My Build Thread - Boost or Bust

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

kentuckyslider wrote:
PyR0NiAk wrote:I hate to admit it, but I do find the KA build threads more amusing for the most part. With SRs, pretty much everything has been done.
Don't worry, ur gonna like my KA-t build thread. It won't get started for a couple months but she's gonna be a beasty street car. BTW, what is your best dyno or trap speed with the T2-3071?? Always wondered if I should have tried one on my SR instead of the HX35 and the 30R.

I should make 500+ wtq by 5000rpm and rev to 7800 :yesnod

WD, sorry about the tread jack. I'm jumping to the KA-T side of the fence and don't want the SR mod talking to much smack.

I had a 11sec SR for 3 years and this is what I came up with..... SR=WTFISTQ
I'm waiting on Wiring Specialties to send out my new wiring harness. I'm not really wanting to drag it much, so I'll be posting up a dyno sheet when I'm done, but you probably won't be seeing any drag racing posts from me. I would love to know what that acronym means.. What The f*** Is and I'm lost... I only talk smack for fun. I would like to know why you're moving to a KA though. I thought people went from SR to RB or 2JZ... I've never seen someone go backward. I've always enjoyed reading your posts in the SR section... :( Either way, I hope the KA-T goes well.
motoman399 wrote:
kentuckyslider wrote:I should make 500+ wtq by 5000rpm and rev to 7800 :yesnod
can you please make a thread so i can ask you how you plan to do this?

KentuckySlider knows his s***. I'm sure if he says he's going to do it, he will. ;)

p.s. THE SR GUY HAS FIRST ON PAGE IN WD'S THREAD!

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

PyR0NiAk wrote:KentuckySlider knows his s***. I'm sure if he says he's going to do it, he will. ;)
i never had any doubt, just want to know how he is going to do it, i want to turn 8k in my ka-t. eventually

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

I'd start with rods. ;)

motoman399

i dont think rods alone are going to make me rev to 8k. i might be wrong, but im sure a lot has to do with valve float.

PyR0NiAk

That was a joke... Every blown KA (non turbo) I've seen, has thrown a rod.

PyR0NiAk

I want to apologize to Brian. I've crapped on your thread enough man. I don't want to wear out my welcome in the KA-T section so I'm going to just walk away from it. I WILL BE expecting some freaking updates though.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

PyR0NiAk wrote:I'd start with rods. ;)
For 8K under boost the rods would definitely have to go. The #3 scares me enough at 7k, let alone 8k.
PyR0NiAk wrote:That was a joke... Every blown KA (non turbo) I've seen, has thrown a rod.
The KA has an issue with the #3, I think it's a lube problem, perhaps at the pump...regardless, 2 of the 3 KAT mods have tossed the #3 rod, both high mileage motors, both running 20 psi. I wasn't boosting when I lost my motor but the damage may have been done already.

High mileage motors should probably stay under 350whp. However, with a turbo that doesn't suck, the KA can make 350 whp at 1 bar of boost. That's 14.7 psi for you SR guys :biggrin: So big boost isn't required to turn your S-Chassis into a raped ape.
PyR0NiAk wrote:I want to apologize to Brian. I've crapped on your thread enough man. I don't want to wear out my welcome in the KA-T section so I'm going to just walk away from it. I WILL BE expecting some freaking updates though.

Jesus Christ Sally, if I start taking offense to some light hearted posts like we've had in the last week or so just put me the f*** down right there. If I thought you were crapping in my thread, I would have said something homie...I don't get upset and stew on things, I attack.

One of my hero's once said, when attacked, counter attack always. Doom on you Pyro :cool:

PyR0NiAk

Fine...

SiDwAyZ240
Car: 95' SR Slayer, '02 LT Tahoe, '03 Chev Express is the DD

kentuckyslider wrote:
PyR0NiAk wrote:I hate to admit it, but I do find the KA build threads more amusing for the most part. With SRs, pretty much everything has been done.
Don't worry, ur gonna like my KA-t build thread. It won't get started for a couple months but she's gonna be a beasty street car. BTW, what is your best dyno or trap speed with the T2-3071?? Always wondered if I should have tried one on my SR instead of the HX35 and the 30R.

I should make 500+ wtq by 5000rpm and rev to 7800 :yesnod

WD, sorry about the tread jack. I'm jumping to the KA-T side of the fence and don't want the SR mod talking to much smack.

I had a 11sec SR for 3 years and this is what I came up with..... SR=WTFISTQ

See Pyro, even your experienced SR guys are realizing SR = 3yrs wasted time. :lolling:

WD, whats the dizzle on some updates? Out of money, or just sittin around drinkin beer being lazy?

WDRacing

SiDwAyZ240 wrote:
WD, whats the dizzle on some updates? Out of money, or just sittin around drinkin beer being lazy?
Yes :chuckle: My third kid is due in early July...all boys ftw btw :dblthumb: Regardless, the deal with my wife was that I couldn't effect the money going into our savings and investments while building the car. Well I've gone through all of my play money and I'm just waiting to unload a few things and move some funds around.

I could probably run low boost for awhile, but I'm not stupid. I don't do low anything very well ;)

motoman399

what all do you need to get it on the road? maybe we can make a paypal fund for "get WD's car going fund"

it would work!! all the people you have helped. your time isnt free lol.

