out others are stress central. I remember when I used to get the blotter every week and there were as many SNCOs and officers on there as NCOs and lower ranks. Funny, only the E3s and below made to NJP page of the Okimar

barcode

guess i spoke too soon lol, one of my cpls' is gettin busted down, his licence got taken, and no more gold card, he decide to keep a lance out for the whole weekend.....but there are so many nice cars it hurts me to see them, knowin i wont be able to drive for the next year or 2, bummer

tiger

Hey, I was in okinawa 2003-05 (Mar) I drove a purple/blue 180sx. I'd give anything to go back, I still have Japanese friends there, it's just that a plane ticket is so expensive!!! What do you guys fly over there for (cost) ??

barcode

free, marine corps.......but i look at the price for a round trip planed a month and a half ahead and it was about 800 bucks, pretty painful on my walet lol

tiger

that's not bad, I was looking at a 1,200 dollar round trip!! Yikes!!

tiger

Dang, I think i'd do anything if someone on Okinawa would send me a bottle of the Kuro Awamori (Zanpa Brand) It's the dark bottle.. i think it's only 700 yen. Of course, I would send money. Anyone be willing??? : )

barcode

in about a year i could, but im not legal to marine corps standard untill im 20, i thaught the big thing here was habusaki, the stuff with the snake in it, i hear one shot of that stuff will knock you on your arse.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

barcode wrote:in about a year i could, but im not legal to marine corps standard untill im 20, i thaught the big thing here was habusaki, the stuff with the snake in it, i hear one shot of that stuff will knock you on your arse.
Habusake? Been there, done that. If you do a shot while you are already drunk, consider yourself done for the night. If it's your first shot, as long as you don't go overboard, you're good.

When I did mine, I was told it would make you sick, make you hallucinate, or kill you...I'm still here.

Want to get stoopid? Try some Spiritus. 192 proof, that's right, 96% alcohol.

turbophonic
Car: 91 NIssan S13 200sx (180sx)

seeing as sum of you guys are from japan....i have a silly question.im lookin for a person in Japan that know the used performance parts market!reason is,is that here in South Africa,we dont have access to 80% of that performance parts out there for our cars(turbo's,xzorst,rims,areokits ect) and if omeone does have it here...it cost a friggen arm and a leg(about ZAR<south african rand> it is about R3500 for a T3/T4 USED TURBO..thats about is about +-63000yen).So im hoping that maybe parts liek that and others are better to get direct from Japan,where they are readily availble and good value aswell as good quality(the quality here sux!)is this about right??...or should i just make do with wat we got here?thx

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

turbophonic wrote:seeing as sum of you guys are from japan....i have a silly question.im lookin for a person in Japan that know the used performance parts market!reason is,is that here in South Africa,we dont have access to 80% of that performance parts out there for our cars(turbo's,xzorst,rims,areokits ect) and if omeone does have it here...it cost a friggen arm and a leg(about ZAR<south african rand> it is about R3500 for a T3/T4 USED TURBO..thats about is about +-63000yen).So im hoping that maybe parts liek that and others are better to get direct from Japan,where they are readily availble and good value aswell as good quality(the quality here sux!)is this about right??...or should i just make do with wat we got here?thx
The problem is not the cost of the parts, it's the shipping. I know that from the U.S., South Africa is one of the MOST expensive countries in the world to ship to. I would imagine it is just as bad from Japan, since most of the shipping costs goes to import and customs fees. I used to work for a company that sold supercharger kits, and the whole kit would fit in a box about 3'x3'x2', at about 60 lbs. I remember one we sent to South Africa (this was like 7 or 8 years ago), and it cost nearly $700 for shipping. And that was WITH a huge UPS discount.

barcode

that dont seem like to bad unless you did ur math wrong, 63000 yen is abot 620 dollars or so......dont seem bad for a turbo...or maybe i did my math wrong, but here the yen rate is usually like 119 yen per dollar, so i think thats about right

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

He said a used turbo, in which case more than 600 bucks is a little pricey.
tiger wrote:Hey, I was in okinawa 2003-05 (Mar) I drove a purple/blue 180sx. I'd give anything to go back, I still have Japanese friends there, it's just that a plane ticket is so expensive!!! What do you guys fly over there for (cost) ??
I got round trip tickets for about 700 bucks with a student discount.

barcode

woops, missed the used part, i havnt really had a chance to see what japan really has to offer, i gotta ride a bus everywhere untill i can get my licence....which is like a year

R32MS
Car: HCR32 Skyline, RPS13 180SX

I live on the island of Kyushu myself.

R32MS

If your in the military you can't get a standard Japanese license, you can only get a Government sponsored SOFA license. That process is easy, though it may have changed, I got my SOFA license (Before I was in the Marines, now I work for the Defense Department) 10 years ago.

I used to be down in Okinawa, lived there from 1998 to 2002, It used to be great but it got more and more strict as time went on. When I first got there a E1 could get a car and none of that card nonsense was going on either. No liberty buddies etc.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

D
R32MS wrote:I live on the island of Kyushu myself.
Dude, yer way down yonder there, ainchya?

So, any plans to come up Tokyo way for the Motor show in November or the TAS in January?

R32MS

Nope I like it down here, but I am coming to Tokyo in a few weeks for a little bit. We also have the Fukuoka Auto Salon. Though I would rather drive my cars then look at other peoples,

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Lemme know when you'll be here and we can get together for a while.

Are you driving up or catching the Shinkansen?

R32MS

I am flying up there.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Fa sho. Lemme know where you going to be, and when, and I might be able to meet you at the airport.

Return to “International Region”