My GT-R buying experience

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

I purchased an October 89 GT-R in February through JSP Trading. Purchasing the car was a seamless process. Though getting pictures or any other information took a lot of patience and constant e-mailing. Evidently Jun is a very busy man. I used this great forum for all of my importation information needs. It is a bit scattered about but it is here, you just have to read a lot. Everything seemed cut and dry till the ISF-10(10+2) came about. Come to find out when I called CBP only people with access to ABI or ACE can submit the 10+2. If there is a way I can't find it and CBP won't help. Well I found a broker near Jacksonville port and it will be $900 for everything to be taken care of by them. That includes all taxes, port fees, and fillings. Way easier that way I would recommend it. Only a month and a few weeks and it will be here. :ohno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrDZdfg ... e=youtu.be

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Thanks

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

When it pick up my car at port do I just drive it home with no plates or should I stop by the dmv before I got to get it and get plates? I'm pretty sure the dmv is going to want to look at it.

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

Do you live in Florida? If not, you can just pass through to your home state and register it there.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Thanks. I'll just add an extra day on the trip to make time for the DMV. We all know there not the fastest in the world. And dang I had a lot of typos on that last post.

Brexfast

Any update on the car? I also ordered from JSP and am getting close to mine shipping. I was curious if it was as described? Definitely getting anxious to receive mine after almost a year wait.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I have not recieved it yet... So being the good and honest people they are, they heard a "mechanical noise" from the head and took it apon them selfs to fix it. So they replaced the cams and holders to see if that will fix it. I did some research and its to me, looking more like a bearing in the bottom end according to most instances. Still waiting to hear back if the cams fixed it. I respect them for doing what is right and fixing what is needed to make a good running product for their customers. It sucks to wait longer but it's worth it.

Brexfast

That is good to hear. Makes me have more trust in them. Especially if it ends up being bearings and they fix it. That would be really nice of them.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I agree the more work they do the easier it is on me. As we all know parts are not "easy" to get. I'll keep you all posted. If it is the bearings it would be nice if they could throw in a 33 crank so I don't have to mess with the oiling issue later on. Just do it while it's out. We will see.

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

Wildtraveler wrote:

fixed your pics for ya ;)

you are going to J-ville to pick up the car, are you a FL person?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Thanks for the photos. I use my iPad all of the time and I'm pretty sure I can't do it like that from this thing. But anyway I am in tampa and car will be going to port savannah. It's getting close.

ca18detgabby

Very cool I'm in lake Mary (just north of Orlando), there are a bunch of fed legal cars here locally already, mostly through Rivsu (couple of Hi-rev). Don't think I have seen any from JSP traders, will be curious to see your experience.

Anyways, welcome to the area always good to have another owner around. I see you have a MS3 as well? are you on Tampa Bay Mazda Club as well? We have a 2013 Cx5 and my husband has a pretty heavily modded 6.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Thanks a bunch. I am not on any sites for the speed. I am replacing the clutch right now the stocker could not holds anymore. Only had 32k miles and its slipping. Went with ACT set up. I'll have it in this weekend.

Brexfast

Wildtraveler wrote:Thanks for the photos. I use my iPad all of the time and I'm pretty sure I can't do it like that from this thing. But anyway I am in tampa and car will be going to port savannah. It's getting close.

So have they actually shipped the car? How far in advance did JSP give you the isf form information?

ca18detgabby

Wildtraveler wrote:Thanks a bunch. I am not on any sites for the speed. I am replacing the clutch right now the stocker could not holds anymore. Only had 32k miles and its slipping. Went with ACT set up. I'll have it in this weekend.
fun stuff. I can tell you the "crowd" with skylines are not nearly as bad as the Speed community which makes me want to punch a baby like 80% of the time...

Well, welcome. there is monthly Nissan meets in Orlando you are always welcome to come up and hang. Going to take my 32 out this weekend and let it enjoy this "cooler" weather we are having and enjoy the Nov meet.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I am not sure what is going on anymore with them. Communication is absolutely horrible. There is still a "noise" coming from the engine so they are trying to fix it before tey ship it. This is all great but we are going on 2 months late now. The only time I get information is when I ask. Like it was supposed to ship Nov13 and on the 12th I'm having to ask WTF is going on only to find out that it's not ready. Bunch of BS if you ask me. I am greatful they are doing it but I think it's time to just change the motor out and ship it all here old motor included.

Brexfast

Yeah that is frustrating. Hopefully they will actually fix your engine and ship the car soon. Communication is not the best with them. I told them a few times about not being able to receive the car until December but then randomly they told me in October that the car was ready to ship which would have brought it into the country in November which obviously wouldn't have been good on a December 89 car. The language barrier is tough as times but it is actually at the port now at least and shipping on the 21st. So other than getting the ISF info, everything else is taken care of.

ca18detgabby

Wow that sucks. Hope you get it straightened out and shipped out.

kabob

Wildtraveler wrote:I am not sure what is going on anymore with them. Communication is absolutely horrible. There is still a "noise" coming from the engine so they are trying to fix it before tey ship it. This is all great but we are going on 2 months late now. The only time I get information is when I ask. Like it was supposed to ship Nov13 and on the 12th I'm having to ask WTF is going on only to find out that it's not ready. Bunch of BS if you ask me. I am greatful they are doing it but I think it's time to just change the motor out and ship it all here old motor included.
Don't swap the motor. EPA 3520-1 form states that the engine must remain in original unmodified condition unless swapped with another EPA-certified engine. Obviously, another RB26DETT motor does not meet that criteria. You'll have to have it shipped with the original engine. As long as it's still able to drive off the boat and out of customs, take care of any lingering issues State-side if they can't fix it over there.

