Need help with installing the spoiler

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

OK, here are the photos bboard sent me. They show the old bolt holes for the CDN spoiler and the new bolt holes drilled for the US one. Much thanks for his hard work taking these pictures.

DanTheMan
Car: 2010 RogueSL Wickid Black Premium

So, is this site moving slowly, or is it my provider?..... I just purchased a spoiler from this site MyNissanParts.com. NOT sure of what I am getting, but it is supposed to be genuine. I will give a follow up for the install, when it happens.

Cheers

insomnia816
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

DanTheMan : I believe its genuine because it is shown with paint code. I bought mine from ebay (yes the second spoiler I have) which shown with part number on the spoiler as 999J1-GUxxx04

insomnia816

I went to pickup yet another spoiler today. Despite the fact that there's some issue with my first one (the aftermarket one I bought on eBay). Somehow the spoiler doesn't quite align well from right to left. I got this OEM spoiler off Ebay with a very nice deal. I am lucky its brand new with the packaging for only 1/4 of the retail price. I have also taken some shots for comparison between the OEM vs aftermarket to shown the quality of the craftmanship.

With the white plastic cover

Pealing off....

Back Side

Yes Finally I got the one with the studded bolt :P

The top

Another angle

Comparing to my first one (aftermarket on the left, oem on the right)
The black dots on the spoilers are marks I put to indicate the dust within the clearcoat.
Its not visible shown unless take closer look.

Reverse of both. Yes I am bored enough to tape with weatherstrip and 3m tapes on the aftermarket

Another angle. Two wings is better than one.

The top (aftermarket) has holes within the cover area. Yes I am bored enough to silicone it

The OEM states the part numbers. The aftermarket states (California wings)

Last but not least. I noticed there's a weight difference on both. The OEM one weights obviously lighter if I hold with one hand. The aftermarket's abs blown mod is way more thicker and thus creating more density. I felt so relieved that I did not put on the first one. Or else I must have hate myself. Even though I paid almost triple of the cost on the first. I think overall its like paying the tuition to obtain the experience which is priceless. Anyway I will follow Elton's installation method since he done his with the proper tool and hopefully I can get it on mine once my day-offs is coming.

rolade01
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver Black/Blue Cloth

Hi insomnia816 - I am in the lower mainland and I have a spare Curt Brand, model 13185, class 3, 2" trailer hitch if you would like to trade for the aftermarket spoiler you aren't using if you are interested. This exact one...

http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event= ... Code=13185

The trailer hitch was lightly bent in shipping (it would take some elbow grease or one driver side bolt hole needs a 2mm modification using a keyhole file to correct the defect). I was about to modify it myself, but when I informed the supplier, he opened a FedEx claim and used the insurance to send me a brand new one. The FedEx driver refused to take the original as it was too heavy, so I was left with a spare.

insomnia816

Hi rolade01
Sure I would be glad to give the aftermarket spoiler to someone in need of a spoiler. But I would suggest to try a dry fitting first so there's no right/left alignment problem. I am busy lately as I am preparing for my wedding event so I am free after the 15th till the 24th. You can pm me for the contacts and I would be glad to help.

rolade01
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver Black/Blue Cloth

Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful wedding. I notice that your PM button is not active now, so I will look between November 15 and 24. Thanks for the response.

insomnia816

Thank you! Okay, I just enabled it. Try again

insomnia816

rolade01 wrote:Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful wedding. I notice that your PM button is not active now, so I will look between November 15 and 24. Thanks for the response.

The wedding was a success. Thank you for the blessing. I am available wednesday after.

hammester
Car: 2010 Wicked Black Nissan Rogue SL with leather and premium packages

Hey guys I just received my OEM Nissan spoiler and was planing on installing it soon. Is it necessary to use some sort of sealer? I know you need to use rust preventative (any recommendations?) but is there a need to use some sort of sealant to keep the water out?

insomnia816

hammester wrote:Hey guys I just received my OEM Nissan spoiler and was planing on installing it soon. Is it necessary to use some sort of sealer? I know you need to use rust preventative (any recommendations?) but is there a need to use some sort of sealant to keep the water out?
You can always use the touch up paint instead of rust preventative. The water will always get in the attach part no matter how tight your sealant is due to wind vibration when traveling at high speed as well as bumpy roads. The key part to it is as long as there's weatherstripping around the bolt holes then you don't really have to worry about the water gets into your trunk lid. The OEM spoiler leave gaps between each of the bolts to ensure water that gets in also gets out.

philipa_240sx

insomnia816 wrote:The OEM spoiler leave gaps between each of the bolts to ensure water that gets in also gets out.
I would definitely not try add additional weatherstripping or caulking beside the one shown on the OEM spoiler. You want any trapped moisture to escape. Nissan had some real problems back in the 80's/90's with spoilers on their vehicles. More than a few rotted out the rear deck/trunk. Example: The '89-93 240SX.

