My GT-R buying experience

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
whitetiger777
Car: 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R

It wasn't meant to be an attack in any way. Its more a frustration as to the problems we're all dealing with as a growing community. I was trying to suggest a course of action for future buyers since I'm sure a large number will read this thread. I do honestly believe that a large number of these importers, to increase their profits, buy the cheapest car they can and sell it to us at a jacket up rate. Now I'm not against people making a profit, but at lease bring in decent car. For the 20k to 30k we drop on these cars we could get brand new cars, so why buy one that's going to require thousands to even get it on the road

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

whitetiger777 wrote:It wasn't meant to be an attack in any way. Its more a frustration as to the problems we're all dealing with as a growing community. I was trying to suggest a course of action for future buyers since I'm sure a large number will read this thread. I do honestly believe that a large number of these importers, to increase their profits, buy the cheapest car they can and sell it to us at a jacket up rate. Now I'm not against people making a profit, but at lease bring in decent car. For the 20k to 30k we drop on these cars we could get brand new cars, so why buy one that's going to require thousands to even get it on the road
I'm glad you weren't being malicious but the way you started your post by saying "I don't know why you guys buy these cars sight unseen" wasn't the best way to get the point across and just sounded like you're being patronizing. I'm appalled by the way this shop treated Wildtraveler myself so I posted his story on my blog to help spread the word and serve as a warning to other buyers.

Unfortunately right now Skyline importation in the US is a seller's market because there's just such a huge demand for them currently. Prices don't seem like they're going to come down anytime soon so the best thing to do is for everyone to just be cautious and do their research. We should be supportive of people like Wildtraveler though who made the commitment early on because they helped open the channels that we're utilizing now to get our own cars.

whitetiger777
Car: 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Also as a community we need to be very vocal about the shops that sold rusty/malfunctioning cars. A lot of people will say "an importer sold me a bad car" but not list the name. Perhaps as a sticky we should have a don't buy from list. Yes it is a sellers market right now, but we still hold the power, if we don't buy then the loose a lot of money. If we exercise a little patience and self control we could better control the quality of cars coming in. Would an importer bring in a cheap rust bucket if no one will buy it?

RainR32
Car: R32 GT-R / 2015 STI Stage 2

whitetiger777 wrote:Also as a community we need to be very vocal about the shops that sold rusty/malfunctioning cars. A lot of people will say "an importer sold me a bad car" but not list the name. Perhaps as a sticky we should have a don't buy from list. Yes it is a sellers market right now, but we still hold the power, if we don't buy then the loose a lot of money. If we exercise a little patience and self control we could better control the quality of cars coming in. Would an importer bring in a cheap rust bucket if no one will buy it?
+1 :yesnod

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

GSX-R35 wrote:Oh, I also should mention that you're looking for a Skyline only now in August of 2015 while Wildtraveler paid for his in August of 2014. In other words, he was looking for his car a full year before you and in a time when the cars had just started being legal for import and there was precious little info out there about where to source them and how to bring them in. You've had the benefit of more info being proliferated and more importers popping up since then (in other words - 20/20 hindsight) so I think it's unfair to criticize Wildtraveler for his purchase.
Agree with you 200%.

In another word, whitetiger777, where do you think the cars you are about to check out came from? If not for us lot taking risks and buying cars unseen, would the importers take such personal risks of bringing $20k-$30k cars with no potential market? Us early buyers created the market, or if not we at least had taken out the early risks of this market. Hence the cars you are about to look at actually exist here stateside.

Think carefully about this for a second. What if every single one of us waited for cars to be brought over so we can all wait to inspect the cars in person?

Also, think about it from an importer's perspective. I am about to import a car with no established or potential buyers, what could I do to cover such risks? Hint, the greater the risk, the greater the reward.

Us the earlier buyers just make it all possible for YOU to inspect a R32 Skyline GTR in person here stateside while paying only $20k-$30k. On a second thought, yeah, you sounded pretty patronizing whether you meant it or not.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

Finally took the intake plenum off to get to the knock sensors a little easier. The front did not have a broke bolt just looked like it in my borescope.++ But the rear sensor has melted some how. I am just going to test it to see if it is still good. I also ordered all new hoses. I also found a vacuum line that connects under the plenum that was not there? I was going to post a pic of the knock sensor but photo bucket failed while I was using it.

