UPDATE...Vibration at 40 to 60mph UPDATE!!!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
iceman14n
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

the problem is that the Hubs are not the problem, they are not the things causing the vibration. I have had gone Sherlock holmes on my QX4 and cant find the root of the vibrations that come ONLY from 40-60 mph.

cpta2020
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Well I got a hold of a Used front drive shaft from an identical pathfinder that crashed, I picked it up for cheap last night and got around to install it this morning,and what do you know? it drives smooth!!!! I'm officially done with this drive-line vibration..

curtiswhite
Car: QX4

This vibration that you guys are talking about. Is it also with a wining noise??

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The front differential could be low on fluid or the fluid requires changing. It really depends on where the whining noise is coming from. Can you localize the noise further?

I'd grease both driveshafts since it's simple to do, see if that helps with the noise any.

550hrs.pwr
Car: pathfinder2010se

my pathfinder2010se was vibratin above 60km and gets nasty at 120km

took it to nissan dealer , the u joints were loose abit and needed tire balance, done

drove it to 150km like a butterfly and smooth

lazerbacon
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder XE

I have the same vibration / whining issue on mine as well. I checked all the normal stuff but it all seemed good.

I did find a problem that could be the issue. I checked the rubber mount below the transfer case that sits on the crossbeam..... totally shot. I can actually get the whole assembly to move a little because of that.

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

I hear that putting locking hubs on a Pathy with the ATX14A transfer case (the one with 'auto' mode) is a bad idea. The front driveahaft runs the secondary fluid pump and the entire case is always spinning, so running your vehicle without spinning the front shaft will cause failure of the case.

furby258598
Car: nissan navara d22

hi everyone,I have had this problem with my d22 navara and after changing the main prop bearing and front uj my truck drives like new......I did`nt bother changing the uj as I managed to get a whole used front shaft,but after replacing this I found all my shaking has gone........ :woot: :bowrofl: :rotfl

furby258598
Car: nissan navara d22

check your front prop(uj joint) i replaced mine and my truck drives like new

rgk

cpta2020 wrote:Well I got a hold of a Used front drive shaft from an identical pathfinder that crashed, I picked it up for cheap last night and got around to install it this morning,and what do you know? it drives smooth!!!! I'm officially done with this drive-line vibration..
I have had luck removing/reducing the vibration by spinning my front driveshaft around 180 degrees (transfer case side to differential).

The vibration has returned somewhat, and although I am aware that the shaft is worn, I am not sure what the source of the wear might be. A few hypotheses:

Worn output shaft bearing in transfer case.
Worn springs? I towed a trailer that caused a significant sag for about 2k miles.

I have replaced the springs and will probably be getting a used driveshaft at some point. If the wear returns, I can assume it's not the springs. I hope it's just normal wear on the shaft, and not the transfer case.

rgk

Thinking back, I realize that when the vibration intermittently returned after spinning the driveshaft, it would more often than not return when my wife was sitting in the back seat with the kiddo. I replaced the springs and did not notice a vibration when she sat back there today, so perhaps the sagging springs were causing a vibration, which was exacerbated by additional weight in the back.

rgk

As I stated in another thread, 90% of my vibration went away when I replaced the differential fluids.

Taukerman
Car: 2003 Pathfinder

I was told it was probably transfer case but sounds like it is front drive shaft listening to all of you. Mine is getting worse. Will need to replace front drive shaft or trade in. At 190000 considering trading. Thanks for the information.

Kev90
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE 4x4

@Taukerman I can guarantee you that the u joints on the front driveshaft are shot. If you notice the only people I have found with issues have 4wd. (after saying this I will probably have 1 person find a 2wd with an issue) . Have a Driveshaft place rebuild your driveshaft and let them know there are vibration issues. U joints typically are ~$10 each and the u joint install ~$10 each and then make sure to get it balanced. If you tell them you have vibration issues they will do more investigating and checks. I also had my rear driveshaft rebuilt with new U-joints and balanced as they were getting tight however the front was by far the worst. After the rebuild I now have just a hint of vibration only at 48-50mph, but it is 99% better than before getting the driveshaft fixed. One person had a custom front driveshaft made and he stated his vibration completely went away. Whatever rpm the driveshaft is spinning at 50mph it must be a natural frequency for the front driveshaft.

If you have the manual transfer case with the shifter (vs the electronic transfer case with the switch on the dash) you can take out the front driveshaft and drive around. You will obviously lose 4wd, but your vibration will have a 99% chance go away.

x2002Qx4x
Car: 2002 Infiniti Qx4

Was the vibration you guys experienced through the floor/seats or through the wheel? I have a bad vibration that occurs through the floor and seats. Not sure if it would be the same issue (front driveshaft, diff. fluids drain and fill?) Also not sure if its IAC related or driveshaft related, but I get bad vibration at idle in reverse and drive, not neutral or park.

bremmike12
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4X4

I know this is 2020 but I have been redoing a 2001 Pathfinder 4X4 LE AWD. The vibration I was having very similar to the vibration you are describing. I replaced with ujoints with Duralast ujoints and balanced drivelines. Still had vibration. Took back to my driveline guy and he installed top quality GMB ujoints, these are O.E.M. style and rebalanced. Solved vibration. The GMB ujoints have a tighter tolerance then many aftermarket ones. The aftermarket ones will feel tight but when you start to drive and the grease warms up, you'll find play in the ujoints. Hope this may help someone.

CJstem00
Car: 2008 Pathfinder SE 4wd

May or may not be related but, my old Xterra 2wd would shake the steering wheel around 60 and only did it about 60% of the time. For me it was lower control arm bushings.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”