Netgear Arlo Pro home security camera review

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

A few weeks ago, I picked up an Arlo Pro home security camera. I ended up buying two additional cameras, and setting them up with a full view of my yard and house.

These cameras are fully wireless, and battery powered. They don't record constantly, but record based on audio or motion events. They link to a base-station which connects to your home network (either wired or wirelessly) and you can connect multiple cameras at once. They support linked triggering, meaning you can record events from multiple cameras at once. They have a rated battery life of 6 months under normal use (which is 5 minutes of recording per day, at the "balanced" video quality setting, and the batteries recharge in about 90 minutes. You can even buy spare batteries with charge kits to have a hotswap battery ready when needed. The cameras also have night vision and even have a speaker so you can talk with--for example--the UPS guy dropping a package at your door. This all comes together through a smartphone app or web interface that allows you to view the cameras live at any time, view recordings, and use the mic/speaker combo for conversations. The cameras come with 7 days of free video storage, and you can extend that by picking one of their paid tiers. But you can also attach any USB storage device to the hub and keep ALL recordings permanently for free; it'll both upload to the cloud and write to local storage for any videos when storage is connected. The cameras only record at 720p, so the files are relatively small; about a meg per 10 seconds at the high quality setting (versus balanced or battery optimizing settings).

I was pretty excited about the truly wireless setup. I have trees at the corners of my property that provide a perfect camera mount, but obviously don't have AC power run to them. With the Arlo Pros, I could mount the cameras anywhere, regardless of power accessibility.

The recording is based on motion or audio events, and motion and mic sensitivity are customizable. What's NOT customizable is monitored zones within the camera's view, which is something most motion-detecting cameras offer. So you can't block out tree branches, or a hedge, or anything else in the camera's POV that might provide motion detection false-positives. This means that the effectiveness of the camera's motion detection depends more on where you aim them than how you configure the settings.
That triggering can be set according to user-configurable modes. Modes can be static, like "armed" or "disarmed," but they can also be more dynamic, and the system allows for nesting modes. For instance, I've got my Geofencing mode (based on my phone's location) pointed at a static mode and scheduled mode, depending on where I am. The scheduled mode points at two different static modes depending on time of day and day of the week. Within EACH of these modes, I can add different triggers for recording, each with their own sensitivity and alerting options. So during certain times, I'm watching just the front door, but when the front door detects motion, the front door AND the front yard cameras record. At other times, all cameras are set for motion sensing on their own. And at still different times, I have a combination of discrete detection and linked recording configured.

I have the base station in a fairly central room in my house (mostly by coincidence, since that's where my network equipment lives), and I have a third of an acre being covered from the outside edges in. None of the cameras had any connectivity issues at those distances, and audio quality remained consistent across the full distance. Audio is the same.

Video quality is decent. 720p allows for enough detail to identify individuals even at moderate distances, and the cameras adapt well to different lighting situations. They are surprisingly effective at dusk, when light is low but IR night vision hasn't kicked in yet. They also fare quite well even when pointed at reflective surfaces. The manual warns not to use night vision if pointed at windows, but I did one better and pointed two cameras at windows tinted with IR-reflective film and there's still absolutely no glare, day or night.
Audio quality is meh. I can certainly pick up conversations with people at the front door from the camera mounted right next to my front door. But there's a continual low hiss underlying all recorded audio (and even live mic feed) on all of my cameras. I have never used audio event triggering since I live on a somewhat busy street and even at night I have lots of loud livestock (cows, donkeys, roosters, even freaking frogs) that would be triggering recordings all night long.

"So," you're probably thinking, "It sounds like MoD is a fan."
I was a fan.
I love the concept.
The application is very broken. And that's a double entendre.
See, the smartphone app and the base unit don't work very well. The cameras? They're great.
But geofencing is COMPLETELY broken (on many, many occasions in just the few weeks I've had the cameras, I've had the cameras switch from Home to Away mode and back and forth several times over 5-10 minutes, all while sitting on the couch and not moving, with my phone right beside me. This means I can't depend on it to arm and disarm the system for me, which means I have to do so manually.
Which is not only tedious, it's time consuming. The app is VERY slow to launch, respond, and load any content. Sometimes, it just hangs at a spinning loading circle and you have to Force Stop and relaunch to get it unstuck. Usually, it does that when you need it most promptly. Then, once you're in, you have to wait for each page to load, and things like modes are nested a little too deep in menus for my liking.
But then there's the issue of response times. The feed you get from the cameras is SEVERAL SECONDS behind. This means the whole "talk to the mailman" idea is merely theoretical. He'd be long gone by the time you got he app launched, checked the feed, went to the correct place to start transmitting audio, and then waited for the extra delay THERE before being able to talk to them. It's easily 30+ seconds from notification to being heard, and that's already several seconds after motion was detected.
Then there's the weird "You are not connected to the internet, please check your connection" notification that keeps popping up from the app on my phone. It is--unfathomably--a persistent notification. It CANNOT be cleared. EVER. Unless you force-stop and relaunch the app. Then, sometimes, it comes back after a short while. But it's not just obnoxious, it's useless and cryptic in addition to being meaningless. Firstly: WHAT is not connected? My phone? Any or all of the cameras? The base unit? Russian hackers? And secondly: okay, I've checked my connection, NOW WHAT?! Oh, but mostly: there's never actually a connection issue with ANY OF THESE THINGS. Every time this notification appears, I am able to launch the app and view all cameras and recordings. So all it's doing is wasting screen space with an un-clearable notification to tell me nothing useful at all.
Speaking of notifications, you can't customize the many different types of notifications this app sends. You can customize them ALL together. But separate sounds for system alerts (like the loss of connection warning, or geofencing mode change alerts) versus Event/recording alerts? Not possible. That seems PRETTY basic and even critical to me.
I get easily ten times more nonsense alerts about faulty changes in geolocation mode or imaginary connection losses than all my camera alerts combined.

So, what you end up with is a great set of cameras tied to a completely nonfunctional management app. They are UTTERLY useless for protecting my property while I'm away, because they can't be trusted to stay in the mode they're supposed to be in, and even when I do get alerts, I ignore them because I'm sick of getting dozens of alerts a day caused by GPS and base unit malfunctions.

Which is why I have arranged a return for all 3 of my cameras and the base station with Amazon. The cameras are 100% useless to me, and I'm not interested in waiting around to see how long (if ever, knowing smart home companies) it takes for Netgear to fix these MAJOR issues that prevent the cameras from working in any way as advertised.

Don't buy them.

They're bad.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”