My intake mod.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

humsafar77 wrote:And Did removing IAT sensor effect your fuel economy, I have read on various Forums that it will certainly decrease the Fuel economy instead of increasing since the mixture going into the cyclinders will not be the most accurate one, because it lacks the part of work done by IAT Sensor
I did not notice anything drastic.

There may have been a slight difference but that could just as easily be attributed to a heavier foot. :bigthumb:

miamiheat3332
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 2006 BMW X5 4.8is - 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport

^ Speaks truth.

ak23
Car: 99.5 Nissan Pathfinder

Hi I got a 99.5 Pathfinder, and needs to get an Air Intake. Could someone direct me to an online dealer or a place near Seattle.
Thanks

ak23
Car: 99.5 Nissan Pathfinder

what do you guys think of this intake for 99.5 Pathfinder http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?act=v ... uct&id=325
The asking price is $255+tax (Canadian taxes). Any expeience with this make/model?

tubolax5000
Car: 2003 Pathfinder SE

Hey guys. Just wondering if this mood applies to the 3.5L pathfinder. Thanks in advance.

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Welcome to the forum! Yes it does.

madison
Car: 1999 Pathfinder 2rwd
1975 280Z coupe

donald wrote:Just finished this mod earlier today.
I'm not the very keen to changes, but I guess there's a "quicker" response when downshifting to speed up.

What I hate the most is when I approach a stop light, I start to slow down (mabye from 45mph down to 20mph) and then just before I slow way way down to a near stop, the light turns green, and I try to continue... there's that short delay before the tranny kicks in; this is prior to the resonator cut.

I did this a few times today after cutting those bottoms out, and I guess there's no longer a delay.

However, I'm one of those anaI folks: I'd like for someone to propose a reasonable explanation of what has changed to allow the transmission to engage or predict a little better when downshifting?

Here's my pic contribution:
the left-most "duct" is cut at an angle because I couldn't position my hacksaw to cut in a parallel line :facepalm:
Are those plastic Utters? Or the Mormon Tabernacle gone wild?

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

madison wrote: Are those plastic Utters? Or the Mormon Tabernacle gone wild?
Udders :dblthumb:

atraudes

Cthulhu's bedclothes ;)

fash
Car: 2002 pathfinder

kudos to you all.

However will that lean or rich your mixture?

fash
Car: 2002 pathfinder

miamiheat3332 wrote:^ Speaks truth.
Hello sir, which one is better in increasing the horse power of a car between,

1. increasing the hot air directly near engine into the canister by cutting or removing the canister or
2. extending the cut 3 pipes of canister to the front forge light, allowing cold air to enter the canister.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

atraudes

It won't lean out or richen the mixture because this is being done upstream of the mass airflow sensor. Thus, it's still able to properly detect the volume of air entering the engine so it can mix accordingly.

There seems to be some situations where hotter air is desirable, but in terms of potential power and these engines, colder air is preferable.

Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

Reviving old thread - Anyone care to post a working pic of what this looks like?

Thanks,

nickelghandi
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4X4 (rusted out: sold)
2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4X4
1998 Volvo S70 GLT
2001 Ford F150 XLT

We seem to have a lot of old threads coming back to life. I will try to post one today if I remember.

Pulling out your driver side fog light it looks almost like a cow's udder and should be gray in color. As for improvements, don't expect any real gains in terms of HP or MPG. It will make your intake sound louder, but that isn't always preferred.

It will, however, increase the possibility of water entry in heavy rains, driving through puddles on or off road, or while cleaning the engine bay. The resonator has a snorkel that goes up into the wheel well. The udder looking things on the bottom baffle the air quieting the sound, but also provide a place for any water that has entered to fall into rather than being sucked into the engine.

I ran mine this way until I drove 100 miles on an especially rainy day and encountered a few puddles. I decided to replace my air filter a day later and it was soaking wet. I put the resonator back in and it has stayed dry ever since.

If you have an electronic throttle instead of a cable, you will get a faster response by driving with a heavier foot. The ECU will learn your driving style. I think there is even a reset procedure if you want it to learn your foot faster.

If you have a cable throttle, tighten it up until the engine idle starts going up, then back it off a bit. You will truly feel a big difference between a loose cable and a tight one.

EdBwoy

nickelghandi wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 am
We seem to have a lot of old threads coming back to life. ...
You know, I noticed it too amd like that very much about this forum. And it seems new owners are coming in very passionate about their vehicles.

On the subject matter at hand, I agree with your assessment and appreciate you sharing your real world experience with the udder mod. I can't see the pictures, but have seen my fair share of cows :rotfl

I have known of engines hydrolocking due to the straight-shot intake modifications (short ram, cold air etc). Such a modification definitely isn't a guarantee for catastrophe, but sure increases the odds.
From what I'm visualizing from the description of the work, this loses the "enclosed-ness" of the enclosure which along with altering the sound, will affect its ability to trap objects denser than air such as the stray leaf, sticks, highway rocks (or whatever else you find in the box when you service your vehicle). Yes, I have found water too.
That's a simple-looking box in which I see the cyclone and helmholtz effect at play.

As to what the expected gains are, I am reminded of this thread that I contributed to.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”