//NICO Djs//

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Kornmanz mix make me want to unpack my vinyl and start doing mixes and post some.

Kornmanz, what does your setup look like? Do you make any original stuff?

breadbox

I forgot I need new carts. Maybe the music store is open today. *didn't go*
Modified by breadbox at 2:04 PM 3/16/2009

DJ Raijin
Car: 1992 300ZX 2+0 T Top NA

breadbox wrote:I forgot I need new carts. Maybe the music store is open today.
which carts do you use? I heard good things about Ortofon's but they I heard that they cut the vinyl. A buddy recommended Shure.

breadbox

Yeah i think the last one I bought was shure. Originally had some nice numark needles, but then I decided I wanted to try and scratch, so those died quick.

I have two numark tt200 and some gemini 2 channel. I want a larger mixer with effects and get a couple cd-js.

Also found an old copy of Reason and if I can get a cheap midi controller I was thinking I'd make some stuff.

kornmanz
Car: 89 240sx Hatch SR Powa'd

Yeah I produce my own tracks through FL studio. Nothing too great. FL isnt that great of a workstation. I'm going to get into reason and cubase soon though.

As for my dj setup right now its pretty small. I've had to sell things because of the shortage of cash and with the economy being the way it is no one is hiring. So I'm getting screwed from all ends lol.

Right now I only have cdj 200's, a behringer ddm4000 mixer, technics headphones, technics monitors, a dual gem light and fog machine. Thats about it.

I used to spin on technics m3d's but I had to sell them. I miss vinyl. Thank god my best friend is buying mk2's so we'll be able to spin vinyl again.

I'm trying to get financed some new gear but we'll see how that goes.

breadbox

how do you like the 200's I was think of getting an 800 and see how it goes but if you like the 200 I might get one just so I can mix all digitally. My friend has figured out timecoded vinyl I need to check that out.

breadbox

Listened to one mix that had good tracks and hit and miss swtiches and then the DirtyLectro mix, I like the intro track, and the bring the noise was neat.

kornmanz

the 200's are nice. I'd recommend the cdj 400's if your looking at going digital. They're pioneers newest cdj.

breadbox

I'll have to look into those.

kornmanz

Definitely worth it. I'm thinking of picking up those instead of the 1000's.

DJ Raijin

I can mix but I've been bumming friends' gear here and there so I've toyed around with everything from SL1200 mk5s to knock off CDJs. Granted my hands on time has been limited but I've got the basics down.

I've been looking into the Denon DNS1000 for when I buy my own gear. I have a ton of high quality releases to practice on but I don't have the money to invest into vinyl (yet).

breadbox

is vinyl really gonna die? I know it is still available but who wants to lug records around?

I love mixing vinyl and prefer it to digital in a lot of ways, but is vinyl even worth having anymore? I know I have a couple crates at the house, but I don't ever really seeing it leave the house.

I can't wait to get digital and get to making my own stuff again.

DJ Raijin

breadbox wrote:is vinyl really gonna die? I know it is still available but who wants to lug records around?

I love mixing vinyl and prefer it to digital in a lot of ways, but is vinyl even worth having anymore? I know I have a couple crates at the house, but I don't ever really seeing it leave the house.

I can't wait to get digital and get to making my own stuff again.
Nah. Vinyl won't die anytime soon. Analog will always be the superior format to informed ears. Plus the guys that have been doing this for years have a library of vinyl and alotta rare stuff that can't be found digitally. They're not switching anytime soon....they'll just expand into adding digital.

But for people breaking into the scene I think digital is a great format. They can practice with mp3s without dumping alotta money into wax, but mp3s should only ever be used in performance sparingly and only in a minimum of 320kbps. But have you heard some of these lossless formats? I have some old jungle tunes in bitrates of like 1200kbps and higher. The quality is superb but they don't have any of the emotion that old vinyl does.

breadbox

Somewhere I read that humans for the most part cannot really tell the difference in bit rate after a certain point. I learned a long time ago Lossless formats are to big to keep my whole collection too. I just rip 192 or better.

I have a few picture disks that I will probably end up framing as art.

One Deep Dish and one Armand Van Helden. Picture disks are great.

I just wish my area was more into Electro.

DJ Raijin

breadbox wrote:Somewhere I read that humans for the most part cannot really tell the difference in bit rate after a certain point. I learned a long time ago Lossless formats are to big to keep my whole collection too. I just rip 192 or better.
I can hear the subtle nuances between a 192 a 256 and a 320. I can also tell when the original file is digital or analog and whether lossless or lossy. I have a trained ear that's very slick like that. The average person can't tell the difference(s).

