My first 240sx vert

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
cole d
Car: 93 S13 conv

I just bought this vert I don't pick it up until the June 22 but I'm excited to say the least. I'm a honda guy so I have a lot of learning to do. I'll post more pics once I get hands on it and can really see how much work its going to take.

Modified by cole d at 7:04 PM 10/24/2009
Modified by cole d at 9:33 PM 3/4/2010

s13beast
Car: 94 5-speed silvert s14 sr, 91 hatchback dd.

Looks kinda rough. Good project tho. I say snag it!

cmkelly
Car: 1992 240sx Vert, 2006 Acura TL, 2001 Pathfinder LE, 1996 4Runner 4x4

You've got some work to do but don't we all. Congrats and welcome to the forum. Make sure you get your car in the registry and post more pics. Search if you have any questions and don't hesitate to ask for help.

cole d

s13beast wrote:Looks kinda rough. Good project tho. I say snag it!
LOL.........What looks so rough? I see a paint job and top but overall I'm satisfied.

Thamm
Car: 2001 Lexus IS300, 2003 Toyota Matrix, 1993 Honda Civic

Nice find! Just needs some TLC and what not. Good luck on it!

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Congrats on your purchase. At least body is straight, so you got yourself a good project. Keep us posted.

cole d

I appreciate the email I checked out your friend's car but I really wanted a black vert. You guys are correct it needs work but it'll be nice ride once I get started on it. I was torn between getting a 240 vert and cobra mustang and I bought a cobra(love the look of sn95), but it was slow compared to my civic, the interior design bothered me plus entry price was a little more than I really wanted to spend. So I sold the cobra and started to look for a vert in the local area. I finally ran across this one and didn't hesistant to pick it up. Stay tuned once I get hand on the car I plan on first cleaning and getting it running correctly then I just might turbo it using some parts from my previous civic setup.

cole d

Hey guys I decided to finally update this thread this will be my first mod and its a dozzy.......no more typing here's the pictures

I opted for 1jz/vvti engine swap its being shipped right now and will be here next week sometime I already have the driveshaft,radiator, and motor mounts. Just waiting on the engine to get here so I can send the wiring harness off to Dr.Tweak.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Whoa.. A new kid with a real project.

cole d

I see on your sig your aircrew in USMC I'm aircrew in USAF on C-130H. I mulled over getting the 1j or 2j but it didn't make sense money wise for a 2jz. I still need to buy a ton of crap for the swap but I'm more worried about getting in the engine bay making sure it fits and runs properly. I'll update this thread once I get some real progress done.

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

It's no TB48DET, but it's interesting.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

cole d wrote:I see on your sig your aircrew in USMC I'm aircrew in USAF on C-130H. I mulled over getting the 1j or 2j but it didn't make sense money wise for a 2jz. I still need to buy a ton of crap for the swap but I'm more worried about getting in the engine bay making sure it fits and runs properly. I'll update this thread once I get some real progress done.
<- KC-130J loadmaster

afracer
Car: 92 240sx convertible, 72 Datsun, 69 Buick

Well, I hope that engine arrives in the exact same condition as when it left Japan, otherwise be ready to buy a new oil strainer/pickup and hammer out the oil pan...those pieces always get trashed in shipping. Not sure what kind of flange that stock single has on it...should be good for ~350 rwhp with a little bit more boost. Cams are gonna be a bit harder to find though, or should I say more pricey. Either way, good lookin engine. You need to get that thing painted!

cole d

DeXteR wrote:It's no TB48DET, but it's interesting.
What the heck is a TB48DET?

cole d

The engine is Canada right now the pics I showed were taken yesterday. It's going on a truck Monday. So hopefully the oil pan is okay. I have to hold off on paint until I get the dents removed and engine bay painted first but soon.I still need to order the type x front end stuff hopefully right around xmas for that.

cole d

PyR0NiAk wrote:
<- KC-130J loadmaster
<---- C-130H loadmaster soon to be C-130J loadmaster

PyR0NiAk

Our KC-130Js are much different than your C-130Js. Ours has the same engines and avionics, but we have the legacy style cargo compartment with the removable rollers. Ours is a tanker/cargo/personell/airdrop bird. It's common for us to go do an aerial refueling mission, land, get more gas, then go transport a bunch of people and their gear.

cole d

Haven't done any work to the car but I do have the engine and I got a couple of shipments in so I decided to take some pictures with the future owner.

