New Build project and Questions

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
Ezekial
Car: 2001 Nissan 200SX S15

Mettler wrote:It's interesting to see you guys with your silvias building drift setups because I feel I've inadvertantly built a similar one myself. About the only things I lack are adjustable castor rods and adjustable lower arms (not necessary to drift anyway).

Thing is, I'm not at all interested in drifting, and I think I've made a bad mistake in my selection of coilovers.... far too stiff!

My build tally only comes to around NZD$20k, this includes the purchase of the car. I expect it'd only be around $5k for a nice twinturbo setup, plus another $2k or so for rollcage.

So just for the sake of it, lets quote a fully rollcaged, manual converted, twin turbo VH41DETT powered, drift setup Skyline... at NZD$30k.

30,000.00 NZD = 20,908.76 USD30,000.00 NZD = 24,099.44 CAD (Canadian)30,000.00 NZD = 10,622.13 GBP (UK pounds)

Do you guys think that's a cheap or expensive build ?
30k NZ ... hmmm ... my gearbox, some of the ecu setup and the turbo cost 20k NZ

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

^^ That nigga got RIPPED!
canadiandrifter240sx wrote:Thats where the builds sits as of right now, pipe for a roll cage I can get for free and build the cage myself. I guess we will have to see how thrifty I can be for the rest of the build.
Man I really hope you can pull it off, that seems like a really small budget for the build eh!

Wes, I did as much of it myself as possible, but it's only in the last few months that I've given 'professional fabricators' the big F U and started fabbing things myself. I've probably wasted/mis-spent about 4k or so, but lessons learnt as a result!

Ezekial
Car: 2001 Nissan 200SX S15

i dont run some pain in the arse factory ecu mate

Guishnu
Car: Nissan 200sx S13
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Just a quick update folks. We have purchased a 2001 S15 Spec R and an Infinity Q45 from japan. THey are about to be shipped in a container so should be here end of march.

Full Steam Ahead!

Chris

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Just to let you know that my main support for this project is Japanese Performance Parts (japperformanceparts.co.uk) based in the UK. They import and break modified skylines, 200sx's, evo's, subaru's etc etc. They stock loads of seats, strut braces, second hand electronics, gauges etc etc. They will also internationaly ship complete engines at a complete price. They constantly have RB25's RB26's, SR20's and all honda engines on the shelf. Give them a shout sometime. They are based in the UK and usualy have anything you could wish for

David Steele
Car: S13 FastBacK

You need the whole car (Q45)?

SSDwellah
Car: '90 Z32 Coupe w/ VH45DE + 5-speed (FOR SALE)
'06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

Sounds like a cool project. Good luck with it. As far as engine internals: I have heard SR20DET GTiR valve springs can be used as inners for the VH45 motor, if I were you I would want lower compression forged pistons for boost, and as far as connecting rods someone here was starting a group buy on manley performance con rods. Check it out if they are interested, I don't have the link handy but it was recent so its probably still on the first page.

SeanDean
Car: V8S13, 528i, 328is racecar

I didn't take the time to read the whole thread, but thought I would post some suggestions.

By the way, I have a S13 drift car with a VH41 and I have been drifting for about 4 years.

My car is nearing completion and in the past few years I have driven so many different cars at drift events I think I have a good idea what it will feel like when finished.

For one, dont bother wasting money on building the internals for like 10,000 horsepower. It much cheaper to just have a spare motor and shoot for like 500hp from a lightly boosted VH45.

Yes you might have nearly that from an SR22 right now, but the torque delivery of the VH is just incomparable to an SR. Obviously not just more torque, but so low in the revs that you can just throttle the car sideways anytime u need... Just going from a S13 SR to a VTC S14 SR and then to a turbo KA24 is a huge difference.

Also unless you have crazy budget, time and like making things annoyingly complicated.... forget a twin turbo setup on the VH. The engine just about fills the engine bay on a S-chassis by itself.

A big single out front might work with a rear mounted radiator, or a front radiator, and put a single turbo under the rear seat area, with water/air intercooler feeding the motor thorugh the firewall.

Might sound complicated, but I already worked out the logistics of a twin turbo on my car and it made my head hurt.... I was close to just buying a Vortech supercharger at that point...

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Hi there,Thanks very much for your reply!The car is being built to compete at the top level of european drifting. So the build is about driveablity, noise, novelty and a few other things are also factored in there as well. A single turbo setup is not an option for me, i don't think it would produce the response that i want. A twin turbo setup will fit in the engine perfectly. We have done the drawings and measurements and also looked at some of the other projects and im pretty convinced that 'what we have planned will work.The rear mounted radiator setup is most definatly something that i have considered. As the car is only going to be for track use, there is not a "huge"risk of damaging an under mounted radiator.

We don't have a "crazy" budget for this build, but we do have a fair sized budget alocated. It's also not easy to source these engines here in the UK. This one was specily ordered from Japan. So it's a "Do it once, do it right"sort of situation.

