need help

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
79kingcabman

Hey all ....... im having a problem with my 79 620 ....... it wants to bog down on acceleration and throws out black smoke . what could be the trouble .... i just rebuilt the head on it .any help is appreciated .

lancekilgore

your carberator needs adj.  make sure all the vaccume lines are hooked up correctly. sounds like your float level is set to high. if it was fine before the rebuild and now is giving you problems then something was messed up or put back wrong.

hope this helps

Lance

DanielC

Black smoke means too rich.  Does your carb have a glass window with a white line across it?  That is where your fuel level should be in the carb.

odpl_DanW

if only on acceleration, and boggs down w/o dieing, it could just need accel pump re-adjusted. More like youve got supply line hoooked where a return line goes. Flooding out because overpowering anti-backflow devices

lancekilgore

Ok  I still say it is the float it could be to low or to high. why not just get a rebuild kit and rebiuld it.

Lance

odpl_DanW

Ive rebilt many datsun carbs ; let me guide you.  On disasembly keep yur base directly in front with  screws left in holes. main body above it (front &center), carb top abve that,screws in holes. All pices top side  up, sprins and thigs on left or rightdependingwhich side they g inpay attention to ck balls and springs. Line up all small parts how they go.

Spray w/cleaner in out and thru passeges, beckwash,  and chase down ck balls you forgt to remove.

short cut: remove ld only while on car,turn back on linkages carful  tto hold all screws, spray gently, inclding idle adj screw hole. do not openflaps untill you retrieve ck balls &their hold down srrings

lil_hustler_620

Also helps to rebuild a carb on a large beach towel that way if you drop a check ball they wont roll miles away and hide. Also handy to keep a magnet near by for those of us who can't see real well :D

lancekilgore

DanW,  I have rebuilt my carb and it runs good but I have a choke problem can't figure it out but it always sticks open when cold, and I have to hit the linkage with a screw driver and it unsticks.  The only thing I have not done is remove and check the choke.  Any suggestions?

NOt trying to steal the thread but maybe someone else has the same problem

Return to “Datsun 620”