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:Oh and my HICAS started to twitch. The wheels were turning on there own just sitting there in the drive. It was kind of cool to see them work but not really. I will post a video. I think I am just going to get rid of HICAS so I don't have to mess with it.

Were you able to figure out your HICAS issue or did you just get rid of it?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I have not had that issue again. I had just replaced a power steering hose and there may have been air in the line. Although when ever the car sits over night. When I first start turning the car in the morning the steering wheel bumps back and forth until I cycle it a few times. I kind of stopped worrying about it until I got the bigger problems figured/sorted out. 4wd still broke too. I'll post that up when I break into it.

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Good to see another update on your car. I've had my share of frustrations with the retarded stuff I've seen that was done to my R32 by the previous owner so I have to admire your attitude to fixing up your Skyline.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Well, I finally got all of my hoses and intake gaskets and knock sensor and engine harness installed. There were lots of broken connectors on the old harness so that was a good buy. I will say replacing all of them dang hoses under the intake sucks. Not fun at all. The coolant lines that go behind the head were not to bad since I already had the harness removed. I highly recommend if you are taking off you plenum just freshen up everything you can while it's off because it ain't that fun. Most of it your doing with one hand with your eyes closed and praying you don't drop what ever it is in your hand at the time while for me from the front of the car all bent over hoping your knees don't go the wrong direction. I also replaced all of the gaskets to all of what ever is under there. I have no more hesitation. I am still running rich though. After warm up I am between 13.8-12.0 afr. I'm not seeing black soot out the back though. No smoke nothing while I am in boost(afr is 11.2 in boost so that's ok). I would expect to see something if I were running that rich while putting around. May just be my wide band. I guess the next step is a new batt, hicas delete or fix, fix 4wd, tune. might take me a few weeks for these new goals lol. Oh and I need to replace the rear diff seal as it leaks a tad now and then. I figure I would do the while I fix the hicas. Any way have a good...

RainR32
Car: R32 GT-R / 2015 STI Stage 2

Wildtraveler wrote:Well, I finally got all of my hoses and intake gaskets and knock sensor and engine harness installed. There were lots of broken connectors on the old harness so that was a good buy. I will say replacing all of them dang hoses under the intake sucks. Not fun at all. The coolant lines that go behind the head were not to bad since I already had the harness removed. I highly recommend if you are taking off you plenum just freshen up everything you can while it's off because it ain't that fun. Most of it your doing with one hand with your eyes closed and praying you don't drop what ever it is in your hand at the time while for me from the front of the car all bent over hoping your knees don't go the wrong direction. I also replaced all of the gaskets to all of what ever is under there. I have no more hesitation. I am still running rich though. After warm up I am between 13.8-12.0 afr. I'm not seeing black soot out the back though. No smoke nothing while I am in boost(afr is 11.2 in boost so that's ok). I would expect to see something if I were running that rich while putting around. May just be my wide band. I guess the next step is a new batt, hicas delete or fix, fix 4wd, tune. might take me a few weeks for these new goals lol. Oh and I need to replace the rear diff seal as it leaks a tad now and then. I figure I would do the while I fix the hicas. Any way have a good...
:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

I'm happy that you got your car running

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Ran some injector cleaner threw the fuel system and it is running where it should as far as afr goes now. Took it to cars and coffee the other weekend and on the way part of the highway was covered with rocks. Well I got some good sized scratches and new nicks in the windshield. There was a Ferrari behind us that cracked his windshield so I got lucky. Really hate the new scars though. The front was really clean too. Stripped and repainted my wipers because someone brushed on something at some point and it looked like crap. Still waiting on tuning. Can't figure what I want to tune with. To many options and opinions out there.

sevenscars
Car: 1989 Skyline GTR

Wildtraveler wrote:Well, I finally got all of my hoses and intake gaskets and knock sensor and engine harness installed. There were lots of broken connectors on the old harness so that was a good buy. I will say replacing all of them dang hoses under the intake sucks. Not fun at all. The coolant lines that go behind the head were not to bad since I already had the harness removed. I highly recommend if you are taking off you plenum just freshen up everything you can while it's off because it ain't that fun. Most of it your doing with one hand with your eyes closed and praying you don't drop what ever it is in your hand at the time while for me from the front of the car all bent over hoping your knees don't go the wrong direction. I also replaced all of the gaskets to all of what ever is under there. I have no more hesitation. I am still running rich though. After warm up I am between 13.8-12.0 afr. I'm not seeing black soot out the back though. No smoke nothing while I am in boost(afr is 11.2 in boost so that's ok). I would expect to see something if I were running that rich while putting around. May just be my wide band. I guess the next step is a new batt, hicas delete or fix, fix 4wd, tune. might take me a few weeks for these new goals lol. Oh and I need to replace the rear diff seal as it leaks a tad now and then. I figure I would do the while I fix the hicas. Any way have a good...
Good stuff Wildtraveler! Nice to see you take on the adversity and go all out on your car.

