New to NICO, Resurrecting a '93 Vert. (Mega Pics)

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
mechanicalmoron

Hijacker wrote:
mechanicalmoron wrote: Though I'm sure nissan would disagree, with a stock motor you don't need the clutch fan or it's shroud, at all. I have NEVER been able to get my temp to rise above the "operating" level, with or without the clutch fan (other than a short scare with a new thermostat, not sure what that was but not fan related). And it's really nice to have it out of the way so that you can actually work under the hood without 20 minutes of detatching plastic crap.
Go sit in traffic and tell me you don't need a fan. The fan is designed to pull in air when the motor has reached a certain temp, and the temp usually hits that point after you've been sitting still long enough. E-fans use the temp sensor for that and clutch fans have the heat coupler to sense ambient temp rise. I've watched Nissan motor temps rise while sitting in traffic after the fan failed in some way. Once you're moving, it's a moot point as there will be airflow regardless.
My stock electric fan works fine.

I can sit in the sun on a hundred and ten degree day and idle as long as you please...... no change in water temp reading. Once my motor warms up and the thermostat opens, that's it, never seen it get hotter, from idling to heavy sustained load on a steep hill.

Could have something to do with my low compression. But papasmurf said it wouldn't be a problem without a turbo, I took his advice, and I'm glad I did.

And if it was ever a problem it would take less time to reinstall than it took me to type this out.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

You're running a fan then. The way I read your previous post was that you had no fan at all.

mechanicalmoron

Hijacker wrote:You're running a fan then. The way I read your previous post was that you had no fan at all.
Yeah, the stock electric only. All shrouds and associated plastic junk removed, as well as the clutch fan.

But while we're being uber JDM, I heard all the cool cats take off their heat shields and then act victimized when their brake reservoir blows up..... I'm considering it, I wanna be a cool cat too.

Lord Umoja
Car: 1993 240SX 'Vert

So car is running pretty good. Everything seems to be acting right. Got some plexus for the rear window. Only problem is I lost a center cap for a wheel. Stupid techs at the tire shop over tightened it and cracked it. A new cap is minimum $50 anywhere I look online. So I'm kinda pissed. I'm debating pulling the other caps and just running like that until I buy some new wheels in a month or two. Just not sure what style wheels I want.

mechanicalmoron

Lord Umoja wrote:So car is running pretty good. Everything seems to be acting right. Got some plexus for the rear window. Only problem is I lost a center cap for a wheel. Stupid techs at the tire shop over tightened it and cracked it. A new cap is minimum $50 anywhere I look online. So I'm kinda pissed. I'm debating pulling the other caps and just running like that until I buy some new wheels in a month or two. Just not sure what style wheels I want.
......Rant, rave, demand managererial presence, and demand they buy a cap or rims or whatever they must do to make it right.

If they refuse, make sure they know you will report them to your local chamber of commerce, better business bearu, any automotive group you can, any high-brow equipment supplier they have, and anyone else who even might listen. And be prepared to follow through if they refuse.

:ohno:

Lord Umoja

So thought I'd update this seeing how the car has been parked for nearly 3 years.

The car is currently being resurrected. Last weekend I replaced the entire engine harness with a new one from Wiring Specialties. The car started and ran until one of the hardlines on the fuel pump assembly failed and flooded my garage with gasoline. I should have a replacement this weekend.

Also related, does anyone know where I can find a digital Gague sub harness so I can install my HUD and digital dash into the 'vert? I forgot to remove it from my coupe before I sold it.

Lord Umoja

Well another update is due.

We got the car running today. The fuel leak was just a loose band clamp, not a damaged fuel pump assembly as originally diagnosed.

It runs well on the road but still stumbles and dies if I let it idle. I'm thinking it may just be crappy gas so I will see after I fill up a new tank.

To celebrate Mother's Day, the whole family took a ride with the top down.

Image_

Lord Umoja

So the car runs ok but now I'm getting an intermittent AC issue. The compressor cycles at roughly 1 second on, 1 second off, repeat. The AC light on the dash flashes with the compressor. I need to change the belt because it began squealing, and I tried to do the recharge yesterday. It ran beautifully all yesterday and for about 30 min this morning. It's 82 degrees here.

Lord Umoja

Just an update. Got the dash in and just got a tiny section on the windshield for the HUD.

The AC was due to a MASSIVE vacuum leak after the PCV elbow disconnected from the valve cover. That was JB weeded back in place and the car idles beautifully, and the AC stays on and strong.

All is working perfectly now. Next step is the 3D printed Tonneau retainer for behind the rear seat.

Lord Umoja

Minor update. The car is back on the road after a major fuel pump failure. Car runs smoothly. Intermittent then total pump failure was traced to, get this, a tiny stone in the connector that was preventing the connector from fully attaching to the car wiring harness.

Next project on the list is adapting a PiperCross intake to the car.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”