My Versa won't recognize the smart key

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
70Dave
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

I put a new battery and starter in the car. When I did this I unhooked the alternator just to get some of the wiring harness out of the so i could get to the starter. After I got the starter in I hooked the battery up to make sure it would start and it did. I forgot to unhook the battery and when I went to hook the alternator back up the wire touched the alternator and it arched pretty good. Now the light is on that indicates the car does recognize the smart key and it won't start or anything, it wont even unlock the steering wheel. I checked all the fuses that I can visually inspect and they are all good but i don't know about bigger fuses that I can not visually tell if they are bad. Any ideas besides just replacing the fuses to see if that works?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hmm, I don't know, I did search this issue and found a few youtube videos that talk about pressing the brake pedal while turning the key or pushing a start button. I searched for Nissan key not recognized and got a handful of results. There is a FSM (factory service manual) that likely talks about how to get your FOB synced with your car. The service manuals are at the top of this forum web page in a pull-down menu looking link. As for testing fuses with your eyes, it's not very precise. If you have a voltmeter, you can put the terminals of that onto the partially exposed metal corners of the fuse and see if you have continuity.

Return to “Versa General Chat”