This is about all the weatherstripping I would recommend. The top edge and around the bolt/screw holes.

hammester
Car: 2010 Wicked Black Nissan Rogue SL with leather and premium packages

So basically don't add any weatherstripping to the OEM spoiler because it already comes with some? Also the directions say you must apply when the temperature is over 60 degrees. Has anyone installed it when its been less than that? Is it because of the 3M tape?

philipa_240sx

hammester wrote:So basically don't add any weatherstripping to the OEM spoiler because it already comes with some?
Yes.
Also the directions say you must apply when the temperature is over 60 degrees. Has anyone installed it when its been less than that? Is it because of the 3M tape?
The 3M tape used has a pressure sensitive adhesive. 3M recommends warm temperatures for application as it will make the spoiler and 3M tape more 'flexible' ensuring the tape fully contacts and adheres to the vehicle:
Acrylic foam tape is not a "heat-cure system," but rather a "pressure-sensitive" system. Therefore, heat is not required to ensure the tape performs as intended. As stated earlier, adequate pressure is required (15 psi). However, heating can be beneficial in terms of making the trim component more flexible, which improves wet-out. Heat will also aid in the viscoelastic flow or microscopic wet-out of the adhesive to build adhesion more quickly. It is recommended that part temperature be 60-110° F at time of application.
Installing in very cold weather will make it more difficult to get a complete bond. IMHO, see if you can borrow a friends warm garage, etc or wait for a sunny day. Even if it's cool out, the sun will warm the metal and spoiler up enough to help.

insomnia816

Finally I finished my spoiler install and want to share with you guys
It was smooth until I drill the far right hole a bit too short which I have to grind it out more
The template was off a bit like other said and you really have to dry-fit before to find the right hole spot. The time could have shortened a lot for this

Now my rogue has a wing! :)

harpunz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue S

Hello, this is great info. Thanks! My problem is different though. I bought an OEM rogue spoiler but it did not come with a template. I tried contacting the online seller but no reply. I tried my local Nissan dealer and they did not have the template. They gave me a number to call but I got a useless call center. Where can I get a template or if anyone has a spare template or even a scanned one to send me, I would certainly appreciate it. I have a spoiler but I can't install it. Any help or suggestion is welcome. thanks guys!

harpunz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue S

Hello, this is great info. Thanks! My problem is different though. I bought an OEM rogue spoiler but it did not come with a template. I tried contacting the online seller but no reply. I tried my local Nissan dealer and they did not have the template. They gave me a number to call but I got a useless call center. Where can I get a template or if anyone has a spare template or even a scanned one to send me, I would certainly appreciate it. I have a spoiler but I can't install it. Any help or suggestion is welcome. thanks guys!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Please don't post the same question under multiple threads! If you had read this entire thread you would have found the answer you were looking for.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:Please don't post the same question under multiple threads! If you had read this entire thread you would have found the answer you were looking for.
+1 - A+ :clap:

baldilox
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue

Has anyone that has installed an OEM spoiler on their Rogue had issues with aligning the outside bolts??? Any tips on doing so? Thank you.
Last edited by baldilox on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

baldilox wrote:Has anyone that has installed an OEM spoiler on their Rogue had issues with aligning the outside bolts??? Any tips on doing so? Thank you.
if you dont have that drill template, man is it a "female dog". i dabbed some paint on the bolts, and alighted it over the car's sheet metal. that left a paint mark on the spot to drill out. try that. and for the two interior holes to drill, just approximate it from the cutout for the 3rd brake light

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Hate to burst your bubble, but even with the template it might not even be right. I had to take off the spoiler a couple of times and refile the holes to make it work until taking it off one to many made one of the middle built in-screws started to move where I could not remove the spoiler anymore. So the left side has a little space or opening where it didn't lie exactly flat.

Yeah that sucks, no biggie the same thing occurred on my 1990 Nissan pearl maxima when I had a spoiler installed by the DEALER! :cry:

If you can get it perfect, consider yourself lucky. And I thought doing it myself, I could do it better. It looks ugly under my spoiler, the horror.( the unseen damage I created). Argghh.
:picard:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

casperfun wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but even with the template it might not even be right. I had to take off the spoiler a couple of times and refile the holes to make it work until taking it off one to many made one of the middle built in-screws started to move where I could not remove the spoiler anymore. So the left side has a little space or opening where it didn't lie exactly flat.

Yeah that sucks, no biggie the same thing occurred on my 1990 Nissan pearl maxima when I had a spoiler installed by the DEALER! :cry:

If you can get it perfect, consider yourself lucky. And I thought doing it myself, I could do it better. It looks ugly under my spoiler, the horror.( the unseen damage I created). Argghh.
lol my right side imbedded bolt also removed itself!

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

casperfun wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but even with the template it might not even be right. I had to take off the spoiler a couple of times and refile the holes to make it work until taking it off one to many made one of the middle built in-screws started to move where I could not remove the spoiler anymore. So the left side has a little space or opening where it didn't lie exactly flat.

I concur, I used the template and it was off by a good 1/2 inch!

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

casperfun wrote:So the left side has a little space or opening where it didn't lie exactly flat.
LOL! Just like mine, but I paid a custom shop to do mine. No biggie, it's hard to notice...

adarreT
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

I've seen it on another post on this board, but the linked file is on Rapidshare, not really accessible in the US...

I was hoping someone can re-post or send the link to a copy of the template for drilling the holes for an OEM rear spoiler on a 2009 Rogue. Nissan has a part number for the template, 999J1-GUTEM, but I can only find a reference to it, thanks...
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

If/when you do find the template don't trust it completely. I did this install years ago and the template was off by like half an inch.

If you buy an OEM spoiler it will have the template with it.

Make sure you treat the holes you drill so rust doesn't form and spread. Also, have some silicone ready.

Are you sure that is the correct part number, 999J1-GUTEM? what color is that?

Return to “Rogue Forum”