NA -> TT Conversion Guide

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
JDMspyda

would it be worth it to convert an N/A motor to TT? or just to buy a TT engine?

zack1991
Car: 1993 Blue 300zx 2+2 , RIP 1995 blue 300zx TT

Im not sure if this will help much. But im currently undergoing a 2+2 to TT swap myself and from about 2 weeks of researching day and night ive found the best route "If u dont have the nohow of a swap" would be to buy a 300zx TT front clip u can get it at Z1 with everything u need for 3000 plus shipping or u can go somewhere less reknown and get for around 1700-2000. Then its around 2000-2500 for installation. 5000 for one bad machine isnt to bad still a little pricey but better then 10000+ for a new car.

"objects in mirrors arnt as fast as they thought they were"

Billib34
Car: 1991 nissian 300zx

I am working on a converision right now. need to know how to remove the exhaust manifold on the right side can't get the nut by the turbo off

xenonxiii
Car: 1986 300zx NA auto to Turbo/Manual

tg wrote:Well I noticed that Z1 has recently taken down their tech article on the swap, and concequently raised their price for the TT swaps and redesigned their swap page. So with the intention of doing the (300zx) world some good, I've fished it out of my browser cache, recreated it, and hosted it on my own site, where it is safe FOR EVER (or until I stop owning my own domain... not likely )

So enjoy, and any of you reading this for the first time, SUCK IT UP.

http://www.doubledesign.ca/Z1_TT_SWAP.pdf

This requires Adobe Reader, which is free by following this link: http://www.adobe.com/products/....html -Jared (freakonaleash1187)
Do you mind if I also host this over at xenonzcar.com?

scjustin

good find

Z*kg66*Z
Car: 1992 300zx TT

anyone know where to find good quality tt clips?

nghtrain88
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZXTT

http://conceptzperformance.com...6.254

sunny334
Car: mitsubishi eclipse and 300zx

i really am looking for a tt front clip .. i m alabama i cant really find 1 .. so if u could hook me up with 1 i would appreciate

tg

all you guys looking for clips -- send me an email with what you need/where you live..

keep in mind that automatic TT clips (what they sell at z1 and coz) are usually cheaper than a full manual half-cut which is usually what I get. From time to time I see some automatic clips and I can get them too if needed/wanted, usually about 800$ cheaper than a full manual front clip.
xenonxiii wrote:
Do you mind if I also host this over at xenonzcar.com?
Create a new post with a link to this post and provide the link here so users can track both discussions, will make things easier.
Billib34 wrote:I am working on a converision right now. need to know how to remove the exhaust manifold on the right side can't get the nut by the turbo off
Is the engine out of the car?

Norrek4040
Car: 1991 300zx 2+2 Z32

tt motor w/tranny 1399 , i'm currently @ $790 saved up gonna do the swap myself

http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/...300ZX

Ksizz13
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx

that 1399 deal is for an auto tranny and has no ecu and a cut wiring harness

sunny334
Car: mitsubishi eclipse and 300zx

thanks

DustinZ
Car: 1990 Z32, rb25 s13, 1980 S130 10th anniversary, 1978 5speed fact ac s30, s2 rb26 on deck!

I blank motor set is the worst way to go on a tt swap. Even when buying a clip you have to purchase so much more stuff.

$350 A new ecu harness $600 Exhuast$200 fuel pump$150 fuel pump controller$450 timing set$60 water pump

and that is just some of the stuff. I have done several and you really need to know what you need and how much you will spend. I will try to do a fill in write up.

DustinZ

adrenaline360

nice i like this guide very informative.....pc

Zislife
Car: 1990 300zx 2004 g35

I have to say this entire thread has been eye opening I just got my z running again last night (thanks to the info I gathered on other nico postings) only to find this. wow I heart you all but now I must know does anyone sell a clip or an entire package to swap 5speed na to 5speed tt. and I'm talking I don't even want to go out bolt searching

sonicwrxpa
Car: 2003 Subaru Wrx- 1990 nissan 300zx

say i find a TT engine tranny ecu turbos smic wiring harness. ect. for a good price. Ide like to do an engine rebuild on it. Pistons, rods, maybe some cams.. My question is do i have to make the car right hand drive??? i know its cool but i really dont want to do it...

is it possible to buy a jdm vg30dett without going right hand drive??

DustinZ
Car: 1990 Z32, rb25 s13, 1980 S130 10th anniversary, 1978 5speed fact ac s30, s2 rb26 on deck!

Yes it is, Buy a clip, new tt harness from z1, divorced dump pipes (Z1), and a fuel pump and controller. That minus maintenance and performance parts will get the job done. That is everything you need to keep left hand drive. There is never a need to go right hand. It is a ridiculous amount of work.

