My GT-R buying experience

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Wildtraveler wrote:Picked these up at Raw Brokerage in Orlando today. Same price plus tax but I don't mind helping local shops.
Niiice! (image that in Borat voice) :dblthumb:

So yeah I'm back to kicking myself... :cry:

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

It has been a while and not to much has happened. I started checking my valve lash that was set by the guys that did all of my machining. Why I did not do this when the head was off I have no idea. Any way all of them were wrong. So I called them up and told them and the guy who set the valve lash wanted to come see for him self. He could not believe how they could have been off by as much as they were. Intake #1 valve 1 was .014 and #3 valve 1 was .022 for the spread and exhaust was .022-.024. Intake should have been .018 and exhaust is .015 plus or minus .001. I am not about to take the head off again so they had to order shims from Nissan and they take 6-8 weeks to make! Other than this small set back I am about done. Waiting on clutch, rims, sway bars, rear brake pads and front rotors (dont ask). Time to pick a new computer and I think I am going to use the Pro EFI.

sevenscars
Car: 1989 Skyline GTR

Wildtraveler wrote:It has been a while and not to much has happened. I started checking my valve lash that was set by the guys that did all of my machining. Why I did not do this when the head was off I have no idea. Any way all of them were wrong. So I called them up and told them and the guy who set the valve lash wanted to come see for him self. He could not believe how they could have been off by as much as they were. Intake #1 valve 1 was .014 and #3 valve 1 was .022 for the spread and exhaust was .022-.024. Intake should have been .018 and exhaust is .015 plus or minus .001. I am not about to take the head off again so they had to order shims from Nissan and they take 6-8 weeks to make! Other than this small set back I am about done. Waiting on clutch, rims, sway bars, rear brake pads and front rotors (dont ask). Time to pick a new computer and I think I am going to use the Pro EFI.
I had to replace every single shims on my build that included HKS 272 cams. Got them through rhdjapan and took about a week to receive them. Finding the proper size was a real pain, as every time I took measurements, it was a little different! After installation measurement ended up being a little on the loose side. The car started right up and have put about 1000 miles on the engine without problems.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

sevenscars wrote:I had to replace every single shims on my build that included HKS 272 cams. Got them through rhdjapan and took about a week to receive them. Finding the proper size was a real pain, as every time I took measurements, it was a little different! After installation measurement ended up being a little on the loose side. The car started right up and have put about 1000 miles on the engine without problems.
I guess the buckets wear down more over time if it is too loose. That is what I have read. I have not heard of someone with this problem yet but with the cost of these small parts I dont want to find out. I looked at RHDJapan first and they only had one of the 7 sizes I needed. So the shop ordered them from I dont know where.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

So I am back at it again. Got a new radiator dont even have to trim anything.

This thing can kiss my a**

I am kinda in love with this

I completely forgot to put this in so.. my great friend rick made this for me!

This nipple was rusted off so I replaced it with this all I had to do was tap it. Image

I made my own fabulous lock out bar out of the old rear steer. drill some holes and put what I think is a strong enough bolt/nut? Image

Then I painted it for affect. not like it matters you can not see it anyway.

I dont remember if I posted this or not and I like it so here it is.

sevenscars
Car: 1989 Skyline GTR

Wildtraveler wrote:So I am back at it again. Got a new radiator dont even have to trim anything.

This thing can kiss my a**

I am kinda in love with this

I completely forgot to put this in so.. my great friend rick made this for me!

This nipple was rusted off so I replaced it with this all I had to do was tap it. Image

I made my own fabulous lock out bar out of the old rear steer. drill some holes and put what I think is a strong enough bolt/nut? Image

Then I painted it for affect. not like it matters you can not see it anyway.

I dont remember if I posted this or not and I like it so here it is.
Great choice on the clutch! Im digging the Suspension components!
I still need a proper tune but here is my car with that new motor:
https://youtu.be/et2E8dPViN0

I cannot get that thing to idle any lower. Mechanically can't find any vacuum leaks and all linkages are adjusted. It still has RS Yamamoto tune, so the new cams its confused I believe.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I might actually have the shims I need some time next week!!!!!

350+
Car: 350 2004

Nice work!

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

So... I screwed up putting my cam in because I was excited! I made sure cylinder 1 was in the correct poss but I did not look at the rest. I started tightening it like you should slowly and notice the #6 cap was kinda tight so I stopped and looked closer and the damn cam lobe was straight down. So I bent 2 valves just ever so slightly! Now I get to pull the head again and rplace valves and re shim... again...

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

So... I got the car running! finally

Brexfast

That's awesome. Is it running pretty good? What's next on your list of things to be done on it?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I am wiring all of my fuel system and getting smaller fuel components together and then I should be on the dyno Friday. Runs so much better than when I got it. Plus all of the suspension being new. It's a new car. And my clock works.

