New sr20det install issues

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
J.Sharer

I lost my password to my old nico club account.. It been probably 5 years since i have posted here.

I have recently acquired a redtop sr20 it was pulled from a running car that I have had a couple people vouch for. It was originally in a s14 and I converted the harness for an s13. The wiring has been quadriple checked and everything looks right according to the frsport write up. Here is my issue.

I have spark and some fuel.. but the fuel injector spray is extremely weak. It will try to start on starting fluid but will only run for a couple seconds.

The fuel injector spray looks a million times better when i pull the CAS and turn it by hand. When spraying the injectors on a piece of card board it sprays a lot of fuel, When i let them spray on cardboard with everything hooked up the fuel spray is very very small and only leave a small damp spot after 10sec of trying to start.

I'm getting full voltage at the injectors. I have even tried wiring the wire straight to the battery with no luck.

I have noticed that voltage at the battery is dropping to 8.5 volts while trying to start the motor (starter on).

All the grounds are present and I have checked for resistance and everything checks out. I have even added more grounds from the chassis to motor just to eliminate any ground issues.

I cant help but think the voltage drop while starting is the root of my problem. It seems that the injectors are not getting enough voltage to fire properly.

Does anybody know what could be causing this voltage drop..

Here is my battery setup.
Good battery it has been tested and shows 550cca and the battery cables are zero gauge beefy cables.

Any ideas.. sorry for the long post I'm trying to be thorough with my explanation of the issue.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

I'm thinking when you said "here is my battery setup" you were attempting to put a picture on here.... It didn't work. :(

J.Sharer

sorry i was just trying to be extremely thorough in explanation. We all know how awful it is when somebody gives no info about the car and asks questions on how to fix it.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Just out of curiosity, have you tried pulling fault codes?

There's a link in the FAQ at the top of this sub-forum.

J.Sharer

Yes I have. Its saying everything is good. Everything is point to my power supply. But I've tried 2 different batteries and both test fine. I'm planning on tomorrow to hook one battery up just to the starter and let the other one power the rest of the car. maybe this can tell me something..

PyR0NiAk

The voltage is guaranteed to drop when trying to turn over an engine... I really don't think this is your problem.. If it tells you anything, I'm running a mazda miata battery in my S13 so that I was able to route my intercooler piping through the battery tray and not relocate to the trunk. What type of fuel pump are you running? Where is your fuel pressure sitting at? Are you actually running an adjustable FPR, or are you still running the stock one? Have you checked for vacuum/boost leaks? Any serious leaks after the MAF and the car will fall on it's face.. (Try unplugging the MAF and see what happens... If it starts (don't expect it to idle), either your maf is shot or you have a serious leak post maf.)

J.Sharer

Maf I not on. And not related to the problem. I'm running a walbro 255lph and I have tried my back up Isis pump. Fuel pressure is at 40psi while cranking. The injector spray is extremely weak during start up but the injectors spray a lot more fuel when pulling the cas and Turing it by hand to trigger the injectors.

PyR0NiAk

What do you mean "the maf is not on"?

If you really think your voltage drop during start (although I'm sure this is just from turning the motor over) is the problem, Pull out a multimeter and start probing. See where the drop starts. I will say that almost every SR I've ever worked on has started almost immediately when turning the key over. It's very rare for an SR to turn over more than a couple seconds and not fire. Being able to start it with starting fluid is also a good sign your CAS timing is off. (It'll run until there's no more starting fluid left in the intake track.)

J.Sharer

maf is not hooked up or on the intake. i know it is not required for a basic start up. What do you mean by see where the drop starts. You can see the voltage drop at the battery. The same voltage drop is found everywhere else.

I feel like the issue is that the voltage is dropping to low for the sensors to give correct information to the ecu, or the ecu is trying to turn back off. like i said the injector spray is extremely weak. I have also noticed that the injector spray gets weaker as i try to crank it.. (fuel pressure stays at 40psi while cranking) It will start off with one good spray and then get worse and worse. Seems to be falling off with the voltage.

blkvrtswp
Car: 93 240SX Convertible
SR20DET FP 20G Turbo

PyR0NiAk is spot on about SR's jumping to life if the timing and MAF are correct. I would suggest getting the timing and MAFS/intake piping 100% correct and out of the picture and then see what happens.

If it won't run, there is more going on that just a voltage drop during cranking.

MotorheadIRL
Car: Nissan Silvia S15 with S13 Sr20det blacktop non vvt engine swap

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but was this issue ever sorted?

Currently finished swapping an S13 blacktop engine into my S15 and have the exact same problem of a very weak spray from the injectors

Really need help with this!

Thanks

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”