Need help picking tires

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Pitts

There are all seasons, winter studded, and summer tires. But as we all know, not every tire is made the same.

So, I've got an 84 300zx on stock 15's (6" wide) right now (looking at some XXR 527 that are 8.25" wide for budged cruising wheels). Stock suspension. I know what tire sizes I need, but I live in Montana and I've sold the last of my running FWD cars. I should also mention I live in the mountains, quite literally. I need something that will grip and keep traction in 6" of snow with some sand in the back hatch but also will get warm and sticky in the summer. I am an enthusiastic driver. I like taking tight turns, letting the rear end break out occasionally, and I cannot stand being behind someone going 30 in a 35.

I do not care about the harshness of the ride as the roads here make NJ... Well, let me just say we have mudding trails in town (of 40k people). So the roads are harsh as is. I don't care about traction in the rain (I'm currently driving on tires that have about 3% life, so I'm already used to hitting a puddle before a turn and making a nice and smooth controlled traction loss (don't consider it drifting as technically it could be called hydroplaning still) while getting a number or two occasional from onlooking ladies.

I don't really have a budget, but I don't want to spend more than $600 on tires if I get the XXR's or more than $850 if I keep her on the stock wheels. I'd like to only but one set of tires and keep one set of wheels on year around because I do live on a steep hill and I can not lift up the car without risking it wanting to roll down hill (23% grade). And if you think 23% is relatively steep (after-all, big rigs have to go about 45-50 mph on a 7-8% grade slope downhill), some hills are at a 65% grade hill (I'm talking 1st gear, full throttle/WOT, making it up to 15-20 mph and then slowing down and struggling to climb while still at full throttle/WOT). Luckily I don't have to go up some of those hills to get home, but it shows how much I need a great tire for snow that will also stick in the winter. I hope this is plenty of information for someone to be able to help me. Thanks.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, all-season tires are not super great at anything but some can be pretty good. Personally I like ContiExtreme DWS but they are a premium. Just as other good all-season like Pilot Sports.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”