My new project

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Glad to hear you got things sorted ;) .

Sideways s12
Car: 84 turbo s12

Thanks for all your help sir!

Sideways s12

Just did a complete oil change and changed my fuel filter with the changing of the fuel filter the idle seems to have smoothed out a bit more the dying on decel has seemed to have lessend as well. so it's a bit better now.

Sideways s12

Oh also figured out that the bov I had was causing a lot of issues. So I purchased a legit GREDDY Bov from a buddy and that cleared up a lot of issues as well. Turns out the generic one was leaking pretty bad.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

It sounds like you almost have all of the bugs worked out! Just keep working on it. It took me about a year to get every kink worked out of my CA when I had it in the S13. After that I NEVER had issues with it and it was super reliable.

Sideways s12

Yeah its coming along nicely! I notice the more I drive I have less of that random rich dip while cruising which is really nice. I do still get it, I think it might be plugs. But not sure.

Sideways s12

The random rich dip is almost cured I rewired the fuel pump relay and that helped A LOT now if I can get rid of it the rich at low speed cruising that would be awesome...

Sideways s12

Woot turning up the boost on sunday a buddy of mine sold me some wastegate springs. So let the fun begin!

Sideways s12

I can't f*** win! I swapped springs to a 12psi spring and my wideband gauge took a s*** on me. My afrs were good before it went out when I first swapped the spring I went for a run to see where the boost was at and to see where my afrs were at they basically didn't move from when it was 5psi wot is 10 and it stayed in the normal range while cruising. I pulled into my driveway and wanted to see why my parking lights didn't work. I turned the car on and the wideband turned on like normal turned the car off d!ck with some wires that have nothing to do with where the wideband was hooked up turned to car back on to see if i fixed it and noticed the my wideband wasn't on so stopped messing with the other stuff and tried to figure out what was wrong with the wideband. I hooked it up to where I know there is power and the gauge still didn't come on. The wire harness for the wideband is fine so it has to be the gauge, I'm assuming...

float_6969

That's oddly coincidental. What brand of gauge is it?

Sideways s12

Right that's what I thought lol it's an AEM UEGO but I figured out the problem a fuse blew and the wires it was connected to lost power even after I replaced the fuse there still wasn't any power to those wires. So I found a different source to use and everything seems fine!

float_6969

When are we gonna get some action vids of this thing?

Sideways s12

I have one but dont know how to post it from my phone lol. I post mostly from my phone so all my vids are on my phone...I guess I could upload it to photobucket

float_6969

Yea, you have to upload to someplace then link it.

Sideways s12

Ok got a new issue I have recently turned up the boost from 5psi to 12psi. This issue I have doesn't happen all the time, I'm not sure what to make of it. When I accelerate I get this sputter like the car is rich or lean at certain rpms and if I downshift and get on it it happens on occasion as well My afrs seem fine when at wot it's at 10.0 -11.0 and pulls hard there's just the sputter you can and also some resistance like something is holding the car back. Any Ideas?

float_6969

Sounds like weak spark. Turn the boost down and see if it goes away. It could also be because you're crazy rich. There is no reason to ever see anything less than 11:1 AFR's unless you're knocking and so the tuner dumped in fuel to deal with it. Still though, that can still be traced back to weak spark.

If turning the boost down fixes it, close the spark plug gap down some, turn the boost back up, and try again. It will probably be improved. If it is, but not solved, close the gap a little more. Don't close the gap too much, or you'll get incomplete combustion in the upper RPMS and it will lose power or break up again. You always want to run as much spark gap as you can without the spark breaking up.

Sideways s12

Got it. It doesn't happen all the time either I don't know if that means anything but it's an occasional thing. even on the same drive. I'll hit it and she takes off no problems no break up I'll do it again a bit later and it does.

Sideways s12

Smacked up a v6 mustang the other day. I don't know why he bothered lol He thought he was fast till he realized he couldn't catch me. hahaha

Sideways s12

Smacked up a Chrysler 300 c on my way home from work the other day! I love my ca! In other news I will be dynoing some time after the 16th...

Izento
Car: RPS13

Lol. Yeah, I realized how quick these older cars can move with just a little power. Everyone thinks their car is tough with 400 hp till they realize a light 20+ year old car beats them to the punch.

Sideways s12

Yeah I thought he was going to get me too. He came from behind pretty hard then it was like he hit a wall lol, He was stuck behind me lol his nose was at my bumper but he wasn't gaining and I was slightly pulling away. He only passed me when I let off.

In other news:
My dyno never happened I got sick then was on my way to Sonic (fast food place) and I got into an accident it was a minor fender bender between 5-10mph so not to bad on the damage but I was pissed and still am a little bit. Messed up my driver side fender marker light grill filler hood and headlight assembly. Also pushed my bumper down. I have removed the bumper straightened the fender as best I could semi fixed the headlight assembly ( I can't put them down but at least I can drive at night) and swapped to my 84 turbo hood. Doesn't look as bad and I can actually open my hood now so I'm satisfied for now until I can get the parts I need.

Sideways s12

so I did a boost leak test and found I had a few leaks one major one was coming from the tb shaft I swapped tb's to the ka one it fixed my idle afrs it's not so rich now but it still sputters under boost so the only thing I can think of is I need a tune again. I really hope that fixes it.

float_6969

Breaking up under boost is usually weak spark, too lean/too rich. You have a wideband, don't you? Are the AFR's OK before it breaks up? (they'll often be wonky during/after the breakup)

Sideways s12

It goes rich but it always went rich under boost and I never had a problem other than s*** mileage but it still ran fine at WOT. I just changed plugs literally like 3 days ago so if it's weak spark it would have to be coil packs or ignitor yeah?

float_6969

How rich does it go?

Failing coil, failing ignitor, bad ground, bad power can all cause weak spark.

Does the break up go away if you turn the boost down?

Sideways s12

I can't turn the boost down it's a spring in the wastegate. I did a boost leak test and found a big one in the stock tb and swapped to a ka tb and no more boost leak! but it's missing at wot we rechecked the tune and it's fine The maf I think is f*** maybe as we were checking the tune we noticed that the maf at idle all of a sudden gets voltage to it. It reads like we are in full boost at idle it's odd....

The break up goes away when I back of the throttle and she seems to pick up speed a lot faster than with wot. At WOT it seems like something is holding her back then the break up comes in.

float_6969

Hmm, if you have a sketchy MAFS, you need to get that sorted out before you do anything else.

Sideways s12

Yeah I figured that.... that's why I was asking about speed density

Sideways s12

I haven't been on in awhile dealing with life and the like. Anyway here's an update Car went down about a week ago I fired it up let it idle to warm as I normally do and the car just died figured it was fuel because i was pretty low by the time i got work so i had the wife bring me so fuel. I went to start it and noticed the fuel pump wasnt priming thought the relay went so I bypassed the relay and it still didn't start. checked for spark nothing checked for fuel and nothing from the injectors. So I swapped cas' and nothing. Turned out I wasn't getting power to the relays that control fuel and spark. I fixed that issue and it fired right up! In the midst fixing that the problem I had with my maf has been fixed as well I guess it wasn't getting enough voltage it also fixed the WOT problem I was having. No hesitation or break up past 3/4 throttle anymore! Car feels great now I just need to adjust the timing and I should be good. Once I do that I'll go get it dynoed.

Sideways s12

Sprung an exhaust leak on the top of my dump pipe I don't know exactly how that happens but it's the second one and it's annoying as f***!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”