Are you 100% sure that JSP isn't taking you for a ride?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I don't understand your logic there. If you pull out an RB and put in another RB just like the one you just took out the car no longer meets the criteria it does not meet in the first place? How does that make sence? Are the RB's stamped with the vin number? If not who could ever know if it was swapped? Not trying to pick a fight here but that does not make to much sence to me.

ca18detgabby

Wildtraveler wrote:I don't understand your logic there. If you pull out an RB and put in another RB just like the one you just took out the car no longer meets the criteria it does not meet in the first place? How does that make sence? Are the RB's stamped with the vin number? If not who could ever know if it was swapped? Not trying to pick a fight here but that does not make to much sence to me.
It has do with the clean air act, which you still have to meet qualifications for even to be EPA exempt. Putting an Rb25/26 in place of an RB20 would not qualify. Sure it might get passed the port authorities, but later on it can still be a problem if it was found to have not be correct when shipped. I do believe an RB26 (assuming it is an R32 vintage) will still comply, but those who have had a R33/34 Rb26 swapped in don't meet the letter of the law as written. It might in "spirit", but the his whole point is "in spirit" isn't a great defense if the feds decide they want to be a d!ck one day.

This is the form that is filled out during the importation process....

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/3520-1.pdf

skip down to the "EPA EXEMPTED". All cars being brought in under the 25 year law still need to be classified on this form as "CODE E" to be truly federal legal. Sure you can lie or misrepresent on the form if it is not 100% true, but that is a risk you are taking.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Ok I understand that you can't exchange an RB26DETT for an RB20 and call it good. The way I read his/her message was, if you pull out the "factory motor" and install a "period correct motor" (ie 89r32 DETT for an 89r32 DETT) it would be illigal because it's not the "factory motor". Correct me if I'm wrong please but is that what you meant? This is what I meant when I said swap it out.

kabob

That is what I meant. Sorry, I don't make the rules, and the EPA form seems pretty clear. It states a swapped engine in a vehicle must be swapped with one that is EPA-compliant. It makes no distinction that the swapped motor is still EPA exempt if it is the same model as the original. I don't know how they'd be able to tell, either, since Japan doesn't use a VIN system and the engine block isn't stamped with the chassis number as far as I'm aware.

I'm merely telling you the law. For myself, I don't want there to be any question about the legality of my vehicle.

Brexfast

Any update on your car? Mine from JSP arrived at the port last Saturday. It finally cleared customs and I was able to pick it up Friday. It is basically as described and compression test was perfect across. However the clutch needs to be replaced due to it slipping really badly. Hoping to get a Nismo super coppermix twin plate asap. I wanted to do the upgrade eventually anyways. Would have been nice to know ahead of time so I could have the part instead of it sitting waiting for the part and then have the holidays interfere with an install. I am still happy with the car though. It is clean.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Glad to hear you got your car. As far as I know mine is still in pieces. Communication has gone to complete s***. I am sure JSP is tired of me emailing asking questions trying to figure out wtf is going on. At this point I asked them to wait till February to ship due to me not going to be in the states till then. It will be a year in February since I signed the contract. And to top it off as far as I know there is still a "mechanical noise" coming from some where on the motor and it's not the valve train because they replaced that. I asked for a sound clip or video of it running so I can at least get an idea but they are working on someone else's car while mine just sits there broke. Oh and they received full payment in the beginning of September.

Brexfast

Wow. I am sorry to hear that. I can totally imagine the frustration. They continually told me when I asked about the isf form that they would send the info after it shipped even though I told them I absolutely had to have it preferably 48 hours before but at minimum 24 hours before the ship left. It wasn't until like 30 hours or so before when I had my customs broker contact them that they finally sent the info. It doesn't help that they are 17 hours ahead and coordinating that info with business hours of a local place and them is not easy. The isf form is basic info so it seems like they might not be so experienced with importing to the US at least. Being late with the isf form is like a $5,000 fine. So pretty important. I would definitely make sure you force them to give you your info for it as close to 48 hours or more as possible.

It's odd that they offer to fix your car but can't be bothered to send you a simple sound or video clip to help you diagnose the problem they can't seem to diagnose on their own. Hope it works out since they actually do send cars as I was able to receive mine in fairly good shape. So that might make you sleep a little better at night knowing that at least it isn't a big scam.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Thanks. Jun seems like a genuinely nice person but, the communication is atrocious. For a while there he was just ignoring me. Finally I told him I was going to continue emailing every hour until he answered and low and behold got an email right then. JSP has gone out of there way for me and I am greaful for that but this issue of motor noise should have been caught much sooner as to not delay the shipment. Would I do business again sure but this time I would get a lot more information up front and pay for the extra nissan inspection from the dealer.

Brexfast

Yeah he told me the Nissan dealership replaced both left and right front hub barings on my car for $600 usd and would send me receipts as proof but has yet to do so. If he really did that is nice he did so without being asked to, or charging more. He also did that just before he sent it to the Port. So your car is not the only one he waited until the last minute to repair.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”