My GT-R buying experience

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

What's that next to the fan?

rudenate
Car: R32 GT-R

M35Squirrel wrote:What's that next to the fan?
Engine/transmission sandwich plate.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

Yes my plate was bent at some point in its life so I replaced it. I think it was $32.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Got this back together last night. Just like new. The inner boot kit on this axle came with new mounting hardware everything. I was surprised honestly. I thought it would just be a boot, grease and some clamps.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Putting together another $2k parts list! This is getting old real fast lol. I feel there is many more coming unfortunately.

sevenscars
Car: 1989 Skyline GTR

Wildtraveler wrote:Putting together another $2k parts list! This is getting old real fast lol. I feel there is many more coming unfortunately.
In the same boat! In Jan. I discovered my car was faster than the newer SS Camaro, but after the run my car started to make a knocking noise- which ended up being the # 6 rod bearing. While waiting for the machine work (going 0.5mm overbore), got some parts in. (HKS 272 cams- to match the HKS 2530 that was rebuilt, super copper mix twinplate clutch, N1 crank and waiting for much more parts)

Btw Wildtraveler, what made you go for the 9 to 1 pistons as stock is 8.5 to 1 from my understanding?Image

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

sevenscars wrote:
Btw Wildtraveler, what made you go for the 9 to 1 pistons as stock is 8.5 to 1 from my understanding?
This is a good read. 9-0-1-pros-and-cons-t528877.html

Basically I bought my turbos before I knew I was going to have to build it. Now that I am building it the only thing holding me back is going to be the turbos. So I raised the compression to help low end and provide the same power on a little less boost. Its not a crazy difference but cheaper than buying all new turbo setup. Just have to tune it right. I also had to do 87mm (+1mm) because of all of the scratches in the cylinder walls.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

sevenscars wrote: In the same boat! In Jan. I discovered my car was faster than the newer SS Camaro, but after the run my car started to make a knocking noise- which ended up being the # 6 rod bearing. While waiting for the machine work (going 0.5mm overbore), got some parts in. (HKS 272 cams- to match the HKS 2530 that was rebuilt, super copper mix twinplate clutch, N1 crank and waiting for much more parts)

Sucks to spin a bearing. Because of the new crank I am guessing it was not fixable. Love the parts pic. Nothing like new parts. I wanted to stroke mine :laugh: but I could not see buying new crank 1 because mine was in great shape and 2 they are not cheap either. And in my eyes I might as well stroke it if I am going that far. I just did not have the money for that. I will have spent as much fixing this art piece as I paid to get it. I think I will be right at $12,000 building motor/turbo set up. All of the little things have really added up. All of the external water hard lines were rusted all of my hoses were shot. Basically everything that needed replaced has been. RHD has made some money from me that is for sure. I still have to rebuild the transmission and all of the rear drive line. Buy that lovely clutch you got(let me know how it feels please). Suspension wise all I need is a good set of shock/spring combo and that is done. I was thinking Nismo type-S. I don't like the coil overs because I see them as wasteful because I will never adjust them anyway. Good luck on your car, hope it goes smoothly.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I should be getting my Block back from the machine shop next week. I will throw some pictures up of me putting the rings and pistons, all of that stuff back together. I am still waiting on my cams and valve springs to get here so I can drop them off. I am paying a little extra for them to adjust the valve lash. I just did not want to. I will double check it but did not want to mess with it. I will be sure to drag you all threw my drive line rebuild too. I have not even started research on it yet. I want to finish the motor completely and place it in my bedroom and then concentrate on the drive line. I don't want anymore parts laying around getting in the way lol.

M35Squirrel

So you are using the stock crank? Did you modify the crank collar for oil pump drive?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote:So you are using the stock crank? Did you modify the crank collar for oil pump drive?
Yes I bought the Nitto crank collar to go with the Nitto oil pump.

sevenscars

Wildtraveler wrote:I should be getting my Block back from the machine shop next week. I will throw some pictures up of me putting the rings and pistons, all of that stuff back together. I am still waiting on my cams and valve springs to get here so I can drop them off. I am paying a little extra for them to adjust the valve lash. I just did not want to. I will double check it but did not want to mess with it. I will be sure to drag you all threw my drive line rebuild too. I have not even started research on it yet. I want to finish the motor completely and place it in my bedroom and then concentrate on the drive line. I don't want anymore parts laying around getting in the way lol.
Thanks for link on compression ratios. I hear you about the valve lash adjustments using shims - I should have some expert do that but will give at a go - hope it won't go tick tick tick .. when I start it after rebuild. Enclosed is the # 6 rod bearing. The crank was slightly bent as well. Otherwise block and heads were good per machine shop inspection.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Great news my Mazda had an RB26 bottom end today! Little tyke is big but it came right out the back. I cant wait to see him grow and become a monster.

I made him a bed until I get home from my trip.

Also Also... got these today!

Sadly I have to wait to start putting it back together. But with time comes frustration ha.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Finally home! I picked up my head from the shop this morning. Came home and got the crank in and the number 1 piston. I need a better way to alleviate dust. I also did not think a head and take the thick lube the shop put all over the cylinder walls and flats to keep it from rusting while I was gone. I also need some lint free towels of some sort. They did paint the block for me that was nice. I am building this in my bed room. My wife does not know this yet so that will be a fun conversation when she gets off of work :inout: I am going to fix my dusting issues and get some better towels and continue my build.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I dont think I posted this yet. I had way to much fun with this one.

sevenscars

Looking good wildtravler! Waiting for the machine shop to finish my head, but got the lower end built. Image

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Sweet I have the same set up as you know. The CP's stick up rather far out of the block it seems.

sevenscars

Wildtraveler wrote:Sweet I have the same set up as you know. The CP's stick up rather far out of the block it seems.
Block was milled a bit going with 1.5mm Tomei head gasket.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I am going to have to make some measurements. I got the 1.2mm. I forgot to ask the shop what they took off the block and or head.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Just in case you did not know... the stock oil cooler replacement o-ring does not come in the rebuild gasket kit. Only the paper gasket. The o-ring goes on the inside diameter of the small shaft in the center of the cooler. My o-ring was like a rock and square. yeah fun. :squint: I have a bit of the bottom end together just waiting on parts I did not think about earlier :facepalm:

On a better note I ordered almost everything I need to get the motor together. I am sure I have missed something(o-ring) and other small crap I hope I can find local.

