Need help with R32, PLEASE!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
S13 Power

ChickenBoo wrote:Well.... you could always steal the VIN off of a 240 and just say it's a body kit..... with a right hand drive conversion.... a completely different engine.... and everything modded to R32 specs..... : )

Just curios, but would this actually work or not? I mean if the occasion comes and you get pulled over, could you tell the officer that its a modified RHD 240 or is a RHD conversion illegal too. Also what if the all the state emmision and safety test were passed. Ive seen RHD integras in some magazines so i dont think thats illegal. Is there any way they can actually find out its a genuine Skyline if you swap VIN's etc.?

TruboostPerformance

Look in all honesty, you can buy a skyline R32GTR online for about 8,000, spend about 1000 to ship it to canada, and then however much to your state. Now if your state is like SC then you dont have no inspection at all. So you buy a skyilne, and do a VIN swap and have nice day that is exactly what I am going to do. RHD is not illegal at all, and all you have to say is you did a RHD conversion on a 240, how in the world will a cop know, you have the VIN's to prove it, you have registration, you have all the documentation that you need, so there you go, for those who believe it join me and buy a skyline, I am in mainland Japan right now and can set you up with a local car lot that speaks english that can get you a skyline from 7,000-12,000 depending on make and model, R32 usuallly in the low 7's,and then up for R33/R34's...let me know, email is [email protected]

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

wow man, so good condition r32 (assuming we're talking GT-Rs here right) is running for 8k ish?, this is getting much more interesting, if u dont mind, would u post the prices of an r32gtr , 33, and 34 just from what u see on the lot>?

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

All you guys's arguments frustrate me.....

First of all, you can't just "ship it to Canada then ship it to the states." That would be way more hastle than it's worth. You'd have to have it go through Canada customs, then U.S. customs. Not to mention you'd still have to have paperwork showing it originated in Japan. On top of that, it doesn't matter if your state has no "inspections" or "emissions" laws, because the car has to pass federal EPA and DOT standards to be street legal. It has nothing to do with your state's laws.

Also, as far as importing goes, it's currently illegal to import any cars into Canada from overseas.

Also, your average cop is going to know what a Skyline is. I'm sorry, but they aren't *that* exclusive. As Skyline's gain popularity, more and more people know about them. You must understand that there are lots of cops who are car enthusiasts and they actually do know what Skylines are. If they don't know what a Skyline is, they more than likely know enough about 240SX's to know it's not one of them with a body kit.

Finally, if you swap a VIN on a car, it's like a $15000 fine if caught.

S13 Power

So if you do get pulled over, is there any actual way that an officer can prove that the VIN isnt the orginial one. Yea an officer probably knows what an R32-34 is and looks like, but he also knows about conversions and body kits, etc. I mean they do em on Yukon 2 Escalade conversions. If you got all your registration and paperwork and insurace **** right, for the 240 that is, he cant just impound it or something. I mean he would have to be a nissan mechanic or something to know its a genuine JDM Skyline. Just tell him that its a 240 with modified body, RHD, and engine swap. althought i dont know if the engine swap WOULD be legal. Also i live in SLC, Utah so there isnt a heavy import scene as Cali or Florida.

S13 Power

about shipping... could you just buy the GT-R then have it shipped to somewhere round LA, pay customs and whatever fees apply. then U-haul that ***** to whatever state your in? What fees are needed?

nlzmo400r

thanks for the TRUE stuff ezcheese, everyone seems to think there's ways around it, but there really isnt, if u want that car, wait till they're legal here, or bite the bullet and pay up, i still want one tho :)

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

ssshhhh, don't listen to them guys, you can do it! Go ahead and piss away $15,000.00 trying to be tricky. Your car will be crushed, you will likely be fined and you will lose all the money you invested but what do I know? Don't beleive me either, hurry up and do it;)

S13 Power

I think that legal is the best way, maybe ill just wait till more importers pop up beside motorex and get some competition to get the prices down. 90k or more for a R34 is absurd. What about importing a UK skyline or Aus. skyline, is it cheaper?

nlzmo400r

well if they can actually crush the beautiful skyline, then guys, dont do it, they're already a rare and beautiful car, and we need the population to grow, not deplete, what kind of man would crush a skyline, its just INHUMANE!!, o, and hasnt motorex put a patent (sp?) on the imorting thing?

S13 Power

This is out of topic but its still on importing...i read on the site from the NHTA that if it the model is similar to a model sold in the US you could get around that as long as you do the other mods to comply with DOT and EPA. does anyone know if this is true or did i read it wrong. Also the registered importer gets u all the paperwork ready, customs and the bonding charge which i have no idea what that is. Then the RI(registered importer) does all the mods needed, for a charge of course, but nothing outrages like 20 or 30k more. Anyone have any more info? So lets say i want to import for example a 00' prelude. the same model is sold here in the U.S. Do i still got to the crash testing and all that crap besides the EPA and DOT mods?

illspace

Ive been staying out of this... but my friend bought his r32gtr+shipping+legalization for a grand total of 22,000 (most of which was legal garbage and shipping)......

example 2:another friend has a '99 british mini cooper in his garage, very legal. He claimed it as '76 mini?? i think thats the year. So screw motorex, my biggest beef is the rumors of them selling shady salvage cars, not to mention lying about how much it is to legalize them.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

S13 Power wrote:This is out of topic but its still on importing...i read on the site from the NHTA that if it the model is similar to a model sold in the US you could get around that as long as you do the other mods to comply with DOT and EPA. does anyone know if this is true or did i read it wrong. Also the registered importer gets u all the paperwork ready, customs and the bonding charge which i have no idea what that is. Then the RI(registered importer) does all the mods needed, for a charge of course, but nothing outrages like 20 or 30k more. Anyone have any more info? So lets say i want to import for example a 00' prelude. the same model is sold here in the U.S. Do i still got to the crash testing and all that crap besides the EPA and DOT mods?

