My wood trim has the warranty extended?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

I got the most bizarre warranty extension from Infiniti today. Apparently some of you have had the veneer peel off or crack on your wood trim on the doors. Infiniti said that it has been getting replaced with synthetic look wood but now they are going to warranty all wood trim for 8 years/unlimited miles.

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard....but whatever, at least I know my wood is safe. :lolling:

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

That is actually pretty neat. Those stupid door trim panels have been peeling for a while. I have seen them replaced under warranty for a while and now they have created specific kits for each vehicle, but they are still the better part of $800.

:cheers:

inteller

my guess is fat wives with big gaudy trophy rings are banging against the wood when opening the car, cracking the veneer and then it spreads from there.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

uhh....

It's a little more like they used a low VOC adhesive that suck more than the good old fashion airplane glue they used to use for veneer.

It was funny (not :lolling: , more like :crazy: ) the first few hot days last summer we saw an onslaught of owners with separated wood trims. After about a week the entire national supply was depleted and the part went on back order. Then a few weeks after that they cancelled all back orders. (By this time you can image how...."patient" some people tend to be) Maybe two months later they released a tsb with a kit containing all the door trims and a "modified" (read= half) labor time. I have since been averaging three or so sets per week most weeks.They are finally profitable but now they are tapering off as the update spreads.

You would honestly be surprised just how furious some people can get about wood trim.

inteller

well it's the details that usually piss people off.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Steve, which years were most prone to this problem?

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

I have no idea. I've never seen an EX do it. A few 09 FXs but I'm not sure.

Avalanche325
Car: 2008 EX35
1965 427 SC Cobra (Factory Five Racing)

I just had mine replaced on my 08 (new to me) EX. Covered under warranty.

wwwwc

Any updates on this? My front passenger side panel is starting to peel off. I read somewhere the replacement part is actually plastic, not wood veneer. Needless to say, I am concern the replacement part does not match the rest of the original trim. Can anyone comment on this?

eaadams

Happened to me and dealer said it is not a warantee item but they fixed it for be as a good customer. (marin ca infinity)

Mark Booth

The driver's side door wood trim started separating on my 2008 EX35 at the beginning of this month. My dealer has ordered the replacement trims (all four doors) but hasn't called me yet to let me know the parts have arrived.

QUESTION: For those that HAVE had the wood door trim replaced, how well do they match to the wood trim used in the center console area (around the shifter, etc.)? Infiniti will be removing real wood trim from the doors and replacing it with simulated wood trim. The center console trim will remain real wood. Is the match perfect, or just close?

Mark

EXcitement

My driverside wood trim just started peeling off last week ('08). Looks to me like the adhesive is just giving away per Steve the Tech. I'll see what the dealer says about fixing this.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

for the ones who's wood is peeling off, would they give you the option of having it removed completely, leaving the aluminum door trim and the black laquer center? (I actually like that better)

Suzuki Todd

Bringing this back from the dead. My 08 EX35's driver side door trim completely peeled off. For the folks that had this happen, what did you do to replace the trim? I've searched online and there's a few places that sell aftermarket trims (brushed aluminum/carbon fiber etc.)...what have you guys done?

pilotbob3

Exact same problem with my 08 EX35. Would appreciate any info on those in the same situation who have had dealer warrant the repair.

I have tried reapplying adhesive, but nothing I have tried really works well and trim has cracked.

Thanks,
Bob

Suzuki Todd

My door trim looks terrible. Anybody have any tips on how to remove some of the trim? A big chunk came off but left little pieces.

jakenbake
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35

My 09 was doing that last year. I just took it to the dealership and they were already aware of the problem and the warranty enhancement that covered the wood trim. They had to schedule the appointment a couple weeks out so they could order the parts....But they replaced the wood trim on all four doors for free. That was at Infiniti on Camelback.

j50ny
Car: '09 EX35 (J50) Journey AWD Navi - blue slate

My trim on my front driver's door just cracked. Add to this, my scratched up steering wheel bezel and I have one, less than stellar looking interior :-(

Guess I'll bring this up on my next visit to the dealer, which will be soon, as I want to update my Navi map.

jakenbake
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35

My bezel is scratched up too. I haven't been able to find the bezel from infiniti without buying the entire steering wheel. But i found them on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-INFINIT ... ZA&vxp=mtr

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

those bezels used to be 10 bucks from the dealer. Until Infiniti realized they're missing out on making money and raised the price almost 10 times.

TrevEB

This is the 3rd item on the list of things to fix on my 08 EX-35 All 4 doors have cracking wood trim with the drivers side being the worst. The cracking started in 2018. The car gets to sit most of the time in a cool garage so the issues came much later for me. Hopefully the dealer will honor the old warranty and still have the parts.
If anyone knows of aftermarket replacement kits, please link here.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

TrevEB wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:53 am
Hopefully the dealer will honor the old warranty and still have the parts.
If anyone knows of aftermarket replacement kits, please link here.
The warranty extension was 8 years and basic was 3, so on an '08 it would have expired in '19 at the latest. I doubt you'll have any luck with that. You might need to pull them all apart and wrap or refinish them.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”