My GT-R buying experience

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

I do have a wideband. Can't remember the name but I'm using the NTK sensor. I will look at the box when I get home and let you know if you want?

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Oh no worry. I just bought a Nissan consult to USB cable, and I am just curious if anyone had successfully read the narrow band AFR off it using aftermarket software.

And BTW the previous owner of my car had replaced every suspension hardware available with Nismo, including coilovers. I really like how the car handles (even tho I have yet driven another R32), so if you are getting the Nismo link set I can concur that's an excellent choice. :yesnod

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Sweet thanks for the tidbit. I have not talked to anyone that owns them yet.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Almost have all of the monies saved up to get all of the suspension components. After this TDY and taxes I should have no problem buying it all at once and slapping it on. Las Vegas for 3 weeks is going to be fun! And I get paid to be here ha

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

So... I get back and go to check the compression and I see belt shavings :wtf2: ! I have about half of a timing belt left right now so tuning is out of the question. I guess I will take the front of the motor apart and see what the hell is happening. I starting to think I should just pull it and rebuild her. From what I have seen I think that would be the best way to prevent disaster.

But it's gonna take money
A whole lot of spending money
It's gonna take plenty of money
To do it right child

It's gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
It's gonna take patience and time, um
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it right child
:boohoo:

M35Squirrel

Hmmm, maybe put in a RB30 single turbo instead?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote:Hmmm, maybe put in a RB30 single turbo instead?
Why must you place ideas in my head? My wife is starting to not like this site. lol

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

The motor is out. Now for the teardown. This is going to take a while. I am going to have to clean up the engine bay there is way to much crap in there. Probably make new hard lines and get rid of all the hicas crap. Eh to much to list wish me luck. I'm going to need it. Oh and money would be nice lol

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

Wildtraveler wrote: Las Vegas for 3 weeks is going to be fun! And I get paid to be here ha
Red Flag?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Yep :dblthumb:

M35Squirrel

Question for OP.
When you bought your Garrett turbos, what else came with them? I see some websites selling gasket kit for the installation of Garrett bolt ons for about $300, and I wonder if I need all that.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote:Question for OP.
When you bought your Garrett turbos, what else came with them? I see some websites selling gasket kit for the installation of Garrett bolt ons for about $300, and I wonder if I need all that.
I would recommend getting a gasket kit because it comes with everything you need. Most of my copper seals were bad and needed replaced along with the intake pipe gaskets. That price is astounding though :lolling: . $195 mark up! I might buy some of these and sell them lol

This is an amazing site I look to for most of my parts. it is some time difficult to find specific items but it is there some where. There customer service is pretty good too.

http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist. ... 44&page=10

Here is another site I use a lot. This site normally has the cheapest prices and they can get just about anything if you ask and give them a part number. They use DHL shipping as well so its cheapish and fast.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:I would recommend getting a gasket kit because it comes with everything you need. Most of my copper seals were bad and needed replaced along with the intake pipe gaskets. That price is astounding though :lolling: . $195 mark up! I might buy some of these and sell them lol

This is an amazing site I look to for most of my parts. it is some time difficult to find specific items but it is there some where. There customer service is pretty good too.

http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist. ... 44&page=10

Here is another site I use a lot. This site normally has the cheapest prices and they can get just about anything if you ask and give them a part number. They use DHL shipping as well so its cheapish and fast.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/
Thanks for your input!

The gasket kit I saw is more comprehensive, as you can see in the picture. This kit also includes new stubs, new oil drain tubes, and new oil feed banjo bolts (which I assume is used for restricting oil flow). The only gaskets I don't need are the exhaust manifold gaskets. The $300 price tag also includes shipping from Australia.

I visit those 2 sites often. But since the Garretts have smaller oil drain flange, I am having problem finding those size-matched oil drain tubes except from Australian websites (I can find oil restrictor bolts from US websites). Also, what are those stubs for? There are 18 of them in that kit. Please let me know if that kit is overkill and which parts I don't really need! Thanks in advance!

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote: Thanks for your input!

The gasket kit I saw is more comprehensive, as you can see in the picture. This kit also includes new stubs, new oil drain tubes, and new oil feed banjo bolts (which I assume is used for restricting oil flow). The only gaskets I don't need are the exhaust manifold gaskets. The $300 price tag also includes shipping from Australia.

I visit those 2 sites often. But since the Garretts have smaller oil drain flange, I am having problem finding those size-matched oil drain tubes except from Australian websites (I can find oil restrictor bolts from US websites). Also, what are those stubs for? There are 18 of them in that kit. Please let me know if that kit is overkill and which parts I don't really need! Thanks in advance!

That kit does not look to bad to be honest. I had to extend the holes on my drain tubes for it to fit. On the garrett -7's the bolts that hold the drain pipe on are about 1/4 inch farther apart and it would not fit so I used the Dremal. Suposidly the Garrett -5's drain is the same size as stock. You would use everything in that kit. The studs are so you don't have to take the old studs from turbo to turbo. I would be skeptical of the quality of those studs. Normally I just go to ACE hardwear or order new exhaust studs. Better to be safe than sorry with these. Helicoils aren't always easy. I have not heard of needing a restrictor plug? All in all you would use all in that kit, would it be cheaper to get it all separate if you did the leg work probably but it might not be worth the savings for the time you would spend.

