Need a new engine, difference between 04 and 06 VQ35DE

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
v30magna
Car: '93 MX6 LS
'92 240sx

I’ve got a vin c g35 coupe with bad motor. I found a 2006 vin c G35 engine I want to use. What is the difference in the 03/04 vs the 05/06 vq35de as far as swapping one for the other? The interchange at the junkyard says they are not compatible, but it doesn’t say why. I tried searching, but most folks only discuss the differences in terms of power statistics(which I’m not concerned with). Can I just swap on some sensors or harness ends from the old motor? Thank you in advance!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I dont think that applies to the 05s with auto.. but the 06's if they were paired with a manual had different internals ( the so called rev-up motor) and there for need a different ECU...
This is what I remember from back in the day when I was following this very closely.

So the '05 with the auto tranny just might fit..I do no think they had that upgrade yet. ....but dont go out buying anything yet.. I do not wish to misdirect you... I am simply not 100% on this...you will be better advised to wait until the real experts here answer. :yesnod

v30magna
'92 240sx

Ok, thank you! I’m definitely looking at nonrevup cars. Mine is an 04 coupe auto, and I’m looking to switch in an 06 coupe auto engine that has low mileage. I’ve been searching every free minute I get, and so far, the only thing I have seen mentioned is that “the 06 has 12v rpm signal and 04 doesn’t”. I’m not sure if that is accurate, and I’m not sure how to solve that issue either...

v30magna
'92 240sx

FYI, I’ve already got an entire MTX swap for this car and a weldini Nismo catback. I just need to get a running engine in it before I start swapping things. As far as my experience, I’m a home mechanic, but I’ve done mtx swaps on other cars, engine swaps on other cars, installed engines and transmissions, Do all my own mechanic work (I’ve done timing chains on 3 06-08 Maxima)

v30magna
'92 240sx

Ok update: I ordered the engine anyway. Should be here next week sometime.

The only other thing I have found so far in searching was mention that the upper oil pan has some sort of different sensor and may need to be swapped. I cannot confirm this yet

So I’ve got some things here that I can use if I need to swap some parts.

I’ve got a bad 04 vin c Auto coupe engine here that’s out of the car, and I’ve got a complete 04 Auto coupe engine that’s bad that is still in the car I’m working on.

I’ve got a 05 Vin c auto sedan engine in a parts car I have here that runs but it’s ticking and rattling very bad and leaks coolant between the block and rear timing case (Previous owners only put water in it, no coolant, and they let it run hot, definitely gonna pop a head gasket in the near future so I can’t really use it without a full rebuild)

I also have an 08 maxima engine that smokes and has a bad vvt cam advancer sprocket

So I guess I will compare the new 06 engine that’s coming to the bad 04 engines I have and swap on anything I need to from those engines. I’ll let you know what I figure out.

I’m still open to information if anyone who knows how reads this. Thanks!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Uh, oh.. i hope it will work out.. i will feel bad if it doesnt.. I hope u didnt pull the trigger based on my guesses :gotme

I checked on edmunds and according to this only the manual had the revup in 06 which is also what i had remembered..(u gotto toggle the auto vs the manual)
The year later both the manual and the auto had the HR.
https://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/g35/20 ... res-specs/

So going auto 04 to auto 06 hopefully will work w/o undue problems..
There are folks on here who understand this a lot better than I do and I hope they will chime in soon..

But you already ordered the engine so we will find out for sure wont we .. ;)

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”