new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
Bobby Drake
Car: nissan 2004 350z

new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over

Postby Bobby Drake » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:51 am

i just recently got my car painted all over at a paint shop a 2004 nissan 350z when i took it their it was running great i had to get the car towed from the paint shop because it would not start i found out the battery had went dead from sitting so i replaced still no start i then was told i needed a new starter so i got that replaced still start so now i have a new battery and starter and not only wont start it wont even turn over i have power all through out the car and i twist the key forward to start it all i her is one click i switch all the relays around just in case one had blown still nothin got battery tested and starter tested. some please help me

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over (Bobby Drake)

Postby C-Kwik » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:02 pm

First off, please try and use some grammar. No need to be perfect, but a few periods and commas can help make a message much more readable and clear.

That said, based on what you've written, I'd suggest looking into whether or not your key is still synchronized with the Immobilizer system. Having sat for so long, it may have lost all memory of the keys that were programmed for it which would prevent the starter from operating.

Bobby Drake

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over (C-Kwik)

Postby Bobby Drake » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:19 pm

the car has started one time so it cant be the key, do you have any other suggestion.

JETPILOT

Postby JETPILOT » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:14 pm

if the car started once then its probably the ecu. the ecu, if replaced with another one will only start once and then you cant start the car again. if you get a chance can you ask the body shop if they replaced your ecu for some reason it definetly sounds like an ecu problem.

edit by rmezz13: lol took like 5 minutes

sir_vq
Car: 350z

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over (JETPILOT)

Postby sir_vq » Sat May 16, 2009 6:43 am

its in lock out mode u need the nissan consult to restore it, u made need to relearn the idle also it all should only take about 10 min at the dealer, only thing that sucks is towing it in

Bobby Drake

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over (sir_vq)

Postby Bobby Drake » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:49 pm

after finding out why my car would not turn over or crank. i found out that it was a loose ground wire connected to the starter. Now my car is cranking but it will not turn over. My throttle is not opening up and my fuel pump is not priming wen i twist the key onto an on position. when trying to start the car security light comes on and glows solid red. I thought the key lost programing and i thought it was a NATS error so i took it to the dealer they told me that my IPDM box was recieving power but not giving any power out. This was about 3 weeks ago when i took the car to the dealer about 5 days ago i went out to the car and tried to start it and the red security light was no longer glowing the car started and immediately cut off over and over and the fuel pump was priming i ran to the store and grabbed some starter fluid got back sprayed it in the throttle. The car started and immediately cut right off. A few minutes later the security light was back glowing red and the fuel pump was no longer priming

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THE f*** IS GOING ON WITH MY CAR

Bobby Drake

Car still wont start only cranks new all help i can get

Postby Bobby Drake » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:33 pm

after finding out why my car would not turn over or crank. i found out that it was a loose ground wire connected to the starter. Now my car is cranking but it will not turn over. My throttle is not opening up and my fuel pump is not priming wen i twist the key onto an on position. when trying to start the car security light comes on and glows solid red. I thought the key lost programing and i thought it was a NATS error so i took it to the dealer they told me that my IPDM box was recieving power but not giving any power out. This was about 3 weeks ago when i took the car to the dealer about 5 days ago i went out to the car and tried to start it and the red security light was no longer glowing the car started and immediately cut off over and over and the fuel pump was priming i ran to the store and grabbed some starter fluid got back sprayed it in the throttle. The car started and immediately cut right off. A few minutes later the security light was back glowing red and the fuel pump was no longer priming

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THE f*** IS GOING ON WITH MY CAR

aris_unlimited
Car: 1998 Ford F150 4.6L 5 speed. Edge programmer, 2" lift, 35" tires.

Re: Car still wont start only cranks new all help i can get (Bobby Drake)

Postby aris_unlimited » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Only 1 post on a subject at a time is needed.

aris_unlimited

Postby aris_unlimited » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:06 pm

Sounds to me like you need to go to the paint shop and tell them they are going to fix it, or pay to have it fixed. It worked before it went there and now it doesn't........they should be held accountable considering it was in their possession when this happened.

Bobby Drake

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over (aris_unlimited)

Postby Bobby Drake » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:24 pm

thats not an option

Bobby Drake

Postby Bobby Drake » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:25 pm

is their any one else that knows what it can be

Bobby Drake

Re: Car still wont start only cranks new all help i can get (aris_unlimited)

Postby Bobby Drake » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:40 pm

any one else have any ideas in what the problem could be

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

Postby BusyBadger » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:00 pm

I merged the two threads as they were essentially the same thing.

I've got no ideas and based on the lack of responses I don't think anyone else does either. Starting multiple threads certainly won't get it answered any quicker.

I'd certainly talk to the paint shop but before doing so you need to find someone that can isolate your problem and with as unique as your problem seems to be that probably means going to a dealer. A different dealer.

I'm with Sluggz on this and am betting on the problem being ECU related, but how a paint shop managed to jack that up I've got no idea. I wouldn't mention this to whomever you have try to peg down the issue though, you don't want to influence their diagnostic procedure(s).

Bobby Drake

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over (BusyBadger)

Postby Bobby Drake » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:55 am

ok so today i pulled the Bcm and the IPDM out of the car. I checked both of them and took them apart and both of them look to be pretty fine and not burnt up. Is it possible that one of the wires going to the IPDM box has a short in it that will cause it to have the same symptoms as the NATS code.

