my first laptop and i hate windows 8

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
SBC 240Z

I bought my first laptop ever here at tech school. Selection was slim since I only had the option of shopping at the BX. I picked up a Toshiba C855D for $399. I love the laptop but absolutely hate windows 8, if I had a touchscreen monitor I can see how it'd be badass but it's clunky at best but my actual problem lies in the F1-12 keys. Originally their secondary function was their primary function, if that makes sense? For instance F9 and F10 are volume keys, I didn't have to hit Fn to use them as volume keys they were automatically set this way. Then I guess windows did an update over night and now I have to hold Fn to use their "secondary function" (ie volume, mute, etc) which is annoying because I may be watching a movie and have five hundred people ask me five hundred questions so I'm having to actually use my brain to mute the volume.

I've searched for hours online trying to find a setting to reverse this but haven't had any luck yet which is BS because we only get two hours of freedom a night and it was spent on this sh*t. Anyone have any clue on this or should I just uninstall all updates?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The F-key issue sounds more like a laptop-specific driver/configuration issue than a Windows issue.

SBC 240Z

Yeah, I ended up disliking a lot of little things about the laptop. I could've lived with it but why? I took it back and spend another $100 and got a much nicer HP, I'm super happy with this thing. The mouse pad is more accurate and responsive, the screen is 17'', nicer webcam, hdmi port, better speakers, windows 8 still sucks but I'm getting use to it.

Phatman
Car: 03 Pilot

I had a Toshiba once. Never again.

As for the FN key, if I remember right, that was a setting in the BIOS. I once switched my network off because I forgot to hit the FN key when I was trying to us F2. Needless to say, I changed that crap in the BIOS quick.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Sorry for being off-topic, but what SH60's are those in your sig

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

s0m3th1ngAZ wrote:Sorry for being off-topic, but what SH60's are those in your sig
I think they might be UH-60 Black Hawks.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”