New HID bulbs, one doesnt work?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
SteveE337
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

I installed new bulbs to replace the ones going pink. I ordered 8000k to be a little brighter. After i installed passenger side, it worked. Than i did driver side, it turned on for a sec than off.

Question is, am i asking to much from the stock ballasts? Can the cars stock lighting system handle 8000k bulbs?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Should be fine. Might be a bad bulb. Does the bad one work on the other side?

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

8000K are not brighter. That is the color temperature. The higher you go, the more blue they are and the less lumens they put out.

:Anything higher than 6000K is only used for aesthetic purposes. Bluish light is not recommended for road use due to intense glare and decreased visibility. 8000K and to 12,000K lights are customized as car show cosmetics."

https://www.diodedynamics.com/info/rese ... tness.html

cliffyk
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 w/ "Premium" package

THe human eye's sensitivity to bloes light is very poor and coupled with that it scatters more in dust/fog/etc. it is a very poor choice for practical headlights.

Highest sensitivity is in the green/yellow chunk of the spectrum, that's why old amber/green monochrome computer monitors reduced eye strain--makes it easier to see the sabre-tooth tiger outside your cave with the light of a campfire too...

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

If you bought the bulbs from a car parts store or as place like Craig's, Amazon, Ebay, etc you might have paid for a name brand that is really a cheap knock-off. Those sights are known for expertly designed 'fake' name brand bulbs. Best to buy the bulbs from an authorized dealer like The Retrofit Source. You will pay more, but you avoid having to repeat the incobeniuence and mess of replacing bulbs too often.
Regarding '8000k' , that is not the best color for visibility, lumens, or lighting distance. A name brand 6000k bulb comes closest to duplicating 'daytime' illumination at night.
I recommend Osram bulbs from The retrofit Source. Here is a vid I made after installing them. The lights you see at the start of the video are my DRLs, then the headlamps switch on. They appear to be blue at first, but quickly change to daytime color and perform like the Merc S class or BMW 7 series. They have a wide spread that can light up all 4 lanes ion a motorway and illuminate much farther in front of the car than OEM bulbs. They do not blind oncoming drivers because our lenses cut the height to approximately the door handles of nearby cars.

SteveE337

Thanks for the input. I checked the bulb on the other side and it was bad. They were returned and i am awaiting new ones. After reading the comments i went with a 6000K. I have LED 6000k in my old Montero and they are very bright and the light goes a good distance. I just put in LED fogs at 6000k, once the headlight are in i will try and upload a photo.

Thanks again for the input.

Cheers

satown210

HIDS in foglights is a jerk move. HID in anything not designed for it, casts a blinding glare to everyone else. Get the Morimoto LED foglights. Very bright and have a projector that focuses the light low onto the road.

EdBwoy

satown210 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:14 pm
HIDS in foglights is a jerk move. HID in anything not designed for it, casts a blinding glare to everyone else. Get the Morimoto LED foglights...
While I agree with the statement and think that in general modifying bulb type and output can be a major inconvenience to other road users, I am trying to place this.
Was that a general comment or in response to a post here?
SteveE337 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:14 am
... I just put in LED fogs at 6000k, once the headlight are in i will try and upload a photo...

satown210

I mis-read and thought he added HID to his foglights. Most LED bulbs are not that great and probably won't cause a glare. They just look nicer but put out less lumens than incandescent and HID. Nonetheless, turn them on and go a good distance back from your car and look and see if they are creating a glare.

EdBwoy

OK, no biggie. Just your friendly neighborhood moderator doing his job.
Carry on.

SteveE337

Hey i agree with putting HID in non HID vehicles as a bad move. I live north enough in Canada that every jacked up pick-up has HID 10000k in everything. Quite annoying to oncoming traffic.

As for the LED fog light having less lumin, were you suggesting an all out fog light replacement? not just a bulb swap?

satown210

Yes, Morimoto makes an excellent LED foglight with built in projector. I have them and have them aimed well and they provide a lot of useful light on the road.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/infin ... b-led.html

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”