Thanks Again for your reply!

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Hi guys and gals,Well - we have moved on with the project a bit since i last posted here. The S15 has arrived! I managed to arive just in time to catch the container lorry pull in.

16 tons of container loaded with parts. Aparently, this was a really light one!

Like opening a really big christmas prezzie...

Goodies!

Working our way back through 40ft of jam packed container...

First Sight of the car...

Out of the container...

Smile Saj :wack:

I got to work stipping the inside of the car...

Checkout the sexual Spec R chassis bracing...

I spy a Buff!

Before we rolled her into the workshop for the night...

As you can probably see the car has taken a bit of damage in the container, but it's all purly cosmetic and everything that's damaged i would have scrapped anyway. Bumpers, bonnet, bootlid, wings etc. So it made perfect sense. The car is a 2000 model and has only done 70,000kms. It's a very very rare Spec R AUTOMATIC and was previously owned by a woman. Which means it's had a fairly easy life. :wack:

Q45 arrives this thursday! Update then...I have also been mulling on some of the advice people on here have been giving regarding engine building etc. If a standard bottom end produces 1000hp. Then why the heck should i bother super building it? Im going to do a full engine service anyway, with new belts, piston rings, bearings etc etc. But im thinking of keronite coating the pistons crowns and lands?

CheersChris

David Steele
Car: S13 FastBacK

The bottom end handling 1000hp is 1 out of 20,000 VH45's. I havent seen a dyno chart either.

I'd build it and get that out of the way. Taking chances like that doesnt make sense for what you're already prepared to do.

Mettler

After having seen Nyloc's post regarding the Nizpro speedboat having all custom internals, I'd definitely consider using H beam rods & forged pistons for durability... a Nico member originally posted that he'd been in contact with the guys at Nizpro and said that they'd left the engine stock in their original build.

I'm not so sure now how much credence we can lend this information until it has been confirmed as fact or bullsh1t.

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Hi folks

Major update on the project front. The S15 has now been stripped back to a bare chassis and sent to RS Fabrications in banbury to have all the preperation and fabrication sorted. I dropped the engine off this very morning so they can mock everything up and test fit it in the car. I have ended up going with a VH45 engine with Z32 gearbox, flywheel and clutch with a custom one off bell housing.

See the pics

As you can see, the majority of the original chassis holes have been sealed up and the entire floor pan has been seem welded. from the underneath. They have not done the strut towers as yet, but they should push on with that stuff as the cage goes in. The slight bit of damage at the front end has also been fixed, but i don't have any pictures as yet!

Hopefully the next update will be pictures of the engine in the car for it's first test fit.

Exciting.

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Guishnu wrote:Hey there folks,I have spent ALL day reading this section of the forum. You have no idea how hard it is to find information on the VH45DE engine. What a fantastic forum. Thanks!

Anyways, Im one of the drivers competing in the European Drift Series (D1 Great Britian) over here in the United Kingdom. For the last 2 years i have been running an S14 (with an S15 front end) with an HKS stroked SR22 DET engine.

For next season (if i get my arse in gear), im hoping to build an S15 with a twin turbo VH45 engine. I seem to have the majority of the information for the build, the only issue i have at the moment is sourcing some stroger con rods and some stiffer valve springs. Any ideas? Are there aftermarket options available?

As you folks seem to have a whole lot more experience than me on building and specing these engines. Would you mind giving me some feedback on my planed spec and letting me know what you think?

VH45DE Engine (out of 92 Nissan Q45)
  • Polished and finished head (looks pretty good as is)
  • Re -profiled cams (256- in 256 out)
  • After market or stiffer valve springs
  • Ferriday copper (ringed) head gaskets
  • Dished, forged pistons
  • Aftermarket con rods
  • New bearings, seals etc
  • Custom- twin inlet plenums
  • Twin VH45DE throttle bodies
  • Twin SARD Fuel Rails
  • SARD 850cc Injectors
  • Custom exhaust manifolds (T25 flange)
  • Twin Garrett GT2835R Turbo's
  • HKS External wastegates with screamer pipes
  • Exedy Twin Plate Clutch and Flywheel (Z32)
  • Z32 Manual Gearbox (with adaptor plate and custom propshaft/gear linkage) From what i have read, cooling could be a big issue with this engine. So i propose running:
  • Twin Setrab 260mm oil coolers with Spal fans
  • RB25DET (R33 Skyline) Koyo Alloy Radiator (with twin spal fans)
  • Transmission cooler (another Setrab item)
  • Fuel cooler (a mocal jobbie)Any other ideas?Not quite sure how to setup the intercooler etc. With two turbos and two plenums. Is it worth while using two intercoolers? Or am i just adding weight... Opinions?

Fuel System:
  • Twin bosch fuel pumps
  • Forge Motorsport Twin swirl pots with
  • Walbro Scavenger pumps
  • Forge Motorsport Fuel Cell
Apart from the obvious engine mangement issue. Have i missed anything vital? Or does anybody have any feedback/input etc?