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:That kit does not look to bad to be honest. I had to extend the holes on my drain tubes for it to fit. On the garrett -7's the bolts that hold the drain pipe on are about 1/4 inch farther apart and it would not fit so I used the Dremal. Suposidly the Garrett -5's drain is the same size as stock. You would use everything in that kit. The studs are so you don't have to take the old studs from turbo to turbo. I would be skeptical of the quality of those studs. Normally I just go to ACE hardwear or order new exhaust studs. Better to be safe than sorry with these. Helicoils aren't always easy. I have not heard of needing a restrictor plug? All in all you would use all in that kit, would it be cheaper to get it all separate if you did the leg work probably but it might not be worth the savings for the time you would spend.
Thanks again for your insight!

The more I research the more I feel confused. Because this is the note provided on FRSport for -7's:

Note: The difference between the 707160-5 and 707160-7 is the drain flange. -5 is 38mm center to center and -7 is 44mm center to center. Please double check your drain flange before ordering. You can interchange either turbos by using the proper drain flange.

That statement matches what you mentioned. But then this is the note for drain tubes I want to buy from GCG in Australia:

This kit is designed for use with the Garrett ball bearing bolt on range of Turbochargers (-7's, -5's, -10's, GT2560R/GT2860R/GT2871R). The Garrett bolt-on turbochargers have a slightly smaller oil drain flange to the factory units, so when using this oil drain kit, the factory oil drain hoses can be re-used. - See more at: http://gcg.com.au/turbo-parts/oil-drain ... ett-detail

So the supposedly size matched drain tubes I want to buy is saying the opposite and now I'm hesitant...

Good call on those studs. I probably should order OEM studs from jp-carparts instead. As far as oil restrictors, from what I can google the ball bearing center requires less oil than journal bearing. If oil is not restricted, the excess oil would cause it to leak. Not sure if you have read anything about that...

I know FRSport is selling the -7's for $946/ea shipped until end of March. Should I jump on that first and just buy all the paraphernalia over the next months? :ohno:

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

M35Squirrel wrote:
Note: The difference between the 707160-5 and 707160-7 is the drain flange. -5 is 38mm center to center and -7 is 44mm center to center. Please double check your drain flange before ordering. You can interchange either turbos by using the proper drain flange.

I know FRSport is selling the -7's for $946/ea shipped until end of March. Should I jump on that first and just buy all the paraphernalia over the next months? :ohno:

-7 turbo drain flange is definitely larger than stock and will require modification to use factory drain lines. Not hard to modify. I am taking my turbos off today I will post a picture of what you would need to do.

That is a good price I would consider it for sure. :bigthumb:

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Okay I was wrong for sure. I took it off and i defiantly had to make the holes closer together for it to work. Sorry for the wrong information earlier. :inout:
drain mod

new Garrett -7

old

I will be buying new drains for sure this time around

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

this is just some fun stuff I have found
just a tad bent
little dust never hurt right
okay lot of dust
he looks so angry
half belt

M35Squirrel

Thanks for the pictures! So GCG is correct and FRSport may have gotten the information other way around.

And WTF @ your timing belt!

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Yeah i don't know why it did it all i know is it was hitting the water pump and maybe a bolt. I don't know if there is an alignment issue with what but I will have to be very thorough putting it back together. I also just discovered my #5 cylinder has a good size scratch in it. Catches the finger nail nicely. Also my water jackets are all completely rusted! I hope a hot tank will fix this?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

As most of us know #6 cylinder is the worst. Well mine looks like the piston as been dancing on it for a while now. I will throw up some pictures of it later when the crank comes out and let you see all of the scaring on all of the cylinders. Most of the pistons feel like a coarse sand paper in the 1st and 2nd ring area.

whitetiger777
Car: 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Since you're so deep, I don't know if you've done this already, but you should get a Tomei Oil Pump and upgrade the head studs

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I have been doing tons of research on what parts and all that. I have a $2400 parts list coming from rhdjapan now. It is just a beginning list. I plan on getting the block and crank checked out and buying internals based on the results from the machining needed done. Once I get the the block main components installed I will bag the block and purchase all of the bolt on items then.

M35Squirrel

May as well make it a 2.8L!

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Let the fun begin :woot:
Here is what I ended up buying!

Block:
CP Pistons 87mm 9.0:1
Manley H Beam Rods
Nitto oil pump
Nitto Crank collar
Tomei Oil gallery Reducers
Kings rod bearings
Kings main bearings
ARP main studs
OEM Water Pump
Timing belt
Tensioner and idler pulleys
Ross Tuffbond Metal jacket harmonic balancer
Tomei 87mm x 1.2mm head gasket

Head:
Supertech Inconel valves
Supertech valve guides
Supertech single valve springs w/ retainers
Tomei Poncams
Tomei metal intake gaskets
OEM rebuild gasket kit
ARP head studs

Machine work is being performed now on both the head and block.

It was an expensive day to say the least.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Ordered this little guy to replace my old bent to hell IC. Going to make some custome pipes and end tanks.

http://www.turboelements.com/index.php? ... duct_id=82

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Finally Got some goodies in :naughty: .

should have lots more on Monday

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Also got to cleaning my old pistons and found this on the #6 cyl.

and all of my skirts look like this or worse!

RainR32
Car: R32 GT-R / 2015 STI Stage 2

I got a ECU with your name on it ;) lol

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Got some new goodies!
what are in these boxes?

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”