I also bought these. They are on the way compliments of RHDjapan in like 17 fricken days. Damn OEM parts take way to long to get. And they like to ship it all at the same time to save on shipping. eh
http://www.rhdjapan.com/hks-hipermax-iv ... bnr32.html

Almost done with the suspension as well. I am thinking about getting http://www.rhdjapan.com/nismo-s-tune-st ... bnr32.html . That would be that last expensive thing I would need for the suspension. Need to find some new cotter keys and other small crap I know I will be replacing.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

So here is the new new. I made my clean room in my office(with my wife's support).

Finished putting the lower together.

Then I forgot to take out this damn water fitting before I put it together and it fought me the whole way.
I learned this method a long time ago while replacing control bushing in my control arms. Hacksaw the inner and hammer away until it looks like that and presto frustrating time over.
Then it was all better.

I just like this picture.

I put the head on like this.

And then I realized I used a damn cam seal for my front main! they look so similar and are the same dang size. I tried to get it out but I could not save it so... I ordered another one.

Got in some more small bits and suspension.

Then I found out that this thing has freakin drums in the back for the ebrake. I dislike drums BTW.

My rear A arm ball joint was shot. I had to take it off and pry up on the spindle while turning the nut to get it off.

Old
Gutted

More to come later. Now that I have my coilovers I can kind of place the rear together. I still have to rebuild the axles and calipers.

M35Squirrel

I always admire people who can assemble an engine together. I don't think that's a skill I will ever be able to learn.

Yeah the cam seal and crank seal are the exact same size, only subtle difference is the design of grooves.

Sure to let us know your thoughts on those HKS coilovers after it's up and running.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

So these are happening! Most expensive single purchase yet. Minus the car of coarse.18x9.5+12

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I got this back together today. I am going to wheel it out side and give the engine bay a good cleaning. I did all of the corners but I think on pic is enough.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

So I deiced to spin the motor around the other day with a spark plug in just for s*** and giggles. Well on the compression stroke I noticed a horrible hissing blowing right past the piston!? So I stopped and thought long and hard. I talked with a friend. He asked what did you cut the rings to? Well I let the shop boring the motor cut the rings since they were going to have the pistons anyway for boring measurements. I told them
top .24
2nd .42
oil .20
I left out the millimeter part not thinking. But the numbers should have given it away I think.
then ding
Well Here in good ole America, we like the imperial system of measurement not metric. Well a ring cut to almost half an inch is obviously crazy so they decided to make it
top .026 = .66mm
2nd .046 = 1.16mm
oil .026 = .66mm
I did not check these before I put the pistons together or before I put the entire bottom end together and torqued the head on!
So I have ordered new rings and will cut them my self like I was going to do in the first place. Lesson learned again.
I am learning a lot the hard way lately lol. All of this planning and still screw ups happen. At least I caught it before I got it in the car. The journey continues. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Well it has been a while. I finally got the motor back in the car. I am going to put the transmission in separate as taking them both out together sucked and I don't have a clutch yet.Image

Here is my water/rust issue.
this is the cast pipe that bolts to the lower side of the intake $200+. I picked up some of my heater hoses today off of the floor and rust poured out of it. I am replacing all of my hard lines.

I started the rear axles. It was unbelievably hard to find the axle boots for the rear. and I got the diff out to start on that.ImageImage

M35Squirrel

Looks like you haven't put your timing belt on yet. Perfect time to put in a set of adjustable cam gears. I know the Australian forums swear by it, they all say this engine makes a big difference with only a few degrees. A set of Tomei from FRSport is fairly inexpensive, and I have been kicking myself for not getting a pair when I had my timing belt changed.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote:Looks like you haven't put your timing belt on yet. Perfect time to put in a set of adjustable cam gears. I know the Australian forums swear by it, they all say this engine makes a big difference with only a few degrees. A set of Tomei from FRSport is fairly inexpensive, and I have been kicking myself for not getting a pair when I had my timing belt changed.
I had not even thought about this! Thanks for the heads up I will take a look tonight. In all of my builds I have never run an adjustable cam gear, not to sure why. Again thanks.

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:I had not even thought about this! Thanks for the heads up I will take a look tonight. In all of my builds I have never run an adjustable cam gear, not to sure why. Again thanks.
Same here. I never had adjustable cam gears before because I always thought they just shift power band left or right, but apparently this engine loves those few degrees.

When I'm on OZ forums asking questions, they always recommend adjustable cam gears to be one of the very first mods. They also say to stay away from HKS gears because the 3-spoke design tends to fail.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote:
Wildtraveler wrote:I had not even thought about this! Thanks for the heads up I will take a look tonight. In all of my builds I have never run an adjustable cam gear, not to sure why. Again thanks.
Same here. I never had adjustable cam gears before because I always thought they just shift power band left or right, but apparently this engine loves those few degrees.

When I'm on OZ forums asking questions, they always recommend adjustable cam gears to be one of the very first mods. They also say to stay away from HKS gears because the 3-spoke design tends to fail.
Picked these up at Raw Brokerage in Orlando today. Same price plus tax but I don't mind helping local shops.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”