Brexfast

Cool. Looking forward to the updates.

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:So... I got the car running! finally
So how does it drive? Happy to finally have it on the road?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote: So how does it drive? Happy to finally have it on the road?
I just got all of my fuel lines replaced and installed my new rail an FPR/inj I have an apt Friday to tune! I loved driving it before I installed my new inj. The new suspension is rough. It will need some breaking in for sure. Now I have to wait till Friday.

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:I just got all of my fuel lines replaced and installed my new rail an FPR/inj I have an apt Friday to tune! I loved driving it before I installed my new inj. The new suspension is rough. It will need some breaking in for sure. Now I have to wait till Friday.
I am interested in how your tune comes out. Maybe you have mentioned before, but which ECU and what injectors do you have?

I have decided on the Bosch 1000cc, but I'm still struggling to make up my mind on ECU. I initially planned on using Nistune to save cost, but I will still need to spend more money to upgrade MAFs. All other plug-n-play choices offer on board MAP.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote: I am interested in how your tune comes out. Maybe you have mentioned before, but which ECU and what injectors do you have?

I have decided on the Bosch 1000cc, but I'm still struggling to make up my mind on ECU. I initially planned on using Nistune to save cost, but I will still need to spend more money to upgrade MAFs. All other plug-n-play choices offer on board MAP.
I called a guy that has been tuning nissans for a long time. He has his own board that he solders in and it has to be similar to nistune. He said I should have no problem hitting 530-550whp. I will find out Friday morning.

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:I called a guy that has been tuning nissans for a long time. He has his own board that he solders in and it has to be similar to nistune. He said I should have no problem hitting 530-550whp. I will find out Friday morning.
I see. I thought most of these soldered-in board relies on MAFs, just like Nistune. Did you upgrade your MAFs?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote: I see. I thought most of these soldered-in board relies on MAFs, just like Nistune. Did you upgrade your MAFs?
He says there is no need to swap them out for now. out of everything I have read he always say "nope you don't need that I can give you 550 to the wheels easy." He has been doing this for 20 years traveling all over. He has to be doing something right. I will find out tomorrow! Ah I am so excited.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Well it all tuned. Made 546.87hp and 396.05tq at 20psi. I will post a picture of it when I get it uploaded.

Brexfast

That is awesome. Should be a fun ride.

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:Well it all tuned. Made 546.87hp and 396.05tq at 20psi. I will post a picture of it when I get it uploaded.
Dang, this RB engine sure makes pumping out horses look easy.
What degree do you set your cam gear?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote:
Wildtraveler wrote:Well it all tuned. Made 546.87hp and 396.05tq at 20psi. I will post a picture of it when I get it uploaded.
Dang, this RB engine sure makes pumping out horses look easy.
What degree do you set your cam gear?
CAM is still at zero. That's next for sure.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
This was my oops moment when I bent 2 valves!

5M0K3
Car: 96 240sx RB20DET

Nice builds!

Brexfast

How is the lag and power delivery for regular street driving?

M35Squirrel

Next time I will get those RE-71R also. The Pilot Super Sport I have now is like driving on glass when weather is cold.
What kind of brake rotors are those?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Thanks 5MOK3.

Its actually really good on the street. On the dyno I hit full boost at 4400. The power curve as you can see is very linear. It just pulls the whole time. Quite fun I must say. I like the way it builds power with these. Its not that big single bam here is the power, which is fun but... For me that is more of a straight line kinda thing and I did not build this to go straight.

I have the pilot ss on my Mazda speed and I knew right away those tires were not for the skyline. I am glad I had them and knew what to expect. I know the life wont be great but I don't drive it all of the time so It should be good. The RE71R is a great tire but it is very noisy on concrete. Fixed my wheel spin issue in first too.

I am going to be replacing all of the rear subframe/diff bushings here soon. When I put the rims on I noticed the rear end has shifted about 10mm left and is very noticeable. Evidently this is normal for some cars.

ericherm1
Car: 1997 Pickup XE 2.4L 4x4 Single cab short box
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR
1991 240sx SE SR20DET + S13 Silvia Front end swap (Sold)

very nice!

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Bringing this out of the depths. It’s been a long 2 years. Car did well for most of it. I had an injector give up on life and I burnt up cylinder 5 (mainly the head and valves) small pot marks in the piston. 3 and 4 seem to have been burning a bit of oil. Everything else is in great shape. Being it was already at 87mm bore and the det that happened I’m gonna start over from scratch! New block, head, and a nitto 2.8 kit. More to come again haha

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”