Need some help from the GODS........

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
comrade418
Car: cars, and chicks

check out my progress.........

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....10500

comrade418

ladies and gentalmen can i get a drum roll plz........bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrraa

my car is finally running WWWOOOOWWW

a beast it turly is, test drove it on my street (residential area) about 50 mph crazy........loud enough for the cops to come haha

CHECK IT OUT:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....word=

compression

Holy blue paint batman! It looks much cleaner than before, hop it runs as good aas it looks.Wheres the radiator?Now thats its driving, you should start hitting some local gatherings, check out the dimequarterly for a schedule of events.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

wow, excellent man!

comrade418

im a newbie so getting thi started is a big deal for me

now a couple of questions, some might be dumb but i rather be safe then sorry:

is there supossed to be water or some liquid in the coil??

is the car supossed to run rough when it has dual carbs??

and there is a semi- squeeky nosie when the car is running, i think its the alternator but i dont know, any idea what it could be??

thanks for the help in advance:ylsuper

comrade418

oh yea and the rad is on now and the fan blade

compression

The car will run rough with dual carbs if they are not adjusted right. Welcome to the wonderful world of dual carbs. THere are mixture screws on the sides of the SU's that you can adjust, but I recommend having someone who has experience adjust them for you. Also, make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks. Is the vacuum advance for the distributor hooked up?The SU's also need to have oil in them to dampen the movement of the plunger. Thats what the little caps on the top of the domes are for, I always used to use ATF, it worked good.Where was the water in the coil? just a little trapped in the end where the wire plugs in is no big deal. ALso, a new coil is very cheap, so you might want to buy a new one and just eliminate that as the cause of any problems.The squeak is probably the alternator, try tightening the belt. and dont worry about it too much.

comrade418

yea ill take it somewhere for the carbs thanks.....yea i put oil in there also.

the water as like in the cylinder, when you shake it you can here it.

as for the vacuum advance im not sure if ihave it on right so here is a pic (its in green)

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....age=1

compression

most british auto repair places are good with SU carbs. THe vacuum advance looks good. I noticed that your external coil resistor is not hooked up (the white ceramic thing by the ignition coil). So you must be running an electronic distributor. If you are running an electronic distributor, then you need to make sure that you have the right coil to go with it, which you probably do. There is a wealth of information a lot better than what I am giving available if you join the bluebirds mailing list. THere are instructions on the dimequarterly website, under mailing list.

comrade418

thanks for the info on the SU's

and i think i dont have an electronic distributor, i have to ask my friend what i have (remember im a newbie) im guessing i dont because of the breaker points, and electronic distributors dont right.....? anyways thanks for the help.

comrade418

man this car is freaking awsome!! i took it for a spin and holy freakin moly.......road noise like ive never heard before......

anyways for my question i have a 280z tranny in the car, and the gears (mainly 2nd) grind like hell, but for that im guessing its the syncros.

but the really question is that 5th gear does not work......it looks like its in but when i go to hit the gas, it just revs.

and thoughts..????

compression

get a new tranny. They are fairly common.

comrade418

will do (about the transmition)

i have 2 questions for you guys now......

1. how much does the stock gas tank hold?

2. anyone know where i can find any history on the car before i bought it? i was thinking about carfax but the vin is not normal length?

thanks in advance:ylsuper

comrade418

so no one knows??:(

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

stock tank is about 40litres ( 10.5 gallons )

comrade418

cool thanks, anyone know about the history thing? (vin)

Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Carfax cant do it because of its age. They cant do a car over 20 years old. You could try your DMV.

comrade418

ok thanks for the help

comrade418

hey any of you 510 lovers out know of any clubs in Northern California, i live around the Napa Valley.

If you guys know any clubs, can you tell me about them plz.

datsunboy

I don't know where that is ( Im from New Zealand ).but there is a Datsun club in the states I know of "North West Datsun Enthusiast's"http://www.nwde.com

comrade418

Thanks datsunboy but the link dosent work.

compression

DUDE! this weekend drive your car to mount shasta for the largest(at least it used to be) west-coast Datsun 510 show. SHow up early saturday, and have a camera ready. More info on the dimequarterly website.NorCal UFO is the club in your region, NWDO is more in the oregon/washington region.Also, if you want to tap into the knowledge of generations of 510 owners, subscribe for the email mailing list at the dimequarterly.comThey can answer all your questions a lot better than this forum. THis forum does not attract a lot of datsun people.good luck

datsunboy

sorry....it was:http://www.nwde.orgthey have very good helpfull forums there....most of the guys are into thier trucks tho...but they all know a LOT about the L-series engines if you have one your working on!

comrade418

hey guys how was Mt. Shasta?? (didnt get to go)

I have a guestion for you guys:

My dime trys to stay alive when i turn it off, sounds like its going to die then kind of starts, and then finally dies. Like it doesn't want to be turned off.

I was just wondering if its normal or if you guys have seen it before, and if so any solution??

I have dual carbs if that makes any difference.

thanks in advance -Dennis

datsunboy

"desieling" as it's called.yes....almost everyone would have experienced these problems at some stage. :(means that it is still getting fuel after you turn the ignition off ( and is igniting because of the combustion chamber heat ).so...you are getting fuel...and your comb temps are high.

try sync'ing the carbs first...this can do wonders.if that doesn't help...I'd say bring the timing back a bit or run a colder plug.failing that ( or you can't be assed fixing it properly ), you can set up some sort of fuel cut-off solenoid ( close to the carbs as possible ) to cut the fuel off with the IGN key.L20B's come with this factory ( but on a downdraft carb )

comrade418

does anyone know where i need to look, so i can find out exactly what kind of tranny i have.

I need to change it, and all i know is that its from a 280z 5spd, i just want a similar one so i can just pop it in, no hard work involved.

thanks

comrade418

no one knows??

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”