Im shooting for 800whp with a 9.1 compression ratio. My theory is that if an SR canrun 400whp easily with a 9.1 compression rato at 1.2 bar of boost, then a VH should be able to do 800whp at well under 1.5 bar.

Or am i living in la la land

If any of you are interested, here is a picture of my current car

Thanks very much in advance!

Modified by Guishnu at 3:19 PM 12/14/2006

darkengineer
Car: 95 ZX 2+2

Looks like your shop has some spiffy tools. What happens to your drift vehicles once you move on to a different car?

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Wow, this is an old thread. Pretty cool going through it to see the changes. Hopefully you'll update more than once or twice a year from here on out.

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

darkengineer wrote:Looks like your shop has some spiffy tools. What happens to your drift vehicles once you move on to a different car?
They get sold The S14.5 in the picture there is for sale at the moment. It's got an HKS 2.2ltr stroked engine and some very funky turbo setup we developed here. Runs 380hp at 1.2 bar and around 450 - 470 when running 1.8 - 2.0 bar. Serious bit of kit! Used it as my competition and display car for 2006/2007

Shameless plug, but i will ship to the states Car advertised at £13,000 - which over there converts at around $25,000 thanks to the shocking exchange rates at the moment....

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Hi Folks, sorry for the age between updates but I have a monster one here to keep you all satisfied!

The most recent update: Cage is in, chassis leg/front slam panel is fixed. The front and rear arch tubs are complete – all in all, it’s some of the best fabrication work I have ever seen.

Pictures speak for themselves really...

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

And the one you have all been waiting for!Engine and gearbox have been fitted into the chassis, cross member/cradle have all been fabricated, so this is how it stands as of today! As you can see, it’s been mounted as far back and as low as possible.

I don’t know about you guys, but now the engine is in I get the feeling that this car is going to be very mean. It just looks almost evil sitting there. Weird.

Cross Member Fabricated to take engine + more power

Engine Mounted in Chassis (underside view)

Gearbox

Steering Rack Position

Engine IN!

Good fit, still loads of space around it

Mean Shot

Im a bit pleased…

Mettler

Mean!!!! You certainly pulled all the stops on this one didn't you :p

My motor sits about as far back as yours, but it looks like you've got it sitting a little lower.

Reckon you could take a pic from the side man? I'd be keen to see how low the gearbox and bellhousing hang as a result of the engine being so low. Oh... and check swaybar to front pulley clearance too, you may end up needing to go custom with the swaybar.

Top notch, you should blow the competition away with your setup _b

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

These pictures should answer all your questions buddy!!!

Gearbox Mount Done

Strut Brace Mounts

Everything is going to be powder coated once finished - but these pictures show the fab work best i think

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

You have a fabrication and welding god on your hands there! Some of the best fab work on the site!!! Can't wait for more!!!

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

Absolutely phenominal fabrication work, top notch! Can't wait to see this come together.

Guishnu
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

T45 wrote:You have a fabrication and welding god on your hands there! Some of the best fab work on the site!!! Can't wait for more!!!
Company is RS Fabrications if Banbury, UK. They do a lot of work for the ProDrive WRC Subaru's etc. They are a very serious company who spend a large chunk of there time building competitive GT cars. Seriously cool bunch of guys who REALLY know there stuff.

Mettler

Without doubt... those are some extremely neat welds! These guys must dig your project to do such nice work on it!
Guishnu wrote:These pictures should answer all your questions buddy!!!
Nice gearbox mount! If it's not too much trouble, can you take a side-on photo of the underside, lining the chassis rails up horizontally so I can see how low the bellhousing hangs relative to it?

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

with that mad nasty cage a strutbrace almost seems silly...curious to know more about the adaptor plate, got any specs?also i see that the xmember has been spaced down...i assume this is not only to lower the motor but correct the suspention geometry since the car will be nearly on the ground?

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

It looks like you've got some serious fabricators on your hands. I'd guess some of those pieces were designed by an engineer.

kingkilburn
Car: '93 240SX

Would you mind posting some of these on zilvia's fabrication thread? Or if you don't mind can I?

Z Style
Car: 93 240sx Roadster
01 Pathfinder Overland
97 F350 Powerstroke
88 RX-7 SR20DET Swapped
14 Star Bolt

kingkilburn wrote:Would you mind posting some of these on zilvia's fabrication thread? Or if you don't mind can I?
Why, this is way too cool for a site like that?

Man, that dude can weld some f-ing metal. Did you have the orange S14 with the exhaust canister coming out the quarter?

riu
Car: 94 300ZX 2+2
89 Isuzu I-Mark RS
92 300ZX Slicktop
92 240SX SuperHICAS

wow. you just made my day. great progress. i'm very surprised that you managed to fit the motor that far back in the bay.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”