DustinZ

tg

Updated with links to fully detailed step-by-step videos. (right click save as)

JC6711
Car: 1993 Nissan 300zx N/a

why dont the vids work? Says sever isnt there or w-e?

tg

JC6711 wrote:why dont the vids work? Says sever isnt there or w-e?
Right click-> save as

Team kaotik
Car: 300zxtt X 3,300zx NA X 1, 240sx X 2, mr2 x 1

yOU DONT HAVE TO REPLACE THE WIRING HARNESS THE NA WILL WORK FINE UNLESS YOUR JUST DOING IT TO MAKE EVERYTHING NEW.

tg

Team kaotik wrote:yOU DONT HAVE TO REPLACE THE WIRING HARNESS THE NA WILL WORK FINE UNLESS YOUR JUST DOING IT TO MAKE EVERYTHING NEW.
You will need an aftermarket boost controller if you wish to use the NA harness.

Team kaotik

Thats true you are right (TG) . I tend to forget that people actually drive stock 300zx tt. An aftermarket boost controller is a must along with boost gauge and new oil pressure sending unit they are known for going out. I personally run two dual gauges 1 shows boost & a/f the other shows volt & a/f. The reason for 2 a/f is we have found that if you can have one o2 working fine and the other not working and U wouldnt know because (besides rougher idle)the a/f is only reading one sensor.I also run oil pressure,fuel pressure,and water temp gauge. I reccomend every 300zx owner get an aftermarket water temp gauge because thru research on my car I found that the factory temp gauge will read normal between 180 degrees and 240degrees which I consider a big change for the factory gauge to not move.

Lonewolfjulez
Car: 1990 300zx

i have a 1990 N/A, still pretty clean. Im saving up for the swap as we speak. can't wait till spring i dont like wrenching in the cold.

Team kaotik

Lonewolfjulez wrote:i have a 1990 N/A, still pretty clean. Im saving up for the swap as we speak. can't wait till spring i dont like wrenching in the cold.
R U doing the swap yourself?

phanatikz32
Car: 1991 NA to TT z32 biatch!

i heard you dont need a fuel pump controller unless you run a tt ecu if i use my na ecu and chip it i can still use my na fuel pump controller right?

Sixpence
Car: 1994 Nissan Fairlady 300ZX N/A 5-SPD / 1989 Toyota Celica-Camry DLX N/A 5-SPD

I need some suggestions/answers on this subject... This is going to be a long one...

I had figured buying an N/A Z and putting turbos on it would be cheaper than buying a TT Z, but now after reading this I'm not sure.

I bought a 1994 N/A Z 2-seater from Texas (Rust-free! You can see it on StreetFire here.) for about $7000. I just picked up an aftermarket fascia that gives me plenty of room for intercoolers. I have access to every tool I could imagine, a garage, bodyshop, and even paint booth, and a whole family of mechanics that can help with ANYTHING I might need, so labor costs are no object for me.

I've gone over the PDF provided on the original post for this thread, and I'm a bit concerned about the NA's lack of brackets. My own dad, both a lover of performance cars and a tightwad, thinks I would be better off selling my Z and buying a TT when I can afford it. I'd rather not do that for a number of reasons... Having to find a buyer and then a seller, my Z is already my baby, it has exactly the options that I wanted, and it's hard to find a TT model that's completely stock. That last one is important to me - I don't want to buy somebody else's project.

My first option is buying a VG30DETT and swapping it. This link here that somebody above has mentioned seems like a good price, but it says it comes with a 5spd transmission in one part and an automatic in another, so that's confusing. Either way, I would sell that part, because my 5spd I already have should hook up with the TT engine. If anybody could give me more insight on what I'd have to do with this swap, prices, et cetera, that would be appreciated.

Second option is keeping my VG30DE block, and just converting/buying all the parts to make it a veritable VG30DETT. This was my dad's next suggestion to buying a TT Z and selling my NA. I don't see how this would be cost effective though... I'd imagine buying all these parts I would need separately would cost more than just buying the whole engine. Nevertheless, it may be worth considering, especially since either one of these first two options, I will be taking the engine apart and rebuilding it.

My third option is my dad's first: Sell my N/A and buy a TT. I really don't want to do this one (See above reasons), and the cheapest I've EVER seen a TT for sale has been $14k, and I've NEVER seen a stock TT for sale, which as I stated above, is important to me.

Since I paid $7000 for my stock '94 NA, which is half the price of the cheapest TT I've seen, I'd be very relieved to read someone stating that the parts for a clean NA-to-TT conversion are cheaper than another $7000. Labor is no object.

Thanks in advance, sorry to make you read so much.

EDIT: Perhaps I should have made my own thread? Didn't think about it until it was too late. :\

phanatikz32

1st of all, you paid way to much for your na Z i guess z prices vary from state to state but i'm in socal and i payed 5g's for my na and that was too much, tt's are going for 8 grand out here in cali, but anyways

1. "buy a vg30dett and swapping it in" the swap is more than buying a motor and turbos and putting them in. people are going to tell you doing things this way can get expensive really fast unless you have hook ups, but thats what this and other forums are for and i'm doing it this way and i havent spent over a grand yet and i have the entire motor, with turbos and intercoolers... its all about who you know and how hard you look for parts, here is a list of things i compiled that you'll need from the swap, i posted it previously and i may be missing a few things but it should give you a general idea of what is needed and how much you should be looking to spend.-oil pump-fan clutch-oil filter bracket-oil pan - -heater core*--vaccume lines and water/oil lines-ecu or tuned na ecu -boost controller -boost gauge--electrical AC condensor fan*-?-tt clutch and fly wheel--radiator--Ac condensor-front lower core support*(may be able to modify na)-intake/turbo/intercooler piping-fmic--Bov's--downpipes/testpipes-fuel pump - - fuel pump controller (if you use a tt ecu, if you flash an na ecu you can use the na unit)-oil cooler* - -fuel injectors

