New user / 1970 510

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
jbl

What's up everyone.

New to the forum and it seems like this is the sub I'll be posting in the most.

I have a 1970 510. As it sits, it's set up for Autocross (bought that way). My intentions are to take it from that setup and get it endurance racing. I'm new to Datsun though, so I know I'll need some help along the way. I have some track experience and know my way around an engine--old V8s, a 1999 Accord (fwiw) and now this Datsun.

My biggest concerns with the car right now are:

R160 LSD 3.90. I'm wondering if this is a little bit too high for what I want. The straight it'll see the most of is 2100' long with a fast entry. Is it as simple as swapping out the ring and pinion gears?

The engine is a tuned 1.8....flat top pistons, 11.25 to 1 and some parts I still need to know more about (previous owner says there's an L9 cam currently sitting in it...not sure if that means anything though). Need to ID heads as well.

Brakes look stock. Thin rotors up front and drums out back.

4gal fuel cell will be useless to me.

We need a new floor pan in the passenger side.

Also sitting on a ton of spares including a stock 1.6 and a partially built 1.8.

Definitely in over my head for now, but that's what makes it worth it in the end.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Welcome aboard JBL! Nothing wrong with being in over your head man, we've all been there. Ok, maybe not all, but I sure have.

WD

jbl

Are there any other people taking the 510 out to endurance races? I have no idea what to expect from this car...all of it is completely foreign to me. The only other import I've raced was a heavy FWD sedan.

She's a mean sounding little thing though...beyond excited to get it on the track.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

AZHitman, Nico's owner, is a 510 owner. He doesn't race but he's restored all sorts of old Datsuns. I'm sure he as well as others will have various opinions about racing the 510. I don't have too much track experience myself, aside from drag racing. Endurance racing sounds awfully demanding on the lube and cooling systems though.

WD

jbl

WDRacing wrote:Endurance racing sounds awfully demanding on the lube and cooling systems though.

WD
Cooling is always the first thing we upgrade. ATF coolers for the ATs and this 510 already has an engine oil cooler installed...and it's stick. Venting the engine compartment and the brakes will be something we'll want to do in one way or another next. And the radiator obviously. Driver's cooling system is a beer cooler, a 500 gph bilge pump, some silicone, fittings, zip ties and tubing run up and down the seat (works surprisingly well for under fiddy bucks).

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”