Hell, a lot of people can't tell the difference between 128 and 192. "Why would I want the larger file? They both sound the same to me" they says.

And while they all may sound the same coming out of their ipod's earbud headphones, when you're talking about a full on live sound system pushing some serious wattage at almost dangerous sound levels (or even on an excellent set of over ear headphones), the smallest of imperfections turn into giant hideous noise monsters totally destroying your party.

If you wanna spin some 192s then by all means, have fun. I have some 192s and variable bit rate files, but I keep them for playing in the car or just making playlists on my computer. I'd be really hesitant to play anything under 256 on live sound.

kornmanz

DJ Raijin wrote:
I can hear the subtle nuances between a 192 a 256 and a 320. I can also tell when the original file is digital or analog and whether lossless or lossy. I have a trained ear that's very slick like that. The average person can't tell the difference(s).

Hell, a lot of people can't tell the difference between 128 and 192. "Why would I want the larger file? They both sound the same to me" they says.

And while they all may sound the same coming out of their ipod's earbud headphones, when you're talking about a full on live sound system pushing some serious wattage at almost dangerous sound levels (or even on an excellent set of over ear headphones), the smallest of imperfections turn into giant hideous noise monsters totally destroying your party.

If you wanna spin some 192s then by all means, have fun. I have some 192s and variable bit rate files, but I keep them for playing in the car or just making playlists on my computer. I'd be really hesitant to play anything under 256 on live sound.
Couldnt agree with you more. I can tell the difference and I only choose 192 and up. And the majority of my collection is 320 mp3's and some 320 wav's. People really cant tell the difference between s***ty sounding tracks and good tracks.

In fact I read a article where it said that most teens these days actually PREFER the lower quality .mp3's. I remember it being an interesting story. I can look it up if you're interested.

And I agree with your dont play anything below 256. Hell I dont play anything under 320 on a live system.

DJ Raijin

kornmanz wrote:In fact I read a article where it said that most teens these days actually PREFER the lower quality .mp3's. I remember it being an interesting story. I can look it up if you're interested.
OH LAWRD IT'S LIKE THE EARLY DAYS OF BLACK METAL ALL OVER AGAIN!!

I'm willing to bet the reasoning behind preferring the lower quality files has to do with:1: Headphone size2: mp3 player size3: ease of availability

But speaking of headphones, which ones do you guys use? I got these for myself:http://www.audio-technica.com/....html

They're really good headphones. Quality construction and great sound but they're a bit tight and become uncomfortable after an hour or hour and a half.

kornmanz

I use some pretty decent technics headphones. My friend just ordered these though:http://www.audiolines.com/prod...69379

and I'll probably get them too.

DJ Raijin

those are pretty pricey. Mine are listed at 120 but I got'em for 54 shipped to my door. They were on sale on Amazon.com

kornmanz

Pricey yeah. But man when you get to higher levels of producing and Dj'ing you really need headphones. Headphones are the most under-looked thing a DJ buys.

Your headphones are the most important part of your setup. How can you mix good quality tracks if you cant hear the full quality?

Those headphones I showed you are the illest you can buy. Or http://reviews.cnet.com/headph....html

DJ Raijin

kornmanz wrote:Pricey yeah. But man when you get to higher levels of producing and Dj'ing you really need headphones. Headphones are the most under-looked thing a DJ buys.

Your headphones are the most important part of your setup. How can you mix good quality tracks if you cant hear the full quality?

Those headphones I showed you are the illest you can buy. Or http://reviews.cnet.com/headph....html
Open back headphones? Well I suppose they're good for monitoring with both muffs on, but I'd have to try them out personally before dropping 300 or so dollars on a pair.

I agree headphones are one of the most overlooked pieces of a DJ's set up. I got what I could currently afford which does just fine for my bedroom practicing on Traktor 3...without a midi controller....or a seperate sound card. Oh the woes of the starving artist when he can't afford his medium of choice!

I've been eyeing up some sennheisers for when I eventually get a good job. I like these:http://www.sennheiserusa.com/n...04974a ... /n...02717

breadbox

My headphones are kinda of a funny story.

My mom bought herself a keyboard and she would practice all the time. So my sister bought her headphones. I knew my mom didn't want them so when I got back home, I had brand new sony headphones. They work good ofr the house but if I ever play live I won't hear s*** in those sony headphones.

Return to “The Music Room”