PyR0NiAk

lol.. nice

Azrial
Car: 93 240sx vert, 1990 pignose hatchback roller

Looks like a lot of fun. I see a future tuner in the making as well. Welcome to the dark side. Time for a lot of power and not so great steering compared to a honda at least. I hope you plan on upgrading the suspension so you can stick the new found power.

cole d

Yeah I plan on upgrading the suspension but money is the issue right now. I at least want to be able to get the engine running without mortgaging the house. I called Dr. Tweak and he said its a 6 week wait on wiring.....which sucks. That's pretty much all I need minus a intercooler and piping

My goal was to keep the entire project under 10g including the price of the car. I didn't realize that decent suspension setup was over 1k on 240sx. Right now I sat at 5k. I still need to buy the followingwiring harness modification intercooler and piping w/bov (since my engine had the factory one removedspal fanstype x stuff ie; front bumper and side skirts.convertible topSuspension---I'm up to suggestion herePaint of courseInterior work I don't know if I can get the rest of that done for under 5k but I'm going to try

Azrial
Car: 93 240sx vert, 1990 pignose hatchback roller

The top you can do it yourself there is a walkthrough on here somewhere it looks like a pain. The paint you can probably do yourself to in your garage and save some money. I have not done to much suspension work yet to mine. I do have some peak performance front tension rods on it. They stiffened it up a lot compared to the worn out stock ones. They are pretty sturdy so when I bent a rear camber arm on it the other day I scooped some rear camber arms from peak performance as well. As far as coilovers I have heard ups and downs to all of them. The ones I have heard the best reviews on have been tein. But they are pricey. A lot of guys on here run Stance coilovers and say good things about them. I hear you on the money thing. Just get what you can now and piece the rest of it together as cash comes available. That's what I plan on doing. I just have been fixing things as they break. Unfortunately my problems have been major ones. I have owned the car a year. Already the water pump went. Then the tranny then the head gasket. Water pump no problem. Not real happy about the head gasket going. But it gets an sr20det now.

cole d

Unfortunately no work done on the car but my wallet is hurting I picked up some skunk2 springs on ebay I should get started on this car sometime within the next week
Modified by cole d at 11:52 PM 11/11/2009

cole d

I have not had time to work on the car been working 60+ hr weeks. Hopefully I get some time soon to finally start the project. In the mean time I've been buying parts that I think would be nice for the car.

cole d

Update, I blew the radiator on my car this past weekend so I finally forced to do something with it. Within the next 2 weeks I'll at least get the KA out and 1jz test fitted (hopefully). Sorry, this is taking so long but the end results will be nice I promise.

afracer
Car: 92 240sx convertible, 72 Datsun, 69 Buick

Some would say Teins have weak sauce dampeners, I dunno, mine are okay. I have been really impressed with the Tanabe Sustec's on my convertible. They were WELL used when I bought the 180SX they were on. I thrashed on them pretty hard doing touge up in the mountains, and then brought them back to the US with me 5 years ago and they've been running hard on my car since then too, including several track days at Mineral Wells. Quite durable, no leaks or blowouts, but they're a little pricey unless used. When I need to buy new ones I'll be going with those again, but in the mean time your Skunks and some decent inserts will be fine. Don't want to go too stiff if you're not drifting, but you know all that. I didn't know you blew the radiator! I may have an extra stock KA radiator around here somewhere. Anyways, cute pic of JJ, I'll show Andrew.

cole d

Motor is coming out tomorrow........the project is starting to inch along

cole d

Finally got some work done the motor was removed last night. Today I removed the 240sx wiring harness (what a pita) and started to remove the 1jz wiring harness. On Saturday I plan on finishing up the 1jz harness installing the master cylinder and clutch pedal. Sunday is the test fit day woohoo. The project is moving slowly but I'm making progress. I take some pics Saturday.

cole d

I got a little work done today I pulled both harnesses and mounted the clutch master cylinder. I ran into a problem with my 1jz mounts hopefully its just a oversight on my part but we'll see

Dirty engine bay

Master cylinder cutout

1jz harness (what a Pita to remove)

KA24DE harness

cole d

I got the motor test fitted on Sunday just to make sure everything was going to fit. I must tell you if you plan on using Zerolift Autolab 1jz/2jz mount kit make sure you get the instructions. I didn't get any instructions with my mounts and I thought I had a bad set. On the jz engine the fuel valve is located on the driver side you have to remove that for engine mount to fit properly(smaller mount) on the passenger side you have to remove the turbo brace for the larger of the 2 mounts to fit. I had to modify the 1jz transmission mount slightly for it to fit but overall everything fits nicely. On with the pics

Tight fit but fits nicely

Firewall clearance

radiator clearance

shifter location

hood clearance
Modified by cole d at 7:46 PM 1/4/2010

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”