My dat rebuild

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
mklotz70

That makes sense. 

As my siggy says "You don't have to be too bright to be me!" 

I seem to prove that way too often!!! :)

kenbagby

OK YOU TWO. BOTH YOUR WOMEN ARE ZUPERWOMEN! Momma Jill does inside, I do outside. Play nice! Just wish Momma Jill did super welding.............

matti

Well I got a bit done today. I shaped the lower windscreen right hand side. Unfortunately the camera batteries went flat so I don't have the steps  along the way. Basically I  used cardboard templates  to get the  curves right.  I had to curve the steel one way and cut notches in it to bend it  flat around the curve.  There  is a weld right in the middle which I have to grind. I found a pin hole in  my welding and ran out of time. Any way there is no fill on it in this photo (or any of the others for that matter. I need to buy some)

matti

Cut out an odd shaped section to repair this back piece. Bloody fiddly job, but a good result.

matti

Again I used a cardboard template for this inside piece. I will drill a 10mm hole for rust proofing and for the interior light wire to come through.

matti

Sand blasted the head light backing on the guards so I can fit the lights up. I will sand blast the whole guard later when I can use my dads industrial blaster.

matti

I made up a filler spout using a subaru filler cap and a 120y hose. The subaru breather was the same size as the original dat breather so it was a snap to modify. I simply cut the 120y hose to length and cut the subaru fill pipe back to about an inch down from the breather as the subarus fill pipe tapers in to a narrow neck. Now I can chuck in a tank of juice and make sure my fuel system is working. Fun times ahead.

matti

Today I replaced a bent castor rod, cleaned up the inner guards and sanded all the planks for the tray. This is the one I replaced.

matti

A piccy of the inner guard after I stripped it with the 9" grinder wire brush attachment and coated it with rust proof/sound deadner.

matti

This is a pic of the indicator backing plates with a rubber seal I made. My plan is to screw this plate over the original indicator hole using the original srew holes and fitting a set of Narva blinker/parking light combo over the top of it. The indicators should be here this week so hopefully I can have them fitted next weekend.

matti

I got these nylon packers to replace the old rubber ones. I feel safer bolting the seat belt mounts through these.

matti

I made the head light seals out of 3mm rubber I bought from Clarke's Rubber.

mklotz70

Sweet stuff there!!!

matti

Well I guess I've been a bit lazy as I haven't taken any pics. I've put the dash in and started fixing up all the wiring. Head lights are in the guards and I'm still freakin waiting on the front combo lights. Made up the seat belt anchors, just gotta clean them up now. Once again I've played with and modified the carby set up. I'm going to try the original (?) carby but I've changed the cam on the throttle cable so it pulls over the top of the engine. This meant making up a 12mm spacer to get clearance off the intake manifold. Made up a set of aluminium checker plate number plate backings and guards for the rear. Next is the exhaust as soon as I find out what the legal requirements are.

Good day to all.

matti

the rear guards.

matti

the dash with toggle switches and relays set up.

Pac. coast Datsun

Its getting there! I like the purple dash..& seeing a RHD 320 is nice too..:cool:

matti

This is a pic of how I set up the carby cam. I fired it up today and she works a treat. I've tuned the engine and driven the lil girl around the yard. I also bead blasted the intake manifold while it was off. I'm in the process of getting a VRS for the J15. My combo lights finally came but I haven't hooked them up yet as I ran out of wire. I've already used 14m and counting.

matti

overall view of the intake

matti

I've got all of the necessary wiring connected and functioning. I attached the relays upside down on the side of the pedal assembly to keep the loom nice and neat. This is a pic of the narva combo lights I fitted.

matti

A front on shot to date. The grill needs to be attached properly as one of the mounts is broken.

matti

Lights!

matti

Lights with indicator on. They're bloody bright.

matti

The right hand side cause I haven't posted a pic of it yet.

matti

I bought a complete engine (J15) gasket set yesterday for $75aus. Cheerin'! I've done the tappet cover and  the fuel pump gasket. I'll do the block cover  plates when I do the manifold gasket. Depending how she goes on her maiden voyage I will do gaskets as required till I get time to rip her heart out and build it up again. Tomorrow I'm getting new tyres (sorry lads no wide rims yet :( ) Gotta order the windscreen seals through scotts auto rubber.

Cheers keep em rollin'

odpl_Razor

Hey matti,

Its looking great!

the lights are really really bright, and I like the indicators!

In my opinion the only thing that looks out of whack is the side mirrors on your front guards.

Maybe try getting those jdm mirrors

or from fleabay

[img]http://i18.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/10/9b/cb_1_b.JPG[/img]

[img]http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/4025/070nr7.jpg[/img]

matti

Hey razor, still hangin on to your 320? In my opinion the rear view mirrors suck. However I.m going to leave them as is until I get the time to repair the guards properly. ie after rego and I'm finished moving in down at sydney. I will be removing the strips on the doors and guards and welding the holes in. I will most likely paint a pin stripe in their place. I'm waiting on my air cleaner to come in. It should look tidy.:D

matti

well my air filter came in and I grabbed a breather to match. After changing the starter circuit (Ballast resistor drops out when starter motor is engaged to give the coil maximum voltage on start up and then comes back in cutting the voltage to about 7 volts once started) I have now finished all the wiring. I just have to tidy it all up now.

matti

dash is in and complete.

matti

I purchased new window seals through scotts old auto rubber. He had them to me in three working days. Legend! The new tyres are on and I made up my own exhaust out of three different exhaust systems that I had lying around. The hand brake cable is connected again after muking around with sheered split pins and other bits that I found to be worn out. I made up a head board for the tray but I won't post pics until I get all the wood in.

Cheers

Return to “Datsun 320”