My '78 Datsun

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Tracerbullet
Car: 1978 Datsun 620

Hey guys, I'm new to this page. I thought I'd share my baby with you. Hopefully get some advice on some things as well.

I live in British Columbia, Canada so it's a challenge to keep this girl going. Winters are not nice on these Datsuns. I've been having some issues getting it started in the cold, plus (as of tonight) I have some new mystery power problem.

All recently rebuilt...engine, body, clutch, interior. Transmission still needs to be rebuilt and some minor things on the interior. Currently I'm working on putting up some fabric on the roof of the vehicle (red and black checkered), and I'm also baffled by the hard starting issue which I'm trying to fix. Carb, starter, coil, alternator, plugs and wiring are all new and have been tested, so I'm running out of ideas. I tested the battery recently as well and it seems fine (although this power issue tonight is making me question the reading). My only thought is that my starter is bad and perhaps drawing too much power from the battery. It's a refurbished Bosche and still under warranty, it's going to be my next attempt. It grinds out sometimes which shouldn't be the case when it's just a year old. I'm also going to check the carb again. I have a kit for it so hopefully it'll just be an easy fix there. It's a Webber carb.

I'm starting to think about parting ways with this old thing because it's just too much work for me right now to maintain. I'm a student and this is my only vehicle. I'm fighting tooth and nail to keep it though, but the right price may change my mind.

Let me know what you all think!

Chris

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Looks damn good! Welcome, man!

Return to “Datsun 620”