NFL Stand Off

NICOclubs sports and p0ker related discussion forum
orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

Has anyone been watching this? It's crazy, NFL players have their panties in a wad because they want more money?? MORE MONEY?? They are basically wanting part of the revenue that the NFL owners earn each year. Basically there's 9 billion in revenue and the players want half. Like they aren't being payed enough already. And part of the agreement the NFL is seeking would be that the players would have to play 2 more games a year, but of course the winy players just can't do that, which I kinda agree with because they run a higher risk of injury.

Of course in all of this there seems to be one particular demographic that both the NFL and players seem to be missing....the fans! The more money the players get, the more money owners will charge the fans to come to there games. My option for the NFL to consider...Why don't we take that added revenue and give it to the demographic that matters the most, your fans! Lower the price of tickets and merchandise to help everyday people be able to afford things in this economic climate. Hell even T-shirts are $25 now a days, and jerseys are what close to $100. I'm obviously too broke to be an NFL fan. Me and my girlfriend wanted to go to a game last year but when we saw ticket prices of descent seats, said screw it and went out on the town instead...much more fun and much cheaper. I'm starting to lose interest in watching the NFL. It's become too political and money centered. Sets a bad example with all these thugs being role models for kids.

This is just my personal opinion, what do you guys think...

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

I mostly agree with you but you have to keep in mind that there's hundreds of players vs 32 owners??? I'm not that educated on this issue but if you look at it like that, then who's greedy???

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

orangeNblue wrote:Has anyone been watching this? It's crazy, NFL players have their panties in a wad because they want more money?? MORE MONEY?? They are basically wanting part of the revenue that the NFL owners earn each year. Basically there's 9 billion in revenue and the players want half. Like they aren't being payed enough already. And part of the agreement the NFL is seeking would be that the players would have to play 2 more games a year, but of course the winy players just can't do that, which I kinda agree with because they run a higher risk of injury.

Of course in all of this there seems to be one particular demographic that both the NFL and players seem to be missing....the fans! The more money the players get, the more money owners will charge the fans to come to there games. My option for the NFL to consider...Why don't we take that added revenue and give it to the demographic that matters the most, your fans! Lower the price of tickets and merchandise to help everyday people be able to afford things in this economic climate. Hell even T-shirts are $25 now a days, and jerseys are what close to $100. I'm obviously too broke to be an NFL fan. Me and my girlfriend wanted to go to a game last year but when we saw ticket prices of descent seats, said screw it and went out on the town instead...much more fun and much cheaper. I'm starting to lose interest in watching the NFL. It's become too political and money centered. Sets a bad example with all these thugs being role models for kids.

This is just my personal opinion, what do you guys think...
I'm not sure you realize that its the owners that are locking out the players, the players are not causing this stoppage. To expect both sides to agree, "hey you know what, orange&blue is right, why should we make millions, when we can make thousands and give a big chunk of it to the fans!!" is pure fantasy on your part.

Sad reality is the NFL is going to continue to charge ridiculous prices as long as there are fans willing to pay. Heck, most teams still have waiting lists. As far as the lockout is concerned, it's seems stupid that the two sides can't agree how to split up $9Billion, but on several (not all) the issues on the table for this stoppage, I agree with the players.

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Bubba1 wrote:Sad reality is the NFL is going to continue to charge ridiculous prices as long as long as there are fans willing to pay.
Yah, and factor in 16 games a season vs 160+ in baseball... it's almost impossible for them to give us good pricing on tickets I can go to a ball game with decent seats for like $15, then they get money with concessions (beers, food for the kids, etc.) I was willing to pay $3,000 on 2 tickets for the super bowl for my wife and I and guess what? You guessed it, we didnt get to go cuz the cheapest ticket I could find was $2,400, but I'm pretty sure I could've gone to the world series with my wife for $3,000... I get depressed at the thought of not having a pro season this year and I'm sure millions feel that way, imagine that... I'm Dominican and I should love baseball but the reality is that football is king in the U.S.

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

Football is very interesting to watch. It keeps your attention and captivates you into the game. That's why fans love it so much!

I guess I should've read more into what was going on instead of just listening to sports center. I agree that owners will never lower prices on anything, I was just on a tangent. As long as people will pay for it, the prices will never change. Why supply something at a lower price when the demand is still high at the much higher price. I was never saying I believed they would actually check the nico forum for advise on what to do about the strike. lol

But in all honesty I don't think I'll miss the pro season very much. My Sundays were usually a catch up day for me in working on the house, car, or actual work. As long as there's college football to watch on Thursdays and Saturdays, I won't miss pro football til late December early January.

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

orangeNblue wrote:I agree that owners will never lower prices on anything
It's just not possible, at 16 games a season and obviously only 8 home games there wouldnt be any money for anybody.

On another note, I read that UT at Austin made like 90 million dollars (I cant remember the exact figure) off the football program alone...

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Well, it's getting closer to watching lingerie football this fall. The players decided to decertify their union and filed antitrust lawsuits. All that accomplished was the owners circle the wagons and triggering the lockout.

I don;t think that was a smart move by the players as the owners were already moving on some of the big issues.

alexanderc
Car: 00 Maxima

This type of crap makes me sick. They have some balls to do this when the country is in the toilet. I don't plan to watch any football when it does come back on. Really wish i could throw a fit and put thousands of people out of work because something isn't "fair"

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

alexanderc wrote:This type of crap makes me sick. They have some balls to do this when the country is in the toilet. I don't plan to watch any football when it does come back on. Really wish i could throw a fit and put thousands of people out of work because something isn't "fair"
I totally agree!!!

I'd like to see all NFL fans boycott the whole NFL for a year. No games, no jerseys, no nfl ticket, no fantasy football, etc.. But.. the problem is that it hurts the thousand of other people who work around the NFL industry.. sure it would hurt the players and owners too.. but they are so wealthy they could handle it.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I quit supporting major pro sports over 20 years ago. Only tickets I've purchased for pro sports have been to the local single A baseball team and two LPGA golf tournaments. I regularly take the kids to high school and local small college competitions. I got fed up with pro sports when I was an amateur track athlete and associated with a lot of the spoiled brats that were pros. Then Jerry Buss bought the Lakers and scr*wed the long time Laker season ticket holders that weren't "star quality."

Like any business, the owners take the financial risk of owning the business. In my opinion, in the absence of a contract they can hire anyone they want or have no games at all. If the players don't like it, let them start their own leagues and assume the risk and expense of running the business. If the NFL goes away, I don't care. I'll be watching people who play the sport for the love of the game, not the love of the money.

bigbadberry3

F'in cry babies.

Ace 2.0
Car: z32 2+2,1987 CRX si

what i dont understand is why the players are paid that much in the first place,hell we played football all summer long on the courtyards and we damn near killed each other,but in the long run we did it to have fun,for the love of the game.

maybe the owners should just get rid of these players and hire on new ones,less bullsh!t lower cost.
(i know there is alot that goes into this that i dont understand,but to me it would work.)

my point is that the fans are the ones getting screwed the hardest,not the greedy owners or the crybaby players,but the every day joe that would like to see their team play without having to sell their first born.

screw the nfl.

Return to “The Sports Bar”