I was curious where you mounted your wide-band sensor for the afm? Did you remove one of the narrow-band and wire it in parallel to the other sensor? Or was it mounted farther back?

Thanks!

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

sevenscars wrote:
Good stuff Wildtraveler! Nice to see you take on the adversity and go all out on your car.

I was curious where you mounted your wide-band sensor for the afm? Did you remove one of the narrow-band and wire it in parallel to the other sensor? Or was it mounted farther back?

Thanks!
I took off the Y pipe and welded it in a few inches past the collector at about the 1:30 position. I ran the wires accross the transmission mount to the driver side break lines and followed them up to the booster and into the wheel well where there is a handy plug to run wires threw. I shoot a pic if you want

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:Ran some injector cleaner threw the fuel system and it is running where it should as far as afr goes now. Took it to cars and coffee the other weekend and on the way part of the highway was covered with rocks. Well I got some good sized scratches and new nicks in the windshield. There was a Ferrari behind us that cracked his windshield so I got lucky. Really hate the new scars though. The front was really clean too. Stripped and repainted my wipers because someone brushed on something at some point and it looked like crap. Still waiting on tuning. Can't figure what I want to tune with. To many options and opinions out there.
Personally I have made up my mind to go with Nistune. But until I fix my leaky ABS unit I won't be doing anything else... :frown:

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I don't like brakes and brakes don't like me. We have agreed to just not talk about it until it is absolutely necessary. I am going to need new rear discs for sure. I don't think they have ever been changed. The groves in them are absolutely astonishing. They have to be at least 1/8 inch thinner than new. I'll take a pic once I find new ones? Have you considered deleting the ABS? It may be easier and cheaper. Plus it will free up some room on the passenger side. I've thought about it a few times then realize I hate brakes so ... Yeah

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:I don't like brakes and brakes don't like me. We have agreed to just not talk about it until it is absolutely necessary. I am going to need new rear discs for sure. I don't think they have ever been changed. The groves in them are absolutely astonishing. They have to be at least 1/8 inch thinner than new. I'll take a pic once I find new ones? Have you considered deleting the ABS? It may be easier and cheaper. Plus it will free up some room on the passenger side. I've thought about it a few times then realize I hate brakes so ... Yeah
:rotflmao okay I need to make sure not to drive in front of you.
Actually deleting ABS is really simple and easy and doesn't cost much (only need a coupler and a tee for the brake lines). I am trying to keep everything as OEM as possible, and right now I am experimenting with the ABS unit came off a Z32.

sevenscars

M35Squirrel wrote:
Wildtraveler wrote:I don't like brakes and brakes don't like me. We have agreed to just not talk about it until it is absolutely necessary. I am going to need new rear discs for sure. I don't think they have ever been changed. The groves in them are absolutely astonishing. They have to be at least 1/8 inch thinner than new. I'll take a pic once I find new ones? Have you considered deleting the ABS? It may be easier and cheaper. Plus it will free up some room on the passenger side. I've thought about it a few times then realize I hate brakes so ... Yeah
:rotflmao okay I need to make sure not to drive in front of you.
Actually deleting ABS is really simple and easy and doesn't cost much (only need a coupler and a tee for the brake lines). I am trying to keep everything as OEM as possible, and right now I am experimenting with the ABS unit came off a Z32.
Here is picture of my wife's 90 GT-R with abs delete. It actually stops well with this set-up.Image

M35Squirrel

sevenscars wrote:Here is picture of my wife's 90 GT-R with abs delete. It actually stops well with this set-up.
Did you keep GTR's master cylinder or did you swap it with one from a non-ABS chassis?
Some people say to do ABS delete properly would need a MC from a non-ABS car, but others have also say they kept the stock GTR MC and felt no difference.

