My Build Thread - Boost or Bust

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

The 4L80 is pretty damn stout and IIRC that's what the Av sports. The 4X4 comes with the 6 liter iron block that has been proven to make over 500whp with 6-8 psi. What's ugly is all perspective.

The choices aren't many when it has to have 4 doors, be able to pull a 40' camper and be under 10K. Be my guest and search though...lol.

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

zenki tow truck!!!

ss82480
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe

Damn WD, sorry to hear things aren't going too well. If you ever need something man just lemme know, I'll do what I can for ya.

ka-t4u

wd why not just keep it nissan and go for a titan?? my friend found one for 10k about 3 months ago, and it was in decent shape, all it needed was tires and a tune up, its an 05 i believe, and its pretty nice.... but idk maybe down here in fl things are different.... he did drive to miami for that which is like 2 and a half hours from where we live.... maybe am just talking non sense lol i just like to keep things nissan! lol not that there's anything wrong with an avalanche! lol

WDRacing

ss82480 wrote:Damn WD, sorry to hear things aren't going too well. If you ever need something man just lemme know, I'll do what I can for ya.
We're all good bud. I'm prepping for family arrival and Thomas Brian will be born any day now :dblthumb: I've managed to keep my TSP account growing monthly and life will be back to normal soon. I really only need some clamps, spacers and PVC to test out the hacked MAF for the fuel side of things.

Is it me or has high pressure fuel line gotten expensive over the last couple years?

I have managed to get some writing done in the mean time, some day I'll be published :mike
ka-t4u wrote:wd why not just keep it nissan and go for a titan?? my friend found one for 10k about 3 months ago, and it was in decent shape, all it needed was tires and a tune up, its an 05 i believe, and its pretty nice.... but idk maybe down here in fl things are different.... he did drive to miami for that which is like 2 and a half hours from where we live.... maybe am just talking non sense lol i just like to keep things nissan! lol not that there's anything wrong with an avalanche! lol
I won't buy a Nissan newer then 98 and even then it will be a car. America does trucks better then Japan, always has, always will. One of the big bonuses in buying Domestic is $$ for parts both new and re-manufactured. I also don't believe in brand loyalty, that eliminates many great choices. Oh yeah...I don't like the Titan. My buddy up the street just sold his because it didn't have enough balls to pull his little camper and 2 quads. So it certainly won't pull a 40 footer.

I haven't made up my mind about selling the 240 btw, just contemplating. I need to drop the trans and get the TOB and pilot bushing changed out so Kate can try giving her a spin. If she says she doesn't mind driving it then all I have to do is find the silencer for my exhaust. The RS*R is crazy loud even at idle let alone driving at 70mph where the drone even bothers me. The last manual she drove was my Celica GTS, which had the close ratio 6 speed attached to the low torque high revving 1.8 liter. The trans is great if you're into grabbing gears and don't mind keeping the car above 4k. But for Kate...not so much.

WD

ka-t4u

alright well now we are all gonna be as anxious as you are for Thomas to arrive!! because i doubt Kate(am assuming she is your wife) is gonna wanna try to drive with the belly...lol wel wd is nice to hear that things are alright and as of right now don't mind us bothering you about your project, you have something much more important going on in your life, the arrival of another family member is a blessing and i bet it is a super special feeling to know that you are gonna be a father,again!(even though it can probably be scary too), and you or you and your wife picked an awesome name for him! congrats!! it would be cool if they grow up to like cars and help you out on whatever you are working on! free help is always good! well we have all seen the now older one helping you out on some pics so thats a good start! once again congrats!! and screw the car for now, THOMAS FTW!!!

WDRacing

Dylan always asks if we can take the 240 instead of the Van :dblthumb: In fact, I moved the van the other day so I could get the 240 out...when he realized I was taking the 240 he came running outside because he had changed his mind about wanting to go to the store with me. Moments like that make life worth living :yesnod

ka-t4u

thats awesome!!! also moments like that are the ones that stay in your head forever and bring a smile on whenever you need it, that reminds me of me when i was little i wouldn't leave my dad alone and always go for a ride with him anywhere! i used to stare at every single thing he did while he was driving, and probably got really annoying to him lol

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

This s*** makes me excited for Aiden to get older.... He's at the point now where he doesn't like loud noises too well, so starting my car in the garage with downpipe only tends to freak him out a little... :(

WDRacing

Dylan is a big fan of the air compressor. We went out yesterday and blew some donuts behind a local high school. Good times...

ka-t4u

he is learning at an early age how to do donuts lol, that is awesome my dad never did that lol, can't wait till i have kids lol

SiDwAyZ240
Car: 95' SR Slayer, '02 LT Tahoe, '03 Chev Express is the DD

WD, hows the new baby? Gettin any sleep? Just pull a fakee move on him and put him in the car seat and strap him in the car while you work on it. He'll be a sleep in 5 min and should be good for 2 hrs of build time. :dblthumb:

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

SiDwAyZ240 wrote:Just pull a fakee move on him and put him in the car seat and strap him in the car while you work on it. He'll be a sleep in 5 min and should be good for 2 hrs of build time. :dblthumb:
Wish I had thought of that when Aiden was a new-born...