Bobby Drake

Postby Bobby Drake » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 am

My throttle is not working my fuel pump is not working and i thing my injectors is not firing. I check most of my fuses with a volt meter and most on the right side fuses of the IPDM box is not getting any volt

Anthonysflying
Car: 2004 Silverstone 350z Touring

Postby Anthonysflying » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:19 pm

First off sorry to hear this is happening to you man. Especially with a fresh new paintjob!

Your battery dying from sitting is pretty suspect. How long was your car there? I'm pretty sure it would have been started and pulled into a booth for each stage of the paint process.

Did you get any metal flake done?

Sometimes an electrical current is run through the panel being painted in order to get the metal flakes to stick flat. I'm sure the negative is connected to the panel but someone may have f**ked up and fried your computers by positively charging your cars body, which is normally a ground for a magnitude of systems.

another thought is that the battery was disconnected at some point during the painting process, and then reconnected incorrectly.

Wherever you got your paint done should be bending over backwards to help you with this. I wouldn't pay until they did.

Bobby Drake

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over (Anthonysflying)

Postby Bobby Drake » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:26 pm

Its reasons i cant take my car back their i would if i could but its major that i

don't. and when i first got the car back the battery was dead so it would not

do any thing so i got it towed home. i looked it over when i got home it was

doing no crank nothing so i hooked a car up to it gave it some juice had power

still nothing. After changing the battery and the starter and it still dint crank i

then found out the starter was not grounded properly. Be for i found out that

the starter was not grounded properly i put a metal pry bar or a bar that you

use to jack car up on the starter bolt and the frame of the car and the car

would start i was still unaware that it was a ground loose some ware but car

was starting and the fule fuse would pop every time cause of how we

starting it and it would cut off do to lack of fuel. so not knowing it was a loose

ground i took BCM cords out and took the Ipdm out and every since them my

fuel pump, throttle, and injectors all have not been working. when i go to

start the car the alarm light glows solid red so i thought it was the Nats and i

took it took the dealer and they said they didnt know they would have to

change the IPDM and the and the ECM but they said they had no idea.

aris_unlimited

Postby aris_unlimited » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:42 am

I can not think of one reason that would be so important that these guys didn't fix my car for me lol.

I'm outta ideas, make the paint shop pay for it.

Bobby Drake

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over (aris_unlimited)

Postby Bobby Drake » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:03 pm

heeeeeeeeeeeelp

Joelz33
Car: 350z

Re: new battery and starter car wont crank or turn over

Postby Joelz33 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:15 pm

did u ever get it fixed I am having the exact same issue>>>?

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

Postby BusyBadger » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Sorry that it's a problem that brought you here but we're glad you found us!

Have you plugged in a code checker to see what errors the Z says it has? Have you made any recent changes besides the new battery? Did the problems happen right after the change(s) or did it gradually misbehave until it got to the point where it is now?

Welcome to NICO! :badger

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Postby evildky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:32 am

The absolute first thing you do with any issue on an OBD car is check the ecu for codes, have you? If the fuel pump isnt coming on, have you verified voltage AND ground to the pump? On the Z32 there was a fuel pump control module that modulated ground to vary the speed of the pump (stupid over engineering BS). I'm not sure of the Z33 has a FPCM or if it's handled by the bcm and or ecu but in the absence of a code and the pump not coming on you need to check to see if it's receiving voltage and ground, could be as simple as a bad pump.Also being that this car was at a body shop I'd get under the car and make sure they didn't place a jack on a fuel line and crimp it shut.

GeorgeMed350z
Car: 2006 Nissan 350z

Postby GeorgeMed350z » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:26 pm

I know this is a long shot but I have the same issue has anyone figured out what's causing this??

evildky

Postby evildky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:21 pm

I saw another of these threads basically identical where the body shop managed to put a jack or something on the crank angle sensor, it's located at the bottom of the trans bellhousing and not too hard to smash.

GeorgeMed350z

Postby GeorgeMed350z » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:17 pm

so if the crank sensor is damaged it wont let your car start?

evildky

Postby evildky » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:48 am

On older cars absolutely not, on some newer cars they can use the cam angle sensors to operate under a limp mode, not sure on the 350z, but it's easily damaged, and easy to check and replace if needed.

GeorgeMed350z

Postby GeorgeMed350z » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:43 pm

OK I scanned the car and the only code that came out is the crank positionin sensor, i changed it,but it still won't start.
Info on car I just got the motor rebuilt and it was sitting for about 6 months until now.

evildky

Postby evildky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:40 am

Ugh, who rebuilt the motor? who pulled it? Who put it back in? I ask because I helped a friend replace his motor, one person pulled the harness another put the harness on the new motor, turns out we reversed the cam sensors. Put the ecu into a lockout even nissan consult 2 couldnt figure out why, a tech compared to another car and found the error. Find a similar car and start comparing wiring at the cam sensors.

GeorgeMed350z

Postby GeorgeMed350z » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:47 am

I pulled the motor and labeled everything and a machine shop rebuilt the motor, I reinstalled the motor as well. How can I tell if it's in lockout mode?

evildky

Postby evildky » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 am

You basically can't, the tech that found our screw up was using the consult 2 and reviewing it with nissan corporate and still only determined that the ecu was not doing what it was supposed to, no idea why. He got another car and started comparing every connector and found the cam sensors swapped.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”