WDRacing

Well it's "on the road" now. I have to remove the oil pan, weld on the return bung and drop the tranny to swap out the pilot bushing. Those are the hardest things I have left. But I also have to fab the intercooler piping, down pipe, wastegate dump pipe, tune the "hacked MAF" set up and I need to buy 2 solenoids for the propane.

Most of that stuff has to be done at the same time, which is an issue because this is my daily driver.

motoman399

oh i see. so you need somebody knowledgeable to come help you lol. well you might be able to get it done in a weekend.

weld the bung in your oil pan and the plug it off for now. that is a big step IMO.

WDRacing

Agreed, that and the trans are the biggest hurdles, the rest can be done fairly easily. I can even do the down pipe etc and just leave the turbo boosting the atmosphere...lol. Maybe attach a rape whistle to the compressor output...lol.

motoman399

lol ya you could do that, i would think you would want a cap on it though so you dont do a WOT run and spin your turbo too fast.

you should be able to do the trans and oil pan in a day. i think the book calls for 3 of 4 hours on the trans. and the oil pan should be about that same time. but if your anything like me it take a weekend lol

WDRacing

Well Kate, my wifeunit is wicked prego so anything I do I do with Dylan helping me...lol. So that slightly delays my efficiency. That and its 100* here just about every day now.

motoman399

oh s***. oh btw congrats on the upcoming baby :taz: :monkey: :domo: :banana:

lol never used any of those haha. well im sure you will get it done soon enough :dblthumb:

kentuckyslider
Car: 02 IS300 manual/03 G35 sedan auto

PyR0NiAk wrote:I'd start with rods. ;)
eagle rods, arais 8.8 pistons, ballanced rotating assembly, all arp fastners including 11mm head studs, and the full build on the head with supertech valvetrain, kelford or JWT cams and gears and i will rev limit at 8K and shift after 7500. I've seen it done on several KA-t's with no issues. Hell my tuner had a hardbody truck 7-8 years ago with a KA-t revving to 8K on a 35R that ran 11.20@128 on 30psi thru a RB25 tranny. The shop that built my SR bottom end does seriously good head work and did the head in my tuners truck and he feels confident that it wil be safe at the 8K rev limit.

I'm gonnna give it a shot.

Sorry WD, this is my last comment in your thread.

SR=what the f*%# is torque :)

WDRacing

kentuckyslider wrote:
Sorry WD, this is my last comment in your thread.

SR=what the f*%# is torque :)
No worries brah :dblthumb:

PyR0NiAk

:facepalm:

Brian, I THINK I sent you a request on FB, but I have no idea if it's actually you, as I don't know your last name or your non-NICO email.

ss82480
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe

Hey dude if you ever catch me on AIM, just hollar I will come spend a day up there and help you to the tranny and oil pan. Nice cloudy weather for the next few days.

motoman399

see that is what im talking about ^^ free labor+beer haha

SiDwAyZ240
Car: 95' SR Slayer, '02 LT Tahoe, '03 Chev Express is the DD

WDRacing wrote:
SiDwAyZ240 wrote:
Yes :chuckle: My third kid is due in early July...all boys ftw btw :dblthumb: Regardless, the deal with my wife was that I couldn't effect the money going into our savings and investments while building the car. Well I've gone through all of my play money and I'm just waiting to unload a few things and move some funds around.

I could probably run low boost for awhile, but I'm not stupid. I don't do low anything very well ;)
Yeah, responsibility can be a b****. I got 4 of my own, but I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum all girls. I wise man once told me "When you have boys you only have one d!ck to worry about, with girls you gotta worry about all of the d!ck" :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Oh, congrats on the new baby. My youngest is almost 3 months.

Reybaybay
Car: 92 nissan stanza

Image :bigthumb: :mike :mike

ss82480
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe

WD!! Wake up bro!! I demand updates!

WDRacing

Wife is on bed rest and will be downloading any day now homie. My pool filter took a s*** on me, and required a new valve assembly...f*** things are more expensive then GT turbo's. I'm not on the PC nearly as much these days.

Honestly, I'll probably sell the S14 once it's up and boosted. Kinda hard to have the S Chassis for a daily driver with 3 kids...reality is unforgiving sometimes.

ka-t4u

sucks to hear that wd(about the car)... hey maybe we should start a funds to get wd a mini van so he doesn't have to sell his s14 thread and sticky it everywhere!!.... i think if every nico member gives like 20 bucks it should rack up enough for a nice mini van, but then again wd might end up boosting that too!! lol

motoman399

or like a honda 4 door that gets killer mileage and parts are cheap. i would be down to help a little. s*** he deserves it with all the help he gives out!

WDRacing

Jesus Christ Guys!!!

I'm getting older, not dying FFS...lol. I was thinking 04 Avalanche with a remote mount :dblthumb: They are getting pretty affordable these days and those motors love some boost :yesnod

BTW, my wife has a 09 Caravan SXT, stowengoftmfwb ;)

WD

motoman399

20 dollar fund FTW!!! haha. screw the avalanche those are so ugly and im sure the trans wouldnt hold up to another 5 hp chevys are ghey..

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”