WDRacing

SiDwAyZ240 wrote:WD, hows the new baby? Gettin any sleep? Just pull a fakee move on him and put him in the car seat and strap him in the car while you work on it. He'll be a sleep in 5 min and should be good for 2 hrs of build time. :dblthumb:
Keeping the boys happy isn't my biggest hurdle...it's usually in the high 90's and low 100's here with the index. Working on the car when it's that hot just sucks balls. I like to enjoy working on the car, not have sweat running into my eyes etc. Makes me pissed off and I usually F something up or toss wrenches into the football field behind my house :facepalm: I might have some flash anger issues :chuckle:

Thomas is awesome though and thanks for asking. He's been constipated these last couple days though...time for some prune juice :eek:

WDRacing

So I started on the car again, I had to change my pilot bushing. I was pulling the D/S and noticed that 2 of the 4 bolts that secure the front half shaft were missing. I'm not sure if I failed to tighten them on install last time or forgot them entirely :facepalm:

So I get everything apart and drop the trans, by myself. Luckily it was a controlled fall :chuckle:

I swapped out the pilot bushing and was about to install my clutch when I noticed 2 of the inserts on the flywheel were chewed up. So I have to take that b**** to a machine shop and have some heli-coils put in. Hopefully that's cheap.

The project is started again.

ss82480
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe

About damn time.

idahotuner
Car: 2012 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, 93 Sileighty and 93 civic hatch, polaris ranger 2011

posting in here to come read all of this also

motoman399

WDRacing wrote: I swapped out the pilot bushing and was about to install my clutch when I noticed 2 of the inserts on the flywheel were chewed up. So I have to take that b**** to a machine shop and have some heli-coils put in. Hopefully that's cheap.

ever done helicoils yourself? super easy and the kits are like 35 bucks.

are you too sissy to pull the trans without letting it fall? lol jk jk

WDRacing

It slid off the jack penor breath!!! It cost me 60 bucks to have all 6 coil replaced by a pro, well worth the piece of mind, especially since I was going to have to order the coils anyway.

The flywheel and clutch is back on, but I decided the pull the motor, mate the tranny up that way and stab the motor/tranny combo at the same time. Way easier imho...I gave the trans a few attempts last night, didn't go well. So I'm gonna pull the motor today and go over a few things just to make sure this is the last F'n time I pull it.

WD

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

WD- I've had those driveshaft bolts loosen up by them selves. I think the drive shaft doesn't always fully seat. But most of the time I never really have a problem, but I make it a point to check the drive shaft and axle bolts a month or so after I've messed with them. Which reminds me I have to do that.....

I agree with pulling the motor too. Once I had the engine or trans out i think 7 times in 10 days. the second to last time I just pulled the motor and put it back in, and i snapped the shaft the TOB rides on. THAT sucked.

~Alex

motoman399

WDRacing wrote:It slid off the jack penor breath!!! It cost me 60 bucks to have all 6 coil replaced by a pro, well worth the piece of mind, especially since I was going to have to order the coils anyway.
WD
lol you have never done the heli coil's? man you gotta get a kit and just try it. if you can drill a hole and tap theads then your already a pro. just make sure you get high after you do it and not before... :tongue

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I strongly suggest you replace the pivot fork bolt while you have the tranny out.

motoman399

why is that?^^ do they break often?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Often enough to where you seriously kick yourself in the a** when you don't replace them whilst having the tranny out. You have to pull the trans to replace it.
http://splparts.com/store/product-info.php?pid58.html

motoman399

for that price i guess it would be worth it.

in my ex's car i actually broke the clutch rod adjusting bracket thing (attaches the master cyl rod to the clutch pedal). that wasnt fun. :squint:

i think thats where the nismo slave comes into play...

Razi
Car: Moo

I replaced my pivot bolt too.
The stock one was worn to hell!

SPL ftw!

PyR0NiAk

Just dropping by to say that Brian loves peen0r...

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

Get to working on this bro'ham. Hit me up on AIM sometime. I'm losing touch with all my peoples.

WDRacing

This project turned into a bust homie. The S14 is probably getting traded in on Thursday for a Yukon. My life is just to complicated to be into the 240 scene anymore. That and the 240 won't pull my camper.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

^are you sure about that?

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”