Yes, all of that is true. You can legally import any car that is "similar" to a USDM one. However, the problem is that a Skyline (and also Silvia) are not "similar" to a USDM model according to the DOT. The Skyline is not "similar" because, well, it isn't. There's nothing remotely close to it over here. The Silvia is not similar because the engines offered overseas are not the same as the ones in the U.S.

If you want to catch up on all the current laws for importing cars, go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

That should clear up just about any questions regarding the matter. As for importing cars as kit cars, as some have mentioned, then read http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm

If you read both those sites thoroughly, you will have a good understanding of what actually is involved.

nlzmo400r

aaahhhh, EZcheese always comes through in the end

S13 Power

EZcheese15 wrote:Yes, all of that is true. You can legally import any car that is "similar" to a USDM one. However, the problem is that a Skyline (and also Silvia) are not "similar" to a USDM model according to the DOT. The Skyline is not "similar" because, well, it isn't. There's nothing remotely close to it over here. The Silvia is not similar because the engines offered overseas are not the same as the ones in the U.S.

If you want to catch up on all the current laws for importing cars, go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

That should clear up just about any questions regarding the matter. As for importing cars as kit cars, as some have mentioned, then read http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm

If you read both those sites thoroughly, you will have a good understanding of what actually is involved.

Sorry to keep bringing it up, but i have one more question. So lets say i buy a Galant VR4 overseas and import it here. Do i still have to go through it as i would a skyline because the engine is a little diffrent. Ive read the nhtsa's page but a lot of parts are confusing or i just cant understand em. Another question... what if you import a car to mexico and then just drive it over to the us and register it here and apply for a new title, does it depend on the state weather or not they will ask for fedaral regultions? thanx in advance

nlzmo400r

well im not the man to talk to on exporting, but the vr4 has the 4g63 motor in it, so i dont see why you'd have to 'legalize it' considering we have the 4g63 motor here, only its in the awd talon and eclipse

S13 Power

nlzmo400r wrote:well im not the man to talk to on exporting, but the vr4 has the 4g63 motor in it, so i dont see why you'd have to 'legalize it' considering we have the 4g63 motor here, only its in the awd talon and eclipse

I did some research and the late model ones..98+ i think come with a 2.5 Twin Turbo V6. It also has the AYC system which gives the Evo its edge. It all looks good on paper but i heard its kinda heavy but its just an option. Wouldnt mind importin an early 4G63 powered one either.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

nlzmo400r wrote:well im not the man to talk to on exporting, but the vr4 has the 4g63 motor in it, so i dont see why you'd have to 'legalize it' considering we have the 4g63 motor here, only its in the awd talon and eclipse

We have the 4G63, but we don't have it in a Galant. So it's not "similar" according to the DOT. It would have to go through the same work as the Skyline. You can't mix-and-match engines with cars to claim that it's "similar."

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

S13 Power wrote:Sorry to keep bringing it up, but i have one more question. So lets say i buy a Galant VR4 overseas and import it here. Do i still have to go through it as i would a skyline because the engine is a little diffrent. Ive read the nhtsa's page but a lot of parts are confusing or i just cant understand em. Another question... what if you import a car to mexico and then just drive it over to the us and register it here and apply for a new title, does it depend on the state weather or not they will ask for fedaral regultions? thanx in advance

First of all, you'd have to check out Mexico's federal imporation laws. I'm sure they are less strict that the U.S., but I'm also sure they have some guidlines as well. But even then, it wouldn't do you any good because to import a car from Mexico, you have to go through the same mess as any other country to get it here.

As far as importing into Canada goes, Canada currently does not allow the importation of any cars that are not "similar" to a model sold in Canada. So that's a no-go.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Actually, it's not just the AWD talon/eclipse, but any turbo talon/eclipse has the 4G63. And also the Evo VIII.

sr20meplease

i could have sworn there were galant vr4's with 4g64 awd motors in them....just not new ones

nlzmo400r

its the 4g63, and motors arnt 4wd, its the tranny that makes that difference, and yes, you are right as far as some of them being awd, and im not sure wha u mean about 'new' ones, the new o4s?

sr20meplease

yea like 04's i think they only had awd galants back in the early 90's right?

nlzmo400r

they've had them for a while, and yes the early 9o's was 'part' of that era, however they were only sold in japan, the u.s didnt get them, they were 'discontinued' i believe when teh 3kgt vr-4 was done with in 99, and in o4, the galant gets an entire new chassis, body and motor

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”