Need help in locating parts!

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
jovanavichs

First off, I am new to your forum. Second, this is not my vehicle but a customer who is intent on keeping this 1983 720 running forever. Alright now, his initial concern was hard starting and no power. The carburetor was a reman about 10 years back. Somehow he lost the 2 screws holding the choke plate in place and the choke plate was resting inside the carb. The customer says that his choke never worked properly. Sufficed to say, this carb needed a rebuild. I located a kit, and rebuilt the carb. Was pretty clean inside with the exception of some rubber plugging the accelerator pump ports. Once the carb was rebuilt, I got it installed and re-did all the vacuum lines. Started the vehicle. Started very easily despite base adjustments. The problem is when I would give it gas, the vehicle will bog down and then backfire through the carb. I know this isnt a timing issue. The timing was never an issue with this vehicle. My past experience with carbs told me this was either too much air or too much fuel. I found the problem in the vacuum operated secondarys. They do not begin to open till about 4500RPM. If I manually operate the secondarys, the engine is cherry. Power everywhere. Now my problem begins. Do any of you fine people know where I can get a kit to either rebuild the secondarys or outright replace them?

Sorry for the long story here, I posted this in the case of my work not being done properly. If in what I typed does not seem to fit with my problem, please correct me. I am open to all types of constructive critism. Thanks in advance everyone.

EDIT: Sorry this is a 2.2L engine with a 2bbl I believe Hitachi carb. There is only one secondary that uses vacuum through the carb. There are no outside vacuum hoses attached.

Charlie69
Car: 1966 Datsun 520

Call this place they might be able to locate the parts you are asking about.

I have dealt with them in the past for parts for my 520.

http://www.nissanparts.cc/

jovanavichs

Thanks for the help, I will look into it.

Return to “Datsun Chat”