sevenscars

The car came with this set-up from Japan. I think its the original style master cylinder -it's even got the wires for fluid level sensor- going to the master cylinder. I would look into complete kit that may be out there? Here is also a video that shows the engine bay as well:
https://youtu.be/Z3bxCaorc9g

nismo1118
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

Did you post the new part number of your turbos? I didn't see it and am interested if the change reduced the response of the -5.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

nismo1118 wrote:Did you post the new part number of your turbos? I didn't see it and am interested if the change reduced the response of the -5.
I have not posted them. I will take a look when I get home and see what I can find. I have not tuned yet and there seems to be more lag than I would like. I'm hopping it will get better when I get around to tuning it.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Ordered some new o2 sensors and I tell you what. What? That will make a crazy difference in how the car runs. I thought it may have been the new pump putting out more pressure causing it to be rich but nope I was wrong. I should have know with the puttering and coughing. Still waiting on tuning. I have found that most of my suspension rubber in the shock assemblies is shot and flat sooo.... I am looking for suspension now. I may just slap new factory rubber on there for less than $200. That covers everything but the shocks, springs, and caps. I really want to get my wheels before I go screwing with the geometry to much. I want to put on some work emotions 18x9.5+20 w/265/35. Plus it drives great right now. Or I could go the Nismo circuit route but dats some money right there. There are way to many options out there for the suspension. I wish there was one great excellent functioning setup. dreamin

I looked on my paperwork for the turbos I bought and all it say is.
"GT2860R Rb26DETT Upgrade steel cage/ceramic ball bearings"

So I found this for you

https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre ... %20%282%29

You would have to ask about the type of ball bearing these have because I did not see it in the document.

M35Squirrel

Wow that is a very interesting discovery. What new O2 did you get, OEM or aftermarket? My car is running better now, but I still think it could run smoother, so maybe I will look into my O2 as well.

I just bought a pair of Nismo upper front arms through RHDJapan, and they were cheaper Nissan OEM. Check their website during weekends, I believe they offer 6% off on all Nismo products during each weekend in October.

Someone put together a very nice table listing bolt-on turbos available for R32 GTR. The "-5" is good for 630hp and maybe that's why spooling feels a bit slow.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tbroom/Turbos.htm

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

I grabbed the OEM from...
http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-22690-05U ... 59968.html

Shipping was crazy fast. I ordered them on Friday after work and selected the cheapest delivery rate at 1-8 days for $8 and it was here Monday. That was my first time dealing with them so I hope it was not a fluke.
front sensor# 22690-05U21
rear sensor# 22690-05U22

thanks for the other info

I don't own a multi meter so I just unplugged them one at a time to see if my AFR dropped more than it was and there was no change in drive or idle. That is my way of saying they were bad. Might not be the best way but it worked. I would have to recommend a meter to be certain.

nismo1118
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

Thanks for checking on that information for me on the turbos!

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

So I drove my car to work (on a military installation) and some a** hat decided to hit my rear passenger side bumper and 1/4 and then leave. They all know whose car this is. I will find them. It was white what ever it was. Lucky for me it's just scratches/missing paint and no dent. Also my wife told me I had to buy the kids Christmas stuff so yeah suspension is on hold till that boring crap is out of the way. I am going with the Nismo link set and bc coilovers. All new ery thing suspension wise. I'll post up some shots when I am aloud to play again. I only drive it on Saturdays to cars and coffee until I get this suspension fixed. It's just old and loose :chuckle:

Brexfast

So how does it run? Is it all fixed up now with an adequate amount of power?

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Yeah it's doing great. Now that all the little kinks are gone. I did notice that running on 93 the AFR is where it should be. When I mix 3 gallons of 110 to 14 gallon 93 is runs richer and seem to not perform well. If I stay just using 93 it's smoother and I get better gas mileage.

M35Squirrel

Wildtraveler wrote:Yeah it's doing great. Now that all the little kinks are gone. I did notice that running on 93 the AFR is where it should be. When I mix 3 gallons of 110 to 14 gallon 93 is runs richer and seem to not perform well. If I stay just using 93 it's smoother and I get better gas mileage.
Interesting info on your car running better straight off 93. Your car really has come a long way knowing the state it was when you received it.

Do you have a wideband or do you just read the AFR off factory consult? My car seems to run a little rich at low end and lean at high end. I replaced the fuel filter with an OEM and that's about it. I fill up typically at Exxon, and I have tried with or without fuel additives and seem to produce the same result...

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”