My dat rebuild

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
matti

I modified an old singer sewing machine to take industrial thread. (It was an old machine sitting in my dads shed. I had to do a bit of improvising with the motor to fit a pedal to it) Any way this has allowed me to try my own upholstery. I unpicked the vinyl cover and used it as a template. I had some pink/silver denam in the cupboard so I used it as a mock run. I'm happy with it so now to try some more fancy tricks.

matti

I ripped apart the instrument set to find the temp gauge was stuck and a lens was missing from the oil light. The ignition light lens had bleached and gone clear. I freed the temp gauge and bench tested it. Painted the needles white. I have drilled out the ign and oil lights holes and inserted leds with the legs cut off. I used heat shrink to create the tunnel for the light to pass through and now she's all peachy.

matti

I was missing the high beam light lens in this dash panel so I drilled out the hole to fit a nice blue lens in it that I got from d!ck smith.

matti

and the end result with everything working!

Pac. coast Datsun

You are a do it yourselfer gone crazy! Awesome work my friend.

matti

Now that I looked at the picture again I've decided that speedo needle deffinately has to be painted white. I'm doing that tomorrow.

matti

Installed new brake cylinders and flex hose on the rear today. Had to uncease the adjusters and give em a going over. No pics as I'm sure everyone is quite familiar with this scenario. It's my wifes B'day tomorrow so I dare so no work on cars for a while;)

matti

Got back into it today. I have installed the front brakes and master cylinder and partially bled the system (finish that when the wife has more time to help). I have  welded the sill section onto the backing plate and threw a bit of colour that I had left over in the  shed onto  a few parts.

matti

heater grill

matti

I have bought some toggle switches and a relay to hook up the lights. I had to grind down the back of the alloy dash and drill out the holes to suit. I'll post pics later.
:D

71-521

very nice job!
Love the color...
mine will be purple, pink and green...
unless I change my mind again

matti

Sounds like you have the same colour picking trouble I have. Total indecission. I think the pink will turn to purple, as it stands I'm moving in January to Sydney so I have put the pink on as a backup in case I don't get to the paint work before I need to register it. The clock has started!:shock:

matti

Just for the heck of it! This chassis is the beggining of my first L320. I still own it and it looks exactly as seen here.

matti

and the diff

matti

This is a close up of the 120y engine set up.

matti

Today I installed the rear g/box seal and installed the tail shaft. I finished off welding the left hand A post as I found a few more small pits. Put the left hand door back on and it's all looking good. :)

matti

Yesterday I made a start on the right hand sill section. The first thing is to weld in the rear cab mount for ease of getting it in place.

matti

Next, get the sill section into alignment, hold it in place and put the door into place to check for clearances. I use jack for height, a rope slung around the floor of the cabin to pull the sill back plate against the floor, and a G clamp to hold the A and B posts. Then do the welding!

matti

The B post has a bit of rust in it that I will cut out and replace.

matti

The rear of the sill needs to be shaped. Simply use a band of steel and curve it freehand to fit.

matti

For the front of the sill I use one piece of steel and shape it to fit all the way up to the first bolt hole.

matti

The inside of the A post will be cut out. The floor pan will be welded in. Then the inside of the A post will be made and welded in to suit.

matti

More rust work to do on the inside of the pillar. So looking at all the rust in the pillar it looks like a complete remake of this section. Fun times ahead.:?

matti

A look at the left hand side.

71-521

Nice work! The only one else I know that can do that type of work is Mklotz...
I imagine Mike is dreaming of what he will be doing with his NL320...he's a great Fab guy as well.:D
Keep up the great posts!

matti

I saw some of mklotz posts. He's a whip! I make do with what I've got and sometimes it works other times it's crap. Any way an insight to how I do things. Today I was looking after my  two infants by myself so it was go for broke while I had the chance. This is how I start a panel piece. I just trace out the shape directly from the car to the steel.

matti

Then I select my weapon. For smaller pieces I chose the 4" grinder. (This is not the easy way, It's the bush mechanic way) I then cut out close to the line. Then I hold it against the car and make any minor adjustments, like bends and more grinding in certain areas to make the shape as close to original as possible.

matti

And so the tradition carries on!

matti

Bring out the mig!

matti

And that's one part done.

Return to “Datsun 320”