2. "keeping the na block and converting it to tt specs" this is not really reasonable at all, because this means you'll be purchasing internals which get REALLY expensive and then you have to buy most if not all of the above list also so that would be just spending way more money i think, what you may want to consider is just going turbo on your na motor and internals and running lower boost, people will tell you your an idiot for it, but thats just cuz they dont think outside the box, people run boosted motors with 12:1 compression its possible to boost 10:1 safely, especially if you upgrade the internals.

3 "sell na and buy tt" - that would be an option if tt's werent so expensive where you live, but since they are, i woudnt bother, you can probably complete your tt swap using option 1 for under 3 grand or less if you use ebay and forums like i am....

oh and by the way dont worry too much about "the na's lack of brackets" the only brackets you need are the oil filter bracket, which you can buy 2nd hand and its cheap and bolts right on. and the brackets to hold down the intercooler piping, which only maters if you have stock intercooler piping. al you have to do is get aftermarket or custom intercooler piping and you wont even have to worry about that.

Sixpence
Car: 1994 Nissan Fairlady 300ZX N/A 5-SPD / 1989 Toyota Celica-Camry DLX N/A 5-SPD

phanatikz32 wrote:1st of all, you paid way to much for your na Z i guess z prices vary from state to state but i'm in socal and i payed 5g's for my na and that was too much, tt's are going for 8 grand out here in cali, but anyways
Automatics go for 3-5k out here, 5-spd models are never below 6k, and I paid 7k for one with beautiful condition interior (But then a small rip formed in my seat on the return trip). At the time I bought mine, the ONLY TT model for sale within 500 miles on Autotrader was going for 21.5k. I want to go where you live and buy a few cars.
phanatikz32 wrote:1. "buy a vg30dett and swapping it in" the swap is more than buying a motor and turbos and putting them in. people are going to tell you doing things this way can get expensive really fast unless you have hook ups, but thats what this and other forums are for and i'm doing it this way and i havent spent over a grand yet and i have the entire motor, with turbos and intercoolers... its all about who you know and how hard you look for parts, here is a list of things i compiled that you'll need from the swap, i posted it previously and i may be missing a few things but it should give you a general idea of what is needed and how much you should be looking to spend.-oil pump-fan clutch-oil filter bracket-oil pan --heater core*--vaccume lines and water/oil lines-ecu or tuned na ecu-boost controller-boost gauge--electrical AC condensor fan*-?-tt clutch and fly wheel--radiator--Ac condensor-front lower core support*(may be able to modify na)-intake/turbo/intercooler piping-fmic--Bov's--downpipes/testpipes-fuel pump -- fuel pump controller (if you use a tt ecu, if you flash an na ecu you can use the na unit)-oil cooler* --fuel injectors
Don't most of those parts come with the VG30DETT? Also, does this link from above sound appealing at all, or should I look for another source? I think this might be my COA, especially since:
phanatikz32 wrote:oh and by the way dont worry too much about "the na's lack of brackets" the only brackets you need are the oil filter bracket, which you can buy 2nd hand and its cheap and bolts right on. and the brackets to hold down the intercooler piping, which only maters if you have stock intercooler piping. al you have to do is get aftermarket or custom intercooler piping and you wont even have to worry about that.
That's relieving to read. I haven't finished watching those 2 videos from the original post yet, but I guess with the aftermarket stuff about the only bracket I'd have weld on there is for the narrower radiator?

I guess what I'm going to do is continue to treat my Z like I'm keeping it forever while I save up maybe 6-7k, but keep my eyes open for a deal on a TT, even a wrecked one, that might be useful in a swap or to just use that one if it's not wrecked [badly]. Recently finding out about HICAS has kind of made me want a TT model anyway, but I dunno...

Thanks for the info.

phanatikz32

i dont think you'll need 6 to 7k for the whole swap process but its always good to have more money than you need. what i'm trying to figure out is why people charge so much for the swap but i havent done mine yet so i mean i guess i could run into some expensive hurtles, but if you look at it, why would you pay 5 grand for a front clip when you can buy a car for that much... atleast out here, i can get a tt for 5 grand if i look hard enough. z1 charges you like 9 grand for the swap, and its like if you figure that labor is 75 an hour. if the front clip was 5 grand that means they're charging you for 53 hours of labor which is ridiculous considering they dont work on your car 24 hours a day, they probably work on it for 8 hours a day tops which would give them 6 days to complete the swap. with a front clip you have everything you need right there you dont have to look for parts, and with the experience they have, it shouldnt take them more than 3 days to complete the swap so why are you paying for an extra 3 days in labor?

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”